1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Mostly_Red

Red Dead Redemption 2: Discussion & Speculation (Part 4)

Ol' Stinky Pete
5 minutes ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

it was about muneh

:D

Auditore
6 hours ago, Choteron said:

- About the "leaked" map he said:

The general form could have a certain similarity with that of the game map, and some things make sense.
But it makes me mistrust the name of the cities, which do not even look like the names of the real cities, and they are not located that way either.

The leaked map is unfinished?

Sr.Viktor
21 minutes ago, Auditore said:

The leaked map is unfinished?

Probably yes. C'mon, that was leak from 2016,  and we have no clue if it was just a concept or not. The map, as the preview said, maybe it is a lot different now.

Edited by Sr.Viktor
Jimmy Brooks

Redhood979
3 hours ago, KY Jello said:

I'm gonna get Assassins creed Odyssey later tonight only because it'll be a nice distraction and make the days go by faster to get RDR2.

jevity
  1. Okay so Gamersyde is doing us all a needed favour here.

They are deflating the hype ballon. A little.

Google translate :

"We were not particularly impressed by some of the faces and facial expressions of some protagonists during the cut-scenes. Do not start to cry scandal, it is still very good bill, but say that we have already seen better on this level on other titles already out, and we could therefore expect a little more such a title. In a not too distant register, some animations and transitions still seemed a bit robotic, but this is probably due to their quantity and variety depending on the situation".

"Just can we quibble on some textures frivolous (nothing unusual for an open world of this kind) and navigation a little slow in the menus, but frankly, apart from that, nothing alarming".

This is still the conclusion though

"Stunning. This is the first word that comes to mind when we think of the amount of things that we were not able to mention in this preview, when we only saw an hour and a half of Rockstar seems to have tweaked his new baby to the extreme, visually, gameplay and its many possibilities, the staggering staging, the immersion, and this universe teeming with life and details we look forward to exploring. In short, you can always wait for the tests if that can finish convincing you, for our part, we are already convinced that the new reference of the games in open world is called Red Dead Redemption 2, that we like the Far period West and his cowboys or not".

https://translate.googleusercontent...700214&usg=ALkJrhgqGSRdm48_Y4L2MdruTHIKbT-Tqw

Hess1922

Guys, I have a regular PS4 but I'm very tempted on buying a TV with HDR. Do you know if there's an actual improvement in quality even with a base PS4?

GourangaMaster
45 minutes ago, jevity said:

Google translate :

"We were not particularly impressed by some of the faces and facial expressions of some protagonists during the cut-scenes. Do not start to cry scandal, it is still very good bill, but say that we have already seen better on this level on other titles already out, and we could therefore expect a little more such a title. In a not too distant register, some animations and transitions still seemed a bit robotic, but this is probably due to their quantity and variety depending on the situation".

"Just can we quibble on some textures frivolous (nothing unusual for an open world of this kind) and navigation a little slow in the menus, but frankly, apart from that, nothing alarming".

"Stunning. This is the first word that comes to mind when we think of the amount of things that we were not able to mention in this preview, when we only saw an hour and a half of Rockstar seems to have tweaked his new baby to the extreme, visually, gameplay and its many possibilities, the staggering staging, the immersion, and this universe teeming with life and details we look forward to exploring. In short, you can always wait for the tests if that can finish convincing you, for our part, we are already convinced that the new reference of the games in open world is called Red Dead Redemption 2, that we like the Far period West and his cowboys or not".

https://translate.googleusercontent...700214&usg=ALkJrhgqGSRdm48_Y4L2MdruTHIKbT-Tqw

I am not too surprised or bothered by this. R* has never really excelled at facial animation imo and euphoria is still looking great in the game play trailers. It's not TLOU2 level but that game is looking to me like having the most realistic animation to ever be in a video game so i don't think any current or upcoming titles come close to it.

I did notice some not so stellar textures in the game play trailers too, in particular the window Arthur slides out of and rock textures on the high valley vista shot. Regardless that is inconsequential to me because everything else, from the volumetric lighting, staggering LOD, draw distance and incredible detail is the best i have ever seen in a open world game. All in all, my hype levels remain high and this has in no way lessened my excitement for the game. 

