4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Cyberpunk 2077 and the future of GTA

AnimalFather

5 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

The thing is bugs and glitches can always be fixed, but the consequences from how CDPR have handled this whole fiasco will be almost impossible to overcome.

Investors are pissed and so are members of staff on their own development team. It’s not even necessarily about the fact it was released in such a poor state anymore and more the principle how they failed everyones’ trust.

We’ve all probably criticised R* before for some of the decisions they’ve made, but I think the one thing we can all agree on is their management is world class and their ability to facilitate organisation and information conveyed to their consumers on what they’ll be buying is such a high standard that CDPR can only dream of especially after this disaster.

I agree and I know people like to compare this to other disappointing games like No Man's Sky but the scenario isn't the same. No Man's Sky wasn't being made by a big developer. And most of the games fail their hype to some extent but rarely you hear a company telling you that "We are different, we aren't greedy." CDPR advertised themselves as different, as morally better and showed Cyberpunk 2077 to be game for the players! And behold, they made a mess about as equal or worse than other questionable developers. Not only CDPR will not be trusted again, I don't think another "Chosen one developer" will ever rise again. Players has lost hope. Now it's all about picking the lesser evil when it comes to AAA game developers.

Also my personal issue with Cyberpunk 2077 is that, even if it was bug-free and optimized, it is sadly an average game.

You got poor man's Far Cry shooting.
You got atrocious driving, think Just Cause 3 level or worse.
You got sh*t tons of annoying loot and Ubisoft level side quests with relatively less Witcher 3 level side content
You got the typical story of going to person A who ask for favor and leads to person B and cycle continues until you find what you are looking for and ending happens like Witcher 3.
You got ton of useless dialogues, I tried to fail time-sensitive action dialogues multiple times and it mostly leads you performing the action anyway. Person asks me "Hey you wanna do this?" what option you get "Sure why not".....why give the option at all?!
You got a terrible protagonist, see you have like Niko Bellic and Arthur Morgan? Defined characters you wanna be like and are relatable right? Then you have Skyrim or Dragon Age MC that you can mold as you wish. V is a character that is worst of both worlds, a character too defined to be changed at all and not fleshed enough for you to care about. And yes, it's a personal story so you are stuck with them.
You got limited good side characters that get wasted, Imagine if Roman Bellic or Dutch died in first few missions, imagine how negatively that would have affected GTA IV and RDR2?
You got a story that has no impact on the world around you, big evil corpos are fine, Night City is still a sh*thole, nothing really changes, not even for main protagonist sadly. No important lesson to take away. It's ridiculous because even Ubisoft stories have larger impact than this. Even Witcher series had it so it's not a developer thing either.

There's more but the thing is.......games like RDR2 you see, I have problems with them but they seem like "overcooked" games, you know with ton of content that you may not even asked for. Polished so much, quality work regardless of one's opinion. Cyberpunk 2077 is.....underneath all the bugs.....undercooked. No patch can fix this for me.

• Like 9
Chrome Zentorno

I can’t believe you forgot the AI (Watch Dogs has better ped and police AI ffs). The story also sounds like it could’ve been written by a teenager. What a disappointment.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Chrome Zentorno said:

I can’t believe you forgot the AI (Watch Dogs has better ped and police AI ffs).

The issue is that people justify the AI by saying that CDPR's last game Witcher 3 had poor AI too therefore Cyberpunk 2077 is off the hook. Watch_Dogs and most Ubisoft games have better AI and even games like Mafia 1 (2002) has features such as police reacting to you holding guns, will crouch to avoid gunfire and for better accuracy while also making attempt to arrest you (2:36).

35 minutes ago, Chrome Zentorno said:

The story also sounds like it could’ve been written by a teenager. What a disappointment.

Yeah pretty much. I mean take a look at this dialogue option:

vxE6vU4.png

"Puh-lease"............sigh.

