4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

mute!

GTA Online's Biggest Problem Is Other Players

mute!

Credit : Zwiezen, Zack

g1kwaaxzs3s3eu0mf5u4.png

GTA Online has a problem. Not with shark cards or servers, though many players aren’t happy about those things, but with other players. Over the years GTA Online has added content that has made other players some of the biggest hassles, and now much of the community is actively trying to avoid other players in a game built entirely around multiplayer. A friend and I were driving across Los Santos in GTA Online a few months back. We were delivering some cars that we had stolen earlier that night and were now selling to an NPC buyer. It was a relatively simple mission: The less damage the cars take the more money the CEO, myself, would get paid. Suddenly we saw a jet icon on the mini-map. We became nervous. Hopefully they would just pass us by or not even get close, we thought to ourselves. But moments later the pilot buzzed us and fired rockets at our cars, killing both of us in seconds. All that time and money wasted by one asshole in a jet. This happens far too often in GTA Online, and many other frustrated players believe it is only getting worse.

irkwgskn1kmvowa8davl.png

GTA Online was a very different game at launch. Most of my time in those early years was spent doing missions with a few friends, completing races and losing deathmatches. These missions took place in private sessions outside the public lobbies of GTA Online. Content in the public lobby in the early days was limited to small distractions, like seeing a movie or robbing a convenience store. Getting killed in a public lobby back then was annoying if you were trying to buy some clothes or just chill, but it wasn’t a huge frustration. Things have changed greatly since those early days. We now have more content than ever, maybe too much. Some of the most popular content now is focused on making money. Businesses, like gun running or drug dealing, can make players a lot of cash. But these business missions have to be completed in public lobbies, which means you have to deal with other players. Many of these missions tag you on the map for all other players to see. The end result is that many players are targeted while simply trying to complete a mission. And as Rockstar has added more weaponized super vehicles to the game, like the recently added Oppressor Mk. II, it is becoming harder and harder to make a dishonest living in GTA Online’s public lobbies.

pchvhzjqowt1jpwcpc5p.png

A question the community continues to debate is exactly why some players are so focused on attacking and destroying others while they complete missions. There isn’t much of a reward for attacking a shipment of drugs or a stolen car. In fact, it is financially more efficient to spend time doing missions and shipments than to attack other players’ businesses. Are these aggressive players just doing it to troll? Another problem that players point out is that attackers and trolls have a big advantage over defenders in these missions and sales. Defenders are usually unable to pick their transport and their drop-off point and have only one chance to complete the mission successfully. Attackers aren’t on missions, and so don’t have the same limitations or stakes. They have no restrictions on vehicles; they are in a open lobby and can bring anything they want. They can group up and take out a sole player. They can die as much as they want and respawn. This all creates a scenario where a player might have spent hours or days grinding to get a big shipment of weed or guns to sell and another player can take all that hard work away in a matter of seconds. For many, this feels unfair and poorly balanced.

In response to these attackers and trolls, some GTA Online fans have figured out different ways to get around the public lobbies required to do business missions. One easy, popular method that I’ve personally used involves entering and exiting sessions until you land in an empty or almost empty public lobby. Another method I’ve used is to load up a public lobby, have my character watch TV, and then do something else in the real world. Sometimes when I come back after an hour or two the lobby will have emptied out considerably and I can complete my missions in peace. There are other ways to avoid players in GTA Online. Some players recommended changing network settings on your console to limit how many players can join your lobby or unplugging your ethernet cable for a short amount of time to briefly cut off your internet connection. Searching YouTube, you will find hundreds of videos covering the topic of how to avoid full public lobbies.

pyw94nzpdisvc2lmw5c6.png

Not everyone is looking to be alone; some players are just looking to avoid the trolls. Groups of passive and non-violent players have formed. These groups join sessions together and promise only to help or ignore other players. (This method has added benefits, as a lobby filled with other players will reward players completing business missions with more cash. Attacking trolls don’t get any bonus reward.) Red Dead Redemption II will have multiplayer, though we don’t know much about it. GTA Online has been a huge success for Take-Two and Rockstar, and hopefully they’ll look to it to think about how players might interact in RDR II’s multiplayer. Perhaps GTA Online’s griefers will inspire Rockstar to make RDR II’s online experience better. Bethesda’s upcoming Fallout 76 has anti-griefing mechanics that sound promising—maybe something similar could help keep fans from feeling like they have to avoid the other players in a multiplayer game.

source : https://kotaku.com/gta-onlines-biggest-problem-is-other-players-1829039845

Edited by mute!

