2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

DeathMachine15

How do you feel about sports games?

DeathMachine15

NHL, FIFA, Madden, NBA 2K, MLB the show, etc. Whenever I go anywhere on the internet for any of these games, it's nothing but extreme hate for the newest entry. Sure they're the almost the same game every year, but the same can be said for any other annually released franchise. Not all of them are great, hell I've even hated some of them myself (cough, 2K18, cough) but I don't hate every single one that comes out every year. What is your opinion on the sports franchises?

Edited by DeathMachine15
Grammar fix

KY Jello

They're fun if you like the sport or a fan. They really need to stop removing features then adding them back later. Sometimes gameplay feels a bit too arcadey. Some of the communities can be kinda toxic. Exclusive deals like the one EA has with the NFL suck.

The only sports game I buy yearly is NBA 2k. Even if they get a lot of sh*t for microtransactions, bugs, other stuff They always put a lot of work into it. Every other sports game I wait for a price drop or buy every other year.

Edited by KY Jello

Mexicola9302

All the sports that have a ball or something similar in it are just boring IMO. Im more a fan of racing games, sure it's also always the same, but yeah it's another sport.

If sports then only racing for me, sure it's also very repetetive but not that extreme like in ball sports.

Sinner!

I enjoy Madden as I love the NFL, but that's about it as far as sports games go for me & I only play it on the occasion.  

I wish EA would make a new Rugby & Boxing game. 

Flachbau

I wish we had a good MLB game on Xbox.. that's all I care about. I'm not buying a PS4 just for The Show. Even if EA enters the arena again, I hope to god it's at least decent cause I guarantee I'll log hundreds of hours.

Miamivicecity

The funny thing is I don't watch NFL, the NBA etc yet I don't mind playing the games. Hell I'd struggle to watch golf on TV yet a golf game can be weirdly fun.

I don't buy them every year, but I have bought the last couple of Madden games because I like the franchise mode and being in charge so to speak.

Nico

They are mere cash cows for their respective publishers. And such publishers can rely on the fact that most stick and ball fans will always buy them religiously every year regardless of anything.

I only care about motorsports, and despite this I don't even care about the annaulized F1 series because Codemasters is f*cking incompetent. You can easily replicate F1 races with some mods in Assetto Corsa. Is not as fancy, but if you do really care about racing you don't need to see HD renditions of the faces of your mechanics and your chief engineer in the box, or answer the sh*tty questions of the journalists after every single f*cking race. It's supposed to be a racing simulator, not a "driver life" simulator. But I guess that's what most people want today, to be in the shoes of their idols at every single moment and not just when they do their thing.

The Coconut Kid

A few months ago I decided on the off chance that I would buy FIFA 18. I haven't played a FIFA game since... I don't know, 2004? 2005? Which ever year had Patrick Vieira on the cover. In an Arsenal top.

I really enjoyed it. I had a lot of fun with the Career Mode and thought 'The Journey' mode was great. But it also felt quite obvious that the monetized aspects of the game are given priority.

It's impossible to avoid the attention given to the 'Ultimate Team' mode, from the endless notifications on your dashboard, to the in game prompts and it's even advertised on the billboards at the stadiums you're playing at in the game. From what I gather, to get the most out of this mode you have to buy tonnes and tonnes of packs to assemble the best squad. Of course, the kids (or their parents) buy these by the dozen.

Then again, the depth of FIFA's football content is something to behold. I lost count of how many leagues and competitions they've licensed, how many player faces they've scanned, all the accurate kits. No jokey teams like "North East London" in the old PES games. All of this costs money and it's only fair they recoup their investment. How they go about this is debatable of course.

I got what I wanted out of FIFA18: a kick about with my local team and taking them from the lower divisions to the Premier League. But I won't be purchasing FIFA19 to repeat the same process with the same unchanged features.

Miamivicecity
1 hour ago, Nico said:

They are mere cash cows for their respective publishers. And such publishers can rely on the fact that most stick and ball fans will always buy them religiously every year regardless of anything.