Edited by GourangaMaster

Typhus

Honestly, if the faces are a bit off that's not a big deal. Hell, look at the graphics of Grand Theft Auto III and how primitive they seem today, and yet people like myself can play it and enjoy it just as much as modern games.

GeorgeWashingtonxx77
1 hour ago, jevity said:

Google translate :

Does anyone know the date of when they tested the game in Paris? IIRC one of the hands-on previews back in September stated that everything but the facial animation and fixing bugs was done, and they were really pushing the work with those two to get the game complete.

Mach1bud

We've seen plenty enough of the facial animations to draw our own conclusions. 

Looks fantastic to me. Definitely the best Rockstar has ever done, with the exception of L.A. Noire.

Hess1922

I think it's all a matter of taste. I remember Tim from KindaFunny said from the very first trailer (2 years ago) that he wasn't impressed with the graphics, and he also said with the first gameplay trailer that he didn't like the animations and they reminded him of the PS2 era. So I guess there will always be nitpicky people that need to find something they don't like.

Flannelmagic1

11 minutes ago, Mach1bud said:

We've seen plenty enough of the facial animations to draw our own conclusions. 

Looks fantastic to me. 

They may not specifically talk about Arthur Morgan's amimations and there will probably be variance in quality but this is so incredibly good it's almost scary. 

tumblr_owzxsjhXSX1uijsn1o2_540.gif

I'm not really worried, even though they obviously showed some of the best ones in the trailers. 

Edited by Flannelmagic1

Captain_Jalapeno
3 minutes ago, Flannelmagic1 said:

They may not specifically talk about Arthur Morgan's amimations and there will probably be variance in quality but this is so incredibly good it's almost scary. I'm not really worried, even though they obviously showed some of the best ones. 

tumblr_owzxsjhXSX1uijsn1o2_540.gif

I'm not really worried, even though they obviously showed some of the best ones. 

Just noticing the subtle realistic movement of the eyeballs focusing. 

DEADWOODZ
1 minute ago, Captain_Jalapeno said:

Just noticing the subtle realistic movement of the eyeballs focusing. 

R* know what they are doing, that sh*t right there with the eye movement is something even actors get told to do!

joshua969

Gameplay >graphics

Haggis Basher

Quite frankly not taking any stock in that preview. The game looks amazing. 

My favourite preview so far hast to be the Ausie Red Bull preview. Loved that he just set out to try and go fishing and ended up doing everything but for 5 hours. Lol

DEADWOODZ

It baffles me how people nitty pick the slightest things...yet R* create these massive open worlds w/ a rich story experience! And that’s what, like every six years or so?

Edited by DEADWOODZ

Jason

When you create a game as big as RDR2 you're gonna have one or two iffy animations somewhere, it's no surprise, every open world game has the same issues. RDR2's gigantic cast is probably gonna compound the problem even more especially when it comes to the facial animations. Going by the trailers they aren't gonna be something we should be that concerned with though. I mean, they'll pick some of their best work to show off in the trailers for sure but it's not like outside those few scenes the quality is gonna take a dump lol.

INFERNO E100
3 hours ago, crazedZ10 said:

Where do you guys think we'll find the fishing rod? The dude in the red bull preview said he never found one at a store. Perhaps a mission or side mission reward?

Guy at the river side. Kill and mug him for his rod

GTAFanClub

All of the facial animations from the trailers so far look like the best I ever seen in any open world game.

dkunit

I personally like it when websites actually give criticisms like that in their previews. It makes what they say have more credibility in my eyes.

You have to remember that games with better facial animations(God of War, Naughty Dog games, etc) don't have anywhere near the massive amount of NPCs an open world game has. With a much smaller number of unique NPCs, you are able to fine-tune facial animations to an insane degree. God of War only had like 8 major NPCs along with Kratos, I think.

The animations they've shown us aren't the best I've seen in a game, but they are a thousand times better than some other big-buget AAA games(Horizon, Mass Effect: Andromeda, etc).

Edited by dkunit

Ryancoke66
7 hours ago, Flannelmagic1 said:

I pre ordered the RDR 2 standard edition before August 15, so I have the bonuses ready. I want to upgrade to the special edition however, if I do so now will I lose the pre order bonuses? It isn't a big deal, but a question I had and didn't know where to ask it aside from here.

