2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Was the native obfuscation ever removed?

cp1dell

EDIT: Windows 10

i5-4690

GTX 970

16GB RAM

Title pretty much sums it up.

With build 350.3 we got the first Ill-Gotten Gains update. Everything was fine.

With build 393.2 we got Ill-Gotten Gains Part 2. This introduced plenty of performance issues. Ranging from huge FPS drops anywhere in the game, most notably inside Ammunation, when firing a Minigun, being chased by the police etc. This was due to Rockstar adding junk code to make it difficult for people trying to use Scripthook (online) and prevent cheaters.

With build 393.4, it was supposedly removed (partially or completely, I am not sure) and performance was improved.

My question is, was it completely removed, or is it still there in the game? People reported in the 393.4 topic that the huge stuttering issues introduced in 393.2 were gone, but that there were still stuttering issues - possibly due to the native obfuscation code still being present.

I've downgraded my game to 350.3 because I've noticed that performance in the latest patches has reduced. I'm wondering if I should attempt to bump up my game's version to 393.4, or if 350.3 is the last patch before Rockstar really started messing up the game's performance.

Edited by cp1dell
Added system specs

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
2 hours ago, cp1dell said:

Title pretty much sums it up.

With build 350.3 we got the first Ill-Gotten Gains update. Everything was fine.

With build 393.2 we got Ill-Gotten Gains Part 2. This introduced plenty of performance issues. Ranging from huge FPS drops anywhere in the game, most notably inside Ammunation, when firing a Minigun, being chased by the police etc. This was due to Rockstar adding junk code to make it difficult for people trying to use Scripthook (online) and prevent cheaters.

With build 393.4, it was supposedly removed (partially or completely, I am not sure) and performance was improved.

My question is, was it completely removed, or is it still there in the game? People reported in the 393.4 topic that the huge stuttering issues introduced in 393.2 were gone, but that there were still stuttering issues - possibly due to the native obfuscation code still being present.

I've downgraded my game to 350.3 because I've noticed that performance in the latest patches has reduced. I'm wondering if I should attempt to bump up my game's version to 393.4, or if 350.3 is the last patch before Rockstar really started messing up the game's performance.

From everything I've heard it's gone.

It personally went away for me once I upgraded to Windows 10 before I did that the game lagged so bad a slough would've raged quit but as soon as I upgraded to Windows 10 everything went away and it was smooth as could be and haven't had any issues since.

If I DO experience any issues with lag or stuttering it's always online and mostly to blame are other plays with crappy internet trying to play

9 hours ago, AiraCobra said:

From everything I've heard it's gone.

It personally went away for me once I upgraded to Windows 10 before I did that the game lagged so bad a slough would've raged quit but as soon as I upgraded to Windows 10 everything went away and it was smooth as could be and haven't had any issues since.

If I DO experience any issues with lag or stuttering it's always online and mostly to blame are other plays with crappy internet trying to play

I'm assuming you were talking about the latest patch? I'm curious about the hot fix patch for ill gotten gains part two.

I'm already on windows 10.  There's definitely something up though with the newer patches. I'm not sure how long it's been going on for, or if it's improved in the after hours DLC,  but I was on the doomsday heist patch for a while since I didn't want to have to update and reinstall my mods.  A couple weeks ago I decided to play through story mode again, and I noticed I was getting drops into the 40s and 50s in areas that I don't typically remember getting performance hits in.  I chalked it up as something with the patch, maybe even all the GTAO bloat in the game. After I downgraded to one of the earlier patches though, the FPS drops were gone.

I don't know how performance is for every single patch, but with ill gotten gains parts two being the last DLC that was available for the PS3 and Xbox 360, I wouldn't be surprised if after that, is when performance started taking a hit  with each patch.  Not to forget that with the first low riders DLC, the second DLC only available on next GEN and PC,  rockstar added code that constantly checks if a GTAO vehicle is spawned in single player, and removes it.

I mean worst comes to worst, I'll download the files for ill-gotten gains part two and compare the performance of that and part one, myself. I just wanted to open a discussion on this and see what other people know  about the varying performance between patches.  

Edited by cp1dell
  • Like 2

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
On 8/31/2018 at 6:23 AM, cp1dell said:

I'm assuming you were talking about the latest patch? I'm curious about the hot fix patch for ill gotten gains part two.

Nope, I am talking about just right after Ill-Gotten-Gains 2 Update in July 2015 I started having massive FPS drops, Lags that would freeze the screen for upwards to 30 seconds like I'd be traveling in a plane just taken off from the main airport the game would freeze then unfreeze and I'd be near the mountains at the top of the map but once I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 I haven't experienced any issues like you've described since aside like I said from the occasional lag from another player with bad internet speeds.