I only care about motorsports, and despite this I don't even care about the annaulized F1 series because Codemasters is f*cking incompetent. You can easily replicate F1 races with some mods in Assetto Corsa. Is not as fancy, but if you do really care about racing you don't need to see HD renditions of the faces of your mechanics and your chief engineer in the box, or answer the sh*tty questions of the journalists after every single f*cking race. It's supposed to be a racing simulator, not a "driver life" simulator. But I guess that's what most people want today, to be in the shoes of their idols at every single moment and not just when they do their thing.

To be fair the F1 games are one of the better ones. Career mode has been slowly improving since it was brought back in F12016, but it still needs more depth. The new "media questions" in this year's game kinda feels pointless to me though.

I like that they've been paying homage to classic F1 cars, but the lack of classic tracks is puzzling. I also think the series could do with the feeder categories such as GP3 and F2 pretty much like how the MotoGP games do it with Moto3 and Moto2. If it were me I would also include some kind of classic career mode where we can choose to be a legend like Alain Prost, Aryton Senna, Niki Lauda etc and relive pivotal moments in their careers.

luisniko

I don't care. They serve sports fan then so be it. Though I myself have no idea what's new by each year apart from better graphic and team personnel.

it's nothing but extreme hate for the newest entry.

That's just one of gaming community's cancerous behavior. Nothing new to me.

I get bored way too fast with them. I sold my copy of NBA2K16 after a week. I finished the career of UFC2 and haven't touched it since. I only played Fifa 15 when friends came over.

It's not about a grudge against microtransacrions. It's boredom.

Edited by 1972

Mister Pink
10 hours ago, xXxRyanxXx said:

The funny thing is I don't watch NFL, the NBA etc yet I don't mind playing the games. Hell I'd struggle to watch golf on TV yet a golf game can be weirdly fun.

I don't buy them every year, but I have bought the last couple of Madden games because I like the franchise mode and being in charge so to speak.

Same for me with FIFA, mostly. In fact my mild interest in football came from playing FIFA. Football actually translates so well into a video game, I'm sure it's the same for American Football and Basketball. They're the perfect couch co-op and 2 player games. 

I only buy FIFA once every two years. I got FIFA 18 and by the end I uninstalled it a couple of times out of frustration. I like playing that game online but it gives me stress. I much rather play with a mate, in the same room.

But yeah, a good way to not stay angry at annual releases to not buy them every year ;) Next FIFA I'll get will be FIFA 20 or PES. Although even if you buy it bi-annually, there's not much difference, although it's good to get a break from it for a good few months. 

trip

Rumor is Madden is going to leave the annual release cycle and just become a base game.  Knowing EA; the 'annual release' will probably be replaced with paid DLC to capture any changes in the league through the year.

In real life I'm a fan of NFL and NHL but I enjoy playing all sports games.

I hate golf in real life...love playing it as a video game.  I was actually bummed out when EA removed Kinect from their golf entry(after Tiger Woods).

Edited by trip

HaRdSTyLe_83

i think my last Fifa was in 2010, unless you want some fresh graphics or player switching teams, its all the same. some new modes like carrer etc, but nothing that would make me pay 60$ for a game like that

i would love to see a game with 11 playes vs 11 players :)

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83

ZekoX

I like Sports games, they're fun but not longer at all for me. Look at FIFA or PES, they're just boring from now on. My last FIFA was probably 08 and I pretty much loved it playing on Windows XP.

I heard there's also a good FIFA 14, never played it.

But my favorite FIFA and PES will be 08. They're awesome at their time, no need to compare the graphics.

Cutter De Blanc

Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES is my favorite football game so...

Fireman

My main problem with them is that they are behind so much compared to other genres in terms of graphics and A.I.

I'm pretty sure FIFA had animated textures as crowds until FIFA 16 or 17.

It's the only sports games I play a lot. Spend at least 3000 hours on FIFA games so far, so I clearly don't hate them, I just wish they sucked less.

Mister Pink
1 hour ago, Fireman said:

My main problem with them is that they are behind so much compared to other genres in terms of graphics and A.I.

I'm pretty sure FIFA had animated textures as crowds until FIFA 16 or 17.

It's the only sports games I play a lot. Spend at least 3000 hours on FIFA games so far, so I clearly don't hate them, I just wish they sucked less.

