4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

AxA

RDR2 PC Discussion

TheSiphon

15 minutes ago, Jimbatron said:

I agree is a suspicious coincidence and there is a theoretical motive, but if they were taken to court and lost they could be liable for the value of all those RDR 2 sales  - which is a lot. That’d be a whopping risk to take and I just can’t see the marginal benefits would outweigh it even if you leave the morality a side.

True. I don't think it was an intentional choice.

But if it was intentional, I still doubt there is any way to prove in court that it was done on purpose. 

Xerukal
Posted (edited)

It makes them look bad regardless, honestly. If it's intentional, then they purposefully gimped two of their games. If it's unintentional, they end up looking incompetent by somehow making the same mistake after GTA V's issue.

Edited by Xerukal

diegocoquiii

Rockstar Games
" The next major update to the Red Dead Online Beta is currently planned to arrive later this Spring, with a host of feature upgrades and new content.

Details on what’s to come here: http://rsg.ms/cf0e236 "

"the next four weeks will bring new Showdown Modes and Racing Modes,"

Bad nows...it won't be April too

MostWantedMVP

"Later this Spring"

Last day of Spring is 21st June. I expect them to do the norm an wait til last minute to release it.

Will the PC version announcement be likely between now and then?

There is seriously no telling at this point.

Jason

Mhm... Getting the impression we won't see the PC version till the beta is over.

Xerukal

They could also use the PC version as the marking point for the end of RDRO's beta period. Would work in their favor when it comes to marketing it as the most "complete" and "definitive" version of the game. 

I still speculate a Fall 2019 release. I don't believe the announcement is in any way limited by the stage RDRO is in, but the actual PC version's release date most likely is. 

DrDetroit
1 hour ago, Jimbatron said:

I suspect R* could be in substantial legal trouble if they deliberately made an existing product worse that people had already bought in order to make a new one look more appealing.

Taken to court? Whaaaat? 

You do not own the game, you are licensed to use it.  There is no implied or expressed guarantee.

R* can do anything they want to their IP.

MostWantedMVP

Fall, even though we'd all prefer a Summer release I think that would be fair enough as long as it's this year. I'll be happy with a September - October release date.

So many good PC games coming later this year, Cyberpunk, Outer Worlds. But RDR2 is #1 ofcourse.

Gives me time to upgrade the PC ready for some rootin' tootin' shootin'.

Jimbatron
2 hours ago, DrDetroit said:

Taken to court? Whaaaat? 

You do not own the game, you are licensed to use it.  There is no implied or expressed guarantee.

R* can do anything they want to their IP.

I’m not a legal expert but I strongly suspect you could form a case if someone sells you any product or lisence to use it and deliberately downgrades it. Even if there isn’t a provision in current law this is the sort of thing you could get a landmark ruling on.

Theres a huge difference between selling something without gaurantee and it accidentally breaks, versus the suppliers breaking it on purpose. Governments tend to look rather dimly on the latter type of behaviour where firms do stuff to shaft consumers for their own benefit.

Fetooh
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jason said:

Mhm... Getting the impression we won't see the PC version till the beta is over.

I am not with argument that says Red Dead online should be out of beta to release/announce RDR2 for PC.

Edited by Fetooh

DrDetroit
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jimbatron said:

I’m not a legal expert but I strongly suspect you could form a case if someone sells you any product or lisence to use it and deliberately downgrades it. Even if there isn’t a provision in current law this is the sort of thing you could get a landmark ruling on.

Theres a huge difference between selling something without gaurantee and it accidentally breaks, versus the suppliers breaking it on purpose. Governments tend to look rather dimly on the latter type of behaviour where firms do stuff to shaft consumers for their own benefit.

It's proprietary though. They can actually downgrade it if they want to or need to. There is absolutly no legal recourse and you'd never find an attny worth his salt to even try.

Remember, right or wrong, R* has a platoon of highly paid attornies whom are there solely to cover R* butt.  All much smarter than us in these matters.

