Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. Los Santos Tuners
      2. Updates
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Blood Money
      2. Frontier Pursuits
      3. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      4. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. GTA San Andreas

      1. Classic GTA SA
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    2. GTA Vice City

      1. Classic GTA VC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    3. GTA III

      1. Classic GTA III
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. Bugs*

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    2. GTA VI

    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    6. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

      1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

Red Dead Redemption 2: Discussion & Speculation (Part 3)


RougeBandit
 Share

  • Replies 29.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • joshua969

    1250

  • 1454657246

    1055

  • damienrayemusic

    1330

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, JustAMetalHead said:

I don't know how to do that yet. I created this account a while ago but I never really used it until recently.

 LOL I'm basically saying, look at my avatar. You're not the only fan of The Hateful Eight.

 

I've got the limited Mondo print hanging in the living room where my avatar is from too, along with a terrific 1/6 scale figure of John "The Hangman" Ruth by Asmus. I'll have to post a snap some time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SneakyDeaky
7 hours ago, BretMaverick777 said:

See, THIS guy gets it.  👍😀

 

I didn't know about the leaked reddit article, but yeah, that definitely lends weight to the growing possibility that the game ends with an epilogue of the interim years at Beecher's Hope, with a playable Marston getting to build Beecher's Hope from scratch.  (God knows there's still plenty of stories to tell about that, including how Ross manages to kidnap Abigail and Jack, and solve the mystery about where the hell John was during that time.)

 

That's gotta mean an epilogue leading up to Cochinay as well.   Maybe Arthur accompanies Dutch there, to their last hideout, and makes his final choice there about whether to leave or still have Dutch's bag.   (In which case spoiler alert, Arthur's gotta die, and he's gotta do it before John gets there. Just sayin'.)  

here's a screenshot i found of the leak in case you never saw it. it was posted sometime in 2015/2016? A year or so before Rockstar announced the premise? The map leaked around the same time or perhaps earlier.

 

Spoiler

utwbGNs.png

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

damienrayemusic
9 minutes ago, DGSimo said:

 LOL I'm basically saying, look at my avatar. You're not the only fan of The Hateful Eight.

 

I've got the limited Mondo print hanging in the living room where my avatar is from too, along with a terrific 1/6 scale figure of John "The Hangman" Ruth by Asmus. I'll have to post a snap some time.

Now I realize what your picture is all about 😁 after seeing the movie I realized who and what it was. John Ruth is a badass

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hugoat said:

The realism of this game can bring scary nights in the woods. I'm looking forward to it.

Hell yeah :sly: Add some of that eerie fog and distant owl noises and boom. The whole woods would just give you shivers. Similar like this screenshot.

 

1a8b4G2.jpg

 

You get that feeling that of being watched in the far distance then your horse starts freaking out while you struggle to hold your lantern etc... 

 

Damn, one hell of a sequal is this going to be!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, SneakyDeaky said:

here's a screenshot i found of the leak in case you never saw it. it was posted sometime in 2015/2016? A year or so before Rockstar announced the premise? The map leaked around the same time or perhaps earlier.

  Hide contents

utwbGNs.png

 

"When you go out on a mission you will choose who to take with you" Not sure if this leak is real or not, but that sounds amazing. I'm looking forward to some Sadie and Arthur action. 😏

Edited by vKing
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

YamatheKreature47
3 minutes ago, vKing said:

"When you go out on a mission you will choose who to take with you" Not sure if this leak is real or not, but that sounds amazing. I'm looking forward to some Sadie and Arthur action. 😏

The choosing who you take with you has been confirmed by all the game sites who've seen the game. It builds relationships between Arthur and the other members. Some temporary members that you can recruit can get injured or possibly die. If they get injured, they'll be out of the loop until they heal

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SneakyDeaky
4 hours ago, PapasHota said:

he voiced a character in RDR http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Seth_LaValley

During one of his radio shows years ago I heard him say he wrote all the in game theater movies you can watch in RDR and wrote the newspapers and helped with many of the advertisements and brands you see in the world. That's Lazlow's actual strength, he was in advertisement before GTA and loves radio and satire. He doesn't get enough credit for all that stuff. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

J.Dillinger Blackheart
56 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

It's not even remotely fair to call references and callbacks to RDR1 "filler content."  Yes, the game is about Arthur Morgan, and Dutch and John are only peripherally involved in that; and no, Rockstar doesn't want you to HAVE to have played RDR1 to be able to enjoy RDR2.   They're opening this up to a whole new generation of fans who might not know RDR1's story in the slightest.  