• Like 2
  • KEKW 2
The Wolf Man

I don't think that a linear story is a flaw at all. There are different kinds of RPGs. You can have a linear story and a few changes here and there that are going to shake things a little bit and maybe push the player into another playthrough. Mass Effect works like this and it's great.

The problem again was the marketing or maybe even the project itself. They wanted to make a radical RPG like the early Fallout games with the same level of detail of a linear game like GTA. This is pretty much unachievable. CDPR wanted too much of everything and the final result was mediocrity.

Edited by The Wolf Man
  • Like 2
23 minutes ago, The Wolf Man said:

I don't think that a linear story is a flaw at all. There are different kinds of RPGs. You can have a linear story and a few changes here and there that are going to shake things a little bit and maybe push the player into another playthrough. Mass Effect works like this and it's great.

Linear story isn't the problem. This is:

HPszXB2.png

Both options do the same thing. What's the point? It's a linear story with some freedom, but most of it is fixed with only an illusion of choice. This is insulting. If Cyberpunk 2077 was an action-adventure game with linear gameplay and no open world like say, Bioshock Infinite, it would have fared better IMO.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
Orbea Occam

A lot of the anti cyberpunk talk in here is coming from a place of Rockstar/GTA fanboyism IMO. I'm not trying to excuse the glitches/bugs but CP is still a brilliant game that does a few things better than GTA - it's just refreshing playing an open world game where you actually get rewarded for exploring. 

• Like 1
  • YEE 2
  • excuseme 2
Geisterfaust
2 hours ago, Orbea Occam said:

A lot of the anti cyberpunk talk in here is coming from a place of Rockstar/GTA fanboyism IMO. I'm not trying to excuse the glitches/bugs but CP is still a brilliant game that does a few things better than GTA - it's just refreshing playing an open world game where you actually get rewarded for exploring. 

Can't say for everyone, but you can count me out of GTA fanboys for sure. Played every game in the series that was on PC, sure and liked every one of them. Still, I find a lot of flaws in GTA games from 2 to V (yeah, I bet not a lot of people have dropped digit two talking about GTA lately). And yet I find Cyberpunk a complete disappointment because it's not really on par with GTA in terms of open world quality and for the game that was in development for 8 years that's a bit uncool.

I'm not for or against developers, I am for the competition. I have never thought that Cyberpunk could be a GTA replacement, but the open world in this game is not on par with the world of V, simple as that.

• Like 1
Orbea Occam
7 hours ago, Geisterfaust said:

I have never thought that Cyberpunk could be a GTA replacement, but the open world in this game is not on par with the world of V, simple as that.

Based on what though? As far as NPC activity goes then ofc what we saw in GTA V was better than what cyberpunk has to offer, although saying that the NPC activity/AI in V was still poor and by no means anything special or impressive. 

In terms of the actual world building Night City is far superior to Los Santos IMO - obviously a lot of people wont be happy with me saying that but for me Night City just looks infinitely more impressive than Los Santos. Just the scale of some of the buildings and structures you encounter while exploring is truly jaw dropping. Theres also a lot more unique points of interest and regions of the map that stand out - like the landfill just outside Night City, the scale of it is mind blowing. I just don't remember ever feeling that impressed while exploring LS.

• Like 1
  • Bruh 1
Algonquin Assassin
16 hours ago, Orbea Occam said:

No. Fanboyism is like the OP who made this thread In 2018 before anyone knew what Cyberpunk 2077 was going to be like jamming that “lol R* need to step up their game. They have serious competition” agenda down our throats.

Back then I knew this game was overhyped and it was going to fall short of the mark and I was right. That’s not even considering the shady sh*t CDPR have been exposed for. 

The way I see it there’s nothing wrong with liking the game. Go nuts as far I’m concerned, but I just find it hilarious every time there’s a new open world game with cars and guns people automatically assume it’s going to “kill” GTA. 

It happened back in the day with True Crime, Saints Row, Mafia and more recently with games like Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs etc. I don’t know why some people can’t just enjoy these games for what they are. It almost comes across like envy and jealously because R* have dominated the market in this sector for so long.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 5
xanoka
6 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

No. Fanboyism is like the OP who made this thread In 2018 before anyone knew what Cyberpunk 2077 was going to be like jamming that “lol R* need to step up their game. They have serious competition” agenda down our throats.

