3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Miamivicecity

Things GTA IV gets criticised for you actually like

eCola

I wasn’t disappointed about the absence of tattoo parlors. Personally I don’t know if I could see Niko with any - although I guess it would be fitting if he could tattoo the names of his dead childhood friends onto his arms.

But then again, we never see his forearms. Barber shops wouldve been cool tho

Edited by eCola

Miamivicecity

Can't believe I haven't said this already, but Michael Hollick's portrayal as Niko. Whilst the guy got a lot of flack for the "fake" accent it's hard to picture Niko being voiced by anyone else honestly. Back when I first played GTA IV I had no idea Hollick was even American and even 10 years later I still find it hard to believe.

Yes whilst hiring an actual Serbian actor would've obviously benefited from far more authenticity I don't blame Hollick himself for being thrust into the role and IMO he done an amazing job considering he was thrown into the deep end. R* even approached Vladmir Mashkov who played Sasha in Behind Enemy Lines and formed Niko's physical appearance to play Niko, but he turned it down so it's hardly R*'s or Hollick's fault.

I mean compared to some absolutely horrendous accents I've heard in video games before particularly over the top British/Australian ones Hollick's Serbian tongue is like a gift from God.. 

Davao

The lack of things to do. I don't mind that, because you can use your imagination and you don't need things like yoga to have fun ect.

Miamivicecity
6 minutes ago, Davao said:

The lack of things to do. I don't mind that, because you can use your imagination and you don't need things like yoga to have fun ect.

In some ways I think it plays into the game's strengths. With games like San Andreas and GTA V a lot of things end up feeling lost to me. In GTA IV I utilise everything the game offers as it allows for a tighter and more focused experience. The way some people carry on you'd think there's literally nothing to do.

Don't know what game they play, but it's not the GTA IV I'm familiar with.

Davao
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

In some ways I think it plays into the game's strengths. With games like San Andreas and GTA V a lot of things end up feeling lost to me. In GTA IV I utilise everything the game offers as it allows for a tighter and more focused experience. The way some people carry on you'd think there's literally nothing to do.

Don't know what game they play, but it's not the GTA IV I'm familiar with.

There a lot of things you can do in IV. People just need to explore and realise that it offers different things than V.  A lot of the things in V that you can do, I wouldn't touch anyway. Golf and Yoga doesn't sound exciting to me or Tennis either.  There are a lack of criminal side activities you can do in V imo.

Edited by Davao

Miamivicecity
18 minutes ago, Davao said:

There a lot of things you can do in IV. People just need to explore and realise that it offers different things than V.  A lot of the things in V that you can do, I wouldn't touch anyway. Golf and Yoga doesn't sound exciting to me or Tennis either.  There are a lack of criminal side activities you can do in V imo.

Golf and tennis are pretty good I think, but I still prefer bowling, darts etc when it comes to mingames. The lack of criminal related side missions in GTA V is one of its biggest flaws IMO because it has three protagonists to cater for. I know GTA IV isn't packed to the brim with side missions, but atleast they feel like something a freelance criminal like Niko would engage.

I can give the taxi missions a free pass because I always do them to picture Niko helping out Roman while he's setting in. 

Davao
2 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

Golf and tennis are pretty good I think, but I still prefer bowling, darts etc when it comes to mingames. The lack of criminal related side missions in GTA V is one of its biggest flaws IMO because it has three protagonists to cater for. I know GTA IV isn't packed to the brim with side missions, but atleast they feel like something a freelance criminal like Niko would engage.

I can give the taxi missions a free pass because I always do them to picture Niko helping out Roman while he's setting in. 

The one thing that annoyed me with V is that they took out the vigilante missions.  That was one of the best things to do in IV, and it was a disappointment when it wasn't in V.   Darts and Bowling is a lot more fun to play as well.  Yep, the taxi missions are there to give Niko some cash and for Roman to help him.

Corndawg93

One feature that cops a lot of crap that I have no problem with is the overall seriousness and tone of the entire game, New York is gritty as f*ck and the game showcased that in the best way possible 

Miamivicecity
34 minutes ago, Corndawg93 said:

One feature that cops a lot of crap that I have no problem with is the overall seriousness and tone of the entire game, New York is gritty as f*ck and the game showcased that in the best way possible 

This is what I love about GTA IV and TLAD, but then TBOGT kind just feels like the odd one out like it shouldn't exist.

ViceBoy69

I like TBOGT but i have never played TLAD, and i doubt i ever will the biker gang thing is a complete turn off, i have also given up on V never played it all the way through i dont like the characters i think the acting is lame the game stinks.

GTA4 i always play can find lots of stuff to do, just exploring i can spend hours in game, One thing i would have liked is a customise my car option but otherwise its the perfect game, gritty, involving and down right funny at times, Little Jacob is a brilliant support character with his bumclat and rasclat, and his walking backwards when hes pissed " Hello Babylon"

Miamivicecity

-Clothing variety. People always say it's "dull", but I've always found the clothing to suit the game's tone and atmosphere. The suits at Perseus are some of he nicest in the series too. The only thing i wish is it kinda felt a bit unnecessary to have another Perseus. There should've been another casual clothing store like ZIP. 