 

On the other hand, it's very safe to say that the majority of RDR2 players WILL be coming from RDR1.  And since this is a continuation/revisit of the central story and central characters of RDR1, players are damn well going to want some continuity.   There's no way Rockstar is going to gloss over that, or leave loose ends and question marks "up to the player's imagination."  

 

The botched ferry robbery is a major plot point in both RDR1 and RDR2.   It was specifically addressed by the most mysterious figure in the game, The Stranger, and has been a favorite item of speculation in the Red Dead community for 8 years now.  Now that we finally get a chance to see what went down, how it went down, when and where, and who was involved, you can bet that Rockstar is going to make that a priority scene. 

 

Also, the fact that the ferry robbery means the end of the line for John Marston in the gang does NOT mean it's the end of the story for Arthur, Dutch, or anybody else in the gang.   That's what I've been getting at:   NOWHERE has Rockstar or the lore implied that Dutch's Gang's story didn't go on well after John left.   Hell, 1906 could be the MIDPOINT of the game, with plenty of banditry left for Dutch to accomplish before the gang finally rides to the bitter end.  

Think about it man, they do it in every single game. There is always plenty of things they keep the players to make their own assumptions of. Like they've said, there will be connected tissue, but to assume that just because it's pertaining to the lore of the first it HAS to be shown in some type way in a prequel. God knows who shot john, that can be something they want to keep a secret or save for another game. This isn't about john so there's no reason for what happen to him in 1906. When there's 3 more people like dutch or javier or bill they could've use to progress the story just because it ties directly into the first game. For all that they could have kept john as the protagonist and it would've been even easier right? For all that let's go back to 1911 then too. Just because it's apart of RDR right or wrong.

Edited by J.Dillinger Blackheart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zello said:

 

I was bored...

tenor.gif?itemid=4993318

 

I can't wait for the fight! Keep the videos coming, this is entertainment at its best!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JustAMetalHead
54 minutes ago, YamatheKreature47 said:

The choosing who you take with you has been confirmed by all the game sites who've seen the game. It builds relationships between Arthur and the other members. Some temporary members that you can recruit can get injured or possibly die. If they get injured, they'll be out of the loop until they heal

Can you give me a quote from one of them? Because I swear I never saw any of the previews say that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BretMaverick777
58 minutes ago, YamatheKreature47 said:

The choosing who you take with you has been confirmed by all the game sites who've seen the game. It builds relationships between Arthur and the other members. Some temporary members that you can recruit can get injured or possibly die. If they get injured, they'll be out of the loop until they heal

That sounds a lot  like Far Cry 5 team mechanics.   9 primary NPCs, and 3 slots for temporary recruits you can draft on the fly.   A death causes them to be unavailable for up to 10 minutes or so of game time while they respawn.  Meanwhile, you can call up another to take the place of the fallen.  

 

Not saying RDR2 will embrace all of that, or any of that; but it sounds like there are some similarities.  And I still believe there are similarities with the Mass Effect style of recruitment and loyalty.   

1 hour ago, SneakyDeaky said:

here's a screenshot i found of the leak in case you never saw it. it was posted sometime in 2015/2016? A year or so before Rockstar announced the premise? The map leaked around the same time or perhaps earlier.

 

  Hide contents

utwbGNs.png

 

Sounds pretty spot on, especially for a leak that happened years ago.   The Beecher's Hope section makes sense, and building a homestead from scratch out in the wilderness is definitely a change in gameplay.   Hell, I'd be willing to bet that trying to be a settler is harder than trying to be an outlaw.  There definitely seems to be a Minecraft-style build element to the game that Rockstar hasn't explored before, kind of like how building a settlement changed the usual game dynamics in Fallout 4.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SneakyDeaky

My Problem is I just don't want another GTA 5 where everything happens and escalates over a period of weeks no matter how long I've spent free-roaming in the game. 

