3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

GTAFan3DHD

Why I prefer GTA SA to GTA V

GTAFan3DHD

Hello there,

I've played both GTA V and GTA SA numerous times, but I would prefer San Andreas to V any day. Here's why:

Even though GTA SA has a smaller map, inferior graphics, and less playable characters and vehicles than V, its story is where the differences really show through. First, it has an all-star cast, including Samuel L. Jackson as Tenpenny and David Cross as Zero. Second, the story begins with a theme of loyalty, conquers betrayal mid-story, and ends with the same loyalty it started out with. Loyalty to friends, family, and cohorts is invaluable to CJ and never wavers. In GTA V, the story starts out with betrayal, forges a loyalty mid-story, and ends with two cases of betrayal and one case of loyalty (endings A, B, & C). The playable characters in V display this trait in a variety of ways. Michael betrays his friends before the story begins and neglects his family until close to the end. Franklin ventures out on his own, forgoing his past ties to his family and his gang. Trevor seems to kill without sound reason, which is the one trait that any character in SA never displayed (even Tenpenny). Loyalty in GTA SA enriches the characters, while betrayal in V breaks them apart.

This is just my opinion of the two games. What do you think of GTA SA and GTA V?

Sinner!

Do we really need individual topics for why I like this (insert game here) more than this other game?

CHARMANDER50

I think that GTA V non--canon story of Johnny K. death made 

it worse than GTASA although GTASA has better gameplay.

Still GTASA CJ canon story sucks it makes up for better 

, without mini--games.

Haha365
On 8/19/2018 at 11:34 AM, Am Shaegar said:

SA will certainly remain the undisputed king of the series for me. V could have turned out even better if Rockstar hadn't been so crazy about Online.

Preach it. 

SmokesWithCigs

Story?!?! You play video games you don't read them. What is it with you people and story. Yeah gta san andreas is a great adventure with a good plot but let's talk about what really makes san andreas great, the gameplay. Even with outdated graphics this came outshines the IHD era

mde2
10 hours ago, SmokesWithCigs said:

Story?!?! You play video games you don't read them. What is it with you people and story. Yeah gta san andreas is a great adventure with a good plot but let's talk about what really makes san andreas great, the gameplay. Even with outdated graphics this came outshines the IHD era

>"what is preference"

GTA-Biker

Why I prefer SA:

-better map

-better NPC AI

-better written story and characters

-better soundtrack

-better driving physics (especially for motorcycles),at least IMO

-more story missions and better side activities

-it didn't need DLCs to add new content,all you needed to have fun was already in the game (and even if you did want to add or change something,there were tons of mods for PC version)

LeeC2202

I despised SA when I first played it and having just found the SA Reborn files on Steam, I installed it again. Within 20 minutes, I despise it again. I absolutely cannot stand the whole "black gang culture" and the offensive language (to me) it relies on. I hated the Franklin and Lamar part of V for the same reason, luckily V had 2 other characters I could play to avoid that side of things, until I was forced to do missions with Franklin.

I wish you could turn the voices off because I could then play it without subtitles as well. The side events sound interesting (apart from the dressing up and haircuts stuff) but the main game means I will never see them. So for that reason alone, any game in the GTA series is going to be preferable to SA. I thought I might have been able to skip all the talking parts and just rely on game hints but it seems some aren't skippable. :(

But even though I prefer V, I don't like the 3 character thing it has going on. I would rather it had been like IV (which remains my favourite by a long way) and just focused on a single character. I don't think any of the characters were strong enough to have carried the full game on their own though. They all felt like supporting actors, in a film where you never got to see the lead actor. It was like a Coronation Street meets Eastenders meets Hollyoaks type of thing. Trevor probably had the most character but wasn't a particularly pleasant character to play as. I also didn't like the lack of non-essential things to do in V. I always meant to try and get the pool working but it never happened.

So SA fell at the first hurdle and V stumbled clumsily across the line but for all its failings, I would take V over SA every time. Only my personal opinion of course, hence me not using the terms Bad in reference to SA. It seems to be great, I'll just never find out.

CHARMANDER50
3 hours ago, LeeC2202 said:

I despised SA when I first played it and having just found the SA Reborn files on Steam, I installed it again. Within 20 minutes, I despise it again. I absolutely cannot stand the whole "black gang culture" and the offensive language (to me) it relies on. I hated the Franklin and Lamar part of V for the same reason, luckily V had 2 other characters I could play to avoid that side of things, until I was forced to do missions with Franklin.