Back then I knew this game was overhyped and it was going to fall short of the mark and I was right. That’s not even considering the shady sh*t CDPR have been exposed for. 

The way I see it there’s nothing wrong with liking the game. Go nuts as far I’m concerned, but I just find it hilarious every time there’s a new open world game with cars and guns people automatically assume it’s going to “kill” GTA. 

It happened back in the day with True Crime, Saints Row, Mafia and more recently with games like Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs etc. I don’t know why some people can’t just enjoy these games for what they are. It almost comes across like envy and jealously because R* have dominated the market in this sector for so long.

Usually I just pre-order games from R* but i decided to give CDPR a chance and pre-ordered CP77. Well a decision that I regret until today. Everyone, me included, who though that CDPR would make a game as big/fantastic as Rockstar's GTA or RDR was just surfing in the hype based on the lies CDPR told it's fanbase. 

• Like 1
darkdayz
On 9/3/2018 at 12:34 PM, AnimalFather said:

CDPR has now shown us what a GTA neo tokyo game looks like in RPG mode and it looks freaking amazing. How can Rockstar go forward? Doing the same ol' bland open world will not work anymore. I think for the first time Rockstar has competition when it comes to the contemporary open world genre. Many have tried from Sleeping Dogs to True Crime to Watch Dogs and they have all failed miserably.  Rockstar had a chance to go futuristic cyberpunk but passed it up. Now i feel like its too late. 

I'm late to this party, but this just makes me laugh to be honest. I finished Cyberpunk, took around 90 hours and it's a good game. But that's all it is.

When you look passed the gloss of the city (which any developer could make by the way if they spent a decade on a game) it's just an average open world experience. Some exciting main missions with a plethora of side content. It doesn't do anything new, it is no different to Far Cry, Just Cause, AC, Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs. It's literally no different. You can even say it's not as good in many ways because of the lack of open world interactivity they offer up. Outside of the side missions in the world and a few vendors there is literally nothing to do. It is a step backwards from The Witcher 3. As we know from various videos it features AI that doesn't surpass games from 20 years ago.

Rockstar can go forward by making a game better than Red Dead Redemption 2. Because they only have to worry about outdoing themselves. RDR2 is still the industry leader for open worlds, there is nothing better at market, not by a long shot. CDPR failed at that simple task of outdoing their last game. So I'm so confused really to why you feel Cyberpunk is some kind of new threatening competition for them. I liked Cyberpunk for sure, it was good, but we've got to be realistic here and break it down.

They certainly haven't missed out on anything by not making a futuristic game. That's just not a vibe Rockstar would go for.

Edited by darkdayz
  • Like 4
Buddy Hightower
19 hours ago, Orbea Occam said:

Based on what though? As far as NPC activity goes then ofc what we saw in GTA V was better than what cyberpunk has to offer, although saying that the NPC activity/AI in V was still poor and by no means anything special or impressive. 

In terms of the actual world building Night City is far superior to Los Santos IMO - obviously a lot of people wont be happy with me saying that but for me Night City just looks infinitely more impressive than Los Santos. Just the scale of some of the buildings and structures you encounter while exploring is truly jaw dropping. Theres also a lot more unique points of interest and regions of the map that stand out - like the landfill just outside Night City, the scale of it is mind blowing. I just don't remember ever feeling that impressed while exploring LS.

GTA V is an xbox 360/PS3 game. Of course night city looks better. 

• Like 1
AntonGandonBF3

Bruh Shneider is in the gaming industry and he still doesn't know that game developers cut things from production?

Does he know that Poland is not in the US and the paying rates are like day and night?

I mean... he doesn't have to launch his article just after everyone by themselves realized how CP2077 release was f*cked up.

You can't be a serious journalist if you don't know at least those things.

