4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Things GTA IV gets criticised for you actually like

Algonquin Assassin

dantedenirodeniro

I like the game's driving, it works well with Liberty City. It wouldn't work in an map like Los Santos with a lot of countryside and mountains, but in a urban scenario like LC, i think it works really well.

To be honest, I would love to drive me some old sedan with Grand Theft Auto IV physics in the countryside.

Edited by Americana
  • Like 3
Algonquin Assassin
10 hours ago, Mindshower said:

The greenish brown filter. It's very 2000s, like a Matrix film caked in oil pollution. 

I have my settings set to where it's almost black and white. It reminds me of noir films back in the day or something Tarantino would do if he was making video games instead of movies. 

7 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

It reminds me of noir films back in the day or something Tarantino would do if he was making video games instead of movies. 

Rockstar is pretty much the Tarantino of videogames.

37 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

I have my settings set to where it's almost black and white. It reminds me of noir films back in the day or something Tarantino would do if he was making video games instead of movies. 

Interesting idea. I guess in a way, IV has some neo noir elements. B&W is how I play LA Noire, it hits different that way.

• Like 1

I've never understood the hate for Rockstar's controls in general. GTA4 in particular got loads of sh*t for Niko's movements but the weight you could feel in each turn was spectacular to me. I think there's something very grounding about the heaviness of the cars, the player, the guns. It makes each action you perform feel far more impactful than your average game. You load up something like Ghosts of Tsushima and the dudes don't even have ragdoll physics when they get murked. Load up Watch Dogs and run into a car you'll tip over like a f*cking action figure. Nothing I do in these games feels satisfying because the physics are about as predictable as smashing two toys together. It saddens me that I have to launch a 13 year old game just to experience a sandbox of this caliber.

Algonquin Assassin
45 minutes ago, D T said:

I've never understood the hate for Rockstar's controls in general. GTA4 in particular got loads of sh*t for Niko's movements but the weight you could feel in each turn was spectacular to me. I think there's something very grounding about the heaviness of the cars, the player, the guns. It makes each action you perform feel far more impactful than your average game. You load up something like Ghosts of Tsushima and the dudes don't even have ragdoll physics when they get murked. Load up Watch Dogs and run into a car you'll tip over like a f*cking action figure. Nothing I do in these games feels satisfying because the physics are about as predictable as smashing two toys together. It saddens me that I have to launch a 13 year old game just to experience a sandbox of this caliber.

RDR2 springs to mind too. Personally I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the movement architecture they’ve been using. It really just feels like a design choice.

In Max Payne 3 the feeling of weight is reduced because it’s a high paced shooter even though its controls are much like GTA IV’s. In saying that i too like the sense of weight and never understood why it’s made out as if the controls are inherently flawed.

• Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8
11 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

I was too annoyed by not being able to see properly at night so I have the settings so it's as bright and colourful as possible lol. It still does have that overall dark feel and the kind of black and white thing at night but on a sunny day it's really quite pretty and colourful. 

3 hours ago, D T said:

I think aircraft controls kind of suck in GTA. But that applies to all of them (with Vice City as the exception maybe, I like how helicopters fly and shoot in that). I don't get the hate for GTA IV's controls either, I also enjoy feeling the real weight and detail of everything. When you go to another GTA game afterwards everything feels fake/like plastic toys. 

• Like 1

May feel clunky rather than heavy, realistic or whatever. It takes some time for Niko to aim properly when you leave cover, and cover itself can be a total mess at times.

14 minutes ago, Payne said:

May feel clunky rather than heavy, realistic or whatever. It takes some time for Niko to aim properly when you leave cover, and cover itself can be a total mess at times.

Just don't use cover unless you want to blindfire/safely throw grenades. Manual movement & crouching ftw, just like in the old GTAs or a first person shooter. The cover system was made for the AI to use :pp

Edited by B Dawg
billiejoearmstrong8

Yeah the cover is a bit clunky. However I do give it a bit of a break since it was the first GTA that had it, and a lot of the animations it involves (eg when you switch from one side of a doorway to another or slide into cover from a distance) look very cool. Walking/running/driving/shooting/other movement is all fine for me though. 