HARBUJAHN

Well i get very offended when players don't get in my car after pulling up and beeping 

How dare they ignore me lol

HamwithCheese

This is what happens when you take all the playstyles of a game and shove it into a box filled with jets and explosives. There will always be sh*tty players annoying others in any game, but this game practically rewards you for doing so, it doesn't try to hide it.

And I guess more assholes flock to this game because of that.

Halal Cyborg

Well they’ve removed any sense of realism with the manner in which you stop people...if you got penalised for destroying cargo the same way as destroying pvs and rewarded for delivering it yourself it would have greatly improved the experience for all.

why you get more Ammo and a couple of grand for blowing up some weed is beyond me.

and then there’s the people who don’t need to make money hence they blow up sales...In the past I’ve messaged people asking them if they wouldn’t be better off making money themselves and frequently their response is lololol I hav bilionz.

I actually with the nightclub sales find I usually don’t get attacked but then I’m level 750 so perhaps people think I’m dangerous? 

The three times I’ve been attacked selling over the last month has exclusively been twats on oppressor mk2s...people only seem to want totally unbalanced and effortless griefing.

Edited by Halal Cyborg

Solid Scorpion

Yeah as they have said ^

The main reason other players are a problem is less to do with everyone being an asshole and more to do with design choice.

You could balance and smooth out the playing field and encourage everyone to work together towards a common goal,

but that wouldn't have potentially weeks worth of work being destroyed in a second perhaps "encouraging" someone to skip the hastle, pay up, and have access to the latest toys now insted of after another weeks worth of grinding.

amitz6

I agree that the biggest problem of GTA Online is its community. But I think the true, basic reasons are not the ones the author suggested. GTA Online community is filled with 12 year olds, with MrBossFTW and his fans, with hackers and modders that survive unbanned way too much than they should, etc. This kind of players makes you, as a legitimate player, feel that too many players have unfair advantages over you. GTA Online is a kind of MMO - a big part of it is the competition between players, the desire to have unique, luxurious stuff and to have a nice reputation. But what kind of competition you have, when every other player is beyond level 1000 with 10 billion of cash? What kind of experience you have, when the odds that you'll have to change a lobby because there's a hacker killing everyone there are quite good? This is what I'm talking about - the community DOES make the game the worst. Combine that with sh*tty youtubers like mrboss, a horrible Pay to Win experience and really, really bad servers - and there you have it. GTA Online.

This may sound off-topic, but I'm saying this because I feel the things the author mentions in their article is not what we should whine about. When players sell or source vehicles, basically do any CEO mission - other players get notified about it. If that's not enough, the blip turns red in the minimap and everyone can see it, no matter what their position is on the map. Guess what? This is INTENTIONAL. Rockstar did this for a reason. This was, initially at least, supposed to be some bad-ass, filled with adrenaline battle between organizations. When one is selling his cargo, his organization members are supposed to protect him, whereas others intrude. Why isn't that working? Well because most of the players of this game, just like me, prever PvE over PvP, and to play solo rather than with randoms (reasons are obvious). That's why the majority of us enjoy the heist missions, and prefer the storyline everyday over online. You want to sell what you have grinded for? Understandable, go to a solo public session. But don't ruin it for others by whining like a crybaby. I'm not a tryhard - and I don't think this is tryhard-regarding thing, but yes - it is indeed fun to do that. I have taken care of my businesses for the last couple of months in solo public sessions, but you know what? It's boring. Moving a car from point A to B, that is not the mission. Where is the adrenaline of evading people who try to damage you? Where is the satisfaction of delivering a car after 4 players have tried to kill you, unsuccessfully? Think about that. Some players don't have 5 businesses to take care of, some of them are tired of the business battles and events, mostly because they are repititive and offer really, really bad rewards. So I don't think we can blame them for trying to have some fun. This is Grand Theft Auto after all.