All he did is just echo what players were already saying and knew. 

• YEE 1
Geisterfaust
On 1/11/2021 at 1:51 AM, Orbea Occam said:

• Diversity of the landscapes and nature physics;
  • "Verticality": how the map is actually scaled to be interesting while using air vehicles and how it looks good from almost every angle. Ever wondered why Forza Horizon 4 drone angle and height are so limited? Well, the map is not really good from above (it is ugly as hell actually). V, on the other side, is interesting to look at while walking, driving or flying. It's not like you will be doing a lot of flying in Cyberpunk though.
  • Animals;
  • Traffic. If you bother to look at my posting history (don't, it was a long time ago, you will waste your time), you will definitely be aware that I'm not an advocate of GTA V traffic AI. To be frank, I'm convinced that traffic in V is sh*t. But Cyberpunk is much worse and it's 2020 game!
  • The interaction with NPCs and the world.

Seriously, here's the video.

TL;DR: Allow me to be frank. The only influence CP 2077 will have on GTA series  is the inspiration for some future overpriced pixelated outfit for Online.

Disclaimer: I don't hate CP, but it's not a game that should have been 10 years in the making. Ubisoft makes not worse and that's all I need to know. I'm not R* fanboy, I hate them for milking Online, primitive mission design, crappy multiplayer experience, etc, etc. Fair. But their open world game is another level. I would be glad to play a game that is not GTA with a better online world, but alas there is no such game.

Edited by Geisterfaust
  • Like 1
Geisterfaust
On 1/11/2021 at 7:15 AM, Algonquin Assassin said:

This. Cyberpunk is okay game all things considering, but it's not a deal breaker in the industry and it was not aimed to dethrone GTA. Not because it's better or worse, it's just different. The world, the vibe, everything. Sure we can compare some things technically, but in general we are talking apple and oranges.

Edited by Geisterfaust
The Wolf Man
2 hours ago, Geisterfaust said:

This. Cyberpunk is okay game all things considering, but it's not a deal breaker in the industry and it was not aimed to dethrone GTA. Not because it's better or worse, it's just different. The world, the vibe, everything. Sure we can compare some things technically, but in general we are talking apple and oranges.

I disagree. When you put your game as the next level of open-world experience in gaming it's inevitable that there will be comparisons with the masters of open-world gaming (Rockstar obviously). 

And there should be comparisons, so that people can see how competent Rockstar is and how much the other developers will need to push themselves to achieve the same level of quality. This can be extremely benefecial for us, the consumers.

Edited by The Wolf Man
English.
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, TheJesus1996 said:

I missed this guy

Everyone needs to watch this

This is more than some bugs

This is a f*cking scam

How did they think that they would get away after doing this

I am very surprised that they managed to pull that scam without feeling a bit remorse

• Like 5
TheDamnTrainCJ

Even without the game breaking bugs and glitches Cyberpunk2077 is a very mediocore open world game. What made anyone believe this game could possibly challenge GTA 5? I mean even GTA 4 has more realistic pedestrians.

Edited by TheDamnTrainCJ
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, TheDamnTrainCJ said:

What made anyone believe this game could possibly challenge GTA 5

The advertisement was like this is the game that will change video games

And it's like real life if it was a video game and stuff like that

• Like 1
The Wolf Man
14 hours ago, TheJesus1996 said:

I missed this guy

What a gut punch.

It's no surprise that they are being sued by nothing less than thirteen law firms. What happened is both enraging and disappointing.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/77367/cd-projekt-now-getting-sued-by-thirteen-law-firms-for-cyberpunk-2077/amp.html

• Like 3
22 hours ago, TheJesus1996 said:

I missed this guy

damm, I still enjoyed the game because of the story and side quests but they really f*cked up the open world aspect after overhyping it. Not to mention all the bugs

• Like 1
The Wolf Man
12 hours ago, DownInThePMs said:

This is now an official Cyberpunk 2077 Hate thread.

It's fair criticism. There ain't much to praise about this game, at least not for me.