1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Dr.Rosenthal

How do you get your friends interested in RDO?

Dr.Rosenthal

Hey all,

First of all, sorry for the wall of text. It's not necessary to read through it all but I thought I'd offer some background to all this. Anyway, I'm curious as to how you'll get your friends interested in Red Dead Online, provided they aren't already? I'm asking, because I have a pretty tight-knit group of people I play GTAO with regularly, and from what I can tell none of them seems very interested in Red Dead Online. I'm the only one of us who's pre-ordered it, and it seems that none of them have even played Red Dead Redemption.

A bit of backstory:

Speaking for myself, I remember when Red Dead Redemption released back in 2010. I had just been playing GTAIV and its expansions, and as such I'd just been blown away by how good they were. I wasn't very much into Online play back then but I loved just exploring the city and coming up with new ways to fight off the cops or taking turns playing with friends, seeing who could survive a 5-6 star wanted level the longest time.

Anyway, this all got me interested in this new western shooter they'd released. I was three months late to the party with RDR, so it'd already been out for a good while before I decided to get it, which would never happen today. And it proved to be an equally good, if not a better experience than GTAIV was for me.

So, I'm thinking maybe my friends are at that point. One of them said he was going to wait for the reviews. Thing is, I don't have to wait for the reviews, I already know they're going to be great. And back in 2010 I thought I'd be less interested in a western setting than in modern day Liberty City, but I was wrong about that. Even though there were no cars in the old west, the action still was much better than in modern day LC!

All of this has me feeling as if my friends are ill-informed, and I wish I could enlighten them. After all, it'd be incredibly fun to have my own posse to explore the western frontier together with, from day one!

Do any of you have any advice for me? I've tried saying "It's sort of like GTA, only western." and I've mentioned the hunting/fishing activities.

know that they'll probably enjoy it if they start playing it together with me. How do I help them understand that? And, also, they're all around 20-30 years old, like me (33 here), so I don't think it's a question of age (otherwise I'd assume younger people are leaning towards GTA while guys my age are more open to the western formula).

The FoolYT
51 minutes ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

Hey all,

First of all, sorry for the wall of text. It's not necessary to read through it all but I thought I'd offer some background to all this. Anyway, I'm curious as to how you'll get your friends interested in Red Dead Online, provided they aren't already? I'm asking, because I have a pretty tight-knit group of people I play GTAO with regularly, and from what I can tell none of them seems very interested in Red Dead Online. I'm the only one of us who's pre-ordered it, and it seems that none of them have even played Red Dead Redemption.

A bit of backstory:

Speaking for myself, I remember when Red Dead Redemption released back in 2010. I had just been playing GTAIV and its expansions, and as such I'd just been blown away by how good they were. I wasn't very much into Online play back then but I loved just exploring the city and coming up with new ways to fight off the cops or taking turns playing with friends, seeing who could survive a 5-6 star wanted level the longest time.

Anyway, this all got me interested in this new western shooter they'd released. I was three months late to the party with RDR, so it'd already been out for a good while before I decided to get it, which would never happen today. And it proved to be an equally good, if not a better experience than GTAIV was for me.

So, I'm thinking maybe my friends are at that point. One of them said he was going to wait for the reviews. Thing is, I don't have to wait for the reviews, I already know they're going to be great. And back in 2010 I thought I'd be less interested in a western setting than in modern day Liberty City, but I was wrong about that. Even though there were no cars in the old west, the action still was much better than in modern day LC!

All of this has me feeling as if my friends are ill-informed, and I wish I could enlighten them. After all, it'd be incredibly fun to have my own posse to explore the western frontier together with, from day one!

Do any of you have any advice for me? I've tried saying "It's sort of like GTA, only western." and I've mentioned the hunting/fishing activities.

know that they'll probably enjoy it if they start playing it together with me. How do I help them understand that? And, also, they're all around 20-30 years old, like me (33 here), so I don't think it's a question of age (otherwise I'd assume younger people are leaning towards GTA while guys my age are more open to the western formula).

Well the only other major thing i could suggest is probably show them the RDR2 Online trailer when it comes outs. Aside from that, I can't really suggest too much. From my personal experience, some people i know wanted to get RDR2 when they saw the gameplay trailer so if they haven't seen that yet, it may help. 

Dr.Rosenthal
18 minutes ago, The FoolYT said:

Well the only other major thing i could suggest is probably show them the RDR2 Online trailer when it comes outs. Aside from that, I can't really suggest too much. From my personal experience, some people i know wanted to get RDR2 when they saw the gameplay trailer so if they haven't seen that yet, it may help. 