I will say that when the rewards are so bad in contrast to the amount of money the seller might get from doing that successfully. This makes the "tryhards", so called, come off mean and useless. So yeah, I think Rockstar should do something about the profit. But I don't think this should be a private session thing. They were right to do what they did, for a change. This problem can also be fixed easily by making some worthwhile activities in the lobbies, because as I mentioned - they are really boring. The lobbies are the core of the game. You get really bored from doing the heist missions over and over again. I have done all the heists and their setups maybe 10 times each. I have done all the missions in the job menu, I have all kinds of business. So yeah - the fun I find in the last couple of days was to "ruin" it to some people, now and then (of course I don't do that excessively, and my purpose is not to annoy anyone. But this kind of actions create often a PVP battle between 2 individuals, and that, filled with anger and some exciting emotions - is really the sh*t.)

tl;dr - stop whining like crybabies. You cant stand PVP and want to earn some money? Open the task manager. It'll help you. 

Edited by amitz6

Matrelith

Give people unlimited freedom and weapons and they will eventually kill each other. Shocking

REXX

Was an interesting read while stuck in traffic. While I do agree that players are mainly the issue, I do believe its how Rockstar have layed things out too. Not going into details (as I'm literally creeping along in traffic) but a gpod example would be destroy Crates to earn RP and $ - in other words, piss an organization off for $2000. Though it doesn't give incentive, the message still appears (and logically), the first dick in the session is the one to go after them. Steal crates would have been much better imo.

Or, other players use Trackify to locate them.

Edited by REXX

Slam_Jones

Honestly, despite owning all the overpowered "mememobiles" and heavy artillery (Oppressor Jr. & Sr, Deluxo, Orbital Cannon, explosive sniper, etc, etc) I am very much looking forward to GTA 6, when they will(?) reset everything.

Back to normal drive-bys.  Back to regular-ass missions.  Back to normal guns (looking at you, explosive sniper).  Back to the simple, honest brutality that early GTAO offered.

When I first saw the Oppressor, I knew that GTA5:O was nearing an end, and GTA6:O would take over soon.  IMO that shoulda happened a year ago...

J-Scott-D

I imagine someone at Rockstar Games read that article, leaned back in his office chair, let out a big sigh and said "Mission Accomplished."

BOOGIEMAN219

I would destroy cargo and goods even if I had to pay say 20k in insurance. It's fun and it's part of being a criminal. In the real world criminals have problems and set backs, sh*t gets stolen and destroyed, people get killed. The main reason I destroy peoples stuff is in hopes a epic battle comes of it as I enjoy pvp more than anything else in this game .

Since I pretty much have everything I want why would I continue to grind? I get on and sell my nightclub and bunker for insurance money then I get into free roam and pvp. 

KazzMajol

agree that this is a good read, OP.    i'm not gonna knock your take, but i do wonder if you're sort of wishing for a unicorn?   meaning, this is what you get when you take any sample of human beings.

of course, your point i think is that the design of the game is lending to the fracas, and you're certainly right on that score.

i can only imagine what it would be like to be starting GTAO at level 1 these days.    i haven't forgotten the instantaneous PVP death(s) that i used to suffer pre-level 60 when you've at least gotten a couple of health boosts and you can buy a moderately decent piece of body armor.       there was still a hell of a lot of griefing three and four years ago, but it consisted of people backing over you in their chrome Adder or Zentorno and/or spawn-killing you with their heavy sniper on the beach, and a lot of proximity mines waiting for you when you exited Los Santos Customs or the Ammunation, and that sort of sh*t.

there were also--and still are--a lot of friendly and helpful players around, too.     you gotta take the bad with the good.   it's because i remember being an easy mark, and because other players have without question taken the time to be nice and help me out at times, that i often do the same--not griefing low levels, giving people rides, flying air support at times, etc., etc.

can you imagine spawning into GTAO for the first time, cruising around in a Futo you just stole, and suddenly there's a message telling you to go destroy the Armored Boxville that you happen to see quite near you on the minimap, and collect GTA$ and RP--and then as you approach it, suddenly a pink-camoflaged attack helicopter appears out of nowhere and hits you with six homing missiles?    LMAO    The other day exactly that happened, and after i blew the noob to smithereens and he decided against another try, i kicked him down 15k just to be sporting.

for my money, this is hands-down the most fun game i've ever played.    the constant additions and updates have been (mostly) awesome in my opinion, and that's why i continue to play the hell out of it.

