4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Cyberpunk 2077 and the future of GTA

AnimalFather

CDPR has now shown us what a GTA neo tokyo game looks like in RPG mode and it looks freaking amazing. How can Rockstar go forward? Doing the same ol' bland open world will not work anymore. I think for the first time Rockstar has competition when it comes to the contemporary open world genre. Many have tried from Sleeping Dogs to True Crime to Watch Dogs and they have all failed miserably.  Rockstar had a chance to go futuristic cyberpunk but passed it up. Now i feel like its too late. 

9 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

CDPR has now shown us what a GTA neo tokyo game looks like in RPG mode and it looks freaking amazing. How can Rockstar go forward? Doing the same ol' bland open world will not work anymore.

There's a big difference between a futuristic open-world RPG and a present-day American open-world action adventure game. Why are you directly comparing them as if they're interchangeable at all. For the record, open-world isn't, or at least shouldn't be considered a genre, it's more of a blanket term or a sub-genre.

10 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

I think for the first time Rockstar has competition when it comes to the contemporary open world genre.

Rockstar has had competition in the "contemporary open world genre" since 2006. Maybe 2002 if you count Mafia: City of Lost Heaven as "open-world".

12 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

Many have tried from Sleeping Dogs to True Crime to Watch Dogs and they have all failed miserably.

In your opinion maybe. Are you saying this based off their sales? Their reviews?

Not every game with an open world with a crime theme is trying to stand up to GTA. Take Mafia for example, or hell, even Saints Row.

15 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

Rockstar had a chance to go futuristic cyberpunk but passed it up. Now i feel like its too late. 

Maybe they never wanted to go futuristic cyberpunk? On top of this, I think you're giving Cyberpunk 2077 a little too much credit and it isn't even out yet. Who's to say it's even good?

The game would definitely need to be released before we can start talking about its influence on the next GTA; marketing material isn't really known for being a 100% true representation of the final product, what with vertical slices and all.

If we're talking about the general idea and setting of Cyberpunk 2077, I'd say it fills a fairly different niche to GTA - GTA doesn't need to chase a popular niche, it's good well on its own. Do you have any specific points in mind about what Cyberpunk has shown that needs to be heeded by Rockstar?

41 minutes ago, Am Shaegar said:

Rockstar simply needs to make their open worlds more interesting, irrespective of the setting they choose. The formula has become so stale by now. That's the real challenge.

The formula is the one that's being used by every other developer in creating open-world games as well. Why?because it's R* who did set the formula themselves. Even CP2077 is still using the same layout initially introduced by R* back in 2001(but of course it's an RPG game but that's it) . nothing will change about it until R* does. They set the standards for this genre(if you can call it a genre) and others move on with "them". CP2077 didn't have anything new to offer for the so called "genre" based on the 48 min demo. It was just the usual stuff we see but perfected. 

Also let's not forget that CP2077 is an RPG. the closest thing R* has done to an RPG is RDR. GTA doesn't seem to shift towards that direction as of right now except for some usual simple aspects we see in every game nowadays that has been inherited by the RPG genre. 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 2
53 minutes ago, RedDagger said:

The game would definitely need to be released before we can start talking about its influence on the next GTA; marketing material isn't really known for being a 100% true representation of the final product, what with vertical slices and all.

If we're talking about the general idea and setting of Cyberpunk 2077, I'd say it fills a fairly different niche to GTA - GTA doesn't need to chase a popular niche, it's good well on its own. Do you have any specific points in mind about what Cyberpunk has shown that needs to be heeded by Rockstar?

combination of what we saw in the 48min gameplay demo of Cyberpunk 2077 which was far more amazing than anything I have ever seen in a GTA game and the fact that although GTA 5 was great as well the world did not feel believable and had it not been for the amazing characters mostly Trevor the game would have been a complete bore. im not hating all im saying is that for the first time Rockstar has some real competition and REALLY needs to step up their game.

5 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

combination of what we saw in the 48min gameplay demo of Cyberpunk 2077 which was far more amazing than anything I have ever seen in a GTA game and the fact that although GTA 5 was great as well the world did not feel believable and had it not been for the amazing characters mostly Trevor the game would have been a complete bore.

