1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Black Terminator

Mass shooting at video game tournament in Jacksonville leaves multiple dead

AiraCobra
10 hours ago, Jerking For Soup said:

lmao no it's not.

You don't just decide to shoot up a tournament because you lost a game.

That's rediculous.

There's something else up with it. He has to have some issues OTHER than beinf beaten at a f*cking game.

By that logic of him just being a 'bad loser' all of us gamers would be mass shooters.

Then you obviously don’t watch or read the news.

people have shot and killed for much less just a few weeks ago in Cleveland a guy shot into a crowd of people killing one and injuring many other simply because some guy looked at his girl

Jerking For Soup

And what are the common markings of these people who shoot others for something ridiculous?

Their mentalities are all f*cked.

Say what you want but no sane person just plans a mass shooting because he lost a video game.

If these people are considered normal or even just "sore losers" then that makes it normal to go and shoot people for minor reasons.

Nobody thinks "oh no I lost a sh*tty game of Madden now I have to pick up this gun and unload a few caps into one of the players to exact sweet revenge".

I'm fully aware this happens, but there has to be something deeper and this guy has to be off his meds or something.

feckyerlife
25 minutes ago, Jerking For Soup said:

And what are the common markings of these people who shoot others for something ridiculous?

Their mentalities are all f*cked.

Say what you want but no sane person just plans a mass shooting because he lost a video game.

If these people are considered normal or even just "sore losers" then that makes it normal to go and shoot people for minor reasons.

Nobody thinks "oh no I lost a sh*tty game of Madden now I have to pick up this gun and unload a few caps into one of the players to exact sweet revenge".

I'm fully aware this happens, but there has to be something deeper and this guy has to be off his meds or something.

when kids start getting awards for coming in last place all the time, you start to get mentality like this. 

Edited by feckyerlife

M.K.N.

This guy (David Katz, the shooter), gives gamers a bad name, can't take losing seriously and brings ragequitting a new low. In all seriousness, however, where was security? Sporting events should always have at least some kind of tight security, especially with what's been going on recently in the past. The lack of security makes me wonder if local authorities even takes even the minor crimes seriously at all.

Hope that shooter (who was also a sore loser before he started shooting at other people) enjoys losing over and over again in hell. As for the victims, your hearts will always be strong, no matter what.

TEMPL4R
16 minutes ago, M.K.N. said:

This guy (David Katz, the shooter), gives gamers a bad name, can't take losing seriously and brings ragequitting a new low. In all seriousness, however, where was security? Sporting events should always have at least some kind of tight security, especially with what's been going on recently in the past. The lack of security makes me wonder if local authorities even takes even the minor crimes seriously at all.

Hope that shooter (who was also a sore loser before he started shooting at other people) enjoys losing over and over again in hell. As for the victims, your hearts will always be strong, no matter what.

Yeah what a tragedy event, but who expected that someone will bring a gun to a game tournament? It's just all about game and having fun, this guy David is a f*cking maniac.

Furry_Monkey

The guy was clearly not sane and should never have been allowed to own a gun.  It's a combination of things that caused this very sad turn of events, but you can pretty much guarantee that because one of the issues is gun control, this story will become an easy target for the deflectors to make it about gaming.

I fully expect to see tight enforcement of what we have in games, before we ever see a change in gun control.

Very sad event, for everyone involved.

Kiethblacklion

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/suspect-madden-19-tournament-shooting-targeted-gamers-sheriff-234520066--abc-news-topstories.html

Here is an update. It seems the shooter had a long history of mental health issues. His mom and dad were divorced and the mom kept trying to get him help but the dad seemed to fight her efforts every step of the way.

I also gather from the article that the shooter wasn't in Jacksonville because he was taking part in the tournament. I think it is safe to speculate that he was knocked out of the competition to get into the tournament and thus ended up going to the tournament with the intent of shooting the top Madden players.

As for the security of this event, it was being held in a room adjoined with a pizza parlor. That would be the equivalent of maybe going to a local library, renting out one of their conference rooms and setting up a tournament. I doubt there was any real security at all (after all, who would think that a video game tournament would be a target for a shooting). I would say any future events for this should be held in a more secure venue.

darthYENIK

It’s coming out all over again.