Black-Dragon96
29 minutes ago, BOOGIEMAN219 said:

I would destroy cargo and goods even if I had to pay say 20k in insurance. It's fun and it's part of being a criminal. In the real world criminals have problems and set backs, sh*t gets stolen and destroyed, people get killed. 

1. Real world criminals for the most part do not own fully comisioned military jets and helicopers. Neither do they own flying and 99,9% accurate missile shooting bikes/cars. Realism jumped the shark nearly two years ago.

2. No sane real world criminal would blow up his rivals cargo when he could just get rid of his rival and take the stuff for himself.

Real world  criminals also mostly have some kind of agreement that insures that both of them get profit (gang wars/syndicate wars are not very good when you are running an illegal enterprise).

35 minutes ago, BOOGIEMAN219 said:

The main reason I destroy peoples stuff is in hopes a epic battle comes of it as I enjoy pvp more than anything else in this game .

Since I pretty much have everything I want why would I continue to grind? I get on and sell my nightclub and bunker for insurance money then I get into free roam and pvp.

Why don't you just join a dedicated PvP mode then? You will find an epic battle with people who actually want to PvP with you. (That does not cost insurance btw.)

Looks like you are a prime example for the article OP linked.

BOOGIEMAN219
15 minutes ago, Black-Dragon96 said:

Why don't you just join a dedicated PvP mode then? You will find an epic battle with people who actually want to PvP with you. (That does not cost insurance btw.)

Looks like you are a prime example for the article OP linked.

Because it's not the same as free mode, I enjoy getting into heavy sniper/marksman battles at the beach, I enjoy watching over my shoulder in case a jet or tank is coming or if somebody is about to hit me with a orbital. I enjoy being able to run fortified, privacy prevention and stand your ground.

In free mode your free, I can kill a bunch of people then drink champagne in the back of a helicopter while being dropped off at the next destination to kill some more.

Edited by BOOGIEMAN219

hugh750
48 minutes ago, BOOGIEMAN219 said:

I would destroy cargo and goods even if I had to pay say 20k in insurance. It's fun and it's part of being a criminal. In the real world criminals have problems and set backs, sh*t gets stolen and destroyed, people get killed. The main reason I destroy peoples stuff is in hopes a epic battle comes of it as I enjoy pvp more than anything else in this game .

in all honesty having your cargo destroyed is real annoying, all the effort and work gone in seconds.:angry:

BOOGIEMAN219
24 minutes ago, hugh750 said:

in all honesty having your cargo destroyed is real annoying, all the effort and work gone in seconds.:angry:

Happens to me all the time, I don't solo public how boring. But when you do park your delivery vehicle under a bridge or other object that offers protection and get a lucky hit on a jet with a rpg or shoot a deluxo/oppressor operator out and finish the delivery thats epic and most definately worth it, or even when your sh*t gets destroyed and you run the tables and kill them until they leave its what we play for is it not?

GenericGTAO

"Suddenly we saw a jet icon on the mini-map. We became nervous. "

I hate to say it because its been said.  This is really one of the only reasons to play this game for me.  Should have ghosted.  Should have exited the cars.  Gone for a bridge. Whatever....he took the risk and it was exciting until he lost.  Its a game...no one instanaone button pushed exploded him.

Really the fact that the jet guy can just go into passive or find a new session without being subjected to a severe penalty or payback is what irks me.

And if you want to go all moral authority on everyone, he thats cool this game doesnt favor your position, but no one is preventing you from being wrong.

I would also add this more of symptom of the internet and annonimity than GTAO player base.  Its really the freedom of the game combined with the jet cannon.  Although now the jet cannon, isnt the only griefing tool, its still probably the best.  The article uses the words rockets which if the guy used rockets, they were killed by a very skilled pilot.  Top 5%.  IE cars cannot be locked on with homings.  In the good old days, jet griefers got paid 0 or -22k insurance fees.  Just for fun, there was no reason to fly around bomb lobbies except too look for a fight.  Which bring me back to my 2nd point.  If you are looking for a fight cool, you got him, too often the person just leaves or goes passive.  

Edited by GenericGTAO

StangOne50

My bad. Next time I see someone trying to sell a car Ill think twice before killing him. However thats way more thought than Id like to put into the game and Ill probably kill him before I reach the second thought :oD

Jimbatron

Thanks for sharing @mute!