Not everything happens over a few weeks in real life. Wars have lasted hundreds of years. The Godfather Saga stretches over 60 years. Butch Cassidy's Wild Bunch in real life only lasted 2 years. What the "holy f*cking trinity," to quote Lamar, get away with in GTA 5 over just a few weeks is utterly ridiculous!

I know you guys are really worried about the story's focus getting distracted with side-plots and you want Arthur to be the main focus and for his story to be the most memorable thing we take away from the game, I do too, but I also don't want to just spend a few weeks with Arthur and experience a lot of crazy situations one after another with no room to breathe. I want a slow burn, a saga, where every moment and every bullet has resonance.  I want to go on a journey, an adventure, through the Old West and into the 20th century, if you will. 

But hey it will be good either way. The next great Western is Red Dead Redemption 2, that's for sure.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SuperKitsune
2 hours ago, BretMaverick777 said:

It's not even remotely fair to call references and callbacks to RDR1 "filler content."  Yes, the game is about Arthur Morgan, and Dutch and John are only peripherally involved in that; and no, Rockstar doesn't want you to HAVE to have played RDR1 to be able to enjoy RDR2.   They're opening this up to a whole new generation of fans who might not know RDR1's story in the slightest.  

 

On the other hand, it's very safe to say that the majority of RDR2 players WILL be coming from RDR1.  And since this is a continuation/revisit of the central story and central characters of RDR1, players are damn well going to want some continuity.   There's no way Rockstar is going to gloss over that, or leave loose ends and question marks "up to the player's imagination."  

 

The botched ferry robbery is a major plot point in both RDR1 and RDR2.   It was specifically addressed by the most mysterious figure in the game, The Stranger, and has been a favorite item of speculation in the Red Dead community for 8 years now.  Now that we finally get a chance to see what went down, how it went down, when and where, and who was involved, you can bet that Rockstar is going to make that a priority scene. 

 

Also, the fact that the ferry robbery means the end of the line for John Marston in the gang does NOT mean it's the end of the story for Arthur, Dutch, or anybody else in the gang.   That's what I've been getting at:   NOWHERE has Rockstar or the lore implied that Dutch's Gang's story didn't go on well after John left.   Hell, 1906 could be the MIDPOINT of the game, with plenty of banditry left for Dutch to accomplish before the gang finally rides to the bitter end.  

The failed ferry robbery isn't a major plot point in rdr1. It doesn't alter the story in anyway. It's just interesting background info. I mean it's just mentioned in a side mission. You can perfectly beat the story without knowing about it.

 

Major plot points in rdr1 are for example: De Santa's betrayal, Getting your family back, ...

 

Rockstar only very rarely uses time jumps. On the top of my head I can think of the first mission in gtaV and the introduction of gta SA but even then, those were more background info than an entire section of the game.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SneakyDeaky

Rockstar have removed the "Days passed" stat from GTA 5. And many missions shift to a particular time of day and weather for mood. It seems like they are interested in playing with time but GTA is so beholden to the present there's not much room for them to experiment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BretMaverick777
8 minutes ago, SuperKitsune said:

The failed ferry robbery isn't a major plot point in rdr1. It doesn't alter the story in anyway. It's just interesting background info. I mean it's just mentioned in a side mission. You can perfectly beat the story without knowing about it.

 

Major plot points in rdr1 are for example: De Santa's betrayal, Getting your family back, ...

 

Rockstar only very rarely uses time jumps. On the top of my head I can think of the first mission in gtaV and the introduction of gta SA but even then, those were more background info than an entire section of the game.

 

The ferry robbery is a defining moment in the lives of both John Marston and Dutch Van Der Linde.  Marston bitches at Dutch, Bill, and Javier constantly about being left for dead there, and they either claim he's lying or that he deserved it.   It's the biggest turning point in John Marston's life, and marks the move from being a bad hombre to a civilized family man just trying to settle down and live a decent life.  The Stranger knows it's a defining moment for him and for Dutch, too....murdering Heidi McCourt in cold blood seems to be a line Dutch had never crossed up until that point.   Even when he murders his bank teller hostage in Blackwater, John and Edgar Ross are both still horrified, because that still doesn't seem to be in character for an idealistic bandit like Dutch.  