Reborn huh !

A R* update while still on SINGLE PLAYER?

Are you being a jerk or an insensitive pussy, you posted nonsense 

about a Mature rating stamped game.

Cracker recruiting thugs is a real bug selling crack is for real .

Franklin , Vic Vance, CJ , Tony Prince, Luis Lopez all this boys did was part of the Mature story inspired gameplay !

Don't be another brick lovin' crook cause it really makes my Cojones 

bounce endlessly out of ingratitude !

Edited by CHARMANDER50

UndeadPotat0

I liked GTA San Andreas and as a game it's definitely fun. But I prefer GTA V bc 1. Checkpoint technology 2. Dog graphics 3. The characters actually had detail and motivation. Tenpenny was too much like a comic book villain. Evil for the sake of evil.

Officer Ronson

Having played SA-MP and GTA SA singleplayer for a very long time, I can say that the game is terribly over-glorified. The AI is extremely stupid, the physics are buggy and sometimes going over the sidewalk can cause your car to flip the f*ck out, compared to the game's previous styles, it's dulled and washed in comparasion (atleast the PC version).

ThatKyloRenGuy

Neither game is as good as IV, EFLC, VC, or III in my honest opinion, but I agree that I prefer SA over V. Even though I didn’t like most characters from both games, SA actually had just a little more likable characters (to me) than V did. Also, SA doesn’t kill off characters I like from other games for the sole basis of shock value unlike V (and yes, I know it takes place after VC but before III, despite being made after both of them). Thanks for making this thread OP because I actually like seeing SA and V being contrasted to each other as it seems like too many people who are fans of one also like the other.

TheSantader25

^I almost had a heart attack when I saw RIP VIC, RIP CJ, RIP TOMMY, etc on a wall in GTA 4. so much for not killing other characters. I know it was because they moved to the HD era. But I felt like R* was pouring more salt on my wound with that Easter egg. Goes to show how they completely threw anything they achieved with the 3D era away with IV. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Miamivicecity
3 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

^I almost had a heart attack when I saw RIP VIC, RIP CJ, RIP TOMMY, etc on a wall in GTA 4. so much for not killing other characters. I know it was because they moved to the HD era. But I felt like R* was pouring more salt on my wound with that Easter egg. Goes to show how they completely threw anything they achieved with the 3D era away with IV. 

Don't you think you're being a bit too dramatic? Atleast when people criticise GTA V for the way it treats certain GTA IV/EFLC characters they have a bloody good reason since it's something we physically WITNESS yet here you're trying to make it seem like what is a bunch of barely legible writing is on the same level when it's really just a harmless easter egg since one of the protagonists already died anyway.

I don't see any malice in it at all. It's literally just an easter egg. Nothing more, nothing less. I would even say it was R*'s way of a small tribute without making a big song and dance since it can be found on random walls in buildings all throughout the city rather than something being used as a plot device. I strongly doubt their intention was to try and piss anyone off.

TheSantader25
1 hour ago, xXxRyanxXx said:

Don't you think you're being a bit too dramatic? Atleast when people criticise GTA V for the way it treats certain GTA IV/EFLC characters they have a bloody good reason since it's something we physically WITNESS yet here you're trying to make it seem like what is a bunch of barely legible writing is on the same level when it's really just a harmless easter egg since one of the protagonists already died anyway.

I don't see any malice in it at all. It's literally just an easter egg. Nothing more, nothing less. I would even say it was R*'s way of a small tribute without making a big song and dance since it can be found on random walls in buildings all throughout the city rather than something being used as a plot device. I strongly doubt their intention was to try and piss anyone off.

Nope that's genuinely how I felt the first time I saw it. I didn't find this in the internet. I discovered this easter egg myself and that's why it hit me hard because I wasn't expecting it. To me it always felt like a big f*ck you from R*. "f*ck you. This is the direction we're going. so you have to get on with it. Forget the past." that's how I read it. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Miamivicecity
14 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Nope that's genuinely how I felt the first time I saw it. I didn't find this in the internet. I discovered this easter egg myself and that's why it hit me hard because I wasn't expecting it. To me it always felt like a big f*ck you from R*. "f*ck you. This is the direction we're going. so you have to get on with it. Forget the past." that's how I read it. 

If that's the worst thing R* could've done 3D era fans got off lightly. It was one of those things I discovered myself too, but I didn't think there was anything in it. Keep in mind I'm also a fan of Vice City and Tommy so it didn't feel like a stab through the heart to me.

