1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Zello

Will there be face scans?

Zello

Title

Do you want to see face scans? Do you think it's possible for R* to add face scans?

Edited by KY Jello

Jason

99.9% no. They generally just don't look very good, mess with the artsyle and face customisation as well as just being easy to exploit in general.

MARKUS.

12 years old faces in body of a 35 yrs old character. Nice!

tsto

No need for this. This method is not good enough yet for our time. Would prefer a much more detailed facial feature initial creation menu that gives more ability to individualize your look unlike the almost identical initial faces for GTAO characters.

Mach1bud

Havent seen a game with face mapping since Tony Hawk Underground back in '03.

xDatxJunkyx

Like this:

Image result for 2k face scan funny

tsto
3 hours ago, Mach1bud said:

Either Rainbow Six Vegas 1 or 2 had it. I think it was #2. It was pretty bad.

The FoolYT

Face scan is probably just a waste of resources for Rockstar tbh. 

Guest Member2756931
11 hours ago, Mach1bud said:

FIFA (up until 17) and most other EA Sport titles.

WWE2k up until the last one, unsure if the new one will also have it, I expect so.

But, as has been said, it's not at a point that it looks good without a lot of work (i.e. Photoshop the image before uploading it to make it work better).

I tried face mapping (along with importing my tattoos) on the last few WWE2K games and let's just say I wrestle in a mask with long sleeves because the end result just didn't work.

Having said that, I used to have some software on PC which would make a 3D model of a head from a few photos and it worked amazingly well. Rather than map the face it measured features and built the face (I believe it also gave values for "importing" in to Oblivion.

JumpingKentFlash

Either face scan or a modding tool that gives you freedom to make a good character. What sucks in GTA is all those skinny junkies running around. I wanna be able to make myself ugly and fat like IRL.

P.T.
1 hour ago, JumpingKentFlash said:

Either face scan or a modding tool that gives you freedom to make a good character. What sucks in GTA is all those skinny junkies running around. I wanna be able to make myself ugly and fat like IRL.

Yes i feel like this is the best option .Just give us ability to customize each area of the face. Several games have done this in past and it worked well.

For those saying the tech does not work well. You would be wrong. Last year 2k and NBA Live both had good facescans in their apps, that were actually really good and looked good in game. Its not a matter of "if" rockstar could do this and it be great, but its a matter of will they , and i doubt it .

JumpingKentFlash
38 minutes ago, P.T. said:

Yes i feel like this is the best option .Just give us ability to customize each area of the face. Several games have done this in past and it worked well.

For those saying the tech does not work well. You would be wrong. Last year 2k and NBA Live both had good facescans in their apps, that were actually really good and looked good in game. Its not a matter of "if" rockstar could do this and it be great, but its a matter of will they , and i doubt it .

If the tech is there I see no reason to not include it. They could easily do it with a companion smartphone app, and open it up to the public when RDR2 launches to take the pressure off.

P.T.
1 hour ago, JumpingKentFlash said:

If the tech is there I see no reason to not include it. They could easily do it with a companion smartphone app, and open it up to the public when RDR2 launches to take the pressure off.

This one is from 2k last year from their app face scan:

3vxfxb_Iq_400x400.jpg

Pretty detailed if you ask me , this looks alot like me minus the hair option and not big enough beard.

This one was from NBA Live i took while wearing a Guy Fawkes mask . Also did a pretty good job even with a mask on:

PT_AVATAR.jpg

So to say the tech is not there yet , imo is false. Both were done with a smartphone app.

Edited by P.T.

loyletomycapo

what do you mean the first one is sh*t hahaha 

anyway if i encountered face scans i would exclusively use iggy pop's torso

Zello

If we can't get face scans we should at least get a very detailed character creator like in sports games with face sculpting.

Edited by KY Jello

Jason
17 hours ago, ARTHUR. said:

what do you mean the first one is sh*t hahaha 

anyway if i encountered face scans i would exclusively use iggy pop's torso

Yea lmao. The first one is off centre and the skin tones don't match.

Not to mention that second pic with the Guy Fawkes mask is another reason why it won't happen. You'd have Hitler faces and all sorts of stuff everywhere. It aint gonna happen.

