3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Miamivicecity

Things GTA IV gets criticised for you actually like

Beato_dim
57 minutes ago, xXxRyanxXx said:

As usual with the jetpack obsession it's only the positives that are put forward, but hardly the negatives.

That's probably because in a single-player game, if the negatives are too big for you, you can just ignore it (outside of mandatory missions). Multiplayer games are a whole different beast, however - hence people's complaints about Oppressor, Deluxo etc. in GTAO.

TheSantader25
3 hours ago, xXxRyanxXx said:

It also makes the player more vulnerable to gunfire and it's slow as f*ck. As usual with the jetpack obsession it's only the positives that are put forward, but hardly the negatives. I could understand if it was built up as some core vehicle from the beginning of the series with a vital role to play, but the fact is it's only a glorified novelty item that was included in ONE GTA game before GTA IV and after years of pestering by whiny San Andreas fanboys R* finally caved in and included it in GTAO, but not GTA V.

Honestly there haven't been too many times if at all where I've been playing GTA IV where I've thought "Geez I really wish I had a jetpack to get into that tight spot". I'm only ever reminded the jetpack exists when I come on here. 

I'm not surprised you didn't feel the need for the jetpack since you already made it clear that IV is close to perfection for you. But then again I wasn't talking about what we "need" in this game. I'm talking about the lack of choices. Obviously the jetpack does have flaws but so does every other vehicle(helicopters can't land in narrow places) and that's what makes these "choices" matter. You choose what's best for the situation you're going to encounter. 

Tbh, I felt the jetpack could be used more efficiently in a place like Liberty city in comparison to San Andreas since it has far more tight alleyways. 

Also calm down dude. No need to call people "whiny SA fanboys. "

Edited by TheSantader25

SmokesWithCigs
On 9/17/2018 at 6:36 AM, TheSantader25 said:

Disagreed. The content provided in SA are directly tied to Carl's development throughout the story. Since, Unlike many protagonists, he is not  'made' already when the game starts. He progresses through the story and those elements make it much more believable. 

OT

-shooting pigeons:I generally like collectibles in GTA series. GTA games are one of the few games which I enjoy collecting collectibles. That's because there are many unused locations in each GTA that these collectibles introduce them to me. It's always fun to mix them up with the missions throughout the story. 

San Andreas had role playing type mechanics and doimng those side activities helped level cj up. They fit in to cjs world and they weren't silly or unbelievable also a lot of them weren't required to complete the game. They were simple things like races or vehicle missions like bike courier, pimping,  home invasion etc.

Edited by SmokesWithCigs

SmokesWithCigs
On 9/27/2018 at 1:45 AM, xXxRyanxXx said:

I wasn't even comparing TBOGT to real life. Compared to GTA IV and TLAD yes it's considerably brighter and more vibrant, but my main point was it makes it feel/look like it doesn't even occur at the same time which is the entire point of the the GTA IV/EFLC saga to tell three simultaneous stories.

Regardless if GTA IV and TLAD are the "stranger ones" atleast they feel parallel to when they occur. I can feel the events of TLAD happening (contextually of course) when I play GTA IV, but not TBOGT because it feels like it's completely out of sync without respect to the season/time it's supposed to be taking place. Ever wonder why most GTA IV fans feel TBOGT is the weakest of the trinity? This is one of the reasons.

Nah tbogt was pretttymuch the same only difference iis the lights at star junction was brighter and a slight adjustment to the color palette of star junction. Also there were some exotic  cars that stood out with bright colors. It fits because theme off tbogt was nightlife. I thing the main difference between tbgot and GTA IV was tbgot had a slightly sharper resolution a d a cleaner look where as gtaIV was blurry and drab. Of course I'm talking about the consoles.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:46 AM, xXxRyanxXx said:

The only thing I found weird was that there was no danger going back to Broker anyway. Besides a similar trope was used in San Andreas when CJ was exiled from Los Santos and later with GTA V when Michael and Trevor were laying low. I don't know, but having essentially the same plot device used in three games would be overkill atleast IMO it would.

R* were considering adding countryside to GTA IV, but dropped the idea either because of time constraints and/or they just didn't see it as being feasible. In the future I would love to see Liberty City with the rest of the state like the Carraways for example.