Considering the amount of other easter eggs that actually celebrate the 3D era like Claude's outfit, the mini golf course with various 3D era landmarks, the San Andreas TV commercials etc I still stand by the belief they weren't trying to piss anyone off.

Journey_95
Posted (edited)
On 9/3/2018 at 1:27 AM, SmokesWithCigs said:

And what is it with you and this backwards thinking? Video games can have great stories (proven many times) and experiencing a story in an interactive way makes for a much different experience than reading a book or watching a movie.

Anyway no GTA SA is worse than GTA V in most ways, story and gameplay.

Edited by Journey_95

DirtCheap
Posted (edited)

Obviously GTA SA is far superior than GTA V (which is still a great game, mind you).

Why?

• better story (come at me fanboys)
  • better characters
  • better radio
  • better theme
  • better (intro) music
  • better weapons
  • better vehicles
  • better main character (far better than the lames Franklin and Michael; just a good bit better than Trevor)
  • better theme
  • better game mechanics
  • better map
  • better side-missions
  • better police force

And just remember, that's just my opinion ;)

Edited by DirtCheap

flgta

EFLC, especially Gay Tony is better than V, IMO. Both The Lost and Tony, especially The Lost, now that I've played it more, is a lot of fun and reminds me in some ways of III with a throw back to the mission Triads and Tribulations. There really isn't much different in V that is done in other games. And at least in the other, older games, more buildings can be explored. In the case with SA, apartments/houses. In the case with IV, a hospital. That's nonexistent in V. Cluckin Bell is there but you can't go inside anymore, unlike the majority of convenient stores that you can go in. The graphics are superb and some missions are good, but dependable on preference. Some of the music channels are good. Some of the side missions are good, although a bit out there like the alien attacks, but that goes from a drug induce effect just like falling from the sky.The capability of Online has been a primary focus and more features which I don't care for. It's a 3.5 out of 5 and somewhat mediocre when I think about it.

SmokesWithCigs
Posted (edited)

ever since I joined this site all I ever see is: "blah blah blah story". I've been playing games before there were stories , the the only story was an Italian plumber climbs a construction site to save his girlfriend from a gorilla and a yellow circle eats dots and gets chased by ghost. now we live in an era where games have voice actors and mocap and models props green screen etc so they have movie like quality and a story.  you people talk about story so much I just came to remind you all that these are still  "GAMES" and "GAMES" suffer when they get too cinematic.

gta v is the perfect example. this game is filled with filler missions that are just drive here reach destination and then cutscene with no gameplay. or missions that are drive here have back and forth phone conversation with other character and switch character for a different perspective then reach destination for about 2 minutes of gameplay (predator,friends reunited etc) .about your last point about gameplay being better than san andreas I beg to differ. gta v is filled with gamebreaking bugs like business assets not triggering(downtown cab co , movie theater) briefcases that don't spawn in the sea. bland side activites and minigames smaller amount of missions and for a small game plenty of filler non action missions, hand holding. non interesting customization really the clothes and hairstyles  suck in this game especially for franklin. a boring map with nothing really to explore and uninteresting easter eggs.  on the subject of mini games golf and tennis is only fun online playing against randoms or friends. add to that motive and incentive. gta v was centered on heist and there was hardly any money to be made and less to spend on than gta san andreas  no safe houses and I reiterate the clothes and hair styles suck .  the game has some good missions but it takes more than that to carry a game. trevor and his rampages , side activities and random events are the one saving grace for this game. really side activites like tow truck, nuclear waste clean up and submarine scraps in the sea is f*cking bland. even the rewards are lame. you go all over the state hunting down letter scraps, monkey mosaics, and space ship parts for sh*t I cant even use in the game . an alien dune buggy , a blista compact and some clothes wow oh boy were having a time now aren't we!?!. next gen was a let down I upgraded to ps4 for (yawn) stock car racing a lazily done murder mystery, and animal photography oh boy now its a petting zoo !  oh and did I mention the peyote plant horaay I get to ingest virtual psycho hallucenogens  become a pigeon or a cat!  wow ! gta san andreas was pure fun and compared to san andreas gta v was a letdown and that's why I want to talk about gameplay. that's what made san andreas stand out fun . do you know what fun is ?I was a gta v hype fiend during the first two years but now I see it as just a passable game to me. it doesn't hit all the checkboxes that makes a great gta game or open world game and that takes more than a good story to pull off ,sorry pal.