I'd agree with a lot of the article's analysis, although whilst I think it's easy to say there are issues with the player base, I would be clearer about the root cause. In my experience, individuals may change when properly motivated and brave enough, but as a collective we don't. Some people are decent, others are a55holes, or maybe act like one or the other depending on their mood. It's the same in real life and in GTA Online. And as pointed out in the article, the landscape of Los Santos has changed dramatically since launch on 2013.

The game mechanics are entirely the key to bringing out the worst in the player base.

Business sales generally have the following attributes in common:

• The selling player puts a lot of hours of effort at risk in one sale mission.
  • There is low value for any other player attacking and destroying the shipment.
  • There is little challenge for any other player attaching and destroying the shipment (with exceptions which I'll come to in a bit).

Now, we've had the debate here several times before about why people attack sale shipments, and the regular self confessed cargo destroyers will attempt to rationalise why they do it. I don't want to necessarily go down that route again as you can argue there are different possible motivations that are difficult to disprove 100% even if they don't sound entirely plausible.

However, looking at the above 3 bullet points, I think it would be hard for anyone to disagree that attacking a sale mission isn't highly appealing to trolls. Low effort, low financial reward for them, but highly annoying to someone else. That's not to say that I think everyone who does it must be a troll - but just that it's hard to argue this isn't a troll's bread and butter. And hence the mechanic brings out the worst in the player base because the principle way to make money also attracts and easy opportunity for those motivated by malice.

This said, I think After Hours has shifted things in the right direction a bit. As @Halal Cyborg has pointed out, he doesn't feel he gets attacked on Nightclub sales. And there's a reason for that - you can cross the third bullet point off. I got attacked on my first couple of sales, and it didn't end well for the antagonists - shredded by remote mini-guns. It didn't take the more insidious elements of the player base long to work out these vehicles are heavily armed and the weapons are useable with only one player on-board. And if you're high rank, it suddenly doesn't look like the easy grief that say bombing a Post Op van in an air vehicle is.

Also I have to give a big thumbs up to Business Battles. I'm not an online pacifist - I'm all for a good ruck every now and then (even though I'm more of a co-op man at heart), and these are perfect. I don't want to inflict lasting damage on another player - i.e. destroy hours worth of their own effort. The thing with business battles is that whilst there can only be one or two winners, no one really ends up worse off than they started.

I think that's shown the way forward for R*. It's late in the day but they're finally on the right track. Future businesses would be much better served where the benefits could be gained by competitive sources where if you win you gain more, but don't lose much if you fail, and a subsequent sale that is either low risk or automatic. Rather than vehicles that can be blown up and lose the lot, you could have your character carry the goods, and maybe you lose a small percentage for each death for example. So it's still competitive, but the reward for trolls is removed. And if you do that, the problem elements of the player base will move on to something else, or at-least be less noisy. It's not in any AAA developers interest to make their flagship title a magnet for griefers - whilst they may be more visible by their behavior, I know from observation they are not the majority.

Just a couple of other thoughts. For me the jewel in R*'s crown is still heists. If you find freemode frustrating I really recommend getting into them as they're tons of fun and pay well. The only problem with the originals was that you needed 4 players exactly to proceed which could lead to a lot of lobby waiting time. However, Doomsday was a god send in that respect that you could start with 2, 3 or 4 players. Some find them challenging at first but if you practice they are simply sublime. It's where I've got a huge chunk of my income from, and means I'm not so dependent on grinding in freemode. I retired my Special Carog, I/E, and Biker Business runs long ago, although I still keep my Bunker (with bought supplies) and Club running as the sales are much easier to protect.

Recently however, what I've started doing in freemode is turning vigilante. If I spot someone who is trying to attack a complete stranger, I have the full array of weaponised vehicles to go after the antagonist. And it's very effective, because the would be griefer is rarely expecting someone who isn't in the org to protect the sale. I've received some nice messages of thanks recently and it definitely feels like you've done a good deed for the day.

Edited by Jimbatron
SPAG

Smooth Longsack

The way i see it,  the problem isn't nor ever has been the player base. It's boring with no attackers.  The direction of the game was sealed when they decided to let the lazer exist as is. The defensive position should always be the stronger option in a pvp scenario. It certainly isn't that way and almost never has been. 