Now give me my damn PC version already R*!!! 

EDIT: ...or we are sending Jimbatron over there with a writ!! He is either gonna chew gum or kick ass...and Jimbatron is fresh outta gum!

Edited by DrDetroit

Jimbatron
1 minute ago, DrDetroit said:

It's proprietary though. They can actually downgrade it if they want to or need to. There is absolutly no legal recourse and you'd never find an attny worth his salt to even try.

Remember, right or wrong, R* has a platoon of highly paid attornies whom are there solely to cover R* butt.  All much smarter than us in these matters.

Now give me my damn PC version already R*!!! 

Don’t get me wrong, it’s unlikely they’d actually get done. But business risk assessment looks at how severe the consequences are in the worst case scenario.

Effectively if they deliberately make something worse to sell something new they are conning their customs. Governments could quite easily fine them for mal practice. And never mind the PR backlash from fans.

And for what? A PC version will sell regardless and a top spec machine will always beat consoles. Downgrading consoles to make a PC version look even better doesn’t make an logical sense.

Im sure a PC version is coming soon regardless but I’d say messing with the graphics is far more likely to be them trying to fix RDRO which by all accounts is an omnishambles.

MostWantedMVP
Posted (edited)

Just because Red Dead online is still in BETA dosen't mean we might not get a PC announcement.

Edited by MostWantedMVP

Jason

So, rumour circulating right now that was started by what looks like a tweet that went out too early that says that The Outer World's PC version will exclusively launch on the Epic Store. This being relevant because The Outer World's is published by Private Division, which is one of Take-Two's publishing labels.

yikes

TheSiphon

If RDR 2 comes to PC, it better not be an Epic Store exclusive. Epic store is one piece of software that I am not willing to install on my PC for various reasons. 

Also, shame if Outer Worlds is an Epic Store exclusive as well...

Though to be fair, Take-Two did say this: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-06-take-two-ceo-on-epic-store-competition-is-a-good-thing

But generally speaking, when it comes to broad-based entertainment offerings, you are better placed to be where the consumer is, rather than indicating to the consumer where they need to be

So at least back then they were against exclusivity. 

Jason

Money talks, I guess. That said, assuming TOW thing is true, TOW is being made by a Obsidian which aren't owned by Take-Two, so it's not entirely the same situation. But this sorta thing is usually decided by the publisher, so, who knows. I imagine Take-Two wouldn't do it without Obsidian's okay like the Metro Exodus publisher did but who knows.

Boggles my mind that publishers are still agreeing to this given the backlash the store's had on PC and how being exclusive to it is hurting sales. Epic must be throwing mad cash at them.

fdiuhywsu

Would be yet another game that had a steam page for months suddenly becoming Epic exclusive, hope the rumor isn't true, but if it is I'll just wait a year for the temporary exclusive to end.

As for RDR2, I don't think it will be Epic store only (the amount of fortnite money Epic would have to throw at them for an exclusive deal would be huge), but it's also clear that their idea of competition is buying as many exclusives as possible to force users to use their abysmal store, so you never know.

MostWantedMVP
Posted (edited)

Edited by MostWantedMVP

monk70

I hope Epic Games will bring RDR2 on PC as soon as possible.

Jason

Obsidian were updating the achievements for The Outer World on Steam just a few hours ago, indicating that they quite possibly had no idea this was happening. In an interview with GameInformer in January I'm pretty sure they also explicitly mentioned that it won't be an EGS exclusive. It's pure speculation right now, but it's very possible that Private Division (Take-Two) did this without Obsidian really knowing anything about it, just like the Metro Exodus situation.

On the bright side TOW is also launching on the Windows Store, but that's more likely to do with the fact that Microsoft now owns Obsidian than Take-Two/Epic wanting to sell the game on there too.

With Borderlands 3 rumoured to be an EGS exclusive as well I can't help but feel like PC gaming is going to be dragged back into the dirt again. Especially for UK PC gamers, we're gonna get f*cked by prices.