 

And now, we'll see it happen in real time in RDR2. 

 

And who cares if Rockstar "very rarely" uses time jumps?   Rockstar is doing a LOT of things they've never done before in RDR2.  They WANT to innovate and experiment.  The West is an epic setting, and by all accounts, RDR2 will play that to the hilt.  That includes an epic span of time.   Trust, you'll be one of a very few players of this game who are going to have a problem with it....most of us can follow along with time jumps and epic scales and not have a problem with it at all.  We know that different stories have different parameters, and this is one that requires a greater length of time to unfold than any rapid-fire fast pace urgency of a modern world setting like GTA5.   It's the Wild West.  Time and space have different dimensions there than in modern LA, NY, or Miami.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

PhotomodePNG
2 hours ago, Big_Smiley said:

 

1a8b4G2.jpg

 

Do you think the light in the game will actually be this good or will it be the same downgrade as the first screens of GTAV vs in game footage 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SuperKitsune
1 minute ago, BretMaverick777 said:

The ferry robbery is a defining moment in the lives of both John Marston and Dutch Van Der Linde.  Marston bitches at Dutch, Bill, and Javier constantly about being left for dead there, and they either claim he's lying or that he deserved it.   It's the biggest turning point in John Marston's life, and marks the move from being a bad hombre to a civilized family man just trying to settle down and live a decent life.  The Stranger knows it's a defining moment for him and for Dutch, too....murdering Heidi McCourt in cold blood seems to be a line Dutch had never crossed up until that point.   Even when he murders his bank teller hostage in Blackwater, John and Edgar Ross are both still horrified, because that still doesn't seem to be in character for an idealistic bandit like Dutch.  

 

And now, we'll see it happen in real time in RDR2. 

 

And who cares if Rockstar "very rarely" uses time jumps?   Rockstar is doing a LOT of things they've never done before in RDR2.  They WANT to innovate and experiment.  The West is an epic setting, and by all accounts, RDR2 will play that to the hilt.  That includes an epic span of time.   Trust, you'll be one of a very few players of this game who are going to have a problem with it....most of us can follow along with time jumps and epic scales and not have a problem with it at all.  We know that different stories have different parameters, and this is one that requires a greater length of time to unfold than any rapid-fire fast pace urgency of a modern world setting like GTA5.   It's the Wild West.  Time and space have different dimensions there than in modern LA, NY, or Miami.  

Botched Ferry Robbery happened in 1906. While interesting to know about, it's not a major plot twist or alters the story of rdr1 in anyway. Hence it's mentioned in a side mission. Get it? ;)

 

Different dimensions of time and space? Dude..the clock in the old west ticked as fast as it does now lol :D

 

And you know..if the games take place over a few weeks or over the span of years. It only goes as fast as you allow it to. You can finish a game that spans years before a game that spans weeks, because it's a game :D It's you player that decides the pace.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Do you think the light in the game will actually be this good or will it be the same downgrade as the first screens of GTAV vs in game footage 

It'll be this good or even better ... let's not talk about downgrades please.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BretMaverick777
3 minutes ago, SuperKitsune said:

 

Different dimensions of time and space? Dude..the clock in the old west ticked as fast as it does now lol :D

You've never been to the American West, have you?

 

In 1983, when I was just 15, our family took our first of many cross-country road trips across America.  Up until then, I had been strictly East Coast, living in various small towns and big cities across the Southeast.   That trip across the vastness of the Great Plains, the sheer scale of the Rocky Mountains, the ancient grandeur of the red canyons of the desert Southwest, the lush greenery of the Pacific Northwest....that trip changes you.  You come home and the city you're living in suddenly looks a whole lot smaller.  All the day to day problems you're used to dealing with suddenly don't seem that important anymore.  The sky is a LOT bigger in the wide open spaces.  You can get on a road in Kansas and not see a single curve in the road as far as the horizon....and that horizon is much farther away than you've ever seen before.  At night, I promise you, you have never seen so many stars before. 