If. You go back to broker the Russians will shoot at you. It doesn't happen often  though

Edited by SmokesWithCigs

JB1982
1 hour ago, TheSantader25 said:

I'm not surprised you didn't feel the need for the jetpack since you already made it clear that IV is close to perfection for you. But then again I wasn't talking about what we "need" in this game. I'm talking about the lack of choices. Obviously the jetpack does have flaws but so does every other vehicle(helicopters can't land in narrow places) and that's what makes these "choices" matter. You choose what's best for the situation you're going to encounter. 

Tbh, I felt the jetpack could be used more efficiently in a place like Liberty city in comparison to San Andreas since it has far more tight alleyways.

Personally I think it's more important that something is "needed" rather than there purely for the sake of it to give you a "choice". But maybe that's just me.

As with planes, I have never felt jetpacks were missing from the game. I've neither wanted nor felt they were needed. I just don't think it's something that fits with GTA IV's style. It feels more grounded than say San Andreas which at times can be quite outlandish (not a criticism - I love San Andreas). I think that it's important that what is included in a game is either there because it's required or because it matches the style and tone of the game in question. I don't think either applies for a plane or a jetpack in IV's case.

TheSantader25
30 minutes ago, JB1982 said:

Personally I think it's more important that something is "needed" rather than there purely for the sake of it to give you a "choice". But maybe that's just me.

As with planes, I have never felt jetpacks were missing from the game. I've neither wanted nor felt they were needed. I just don't think it's something that fits with GTA IV's style. It feels more grounded than say San Andreas which at times can be quite outlandish (not a criticism - I love San Andreas). I think that it's important that what is included in a game is either there because it's required or because it matches the style and tone of the game in question. I don't think either applies for a plane or a jetpack in IV's case.

Your statement is a true one regarding linear games. But I feel like open world games require something more than "Missions". 

Choice and variety is an important  part of sandbox games(at least IMO)  Things you might not ever encounter during missions. this variety was heavily missed in IV which made it less of a GTA IMO and more like forward linear game. 

Edited by TheSantader25

JB1982
1 hour ago, TheSantader25 said:

Your statement is a true one regarding linear games. But I feel like open world games require something more than "Missions". 

Choice and variety is an important  part of sandbox games(at least IMO)  Things you might not ever encounter during missions. this variety was heavily missed in IV which made it less of a GTA IMO and more like forward linear game. 

But GTA IV did have choice and variety. There's the activities such as pool, darts, shows etc. There's races, stunt jumps, flying rats etc. The choice and variety wasn't missing at all IMO and that's all stuff to be done outside of missions.

eCola

The lack of tattoo parlors. Where would Niko get one anyway if we never see his forearms?

TheSantader25
30 minutes ago, JB1982 said:

But GTA IV did have choice and variety. There's the activities such as pool, darts, shows etc. There's races, stunt jumps, flying rats etc. The choice and variety wasn't missing at all IMO and that's all stuff to be done outside of missions.

I meant free mode content precisely. Things you usually make up yourself by the tools initially given by the dev. It's actually the initial reason games like GTA were called "sandbox games" and why a game like GTA 3 was considered a revolution in the industry. After GTA 3 R* added to those "tools" with almost every game(VC and SA) but they suddenly started all over again with IV which led to missing items. The lack of tools(weapon variety and vehicle variety, clothing variety) makes me struggle to come up with things to do in free mode outside missions and side activities. 

The best thing I found to do which previous games sucked at was messing with the NPCs since they were more intelligent. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Miamivicecity
12 hours ago, JB1982 said:

It's funny because I've spent more time playing pool, darts etc than most things from the 3D era. Finding something to do in GTA IV has never been an issue for me.

Domand

@Miamivicecity

Another name change I see? I recognize this one though.

My respect list is constantly under edit for you lol😂

Edited by Domand

Miamivicecity
4 hours ago, Domand said:

@Miamivicecity

Another name change I see? I recognize this one though.

My respect list is constantly under edit for you lol😂

I promise this will be my last. Come around full circle.👍

Mafia Assassin®
18 hours ago, Miamivicecity said:

I promise this will be my last. Come around full circle.👍

Nah, we know you won't resist, just enjoy your name-changing powers, I would do the same, probably would be worse, lol.

Edited by Mafia Assassin®