P.T.
On 9/21/2018 at 9:19 AM, Jason said:

Yea lmao. The first one is off centre and the skin tones don't match.

Not to mention that second pic with the Guy Fawkes mask is another reason why it won't happen. You'd have Hitler faces and all sorts of stuff everywhere. It aint gonna happen.

What do  you mean the first one is off center? Its a cropped picture. The skin tones , yes there are two skin tones there, however ,my point is , the tech is there to capture how a person looks in rather good detail. My nose was broke playing baseball as a youth and my nose is actually crooked , just as it is in that pitcure. 

To your second comment, in all the time i played nba live 18 , i never ran into 1 other person with a mask of any sort . Nor any Hitlers or any other crazy stuff.

I doubt it happens, but my point is , not because the tech of today is not up to speed. Thats not the issue.

Edited by P.T.

Jason

Not the nose, but the entire face looks off centre. Might be the angle but it doesn't look like it, also like I said the skin tone doesn't match at all. Oh and yes, people do use it to troll, especially in a game that'll be as big as RDO.

The tech is there to do it but not do it well enough that you cannot tell it's not a facescan, which is where the issue is. Most face scans look like a face mask on a 3d model, which your pictures do. They look completely out of place compared to normal character faces in the game. It's not like RDR2 is striving for unbelievably photo-realistic faces either, so a facescanned face would look bizarre in game.

Commander S

Depends what you mean, OP - probably not the 'take a photo of your face and slap it on your character' thing that certain games used to do back in the day, but ...I wouldn't rule out something more like Mass Effect: Andromeda, or Metal Gear Solid V.

As in, Mass Effect has always used scans of actual people since Day 1 (default Shepard, Kaiden, Liara, for example - and then later Jack, Miranda, both versions of Ryder), but on top of that, the different preset faces for custom Ryders in Andromeda? Also scansyeah, they had problems (blame EA for making BioWare switch from Unreal to Frostbite during development...), but the base scans themselves hold up really well.

Meanwhile, MGSV had more generic custom presets for Metal Gear Online, but all of the various random soldiers you could encounter (and recruit!) in single-player likewise had realistic scanned faces, rather than being freehand sculpts.

For RDR2, I'm not sure if they've done a Mass Effect for new characters like Arthur, considering R* did base Michael/Franklin/Trevor on Ned Luke/Shawn Fonteno/Steven Ogg for V. But with the game aiming for an unprecedented level of verisimilitude, and with more and more games using scanned likenesses as standard (Horizon Zero Dawn, Mafia III, etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if RDO presets are based on real people - and it'd probably make them look better as a result, IMO.

universetwisters

inb4 cowboy lookalikes of hitler and spongebob all over the wild west

Jimmarn
On 9/20/2018 at 6:02 PM, JumpingKentFlash said:

What sucks in GTA is all those skinny junkies running around. I wanna be able to make myself ugly and fat like IRL.

Hopefully it will be like in singleplayer and physique will depend on how you eat etc, with tonics helping to lean more one way than the other 

INFERNO E100
On 9/20/2018 at 7:09 PM, JumpingKentFlash said:

because when some kid scans in the face of a head of state and drags their limp body around behind a horse before TNTing them or putting them under a train the 9/11 terror act will send them straight to gitmo without passing GO

the NBA one is fine because no one cares if trump is slamming on lebron but the sh*t would hit the fan if angela merkel was shooting up a saloon 

Edited by INFERNO E100

Need drugs

Doubt it. Ive only seen it in sports games and its usually awful anyway.

Verbal Soze

Wait? They wanted to scan faces? Seriously? What if the players are all assface? Can we scan it? Ass face?

HockeyMike24

As horrible of an idea I think this would be for obvious exploits, I also think it would be hilarious. Rainbox Six Vegas had this and I would join a game and my team mate would be a cat or Will Ferrell. 

Sootyjared

Nope.

Face scans are possible, but if they were to be implemented then it wouldn’t be long until you get killed by someone with a swastika or a pair of breasts for a face. Not to mention people making celebrities and the possibility to blow people’s heads off - not good for PR when a celebrity kill compilation turns up on YouTube.