At least in the beginning it was much easier to thwart attackers or griefers, less the lazer. If someone was attacking your car while you were trying to grind out money in freeroam, it was fairly easy to kill them, sans lazer. Without getting into tl;dr territory I'd say things were a bit more fair,  in the beginning, to make some money except with regard to variety. There were a finite number of situations that were out of the grinders control were he couldn't defend himself.

These days there are so many insta-kill meme vehicles that are always available to every noob.... I'm tired irl and in game. I give up. Haven't played in weeks. Too many sh*tty delivery vehicles and too many amazing toys to kill delivery vehicles. Skill and planning are no longer rewarded in any sense. Spamming meme vehicles is the only way.  It bores me now the cat and mouse game is dead. R* killed what made this game fun, pvp-wise. There should be longer cooldowns on all these stupid meme vehicles. An attacker shouldn't be put down and be able to be back in the fight with more meme, in literally ten seconds, while I'm putting down the road in some slow pile of sh*t with virtually no defensive capabilities. 

RyuNova

I disagree.

R* is the problem with GTA Online. They actively encourage you to be dicks to each other and actively dissuade co-operation unless its forced on you in situations you don't want it to be like Heists or the Lamar missions. There is no punishment for attacking people, you are told to do so but you are punished for defending yourself?

wizooord

Even contact missions are not safe anymore..

I quit 9 out of 10 missions before they start or just as they started..

02875308 joined the lobby? quit. lvl 1-5 / 120-121? quit. some round looking lvl? quit. lvl close to mine? quit. 3 players all caps and 4 numbers? quit. it's not on hard? quit. someone pauses for longer than 3 seconds? quit. someone is afk? quit. someone too friendly? quit. someone not friendly enough? quit. other player: *exists* me: quit.

Every player seems like a malicious cancer to me. It's either a troll or a cheater or a troll or a cheater or both. or a troll. or a cheater. Everyone.

I'm well aware of my overreaction but at this point I'm so tired of giving 2nd chances I won't even bother with 1st chances.

I go online, quit 11 contact missions, do one, quit 6 more, try to do a race give up and exit GTA. Thant's my experience nowdays with my all time favorite game.

Rockstar took a PvE heaven and made it into PvP hell.

Hollis2Hollywood

I totally agree with the OP. Generally, I'm a peaceful player. I get players who want to attack and shoot it out with others. I generally stay away. Problem I have is with the griefers who see you have no intent on killing them and go out their way to attack. It's the real world equivalent of punching someone who is minding their own business. You don't get much money out of killing other players so why be a bitch. It doesn't make you look "talented" or a badass. You just look like a lame with nothing better to do than ruin other people's experience. Walking around on edge, even when you're just going to Ponsonby's, is annoying to say the least. I grew up being in neighborhoods where I lived like that. I play video games to escape the real world lol 

Call me crazy, but one method I've suggested to friends is making incentives for player cooperation. NPCs are annoying and some can be "aimbots" but I can tolerate a R* created character coming to kill me. They're there for that reason. How about making it profitable for all players for a player to reach his objective? For instance, CEO has a car to deliver. R* sends out a 5* wanted level on him, his associates and anyone who chooses to help. Message pops up on everyone's screen: If the player succeeds, you get a certain amount of money. If you choose to accept, you will automatically incur a 5 star wanted level. CEO has a mission where he has to hack a bunch of devices in exchange for cash. If you protect him and he's successful, you receive a reward but immediately get a 5 star wanted level. If the CEO dies, you fail and don't receive your reward. I don't know. A cash reward certainly would make me less likely to f*ck with someone. But that's just me. Some people have so much modded money, they don't GAF.  

Pedinhuh

"BuT iT's STilL ThE mOsT pLAyeD aNd SoLd gaME oN PS4!"

Funny how when I pointed this out a week earlier, I was ridiculed by some folks here, but now that is also the opinion of a reputable game reviewer, people are agreeing with it.

Edited by Pedinhuh

Arnold165

I love Rockstar and all but if they want to keep going in the MP scene, they need to balance the game more and find ways to punish griefers (like in Fallout 76). They also need to stop adding stuff that griefers can use. I'm one of those people who prefer a solo public lobby especially if I'm going to do business stuff. It's not worth it in a regular lobby and I will be pissed if I get my stuff destroyed because I spent hours and hours grinding and some asshole destroyed it in a few seconds. I don't like my time being wasted. I really hope Rockstar looks at the problems for their next titles. It's a really big issue.