Good idea. I also think that if I can only get one of them to join me, the rest might follow. I'm fairly confident I'll be away from GTAO for at least a couple weeks after the release of RDR2, and then come on occasionally to sell some stuff and goof around and check out new DLC of course, but I'll definitely move to RDO in as much capacity as I can.

Cutter De Blanc

My friends try to kill my enthusiasm about anything, so I won't be trying to get them to play

says he's interested in the game and in the same breath implies I'm a loser for still liking video games

Dr.Rosenthal
11 minutes ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

My friends try to kill my enthusiasm about anything, so I won't be trying to get them to play

says he's interested in the game and in the same breath implies I'm a loser for still liking video games

Not that I know much about it, but it kind of sounds like you should get a better friend. I have/had one friend like that as well. One day he liked gaming and the next day he smashed his PS4 to pieces. He could lie on the couch watching YouTube videos or meaningless comedy skits for days on end, but part of him still seemed to feel that gaming in particular is a waste of time.

I love gaming, always have and probably always will. Few people understand that, but I've given up on giving a f*ck.

(Btw; the friends I play with online are from all over and none of them is my IRL friend though I'd very much like to meet them someday)

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

Cutter De Blanc

He's much more interested in playing Magic: The Gathering

because that's so much cooler and all :sarcasm:

AGNT009

The two guys I met just though GTAV have little to no interest in RDR2. Which is surprising, because they spend most of their time on foot in the city starting street gun fights, and not into the vehicles as much. Youd think RDR would be right up their alley. Go figure. 

Thor Shreddington

Create a character. Go out into the world. Make new friends. I'm not saying forsake the old ones, either. Meet new people and build or join a group. I'm sure crews will carry over, or there'll be some equivalent. No one ever said you have a limit on how many people you can be friends with. People like what they like. I'm a huge history buff and I also love new and classic western movies. Hell I'm only 31 years old, but I even watch Bonanza, Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, and all those old B&W TV westerns. I have friends who think that sh*t's all hokey crap. 

My point is that you can't always convince people to like what you like, and maybe you shouldn't bother. 

Ash_735

It's not your job to get people interested in Red Dead Online, we know nothing of it yet and yet you're already certain you'll like it? It's up to Rockstar to provide something worth playing and show its something people can enjoy, but in all honesty a lot of people got burned by GTAO. 

Pocket Fox

Ask them to come outside...

Then charge at them on your horse, running circles around them before lassooing them and dragging them to the store to make a pre-order.

e1999KrayzieBone

Once the reviews come out it will sell itself. 

Dr.Rosenthal
8 hours ago, Thor Shreddington said:

Create a character. Go out into the world. Make new friends. I'm not saying forsake the old ones, either. Meet new people and build or join a group. I'm sure crews will carry over, or there'll be some equivalent. No one ever said you have a limit on how many people you can be friends with. People like what they like. I'm a huge history buff and I also love new and classic western movies. Hell I'm only 31 years old, but I even watch Bonanza, Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, and all those old B&W TV westerns. I have friends who think that sh*t's all hokey crap. 

My point is that you can't always convince people to like what you like, and maybe you shouldn't bother. 

You're right - of course I could (and probably will) make new friends in the west, but I happen to be lucky enough to have built a very tight-knit group after years of playing GTAO. I know that there are at least two of them online every night, just as I am. So it's pretty good to have that to rely on for doing jobs, or when you want to try out different game modes. They're good at the game too, which makes it even better. I'd really want all that to carry over into the first days of RDO, ideally.

4 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

It's not your job to get people interested in Red Dead Online, we know nothing of it yet and yet you're already certain you'll like it? It's up to Rockstar to provide something worth playing and show its something people can enjoy, but in all honesty a lot of people got burned by GTAO. 

I've enjoyed the hell out of GTAO these past 5 years, and even though I don't agree with a lot of the choices R* has made, I've always enjoyed playing it. And a lot of the things I've requested since 2013 has made it into the game. Of course, I can't be 100% certain that I'll love RDO, but if I'd have to guess I'd guess I will. It would be extremely surprising if R* releases RDO and it's a downgrade from both GTAO and RDR. I'm certain they'll have improved a lot of things. Hell, they've had 8 years to develop it, 5 of which has been alongside of developing GTAO. Also, like @AGNT009 pointed out; if nothing else, RDO should be an improvement if you favor gun physics/gunplay. Granted, I've not seen it properly yet, but RDR had better gunplay than any GTA to date and the developers are saying they've improved on RDR.

It's not like I view it as my mission to "preach the gospel" about how good RDR2 will be. It's more a matter of me having a great crew which I'd want to transfer over, all the while remembering that I too once viewed the Red Dead series as a curiosity just as my friends are now doing with RDR2. Boy, how ignorant that was of me.