 

You remember what the first trailer to RDR2 started with?   Landscapes.  It was all about the setting, and it still is.   Rockstar wants total immersion, wants you to feel like a real cowboy/gunfighter, wants you to understand what "heartland" really means.  

 

Trust:   the clocks in the Old West, when they're anywhere to be found at all, do NOT tick as fast, now or then.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

damienrayemusic

Yep. Just finished watching Django again.. y'all definitely watch that if you're f*ckin HYPE for Red Dead Redemption 2!!! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SuperKitsune
7 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

You've never been to the American West, have you?

 

In 1983, when I was just 15, our family took our first of many cross-country road trips across America.  Up until then, I had been strictly East Coast, living in various small towns and big cities across the Southeast.   That trip across the vastness of the Great Plains, the sheer scale of the Rocky Mountains, the ancient grandeur of the red canyons of the desert Southwest, the lush greenery of the Pacific Northwest....that trip changes you.  You come home and the city you're living in suddenly looks a whole lot smaller.  All the day to day problems you're used to dealing with suddenly don't seem that important anymore.  The sky is a LOT bigger in the wide open spaces.  You can get on a road in Kansas and not see a single curve in the road as far as the horizon....and that horizon is much farther away than you've ever seen before.  At night, I promise you, you have never seen so many stars before. 

 

You remember what the first trailer to RDR2 started with?   Landscapes.  It was all about the setting, and it still is.   Rockstar wants total immersion, wants you to feel like a real cowboy/gunfighter, wants you to understand what "heartland" really means.  

 

Trust:   the clocks in the Old West, when they're anywhere to be found at all, do NOT tick as fast, now or then.

You're completely dodging my facts, but whatever. No I've been never been to America, though I'd love to. 

 

Um...actually they did. Lots of people in the old west had pocket watches, alot of homes there had clocks...and the days were also made up of 24 hours like now ahaha :D

 

Either way, we'll see when the game releases :D

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

GeorgeWashingtonxx77

I hope they stay with the "creepy" side missions in RDR 2. With the main story, it was so cool to explore how weird and bizarre the world was outside from John's business with hunting down the former gang. Also hope the "I Know You Man" shows up, he is arguably the most interesting character in a Rockstar game, and that says alot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SuperKing573
53 minutes ago, damienrayemusic said:

Yep. Just finished watching Django again.. y'all definitely watch that if you're f*ckin HYPE for Red Dead Redemption 2!!! 

A really cool easter egg for RDR 2 would be seeing a black guy riding around in Django's baby blue outfit (the one he was wearing when he met Big Daddy)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

thedarkman123

This week should be a very special one...  but i'm afraid ttwo stocks will depend only on gta bull**** dlc, that stuff needs to end right now damn it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Capt.Bojangles
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Do you think the light in the game will actually be this good or will it be the same downgrade as the first screens of GTAV vs in game footage 

seems like Rockstar is taking alot of pride in the new lighting system or upgraded system seen in all the trailers and screenshots they've released to the public so it could well as be the same 
idk if that will play into frame rate issues or not i hope not but we'll see in 90 some days.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Capt.Bojangles
56 minutes ago, SuperKing573 said:

A really cool easter egg for RDR 2 would be seeing a black guy riding around in Django's baby blue outfit (the one he was wearing when he met Big Daddy)

if you don't mind to watch older movies i could recommend a few.

High Plains Drifter ( one of my favorite roles Clint Eastwood has ever done.)

Outlaw Josey Wales

Wild Bunch (pretty old but kinda has the same vibe as Rdr 2 basically a group of outlaws )
 
Unforgiven
 
3:10 to yuma ( Old and New Both are good )

Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid ( Butch Cassidy strikes me as a character Similar to Arthur Morgan.)

Young Guns 1 & 2 

I know tons more but i'm starting to Draw Blanks 

Western Movies has always been my thing since i was a little kid i love the time period lol.


" Best dollar eighty i ever spent. "

Edited by Capt.Bojangles
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SuperKing573 said:

A really cool easter egg for RDR 2 would be seeing a black guy riding around in Django's baby blue outfit (the one he was wearing when he met Big Daddy)

An easter eggI would love is finding a deluxo inside a cave...

Edited by arno_cat
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.