LL Cool L

the problem is players expect to win or be successful in every encounter...

while others thinks gta should revolved around their own personal interests

in freemode co op you have the choice to grind and make money...and other players should have the chance to stop that (we hope they dont want to) but they have every right...its freemode.....

some things are more risky and you should keep your wits about you...the moment you saw a jet, getting rid of him should become your top priority....use bridges and multi storey car parks, leave your vehicle, use ghost org...

and if he gets you, ok, you win some you lose some....be smarter or luckier next time

you are not the first 1 to loose sales or stock and you wont be the last

gamers have a lot of entitlement, sometimes justified, other times not so much ....

jimmylh

Other players are the very least of my concern. I play on xbox1. 10 seconds on my homemade lag switch and I have a free lobby anytime I want. Works 100% of the time. 

Edited by jimmylh

Voodoo-Hendrix
6 hours ago, RyuNova said:

I disagree.

R* is the problem with GTA Online. They actively encourage you to be dicks to each other and actively dissuade co-operation unless its forced on you in situations you don't want it to be like Heists or the Lamar missions. There is no punishment for attacking people, you are told to do so but you are punished for defending yourself?

You just took the words out of my mouth (or cellphone, in this case)

Sure, the "community (highly ironic term btw) is pure aids but let's not forget that a community becomes as toxic as the developers let them be.

You see news everyday about game developers trying to combat toxicity, griefing and trolling in their games, see Overwatch and their Endorsement system or Bethesda talks about curbing griefing in Fallout '76.

Meanwhile, R* not only does nothing to combat griefing, far from it, they promote it ("go f*ck his sh*t up for Cash and RP") and empower it (I mean, no offense, but who the f*ck asked for the Oppresor Mk II?).

I mean, when you have a sizable ammount of players calling themselves the "tryhard community" unironically being proud of playing in the most obnoxious, toxic way possible...

When the most sensible answer to the very same problem that R* created in the first place is to play alone in an online multiplayer game...

When claims from the playerbase to nerf several overpowered weapons, vehicles and game mechanics get ignored for years  while the dupe glitch of the week gets patched in days...

When all of this happens, its when you as a developers know that you have f*cked up BIG TIME.

Sorry for the rant.

Voodoo-Hendrix
43 minutes ago, LL Cool L said:

the problem is players expect to win or be successful in every encounter...

The problem is that said encounters feel very one sided against the defending player.

I'm not expecting to win every single time but at least give me a chance to win in the first place, don't you think?

46 minutes ago, LL Cool L said:

while others thinks gta should revolved around their own personal interests

Seeing that GTAO now caters excusively to griefers, trolls and whales, it's not surprise that the PvE/peaceful/grinder crowd want to have a bone thrown at them too once in a while.

47 minutes ago, LL Cool L said:

in freemode co op you have the choice to grind and make money...and other players should have the chance to stop that (we hope they dont want to) but they have every right...its freemode.....

Agree, they have the right to stop me from making cash (whatever they reasoning may be, if any) but at least make it worthwhile and skillful instead of the digital equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel.

Business Battles showed that being able to steal cargo from other players is not only harder, more skilled and fair, it's also fun too. Why not apply this to all cargo and supplies too?

51 minutes ago, LL Cool L said:

some things are more risky and you should keep your wits about you...the moment you saw a jet, getting rid of him should become your top priority....use bridges and multi storey car parks, leave your vehicle, use ghost org...

You offer some good advice, altough very situational. What if you're in the middle of Sandy Shores? What if you're selling as a MC? Leaving your vehicle would not protect you from the absurdly large splash damage from a jet's cannons.

53 minutes ago, LL Cool L said:

and if he gets you, ok, you win some you lose some....be smarter or luckier next time

Hard to feel this way when you grinded hours to make a sale. Not even all the smarts and luck in the world can protect you from bullsh*t like the Orbital Cannon though.

54 minutes ago, LL Cool L said:

gamers have a lot of entitlement, sometimes justified, other times not so much ....

Is entitlement wanting a balanced, fair enviroment in a PvP game though? Or is it common sense?

555-We-Tip

It's horribly annoying to have others impact your finances, but man, there might not be a better feeling than outwitting a hostile opponent while on a sale.