MostWantedMVP
Posted (edited)

They also have CONTROL by Remedy. At least we have Cyberpunk and hopefully RDR2 coming to Steam this year.

Edited by MostWantedMVP

Jimbatron
Posted (edited)

I’d be frankly amazed if RDR2 isn’t both available on physical and digital from the R* store.

Its not impossible EGS might bung them some cash to keep it off Steam but I can’t see them getting sole exclusive. Moreover with a title as big as RDR2 I think Take2 will want it on as many platforms as possible.

Edited by Jimbatron

MostWantedMVP

27 discs for the PC version.

Ash_735

DETROIT: Become Human, BEYOND: Two Souls and Heavy Rain are now coming out on PC this year (EPIC Store Exclusive though for now), so that's THREE more games funded by Sony that's coming out on PC.

RedIndianRobin

DETROIT: Become Human, BEYOND: Two Souls and Heavy Rain are now coming out on PC this year (EPIC Store Exclusive though for now), so that's THREE more games funded by Sony that's coming out on PC.

Wait for real? Sony bringing games to PC? Is this real life? Do you think we will see other titles like God of War or Uncharted series on PC? 

I hope Epic Games will bring RDR2 on PC as soon as possible.

You seriously think people will buy RDR 2 from EGS day one and there will be no backlash from this? 

MostWantedMVP

You seriously think people will buy RDR 2 from EGS day one and there will be no backlash from this? 

No matter what the store as long as the game is on PC I'm happy. I think we can all agree on that?

Xerukal

I severely doubt it'd be exclusive to EGS. They'll want to sell it on the Warehouse for sure. I know quite a few people that opted for the R* Warehouse version of GTA V over the Steam one, as well.

It's always good to give people options, which is why this farce with the Epic Store is so annoying. I'm just glad Microsoft was able to keep the MCC and Halo Reach on Steam & the Windows Store. That's honestly way more important to me than some David Cage games.

Ash_735

Wait for real? Sony bringing games to PC? Is this real life? Do you think we will see other titles like God of War or Uncharted series on PC? 

Those are first party games, so most likely not, it's second party games that often make the jump now (games by a third party studio/independent that are fully funded/published by Sony/PlayStation) but that means games like Spiderman and Death Stranding have a chance of coming to PC a year later (especially if Epic wants to throw more billions around). 

Which leads me onto a new theory, a lot of the recent Sony/PlayStation titles are Epic Store exclusive for now, I'm wondering if Epic have cut a deal to provide cheaper support for the next console generation in a trade off for these games to bolster their attempt of a pc market takeover, of course the billions paid also helps. :p

MostWantedMVP

I wonder how the interaction system will work on PC?

R = Rob/Surrender

E = Greet/Defuse

F = Antagonize

I made a concept:

CAcM0HW.jpg

jedijosh920
2 minutes ago, MostWantedMVP said:

I wonder how the interaction system will work on PC?

R = Rob/Surrender

E = Greet/Defuse

F = Antagonize

Nice concept, for me I think it will be Y = Positive (Greet/Defuse), N = Negative (Antagonize) kinda like GTA SA. Then E/F keys would be contextual such as rob, surrender, or an action like Bully.

Also something interesting, these are some of the RDR2 interaction inputs which will be used on PC as well:

INPUT_INTERACT_LOCKON,
    INPUT_INTERACT_LOCKON_NEG,
    INPUT_INTERACT_LOCKON_POS,
    INPUT_INTERACT_LOCKON_ROB,
    INPUT_INTERACT_NEG,
    INPUT_INTERACT_POS,
    INPUT_INTERACT_OPTION1,
    INPUT_INTERACT_OPTION2,
    INPUT_INTERACT_ANIMAL,
    INPUT_INTERACT_LOCKON_ANIMAL,
    INPUT_INTERACT_LEAD_ANIMAL,
    INPUT_INTERACT_LOCKON_DETACH_HORSE,