You realise developers only show us what they want us too see in previews and such. It might look interesting and cool but that's only on the surface. It might be yet another open-world game with an ocean of content and the depth of a puddle.

7 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

im not hating all im saying is that for the first time Rockstar has some real competition and REALLY needs to step up their game. 

Again, when have Rockstar never had competition in the open world genre? You're completely disregarding heaps of open-world games based on the merits of a preview and a couple of trailers. Why do Rockstar need to step up their game when Cyberpunk isn't even out yet? By the way, have you even seen the RDR2 previews and trailers? It might all be bullsh*t but it definitely looks like they're making innovations in creating a realistic and authentic world. They're making their own progress, CDPR do their own thing. Yadda yadda yadda.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, RetroMystic said:

By the way, have you even seen the RDR2 previews and trailers? It might all be bullsh*t but it definitely looks like they're making innovations in creating a realistic and authentic world.

well gamestop employees got a 20min demo of RDR2 and they said it was boring and made them go to sleep. 

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/03/red-dead-redemption-ii-demo-was-boring-claim-gamestop-employees-7908048/

Edited by AnimalFather
8 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

well gamestop employees got a 20min demo of RDR2 and they said it was boring and made them to go sleep. 

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/03/red-dead-redemption-ii-demo-was-boring-claim-gamestop-employees-7908048/

Not really relevant to my main point but sure.

Quotes below show's that they played the first 20 minutes of the game, not 20 minutes of the actual game itself. The title of the article completely misrepresents what the GameStop employees actually meant.

‘Beautiful game, but mostly just saw horse riding simulator. Very difficult to stay awake…’ said jgrindberg before adding: ‘Don’t get me wrong, I still think the game will be fantastic, just the demo was kinda boring to watch.’

‘Game looked great but what they chose to show for the first 20 minutes was very boring and not what you would want to show to the people who you want hyped about your game’, they added.

That's the first 20 minutes of the game. Not a good representation for the actual game itself. Especially since the first 20 minutes would be establishing characters and such. Article itself also admits it was just a poor preview.

Edited by RetroMystic
  • Like 2

u keep claiming that rockstar has always had competition and my point is that i dont consider ubisoft competition. rockstar needs to innovate when it comes to GTA, cause right now CDPR is going to eat their lunch.

u keep claiming that rockstar has always had competition and my point is that i dont consider ubisoft competition.

Well lucky for you, me nor the gaming industry cares what you do and don't consider to be competition. Let's keep things objective here. If a game is an action-adventure with open-world elements, guess what, they're competing. You're also viewing this from a very fickle standpoint. This is a serious industry with serious people who want to make money. Gaming companies are always in competition. All of them.

(By the way, I thought of this while I was writing. No this isn't a contradiction of my first post, I said you can't compare GTA to this new CDPR game. I'm saying the gaming companies themselves are in competition).

rockstar needs to innovate when it comes to GTA

This is correct. And they do. GTA V did many things better than IV, IV did many things better than SA, SA did many things better than VC and so fourth. Rockstar is always innovating with new technology, gimmicks, gameplay mechanics and generally pushing the bar on open worlds. It's unfair to say Rockstar isn't an innovative company.

CDPR is going to eat their lunch.

Maybe. Maybe not. R* and CDPR push the boundaries in their own ways. Your whole argument boils down to "CDPR showed off a preview for their new game and it looks good so therefore because it's also open-world, it is going to give Rockstar and by extension the GTA franchise a run for their money" which is just stupid.

Edited by RetroMystic
  • Like 2

The fanboyism for a game that's not even out yet is SO cringy.

A VERY silly topic as Cyberpunk literally has nothing to do with GTA or Rockstar & they are more or less completely different open-world experiences.

• Like 7

@AnimalFather

I think you're completely under the influence of the hype surrounding CP2077 right now. (just like many are under the influence of RDR2 hype). Hype usually makes people blind. From "my point of view" the 48 minute demo did not show anything innovative or revolutionary in terms of gameplay. It was the usual driving, Shooting, RPG elements we see everywhere these days. The main Star of CP2077 which makes it interesting is the "theme". The Cyberpunk theme hasn't been explored that much by other devs and it's gonna be really interesting to see how CDPR will create this world but that's it. Nothing gameplay-wise was innovative about it. The "theme" is what makes the game interesting right now. It's a really unique and interesting theme IMO. 