• Like 4

To be honest, I rarely use cover in Grand Theft Auto IV. I love crouching behind objects, though. 

• Like 2

The cover system works well in open space. Running down alleys, setting up behind a wall and blind firing, that's all good. The issue is when you're in an interior, get stuck to an inconveniently placed piece of furniture, takes the immersion away when it has done a good job building it up. Smoke and blood stains, ear ringing shots...and then you're crouched behind an end table.

• Like 1
Algonquin Assassin
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Yeah the cover is a bit clunky. However I do give it a bit of a break since it was the first GTA that had it, and a lot of the animations it involves (eg when you switch from one side of a doorway to another or slide into cover from a distance) look very cool. Walking/running/driving/shooting/other movement is all fine for me though. 

I just like being able to use cover and crouching. It makes it the most unique GTA in the series in that regard since other GTA games besides EFLC don't have both at the same time. Mostly I use cover in missions like "A Long Way To Fall" with lots of enemies in an apartment block and I like crouching out in the environment to quickly move between obstructions like cars, barriers, low hanging walls etc whilst still being mildly protected. Though of course cover can still be a viable option.

And yeah. The animations for transitioning into cover are bad arse. 

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • 2 weeks later...
TheMaisonetteMime

One thing I can mention is the green tint, the grim and moody setting only feels emphasized for me playing under a perspective of a person like Niko.

• Like 1
Lucas wester

The dark tone yes its cool but i dont want it in gta vi because i want something new

NightmanCometh96

Storing cheats on your cellphone for future use instead having to remember button combinations. My only nitpick is how taking damage instantly closes the phone menu, which can be annoying if you're in the middle of a shootout and/or have a wanted level. Aside from that, I love the convenience of having cheats at your fingertips at all times. I also like how the first 3 digits of each phone number use letters to correlate to the cheat itself in some way (468 = "HOT" for changing the weather, 227 = "CAR" for spawning cars, etc.).

I was disappointed with the way V handled things. The button combinations returned, so you either have to memorize them or have a list of cheats from a website/written down/etc. Phone number cheats are technically present (at least in the 1st remaster/PC version, I don't remember if they were in the PS3/360 version), but not every cheat has a phone number equivalent IIRC and they cannot be stored in a menu on the phone, which makes me wonder why they bothered implementing it at all.

I also miss being able to use cheats and still earn certain achievements/trophies in IV, as opposed to other R* games, which disable all achievements during the current gameplay session, regardless of how useful they are. I don't think something trivial like changing the weather should prevent you from earning an achievement for, say, spraying all of the Gang Tags in SA.

Edited by NightmanCometh96
  • Like 3
On 3/11/2021 at 8:55 AM, dantedenirodeniro said:

I like the game's driving, it works well with Liberty City. It wouldn't work in an map like Los Santos with a lot of countryside and mountains, but in a urban scenario like LC, i think it works really well.

I don't think so, what you want is a car with some weight and steering feel in the corners. Those roads just sort of feel boring when your car feels paper-light and soulless.

• Like 2

IV physics would of kept me in the desert more often in V. It's odd how IV, with such little off road terrain, somehow has the biggest differential in feel when comparing the streets to the dirt. 

• Like 3

-Friends and girlfriends.

I always wonder why people don't use the sleep feature as well,but why would you? Each phone call from every character shows their personality and gives more into their story.

-The Driving.

I honestly love the driving,compared to the 3D games. When rampaging,doing missions,or whatever,it gave much more intensity.

• Like 3
On 3/26/2021 at 5:36 PM, Sonny1 said:

-The Driving.

I honestly love the driving,compared to the 3D games. When rampaging,doing missions,or whatever,it gave much more intensity.

Absolutely agree. The driving physics in IV are my favourite out of every title in the series. The weight that each car has, the careful turns you have to calculate at high-speed, and the realistic damage to your vehicle after crashing? All of it is perfect to me. 