-The random characters. Yeah they're basically just "drive to x from y" missions, but I think the point was more to showcase the characters and what kind of people could meet on his travels. I still think they're far better than the Strangers & Freaks in GTA V and are generally more memorable.

-Star Junction. Might seem a bit strange, but I have seen people say it's too empty compared to Times Square. Ok this is just silly because it's a video game for one thing and it's populated enough without being too populated. How much of a pain would it be if it was like the real Times Square? Not to mention it would probably cause the game to commit suicide due to the epic strain it would put on the hardware for an early 7th gen game.

Samz707

Driving, I don't really see why it's bad, it's just a more realistic driving system similar to the driver games.

You can prefer the more arcade-y ps2 era handling, but GTA IV's isn't some broken non-functional mess like some claim.

Davao
1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

Driving, I don't really see why it's bad, it's just a more realistic driving system similar to the driver games.

You can prefer the more arcade-y ps2 era handling, but GTA IV's isn't some broken non-functional mess like some claim.

I like the driving in IV.  Especially on bikes, I know it can be tricky but it's fun to and enjoyable to ride one

Miamivicecity
6 hours ago, Samz707 said:

I can understand how some may not like it because it really is a lot different to the 3D era driving, but I do think some tend to go overboard to try and deflate those that actually do like it by exaggerating things to the extreme. It's not broken. It's just a bit more unforgiving with more aggressive suspension and you can't go flying into a corner like driving an F1 car.

eCola
On 1/4/2019 at 4:12 AM, Miamivicecity said:

TBOGT kind just feels like the odd one out like it shouldn't exist.

Honestly, it's stuff like that that makes me feel Chinatown Wars would've been a much better DLC, even if it takes place a year after IV.....

Miamivicecity

-Parking spaces. Garages have always proven to be unreliable throughtout the series with various glitches and it's especially problematic in San Andreas and GTA V which have car customising so it's annoying when they disappear. Can't count the number of times I've had a car "impounded" in GTA V when it's been safely locked up. The f*ck?

Anyway yes while it's still possible to lose vehicles in the parking spaces due to them being knocked out of the space by other traffic or by the cops stealing them (lol) this has only happened to me a handful of times. Infact I still have the Huntley given by LJ outfront the Broker safehouse in my current save that's been there since Roman's Sorrow.

I also think they're more convenient too. Just walk out the front, jump in and off you go.

Davao
10 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

-Parking spaces. Garages have always proven to be unreliable throughtout the series with various glitches and it's especially problematic in San Andreas and GTA V which have car customising so it's annoying when they disappear. Can't count the number of times I've had a car "impounded" in GTA V when it's been safely locked up. The f*ck?

Anyway yes while it's still possible to lose vehicles in the parking spaces due to them being knocked out of the space by other traffic or by the cops stealing them (lol) this has only happened to me a handful of times. Infact I still have the Huntley given by LJ outfront the Broker safehouse in my current save that's been there since Roman's Sorrow.

I also think they're more convenient too. Just walk out the front, jump in and off you go.

The thing that annoys me about parking spaces, is the cops and other cars, because sometimes the cops take the cars out of parking spaces and other cars can push it out of your parking space, which means it's disappeared.

Miamivicecity
37 minutes ago, Davao said:

The thing that annoys me about parking spaces, is the cops and other cars, because sometimes the cops take the cars out of parking spaces and other cars can push it out of your parking space, which means it's disappeared.

Well I did say that. It's still more preferable than them disappearing because of a glitch though. Also from my experience the cops only steal them when they're left unlocked. They don't try and steal them when they're locked. Occasionally another car might accidentally bump them out, but it doesn't happen that often to be a nuisance. (Refer to my above example)

billiejoearmstrong8

I don't really get why it gets criticised for "money being useless". Not having many different things to buy is a legit complaint, but as far as spending money I feel I have to be more careful with it than any other GTA. In V I end the game with $40 million plus businesses bringing in thousands more each week (my Michael rakes in a quarter million per week), I have pretty much infinite money however many times I die (costs $5000 but also brings you closer to weekly paycheck) or buy ammo, sure vehicles cost more but you can hardly store any so that's limited anyway. And with the stock market you can have billions. In Vice City and San Andreas you can get billions by various means.