“Do video games cause violence?”

I heard a TV talking head say, “they really need to start studying if there is a correlation between video games and violent behavior”.  In 30 f*cking years of this bullsh*t, 30 f*cking years of psychology and science telling us, no, there is no correlation, this is the first and only incident I can recall where video games were directly related to a mass shooting.

I f*cking hate news media.  No regard for the truth.  Just get those ratings, with zero regard for misinforming the people who depend of them to learn what’s going on in the world.

AiraCobra
6 hours ago, Kiethblacklion said:

I also gather from the article that the shooter wasn't in Jacksonville because he was taking part in the tournament. I think it is safe to speculate that he was knocked out of the competition to get into the tournament and thus ended up going to the tournament with the intent of shooting the top Madden players.

This is from an article I read earlier on CNN and quote from another gamer who was involved with the tournament...

Alexander Madunic, a gamer who was shot in the foot, said the shooter lost a game in the Madden tournament earlier in the day and was angry.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/27/us/jacksonville-madden-tournament-shooting/index.html

I was watching Inside Edition yesterday and they did a somewhat in-depth look at the shooters the previous tournament plays and during one interview after he had won the Madden 2017 Bills Championship tournament said "I think personally I am the best player out there" but all anybody could talk about during his tournament plays was how socially awkward he was/is towards fellow gamers how he would have the same stone face look whether he won or lost a tournament and he even slighted a fellow gamer who came over to shake his hand after winning a match against him.

Suspect David Katz in 2017 when he won tournament.

He just won a major tournament and doesn't even crack a smile.

According to court records, he had previously been hospitalized for mental illness and diagnosed with  schizophrenia and put on antiphysoctic medication to treat it objected, saying he "has seen no evidence whatsoever of schizophrenia in David Katz. David seems well aware of reality at all times."

He was also placed on two antidepressants, which his father said at the time "pose significant and unknown risks to the children."

The father's disapproval of his son taking this medication and getting mental illness help was so bad with his mother the court had to assign a guardian to oversee David's healthcare during the divorce.

David bought the guns he used during the shooting legally and people are questioning how he was able to do so, Well because he was never involuntary committed to the hospital by Police or the Courts there was no legal records of this so when he went to buy the guns and his application was put through NICS and whoever who did the background checks whenever someone buys a gun wouldn't see any mental illness related issues in his records and since he doesn't have any felon convictions he was able to buy a gun.

So unless the buyer checks the "I have a mental illness box or they have been Baker Acted" there is no way to know if a person has a mental illness due to HIPPA Laws.

Exkabewbikadid
6 hours ago, darthYENIK said:

I f*cking hate news media.  No regard for the truth.  Just get those ratings, with zero regard for misinforming the people who depend of them to learn what’s going on in the world.

CNN, Fox News and NBC are all banned from my house.  Corporate shills to the bone who care nothing about truth and feed the public lie after bullsh*t lie.  They'll never report upon the dangers of antidepressant and antipsychotic drugs when they're backed by big pharma.  Having spent the better part of my 20s f*cked up on such medications, I have firsthand experience with just how bad they can be. I ditched that garbage and replaced them with cannabis and I've been sound as a pound ever since, but there's no big money to be had in such a story so reefer madness rages on.  The longer capitalism goes unchecked, the further society will deteriorate.

luisniko

There you go. A weirdo. Bought a gun. GG.

When I was in school, there was a somehow mentally ill guy. He can be nice, chit-chat with me (and others) like a normal person and in the next hour he put my backpack and pencil case in different garbage cans and he didn't mean any troll. He wouldn't be smiling, he wouldn't admit, and he would yell or mumble afterwards. Comparing to this Madden case, probably I should be glad that my mental classmate didn't pick any scissor or pen knife to randomly stab people.

They need to apply a better gun law.

Pete4000uk

Violence in video games is world wide. A mentally unhinged guy buying guns and shooting people is mostly an American thing