Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
      4. Frontier Pursuits
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Erased

What band is universally loved by all/most people but you hate?

Recommended Posts

Erased

Sorry if this is already a topic. I searched and couldn't find anything.

 

I'll start. For me, it has to be The Ramones & The Clash. I'm a fan of punk music but IMO these are the two most overrated bands that everyone seems to love. I for one cannot stand either one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rhoda

I wouldn't say "hate" because even in my list, there's songs by these bands I enjoy. In general though, I wouldn't choose to listen to them given the opportunity. I think there's a line because if you're not a fan to begin with, widespread play and critical acclaim is only ever going to get on your nerves. It isn't going to win you round and convert you into even a casual fan. Sorry to anybody who likes/loves these, nothing personal, they just bore me.

 

1. The Rolling Stones

2. The Beach Boys

3. Grateful Dead

4. The Ramones

5. The Kinks

6. Arcade Fire

7. MGMT

8. Bruce Springsteen

9. Bon Jovi

10. Bon Iver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[...]

Florence + The Machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ProKiller93

21 pilots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Testarossa

Death Grips

 

i've tried getting into them multiple times and it never clicked with me I guess, I do enjoy a few of their songs though and do appreciate the fact that they're pretty huge while retaining being experimental.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mr quick

foo fighters

nirvana

nirvana again

john mayer

john mayer

john mayer john mayer john mayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FearThoseWhoFearHim

I don't hate them, just I can't get into.

 

Pantera and Anthrax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Conici

Ed Sheeran and Eminem are the ones that stand out to me, Eminem especially 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cudwieser

Anything current. There are a few good songs, but most is just teeny trash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mr quick

Try actually looking, bro. "current" means anything from now, right? So if say, a bunch of professional musicians started making records where every member wanted to recreate the sound and content of your favorite music, it'd still be terrible by the incredibly shallow parameter of being made in 2018... 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lonely-Martin

2pac.

 

I love rap and hip hop music, especially much from the man's era but I just don't have much of his at all mixed into my playlists. I've most of the albums on the hard drive, if not all. Tried to enjoy them but aside a couple of moments, I really just prefer other artists. 

 

California Love and Changes I think are about it. Much prefer Cypress Hill, Dre/NWA/Cube, and Biggie. I do like Tupac in his movies though, only watched Gridlock'd a couple of months back. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cudwieser
18 hours ago, mr quick said:

Try actually looking, bro. "current" means anything from now, right? So if say, a bunch of professional musicians started making records where every member wanted to recreate the sound and content of your favorite music, it'd still be terrible by the incredibly shallow parameter of being made in 2018... 🙄

Check your own definition. Current means right now, not what is to come (from now). My mind may change, but right now the general output is garbage imo. Tomorrow it may change (I doubt it), but until it does the current will be worthless in my eyes, with probable exceptions like Rag and Bone man 

 

P.S my idea of current is anything within the last 2 years.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mexicola9302

The Ramones

 

I just can't understand why ppl like this horrible music. There are so many ppl on the streets with Ramones T-Shirts, that probably never listened to them.

 

Linkin Park

 

Never liked them hmm maybe one song from the first album, already forgotten the name.

 

Green Day

 

It's just boring, they always play the same 3 accords and call it music.

 

Anthrax

 

I only liked the 3 albums without the original singer.

 

Yeah well all of them and 99% of all mainstream music, i just can't understand how ppl can listen to all of that crap. I have no idea what's popular atm tbh, i just lost track of it like 12 years ago, I just stopped listening to radiostations or watching MTV and whatnot completely stopped watching TV 12 years ago. Every few months i google my favorite artists/bands wikipages, to check if they released new albums, if yes i download them, sometimes i check on youtube and see if there are any new similar artists/bands that i missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mr quick
1 hour ago, Cudwieser said:

Check your own definition. Current means right now, not what is to come (from now). My mind may change, but right now the general output is garbage imo. Tomorrow it may change (I doubt it), but until it does the current will be worthless in my eyes, with probable exceptions like Rag and Bone man 

 

P.S my idea of current is anything within the last 2 years.