Edited by SmokesWithCigs
spe

Miamivicecity
On 10/6/2018 at 11:35 PM, SmokesWithCigs said:

ever since I joined this site all I ever see is: "blah blah blah story". I've been playing games before there were stories , the the only story was an Italian plumber climbs a construction site to save his girlfriend from a gorilla and a yellow circle eats dots and gets chased by ghost. now we live in an era where games have voice actors and mocap and models props green screen etc so they have movie like quality and a story.  you people talk about story so much I just came to remind you all that these are still  "GAMES" and "GAMES" suffer when they get too cinematic.

Why do people like you assume stories are only what modern gamers care about? If all you played is Mario and Pac Man then you missed out on a lot of great story telling games. The relationship with video games and stories has always gone hand in hand, but like most things it's the technology that evolves that allows them to be expressed.

Instead on cinematic cutscenes with AAA voice acting games back then had dialogue boxes. Look at the Legend Of Zelda games for example. They're often regarded as some of the best story telling games of all time and the first game came out in 1986 on an NES. Of course not all games require a story to tell (that depends on the genre), but I'd be lying if I said that some of the best moments I've ever had in gaming didn't me from the stories most are capable of telling.

Maybe people go "blah, blah, blah story" because it's actually interesting?  It's a hard question to ponder I know, but just going out on a limb.

Beato_dim

I don't think the original Zelda was actually that plot-heavy of a game. Next ones more so, yes.

mde2
2 hours ago, Beato_dim said:

I don't think the original Zelda was actually that plot-heavy of a game. Next ones more so, yes.

The Legend of Zelda, the first one on the NES, came with a 50 page manual going in-depth on the world, story and characters which can be found here. It even comes with some nice pictures.

It was an NES game so obviously Nintendo couldn't tell an epic story about a fantasy world through the technology they had, so they compromised by creating what amounts to a novella. Of course as time went on and technology got better, the means to tell a story within the game itself opened up thus we have what we see today.

Domand

Im surprised things are mostly neutral here with a topic like this...unless we turn it into SA vs IV lol. 

Hmmm I guess the only reason I would agree with you is in terms of story. Cause I found myself having fun in both games with the gameplay and stuff. But story and character wise, SA had more to it I enjoyed. compared to V. 

Edited by Domand

SmokesWithCigs
On 10/10/2018 at 12:00 AM, xXxRyanxXx said:

Why do people like you assume stories are only what modern gamers care about? If all you played is Mario and Pac Man then you missed out on a lot of great story telling games. The relationship with video games and stories has always gone hand in hand, but like most things it's the technology that evolves that allows them to be expressed.

Instead on cinematic cutscenes with AAA voice acting games back then had dialogue boxes. Look at the Legend Of Zelda games for example. They're often regarded as some of the best story telling games of all time and the first game came out in 1986 on an NES. Of course not all games require a story to tell (that depends on the genre), but I'd be lying if I said that some of the best moments I've ever had in gaming didn't me from the stories most are capable of telling.

Maybe people go "blah, blah, blah story" because it's actually interesting?  It's a hard question to ponder I know, but just going out on a limb.

We'll, most of the post I saw was about story. I just feel that gameplay would be the litmus variable ,would be the decider in this San Andreas vs V debate. If you want to talk story both have great story development although Franklin's part in V could've been fleshed out more.

Tycek

While I'm being known for not being the most die hard SA fan, I spent really quality time with it back in 2005. I've completed it five times and each time was rather pleasant experience.

GTA V is superior to SA only in technical aspects, like graphics and physics, but SA was much better game for 2004 than V was for 2013.

boludoz

gta v online, graphics (with the passage of years you will not notice the difference, If you think cold it is only a generation.), simplicity and richness of history.

gta sa: history quality ,mods,map, easy moding etc

the only thing that fails rockstar is to go back (remove cities SF, LV, and things that are from the gta vc)

They removed all the interaction with the character, eat and get fat and go to the gym, and put things that nobody uses like golf and tennis, it takes away one's freedom.

and that is technically superior to the gta and I doubt it very much. I think it's because of the relatively new RAGE, I think this is corrected in RDR 2.

someone is talking to you that has more than 3500 hours online and is level 600.

Edited by boludoz

Beato_dim
12 hours ago, boludoz said:

and put things that nobody uses like golf and tennis

I do!

SmokesWithCigs
1 hour ago, Beato_dim said:

I do!

1 hour ago, Beato_dim said:

I do!

Yeah, in online against friends and randoms