On the other hand it's the first time CDPR are out of their safe zone. It's the first time they abandoned the witcher series and tried sth new. We can't fully speculate that much until the game has been released. They insisted on the fact that actions have consequences a lot on the demo but isn't that the same thing almost half the devs say when they are marketing their game in the past 10 years and it usually turns out to be scripted bullsh*t?  (heck even R* said the same thing in the RDR2 trailer but they just advertised it in 20 seconds in the gameplay trailer instead of bragging about it for 15 minutes but then again they could be bullsh*tting as well) 

R* seems to be working hard on NPC and world interactions and consequences in RDR2.if the dialogues don't get repetitive and are unique and if the whole "consequences" thing isn't bullsh*t, they definitely have taken the genre to a new level in terms of interaction and this could be used in the next GTA as well. 

Edited by TheSantader25
1 hour ago, Sinner! said:

The fanboyism for a game that's not even out yet is SO cringy.

A VERY silly topic as Cyberpunk literally has nothing to do with GTA or Rockstar & they are more or less completely different open-world experiences.

i think the blind support for GTA is equally cringy. gta5's open world was abysmal. 

17 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

i think the blind support for GTA is equally cringy. gta5's open world was abysmal. 

So was the witcher's. (look, an Opinion! Never heard of those before) 

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

So was the witcher's. (look, an Opinion! Never heard of those before) 

sure i have, seems u haven't since u keep attacking mine..

33 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

sure i have, seems u haven't since u keep attacking mine..

Nope. You point your opinions like they are facts. That's the problem here. At least when you do, bring up valid reasons . don't pull Things like "that's amazing" or "that's abysmal" out of nowhere. Bring reasons so we can discuss them. 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 4

If Rockstar wanna go sci-fi they'll go scifi, their games are good because they do what they want to do instead of following the trends - which is what the shooter genre does with game modes (BR) and settings (the endless loop of world war, modern combat, slightly futuristic combat, repeat).

As for where they go... RDR2 is where they go. It's a bit daft to compare Cyberpunk to current Rockstar games because Rockstar's last game was made for the last generation of consoles. GTA V is five years old. For RDR2 they've talked about deeper AI interaction, a living world that grows as you play it (buildings under construction being worked on as you play), a more interactive world, items and animals you've hunted being physical items in the game, having to carry them on your horse etc, being able to rob people and homes/trains. This is stuff that we've not seen in open world games, if they pull it off anyway.

When it comes to GTA VI they need to follow the same principles they've followed for RDR2 and make the world as interactive as possible, IMO.

Edited by Jason

Classic problem of biased subjectivity in the place of unbiased objectivity. It sounds like GTA just isn't what you're looking for, which is totally fine, there's plenty of other options. Cyberpunk 2077 need not conflict with GTA, as they're incredibly different games, with incredibly different goals. GTA isn't trying to be an in-depth RPG - indeed, it capitalizes on shallow tropes and played-out stories - while Cyberpunk 2077 is likely to hold back on how varied and truly "open" it will be for the betterment of its storytelling. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has outsold both GTA San Andreas and GTA IV, for instance, and while all three games are open world, their markets wouldn't exactly be considered conflicting (though, this being a quasi-capitalist economy, they still are, just not for every buyer). Further, Skyrim could even be considered technically inferior to, say, The Witcher 3, and GTA V superior to Minecraft, but the sales reflect otherwise. There's far more going on in the business than quality of product, and you already know that arbitrary taste is one part of it.

For a lot of people, RPG mechanics are tedious and uninteresting - they're just looking for fun in blowin' stuff up or accomplishing a goal - and, so, those features are superfluous. Wasted time, money, and effort. Other people really do like the immersion and reactive quality of a well-executed RPG, and look for that wherever there's a whisper. Cases of misidentification or just downright sly marketing can drag a player down the wrong path, but the niche has plenty to fill it. From Fallout to Final Fantasy to Heavy Rain, there's a huge variety of more deep games to explore and enjoy, and I'd vote you're just looking in the wrong place. Go check out the off-topic gaming subforum! Plenty of folks there with gaming knowledge, and probably some discussing Cyberpunk 2077 itself!

if you don't think CP2077 is in competition with GTA because of its cyberpunk setting and being a RPG you are sadly mistaken.  but this is something everyone can rejoice in. cause it only means that rockstar cannot create the same bland open worlds as they always have. they will step up their game. everyone wins.