 

 

This is perhaps the weirdest semantics mind gymnastics I've seen wrt. the subject at hand. This aside, you seem willing to accept that there are exceptions to this "rule" - applying the same semantic interest as you did with the term "current", and the abidance to arbitrary definitions, it's weird how you say that you hate -anything current-, then go on to say you don't, because you can name something specific you like. I believe what you want to actually express is "For whatever reason, I don't want to put any energy into finding recent music which I like". I understand this, it's easier to dismiss than to make an effort. Musically speaking, however, there is nothing particularly unique about Rag and Bone man, after having listened to him for a bit now. He makes cool music and has a beautiful voice, but it's contemporary pop music. Contemporary in instrumentation, in arrangement, in expression, in groove, in aesthetic. You insisting that current music sucks by virtue of being current doesn't make a difference to me, but you're severely limiting yourself because you obviously like contemporary pop music if you like rag and bone man. The "teeny trash" to which you refer isn't all that different, nor is it representative of all current music. Good lord, man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cudwieser
1 hour ago, mr quick said:

This is perhaps the weirdest semantics mind gymnastics I've seen wrt. the subject at hand. This aside, you seem willing to accept that there are exceptions to this "rule" - applying the same semantic interest as you did with the term "current", and the abidance to arbitrary definitions, it's weird how you say that you hate -anything current-, then go on to say you don't, because you can name something specific you like. I believe what you want to actually express is "For whatever reason, I don't want to put any energy into finding recent music which I like". I understand this, it's easier to dismiss than to make an effort. Musically speaking, however, there is nothing particularly unique about Rag and Bone man, after having listened to him for a bit now. He makes cool music and has a beautiful voice, but it's contemporary pop music. Contemporary in instrumentation, in arrangement, in expression, in groove, in aesthetic. You insisting that current music sucks by virtue of being current doesn't make a difference to me, but you're severely limiting yourself because you obviously like contemporary pop music if you like rag and bone man. The "teeny trash" to which you refer isn't all that different, nor is it representative of all current music. Good lord, man. 

 

 

My point stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mr quick

On crutches. You just want to have your opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sivispacem

To be honest, anyone who completely dismisses all current music just by virtue of it being current is probably doing it to be edgy rather than because of any actual dislike.

Getting enough of an exposure to all current music to actually form an informed opinion would be basically impossible anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doctor Holliday
5 hours ago, Cudwieser said:

My point stands.

You never actually made a point. You just didn't answer the question.

 

The question is hypothetical (because no band is "universally" liked) but if you don't have an answer then don't bother posting anything. For instance, I can't deny the critical acclaim and success that has been achieved by the likes of U2 and Coldplay, but these bands have always been elevator music to my ears :pp

 

While obviously someone out there hates Coldplay and U2, they seem to be pretty well received almost worldwide, and I'm sure Bono and that Chris Martin guy are super nice chaps but I cannot stand the music they make. So those would be my answer... also Maroon 5; Maroon 5 sucks and I don't know whose ass they had to eat in order to get invited for the Super Bowl halftime show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Femme Fatale

*Which

 

I tried really f*cking hard, but I never managed to understand the appeal of Megadeth. The only song I like is Peace Sells, and that's solely because I listened to it like a bazillion on Vice City.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FearThoseWhoFearHim
41 minutes ago, Femme Fatale said:

*Which

 

I tried really f*cking hard, but I never managed to understand the appeal of Megadeth. The only song I like is Peace Sells, and that's solely because I listened to it like a bazillion on Vice City.

Risk was my first album (hated to death for many fans), and the whole discography is awesome, they never disappoint me.

 

I think Megadeth is more 50/50 loved and hated, they changed over the years like Metallica.

 

You are taking a band with different eras since speed/thrash metal transforming into rock/pop to kind of hybrid into both genres.

Edited by MyNameHere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CryptReaperDorian

Nirvana. I'm not going to be the one to completely sh*t all over grunge as I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy any of it. But man oh man, those guys are nails on the chalkboard to my ears. 😧

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blaze
On 8/31/2018 at 10:41 AM, Neptune Homme said:

I wouldn't say "hate" because even in my list, there's songs by these bands I enjoy. In general though, I wouldn't choose to listen to them given the opportunity. I think there's a line because if you're not a fan to begin with, widespread play and critical acclaim is only ever going to get on your nerves. It isn't going to win you round and convert you into even a casual fan. Sorry to anybody who likes/loves these, nothing personal, they just bore me.