If they don't want to play it, of course I'll meet new friends to play it with, but it takes time to find people who'll be guaranteed to be online every night, who knows how to behave on mic, who knows how to co-operate, who wants to try out different game modes while also being good enough at the game to fight off other intervening groups of players, who'll help you when you need it and who are also fun, friendly etc etc etc...

And maybe I made it sound a bit too serious, as this was more meant to be a thought-provoking discussion, i.e: "What are the USPs of RDR2, in your opinion (or the RD franchise in general)? How would you describe it to sell it to your sister/your granddad/your dog/...?"

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

The people I know personally are lukewarm. A few are probably going to order (since the gameplay trailer) and it would be nice to form a gang with people I know but TBH, I’m not too keen on playing with anyone who hasn’t got a brand on their ass and is not ready to give this 100%.

Like others have said, we can find people online to hang with and hopefully a gang.

I had a lot of fun with a few friends I met online and also with friendly rivals – players you might be fighting one day, but who come guns-a-blazin’ and give you a hand the next day if you were outnumbered. A few spoke a different language (messaging, I never had a PS3 headset), so I’d have to Google and reply and hope I didn’t say anything crazy.

That’s what it was all about. I loved that stuff and have no reason to believe this won’t be even better, much better.

Edited by 1898

damienrayemusic
17 hours ago, Thor Shreddington said:

This. To add to this I'm gonna say honestly I used to literally be tasked with selling people stuff at Best buy, and Everytime that I "sold" someone on something be it RDR or anything else (I always tried to squeeze in red dead in any convo about games thought cause it makes me happy) lol I just show my passion and true feeling about the game I don't try too hard to persuade or anything I just make it known how much I personally love it and why I do. And for a western especially, a lot of people are like pfft horses? No automatic guns? "Man that sh*ts boring do u play fortnite? It's much better" lol people literally said that to me and I tried to not say anything or laugh it off. Anyways point is lots of people assume westerns are boring which oh well, their loss. I feel the love of a western translates to a certain person. The ones like us who can't get enough of the views, the way they talk, the weapons, the town's. The nature etc. Anyone who doesn't find that stuff appealing is hard to change their mind on cause it's just "so boring" 

11 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

Ask them to come outside...

Then charge at them on your horse, running circles around them before lassooing them and dragging them to the store to make a pre-order.

Hahahahahaa.😆 This one made me laugh really hard. Talk about maximum immersion lol if there's anyway to get someone to buy Red Dead, I would resort to this myself. 

Thor Shreddington
2 hours ago, damienrayemusic said:

a lot of people are like pfft horses? No automatic guns? "Man that sh*ts boring do u play fortnite? It's much better"  

Philistines!

gonnaenodaethat

Grow a significantly large dastardly looking moustache and tie them to the railway tracks until they succumb

Problem solved

TheExecutor10

I personally only know of one person I regularly meet in real life who is going to play with me.

Other than that I'm going to depend on meeting new people on the frontier or via this forum.

It would be beneficial if we had a group on Xbox, so that there are always people online that are just as engaged as you are.

That's not the case with my rl friends though, they mostly play CoD on steam lol

Edited by TheExecutor10

ferguson99

Show them videos of the first RDR.

Ash_735
33 minutes ago, ferguson99 said:

Show them videos of the first RDR.

Not really the best idea as Red Dead Redemption MP was brilliant and fun and none of that was in GTAO, and Red Dead Online seems to be heavily influenced from GTAO.

ferguson99
5 minutes ago, Ash_735 said:

Not really the best idea as Red Dead Redemption MP was brilliant and fun and none of that was in GTAO, and Red Dead Online seems to be heavily influenced from GTAO.

Videos of Red Dead Redemption (2010=2013)  

MadHammerThorsteen

All the friends I want to play with already want it just as much as I do.

xbox 360

Show them gameplay videos. Should get them interested if its up their alley. Too bad I can't tell if my friends want this game as they just play Fortnite 24/7.

Dr.Rosenthal

Happy to announce that several of my friends got the game, maybe a bit thanks to me and an online buddy who kept up the hype and couldn't stop talking about our excitement during our long GTAO party-sessions. My "closest" wingman on GTAO (we play pretty much daily together) is completely sold, particularly about the fishing. It makes me happy because he wasn't too excited at first and he wasn't that much into a western setting. But he loves it and we have pretty much stopped playing GTAO because all of us are lost in the west.

So, yeah, I got what I wanted, which was friends from the get go when RDO drops. We'll be at least 3-4 banding together from day 1. Really excited about it!

Smokewood

just invite them over and show it to them.

or make a video and show them.

Revoemag

Easiest way to get your friends interested is to tell them it's a dlc for fortnite..