Edited by Crowhazard
  • Like 2

Some people have criticized Niko Bellic, Johnny Klebitz, and even to a lesser extent Luis Fernando Lopez to being simps. I actually like that about all three of them. It shows that despite being obvious criminals, they still have respect for women. Arthur Morgan from RDR2 and John Marston from RDR1 are kinda the same way, especially how John yells “Go to Hell!” at the sheriffs for badmouthing his wife, Abigail.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Algonquin Assassin
On 3/24/2021 at 4:32 AM, NightmanCometh96 said:

Storing cheats on your cellphone for future use instead having to remember button combinations. My only nitpick is how taking damage instantly closes the phone menu, which can be annoying if you're in the middle of a shootout and/or have a wanted level.

The way I get around this is when I'm in the middle of a shootout I just go somewhere to protect myself so I have enough time to pull up the phone. IMO it isn't that much more annoying than frantically mashing buttons in the middle of a shootout while you're taking damage.

But yeah. Being able to store cheats in the phone and having them saved for later use is a godsend and I'm glad R* done it to modernise that particular aspect of the series. I still don't get why they brought back phones cheats in the next gen/PC versions of GTA V, but not the ability to save them which is like the entire point of why they're so convenient in GTA IV in the first place.

Truthfully I think a lot of these seemingly minor details in GTA IV get taken for granted. It's like sleep mode. While people continue to bitch and moan to this very day about the "constant" phone calls sleep mode eradicates that. I always use it in free roam if I just want to mess around and be left alone.

• Like 3
On 3/23/2021 at 8:11 AM, Lucas wester said:

The dark tone yes its cool but i dont want it in gta vi because i want something new

But you'll have an entire decade at least of gta v's light tone.

On 3/12/2021 at 3:29 AM, D T said:

I have a theory that Rockstar is sort of keeping holds to the ability to use Euphoria for similar open world titles by sort of blacklisting it with deals and mpney thrown towards the makes of Euphoria but thats just a theory.

14 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Truthfully I think a lot of these seemingly minor details in GTA IV get taken for granted. It's like sleep mode. While people continue to bitch and moan to this very day about the "constant" phone calls sleep mode eradicates that. I always use it in free roam if I just want to mess around and be left alone.

As much as I like the sleep mode, it screwed up my first 100% run due the Stevie Glitch. If you're using sleep mode around the time Stevie is supposed to send his first text (you have to complete Brucie's Exotic Exports and/or unlock the Alderney Safehouse IIRC), he will never send the message (or any subsequent ones), which effectively prevents 100% completion. I did not realize this until I completed the story during that attempted run...

Luckily, I had a few saves from previous playthroughs with the story already complete (along with some side missions), so I didn't have to redo that much, but that experience left a bad taste in my mouth regarding sleep mode for a long time, even though it's generally a useful feature that addresses one of the main criticisms of IV. Tonya (and to a lesser extent, the cab depot Franklin can purchase) made me glad R* kept the feature in V, but I digress.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, NightmanCometh96 said:

As much as I like the sleep mode, it screwed up my first 100% run due the Stevie Glitch. If you're using sleep mode around the time Stevie is supposed to send his first text (you have to complete Brucie's Exotic Exports and/or unlock the Alderney Safehouse IIRC), he will never send the message (or any subsequent ones), which effectively prevents 100% completion. I did not realize this until I completed the story during that attempted run...

Luckily, I had a few saves from previous playthroughs with the story already complete (along with some side missions), so I didn't have to redo that much, but that experience left a bad taste in my mouth regarding sleep mode for a long time, even though it's generally a useful feature that addresses one of the main criticisms of IV. Tonya (and to a lesser extent, the cab depot Franklin can purchase) made me glad R* kept the feature in V, but I digress.

That's pretty unfortunate. I've used sleep mode plenty of times after completing Brucie's exotic exports (it says in the article this is what causes it), but have still received the texts from Stevie. Is it a common glitch or is it pretty rare? 

• Like 1
On 4/9/2021 at 9:09 PM, Algonquin Assassin said:

Is it a common glitch or is it pretty rare? 

During my first 100% attempt (~2012 or so, but it was definitely before V came out), I Googled something along the lines of "not getting texts from Stevie" when I realized something was wrong. I'm not sure how common the glitch is, but I saw enough results to assume it happened to a decent number of people. I imagine it's not as well known as something like the Swingset Glitch, though.

• Like 1