I do hope you get it sorted out tho that must really suck but you mentioned you use mods....Have you've given any though that one of your mods may not be up to date and causing issues?

It might be a good idea to do a process of elimanation with your mods to make sure they're all good to go and not causing any issues

28 minutes ago, AiraCobra said:

Nope, I am talking about just right after Ill-Gotten-Gains 2 Update in July 2015 I started having massive FPS drops, Lags that would freeze the screen for upwards to 30 seconds like I'd be traveling in a plane just taken off from the main airport the game would freeze then unfreeze and I'd be near the mountains at the top of the map but once I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 I haven't experienced any issues like you've described since aside like I said from the occasional lag from another player with bad internet speeds.

I do hope you get it sorted out tho that must really suck but you mentioned you use mods....Have you've given any though that one of your mods may not be up to date and causing issues?

It might be a good idea to do a process of elimanation with your mods to make sure they're all good to go and not causing any issues

It's with and without mods. When I test out a patch's performance I always do it without mods so I don't waste my time installing them onto a different update.rpf version.

I downloaded the hotfix patch that was released for Ill-Gotten Gains Part 2 (the one after the the initial IGG2 update that fixes the performance issues it introduced) and I'm going to see how it is compared to IGG1. If it's the same I guess I'll just stay on that since the newer patches seem to give me drops in random areas, and I don't mind since GTAO isn't my thing either. I'll post an update afterwards.

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox

Good Luck

Tested both 393.2 and 393.4.

Stuttering and FPS drops when being chased by the police are present in both versions. I'm going to try Title Update 1.13/GTAO 1.29 (The Freemode Events Update). This supposedly fixed issues introduced in IGG1 and IGG2. If there's no improvement for me I guess sticking with IGG1's patch is the best bet. 350.1 is the ideal patch from what I've heard, but unfortunately in my case the issue of being unable to read emails, and getting stuck in the phone and being unable to exit it is present.

EDIT: Title update 1.13/GTAO 1.29 fixes the FPS drops and stuttering when wanted introduced in IGG2 on my end. Luckily this update also doesn't include any GTAO bloat content, and it isn't until Lowriders that Rockstar introduced the background script that removes MP vehicles spawned in SP.

Guess I'm sticking with this patch until Rockstar finally stops updating the game and/or fixed the strange performance hits in the newer patches.

Edited by cp1dell

• 5 weeks later...
Flying Scotsman

They removed the "Obfuscate everything!" patch and are now cherry picking specific natives to obfuscate, mostly to prevent online modders finding them in IDA and using them Online. Off the top of my head - it's natives like  GET_PLAYER_PED and IS_PLAYER_SHOOTING, which also leads to a ban if called via a specific invoker Online. 

• 2 weeks later...
6fangedcutthroatTV
On 9/1/2018 at 11:43 AM, AiraCobra said:

Assuming you were/are on an HDD (as opposed to SSD, yet even then in some use cases) it may be that things have been patched and windows update has patched so many times, you may just be extremely fragmented.

All with any kind of performance issues introduced after any game patches should do this:

1: Run Disk Cleanup in windows - accept no substitute, use that exact tool - check in every single box, then click Optimize System Files button. It will think again for a second, then let you proceed. Let it do its absolute magic. The result will be like a fresh, fully up to date install of windows - with all of your stuff still remaining installed as well.

2: I use Auslogics Disk Defrag, you can use whatever you like. Defragment the hard drive where the game resides if not on the OS bearing drive. Do also the OS bearing drive.

When you do this, you will see marked improvement across the board. Expect to have to do this often as MS pushes out large updates more frequently now, as well as games files are getting huge. A messy drive is a huge problem these days, while SSD storage is still costly.

For those running from an SSD, optimize the drive with its tool or do so in windows. Trim it to see if it works better. When problems persist, make sure there is at least 15% free on the SSD, same goes for HDD.

These steps will take some time on very old installs. It is worth it. Report back, so that others know this is the end-all-be-all for "my game got patched, I lost performance" in 2018 - I'm that confident, after so many times showing people this. We didn't need to do this before, however we get patches so much now on such large files, it's a thing now. Been spreading it around a few other very-large-container-files games, it has helped people immensly. Especially in Call of Duty WWII, where the cosmetics, weapon variants, uniforms are constantly being expanded along with all new content across the board - a lot like GTA V up until now. Highly recommend you give it a try.