13 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

cause it only means that rockstar cannot create the same bland open worlds as they always have. they will step up their game. everyone wins.

If there's one strong point about a R* game that mostly everyone agrees with, it's the "open-worlds". That's the strongest point of their games. You don't like it? Who cares. You can argue with R*'s stories and gameplay all day long but you're the odd one here if you're talking about their open-world design. And once again if you can't agree with us, feel free to check the reviews of previous R* games. They all have high scores. And once again you didn't bring up reasons for the open-worlds being 'bland'. You just said they are"bland without any valid reasons. 

If you want to jump on against R* then feel free to do it but I think it's totally stupid to do such a thing in a place called "gtaforums". 

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

if you don't think CP2077 is in competition with GTA because of its cyberpunk setting and being a RPG you are sadly mistaken.

No, actually, you're mistaken. Nothing relates GTA to CP2077 except the fact they're "open-world". Two completely different concepts. I don't know why, when a thread full of people explaining to you you're objectively wrong, you are still incessant in your belief of this point.

30 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

but this is something everyone can rejoice in. cause it only means that rockstar cannot create the same bland open worlds as they always have. they will step up their game. everyone wins.

They're not going to "step-up their game" because another company made a totally different game that just happened to be open world. Like others have said, they will make their own games based on what they want, not what's trendy. With GTA Online being pushed so hard it's difficult to say what will come next, but basing off their history the customer always wins with R* because every new game you buy, you're getting a fresh new interesting open-world with a lot to see, packed with detail and character.

• Like 4

I assume we're talking a GTA VI here but yea, how exactly are Cyberpunk and GTA in competition? If they released in the same year they'd compete for end of year awards I'd expect, but if we're talking sales... GTA will slaughter everything.

Honestly, Rockstar don't have to make any drastic changes with the GTA franchise. If they released GTA VI 3 years from now, with a new story, the same kind of humour and improved Online, people would happily lap it up. The formula is working for the vast majority of their playerbase, which isn't on this forum.

The only thing I want them to do in the future is try a brand new IP again. As much as I like GTA and RDR, I don't want to see them start to alternate between the two, especially if RDR2 is a massive seller as expected.

Meh.. I wouldn't want to see a GTA set in Asia. I would prefer an Anglosphere country or maybe Western Europe. Adding some sci-fiction would be very bad idea for the GTA franchise because that franchise isn't something like that. It is based on crime world that happens on the present day or a few decades old. That's why USA fits very good with comedy elements.

• Like 1

Do people think just because something's open world that automatically puts it in competition with GTA? For the life of me I've watched Cyberpunk 2077's gameplay video and I don't get the hype surrounding it. The setting's kind of cool I guess, but I thought the same thing about The Witcher 3 when it was hailed as the second coming of Jesus and I only played for about 5 hours when I realised it wasn't for me at all. For all the things I dislike in GTA V atleast it kept me coming back.

Cyberpunk 2077 will just be another pass over game like so many others dubbed to be "GTA killers" like Watch Dogs, Mafia III etc. Once the hype wears off people will wait for the next open world game and it's be back to the same "R* should be shaking in their boots" bullsh*t.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 11:48 AM, Rez090 said:

@AnimalFatherHow did Sleeping Dogs fail? It had a very compelling story, martial arts that isn't in a straight fighting game. Your character is a cop that is in deep in the criminal world, not even GTA has done that shtick yet.

it was an unfinished mess. 

Self-Destructive Man

People said Watch Dogs would innovate the "open-world genre", and blow GTA out of water, that didn't happen.

So many incredible games were released on the last few years on the "open-world genre" and yet R* didn't changed anything about their ideas and how they implement them in their games. If there's one company that don't want or don't need to change their ways because of other games it's R*.