 

1. The Rolling Stones

2. The Beach Boys

3. Grateful Dead

4. The Ramones

5. The Kinks

6. Arcade Fire

7. MGMT

8. Bruce Springsteen

9. Bon Jovi

10. Bon Iver

 

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with all of those and add Nirvana, Queen and Bowie. I get the influence, obvious impact and legacy but as you say they're just a gigantic f*cking bore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FearThoseWhoFearHim

Guns N' Roses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jerking For Soup

The Rolling Stones. I won't go so far as to say I hate them but their music is so grossly mainstream and overrated it actually puts me off their music a lot.

 

Notorious B.I.G and Tupac. I've never been too much into classic rap.

 

Nas. He's beloved in hip hop circles for being one of the best lyricists of all time but he only ever released one somewhat legendary album and burned out after Stillmatic.

 

Coldplay. I find their music extremely boring. Parachutes was a somewhat decent record though imho.

 

LCD Soundsystem. Never really formed much of an interest in their music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spider-Vice
On 11/17/2018 at 11:52 AM, Blaze said:

Queen

/thread. Don't hate Queen, but def overrated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Candy_Licker
On 10/16/2018 at 3:10 AM, Doctor Holliday said:

You never actually made a point. You just didn't answer the question.

 

The question is hypothetical (because no band is "universally" liked) but if you don't have an answer then don't bother posting anything. For instance, I can't deny the critical acclaim and success that has been achieved by the likes of U2 and Coldplay, but these bands have always been elevator music to my ears :pp

 

While obviously someone out there hates Coldplay and U2, they seem to be pretty well received almost worldwide, and I'm sure Bono and that Chris Martin guy are super nice chaps but I cannot stand the music they make. So those would be my answer... also Maroon 5; Maroon 5 sucks and I don't know whose ass they had to eat in order to get invited for the Super Bowl halftime show.

Bono is a hypocrite, can't stand that tax evading megalomaniac bigot. And yeah, U2 is really overrated and I "hate" them.

 

Stones, Beatles and Elvis.. can't stand them either. Especially Elvis was more  mascot/icon than good musician.

 

Kanye West is also terrible (+a real prick), dunno what people see in him. Adele, Ed Sheeran? Same...

 

yeah Green Day is also really annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nico

I have a love-hate relationship with the whole rock 'n roll subculture. I like some aspects of it, but at the same time I despise plenty of things. With that said, I have to admit I currently don't hold a rather positive opinion of bands that I previously enjoyed listening to. The Rolling Stones is probably the prime example. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't hate them, but I can hardly identify myself with the entire subculture and lifestyle their music created. My dad and brother went to see them live nearly three years ago and even though they enjoyed the concert, they described the aftermath as a mess, with some drunk / drugged people who couldn't access the event yelling at everyone coming out of the stadium, and some minor incidents. None of this stuff happened nearly a month ago when we went to see Roger Waters at the exact same place, everything was fine.

 

Guns 'N Roses is another case, when I was younger I enjoyed them, and once I even went as far as using them as a point to defend my preference of rock over latino and street music back in my school days. But now I see them as a silly joke, especially taking in consideration how racist and homophobe their lyrics were in the 90's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ghostsoap01

If his name starts with Lil' I abhor him automatically. In all seriousness though, I find U2 highly over-rated (although still somewhat enjoyable).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hikikomori-Yume
On 9/3/2018 at 9:10 AM, Testarossa said:

Death Grips

 

i've tried getting into them multiple times and it never clicked with me I guess, I do enjoy a few of their songs though and do appreciate the fact that they're pretty huge while retaining being experimental.

The only reason that band is known is because of their marketing and PR.

There is nothing special about them whatsoever.

"Current music" is an MK Ultra concept.

The elite use popular music and trends to control populations and society.

There is no reason to listen to or acknowledge any particular band or artist, just search for music on your own and listen to what appeals to you.

Edited by Hikikomori-Yume

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evil empire

Coldplay (I don't really hate but their songs are too weird, I wonder how they can be so popular)

Fianso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.