Yeah and the pre-rendered parts were always choppy af up until around 17/18. 

feckyerlife
18 hours ago, trip said:

Rumor is Madden is going to leave the annual release cycle and just become a base game.  Knowing EA; the 'annual release' will probably be replaced with paid DLC to capture any changes in the league through the year.

In real life I'm a fan of NFL and NHL but I enjoy playing all sports games.

I hate golf in real life...love playing it as a video game.  I was actually bummed out when EA removed Kinect from their golf entry(after Tiger Woods).

I wish they never got rid of NFL 2k because madden went to complete sh*t after EA got the license.  At this point they should just make it a live service game, they barely change anything year after year.  Each new madden is basically just a roster updated. The last good madden was 2011/2012. Heck this years madden has a lot of bugs and they still havent put out a patch to fix it. 

Edited by feckyerlife

Pocket Fox

I think the extreme hate is because Take Two and EA have doubled down on their microtransactions in the more recent iterations of these games and people are simply fed up!

We already pay full price for what is a yearly roster change with 1 meaningless feature added.

Now they've adopted a free to play grind/gaming model for a full price game. They've basically become mobile games... but for $60-$70+ USD

JON22

I'd only play a sports game if it was a remaster of *Dead Ball Zone that I played (and might still have) on the ps1. That game had machine guns, chainsaws, pile drivers, bomb balls and you could kick them in the nuts. Real sports is boring.

*All the button combinations for the moves in Dead Ball Zone were in the foreign section of the book, while in the English language all it showed was the name of the moves.

trip
5 hours ago, feckyerlife said:

I wish they never got rid of NFL 2k because madden went to complete sh*t after EA got the license.  At this point they should just make it a live service game, they barely change anything year after year.  Each new madden is basically just a roster updated. The last good madden was 2011/2012. Heck this years madden has a lot of bugs and they still havent put out a patch to fix it. 

The weird thing with the NFL is it isn't uncommon for rule changes to happen between seasons.  So you kind of need to keep your NFL football game up to to date annually.  If not your going to be kicking off from the wrong yard line and running formations that are now deemed illegal.

Laker23

I used to buy FIFA every year when I was younger but haven't played one of those for a while, despite being a huge football fan.

I love the 2K games but the microtransactions put me off hugely. I bought 2k17 which was excellent fun, but everything took too long in terms of levelling up your character in my career, and I no longer have the time to play games religiously or devote myself to just one main game for the year like I used to with FIFA.

In general I don't think most of them offer enough new each year to warrant an upgrade, but I think that's obvious by now.

bigraj

Since I've no interest in competing with online gamers, I don't feel the need to buy the latest and greatest version of whatever every year.  I'll generally stick to one football and basketball game I like per generation.  Hell, I'm still playing Madden '12 for the PS3 since I haven't liked the couple of current gen Madden games I've tried.  

DeathMachine15
On 9/25/2018 at 12:29 AM, Fireman said:

I believe that is because they don't have as high of a budget as games in other genres.

KY Jello

I'm surprised EA hasn't copied 2k and done something like the neighborhood for FIFA. They'd make a killing with all the microtransactions the only problem would be the servers being ass.

Edited by KY Jello

Fireman
On 9/26/2018 at 11:50 PM, DeathMachine15 said:

I believe that is because they don't have as high of a budget as games in other genres.

Perhaps, but they make a ton of money, regardless.

HaRdSTyLe_83
On 9/26/2018 at 10:50 PM, DeathMachine15 said:

They have the biggest budget, considering its the same game, year after year, minor changes like new players or features, but its not like they made a new game from scratch

Timcatgt5

The only sports games I played on a frequent basis were the Tiger Woods PGA Tour franchise (if racing motor cars counts as a sport then I'd include that on the list) 

My favourite was PGA Tour 2003 (with a pretty good intro and music), had a few features like the Pro Shop and unlocking items, and it featured my local golf course where I only live about a 10 minute walk away (Royal Birkdale). 

PGA Tour 2004 was a step up from the previous game as well. It had the new Game Face feature so I can customise it to look like my real self, buying golf accessories and changing attributes, real time events, World Tour, PGA tournaments and quite a lot of other things.