I've contacted xbox support and unfortunately I was told you'll have to cancel your standard edition pre order and then pre order the special edition, forfeiting the treasure map. I just did the same thing. Oh well, I'm sure the treasure map will be online soon after the launch of the game anyway.

Redhood979
53 minutes ago, GTAFanClub said:

All of the facial animations from the trailers so far look like the best I ever seen in any open world game.

I agree. Arthur's face in the 2nd trailer looked amazing

OurJud
6 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

I feel like I'm one of the only people who's not trying to figure out the storyline of this game before it's released

I'm not so sure there's much of a storyline to know about anyway, and I'm fine with that. 'Storylines' are of little interest to me in open world games.

GeorgeWashingtonxx77

Replaying RDR for the last time before the prequel coming out, I find the "Marston was suicidal in Exodus in America" theory interesting.

When Bill Williamson and the two guards aim their weapons down at him, John says "well" so tiredly and hopelessly before taking his pistol out to take the impossible duel.

Maybe he knew from the start that there would be no Redemption for him, only the false hope after surviving pushed him forward doing his tasks to get together with his family in peace.

Hugoat

Wolfboy20
6 hours ago, OurJud said:

Would it be fair to say that from the two trailers so far, the fears over R* abandoning single-player look to be totally unfounded? It's certainly the impression I get, and I'm praying I'm right.

Other things I'm also praying for:

• That they learnt from their mistakes, Re the first-person animations and weapon holding in GTA5

• That first-person is NEVER broken, no matter what action you're performing

• That every single element of the HUD, including pop-ups, prompts, notifications, etc, can be disabled at all times.

Yeah I hope so too..they need to move on from old outdated game mechanics/tired story tropes/crappy ai shortcuts, etc

but I also noticed fron the previews:

-Lawmen are no longer overly physic went they went to investigate the crime scene, one of them ran past Arthur.

-Witnesses have to be close by to report crime..not 3 blocks away from the scene like in RDR1

-You don't seem to get wanted levels in the middle of nowhere anymore.

Edited by Wolfboy20
typos

Happy Hunter

Is this game even going to be on the standard Xbox One/PS4, or just the more powerful versions of them?

I wonder if it can look anywhere near as good. Not really bothered about 4k. Sounds like a contradiction, but I'm more interested in just raw graphics, rather than resolution, etc.

Choteron

More details from 3DJuegos (no spoilers dont worry)

source: https://mixer.com/3djuegos?vod=58632543

- He didnt see childrens

- He saw a guy fishing, he shoot him and stole his fishing rod

- When arthur swims his resistence goes down very fast

- If you eat a raw meal your health and resistence will only increase a little, but if you cook it, will increase a lot.

- No auto health regeneration

- Some food can be good for your resistence, other for your health (the game tells you), other for your dead eye, etc.

Also, a carrot have a different effect if Arthur (will ony increase a little his health) or his horse eat it (will increase a lot his resistence)

- In Saint Denis he saw several gun shops

- The guns are expensive

- You have different leves of drunkenness. When Arthur gets totally wasted he staggers and sing

- He asked about Black Water but Rockstar devs didnt say anything

- He saw workers building a house

- The fake interiors looks like Spiderman (PS4) fake interiors

- In a fight, Arthur punches an enemy. He ends up falling on a bed with his head bleeding. When he gets up, you can see the sheets stained with blood.

- You have two types of whistle to call your horse. The short range (down on the dpad) and the long range (hold the down dpad)

- The shopkeeper of Saint Denis was very scared when Arthur wanted to rob him but the valentine shopkeeper was not because he had been robbed a lot

Dominik1411
6 hours ago, Punkd said:

i see you're from germany too

let me remind you of our USK ^^ rdr2 probably wont be uncut in germany....

i hope we will get some new infos on friday with the variety release of the R* interview

I ordered the game from spielegrotte where its supposed to be uncut. ^^ But I dont think it will be cut here

2 hours ago, joshua969 said:

Gameplay >graphics

Gameplay > fps > graphics