In IV you end the game with like half a million with no further income from businesses, and it costs $10,000 to die and weapons/ammo are expensive too. Dying 50 times would use up all your money where in V depending on the businesses you have it could actually bring in more money than it cost by skipping you through the week to your paycheck and at worst it puts a tiny dent in your cash. In IV I don't feel like I'm rich and unlike any other GTA I have to actually watch my money and do stuff if I want to earn more (eg sell cars) instead of letting it roll in. I think that fits the story of the game well and "having lots of money but nothing to spend it on" isn't true at all if you like messing around using up ammo and dying and is way more true of other GTAs.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

Miamivicecity
59 minutes ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

I don't really get why it gets criticised for "money being useless". Not having many different things to buy is a legit complaint, but as far as spending money I feel I have to be more careful with it than any other GTA. In V I end the game with $40 million plus businesses bringing in thousands more each week (my Michael rakes in a quarter million per week), I have pretty much infinite money however many times I die (costs $5000 but also brings you closer to weekly paycheck) or buy ammo, sure vehicles cost more but you can hardly store any so that's limited anyway. And with the stock market you can have billions. In Vice City and San Andreas you can get billions by various means.

In IV you end the game with like half a million with no further income from businesses, and it costs $10,000 to die and weapons/ammo are expensive too. Dying 50 times would use up all your money where in V depending on the businesses you have it could actually bring in more money than it cost by skipping you through the week to your paycheck and at worst it puts a tiny dent in your cash. In IV I don't feel like I'm rich and unlike any other GTA I have to actually watch my money and do stuff if I want to earn more (eg sell cars) instead of letting it roll in. I think that fits the story of the game well and "having lots of money but nothing to spend it on" isn't true at all if you like messing around using up ammo and dying and is way more true of other GTAs.

To be fair it's not as unbalanced as GTA III. In my current save of GTA III I already have $250,000 and I've only done 15 missions (This also includes money from taxi and vigilante missions), but like I've said before I believe R* should've tied in the economy with Roman's debts so they should've been physically paid back.

However from the story's perspective and tone of the game Niko blowing his wad on sports cars, mansions etc wouldn't have made much sense since there are a number of times he's shown to be visibly and verbally upset with Roman spending all of their money due to gambling so it would be a hard sell to make us believe these guys are trying to get by and pay back debts yet Niko has the cash to spare to buy a mansion or a really expensive supercar for himself.

It would've been interesting to have seen money used for a different purpose than it has usually in other GTA games. Hopefully it's something R* might reconsider in a future GTA.

FearThoseWhoFearHim

Unplayable.

I can play it slowly with a poor PC, but maybe because I used to play NES, SEGA, etc.

ChengizVlad09
On 12/29/2018 at 5:10 AM, Miamivicecity said:

Can't believe I haven't said this already, but Michael Hollick's portrayal as Niko. Whilst the guy got a lot of flack for the "fake" accent it's hard to picture Niko being voiced by anyone else honestly. Back when I first played GTA IV I had no idea Hollick was even American and even 10 years later I still find it hard to believe.

Yes whilst hiring an actual Serbian actor would've obviously benefited from far more authenticity I don't blame Hollick himself for being thrust into the role and IMO he done an amazing job considering he was thrown into the deep end. R* even approached Vladmir Mashkov who played Sasha in Behind Enemy Lines and formed Niko's physical appearance to play Niko, but he turned it down so it's hardly R*'s or Hollick's fault.

I mean compared to some absolutely horrendous accents I've heard in video games before particularly over the top British/Australian ones Hollick's Serbian tongue is like a gift from God.. 

His performance was without any doubt up to the task and spot on, despite his "fake" accent, which I can most definitely confirm can be considered fake, since I'm fluent in Serbian, Bosnian and Croatian, lol that's like saying you are fluent in English, American and Australian, pretty much the same language, just different dialects. I am, however glad that Rockstar chose not to be authentic and I find it stupid when someone is complaining about authenticity, there was never a real need for that. Being Serbian was exotic enough, no need to push things any further, the story itself doesn't require that.

On the other side, given the GTA games popularity and our warlike nature here on the Balkans, it's a good thing many nuances were left in the dark not only because of the game, but 'cause we could as well be starting another war over what or who exactly is Niko and his role in the in-game war, it's as justifiable reason as any here. Also given what we know about him already - not that it matters that much - but it is highly possible that he is actually a Serb from Bosnia rather than a Serb from Serbia, simply because the fact Yugoslav war was being waged mostly and to its greatest extent on the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as Croatia, but without any war activities in Serbia. On the other hand he clearly speaks in Serbian dialect - 'ekavica' not Bosnian or Croatian, which are 'ijekavica' and 'ikavica'. Also it is funny to note, that every person, mainly from English speaking territories finds it easier to use 'ekavica' if they already know anything in regards to those '3' languages. It's somewhat easier to pronounce things, like, say; ' Mleko' - 'Milk' rather than ' Mlijeko' - the same, you be the judge.

Anyway, I know it's stupid trivia, but nevertheless, I was blown away hearing him saying " Zdravo Burazeru" - "What's up my brother" to Roman, in that trailer before the release, I knew straight away he won't be Russian as those speculations circulating the net at the time implied. It didn't matter what exactly of those 3, I knew he was from around here somewhere and that was enough for me :)

"Rođače, 'ajmo na kuglanje?" :)

Edited by ChengizVlad09