4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

AxA

RDR2 PC Discussion

TheSiphon
5 hours ago, Pentraksil said:

I see a lot of people that consider that PC setting video fake. I am not saying it is legit or anything, but kinda curious why did we label it as a definite fake, what part gave it away? Wasn't following.

There is a chance it's a fake. But at the same time, it's a pretty well made fake, just like the fake GTA V PC menu.

Who knows, maybe it's done by the same people, they do seem kinda similar. 

Pentraksil
5 hours ago, TheSiphon said:

There is a chance it's a fake. But at the same time, it's a pretty well made fake, just like the fake GTA V PC menu.

Who knows, maybe it's done by the same people, they do seem kinda similar. 

I do agree, I would also say there is a chance that it is a fake...But never seen anything that would really prove it is a definite fake as people are saying here. I could be wrong of course, that is why I am asking, maybe I missed some aspect of it that would give it away.

TheSiphon
17 minutes ago, Pentraksil said:

I do agree, I would also say there is a chance that it is a fake...But never seen anything that would really prove it is a definite fake as people are saying here. I could be wrong of course, that is why I am asking, maybe I missed some aspect of it that would give it away.

It does look real, though there are a couple of things I noticed about the leak:

(+ = why I think it might be real, - = why it might not be real, +/- = Uncertain)

+/- There is no "Cheats" button in the settings menu. In GTA V, you wrote the cheats by pressing the tilde key. I marked this as +/-, since in the PC version you might access the cheats menu by pressing the tilde key. If it's a fake video, then the creator might have forgotten to include this button.

+/- The mouse movement does look real. It isn't floaty or out of sync. Though it is kinda hard to see it in detail since the camera makes it blurry. One issue is this: https://imgur.com/WpnBPXZ, either it's a mistake from the creator or the "hitbox" reaches all the way down. It does work in some games like that, so a can't really decide which one it is.

+/- There is no 10-second confirmation window when he changes the resolution. Majority of games have this feature, though there are some games do not. Again, could be an oversight from the creator or a feature.

+/- The original video was deleted. There are rumors that Rockstar/TakeTwo took the video down. There are also rumors that the original uploader deleted the video to make it look it was taken down. Does Rockstar/TakeTwo tend to take videos down? Since it's impossible to tell if it's them or the creator.

+ It seems to be on a monitor. Makes sense, right. I edited the levels a bit, and to me, it does look like a monitor: https://i.imgur.com/yKt7Cez.png (Though if it's on a monitor, it's very easy to just play a fake video and make it look like in-game footage)

+ The resolution switch seems realistic. There are those couple seconds of black screen when he changes the resolution

- The "Apply Changes" button is visible before any changes were made

- No mouse clicks. You can hear other shuffles, but not any mouse clicks. Someone suggested it was on a laptop, but like the screenshot shows, it's on a monitor and not a laptop. 

- The graphics are under the "Display" section. In GTA V and in most games in general, graphics options are not under "Display". Normally display is for HUD settings etc. In GTA V the tabs were: Display, Graphics, and Advanced Graphics: https://media.rockstargames.com/rockstargames/img/global/news/upload/actual_1429368404.jpg

rollschuh2282
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, TheSiphon said:

- The graphics are under the "Display" section. In GTA V and in most games in general, graphics options are not under "Display". Normally display is for HUD settings etc. In GTA V the tabs were: Display, Graphics, and Advanced

i´m not sure about this.

i mean the settings menu doesn´t seem to allow much more options, so i think this time it´s possible that they really put the graphics settings into the "display options".

which would imo also explain why the cheats menu is triggered with a normal button instead of a normal menu option.

(unless they decide to cramp this option in)

Edited by rollschuh2282

fdiuhywsu

Regarding this:

23 minutes ago, TheSiphon said:

+/- The original video was deleted. There are rumors that Rockstar/TakeTwo took the video down. There are also rumors that the original uploader deleted the video to make it look it was taken down. Does Rockstar/TakeTwo tend to take videos down? Since it's impossible to tell if it's them or the creator.

It isn't visible anymore but originally it said the video was deleted by the uploader, also the same video has shortly after been reuploaded on youtube by someone else and it's still up, Rockstar/TakeTwo never took it down. This imo is indication that the leak is fake

Spider-Vice
On 3/16/2019 at 10:37 PM, Jason said:

Yes, no, maybe.

If RDR2's on there it won't be under "Red Dead Redemption 2", it'll be a codename, which is kinda like finding a needle in the haystick if we don't know the codename lol.

Shetland Pony flashbacks

Hayden_
2 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

Shetland Pony flashbacks

Does anyone know how the original codename was unveiled? Was it by Yan2295? If so, sh*t because he doesn't leak anymore.

Spider-Vice
1 minute ago, Hayden_ said:

Does anyone know how the original codename was unveiled? Was it by Yan2295? If so, sh*t because he doesn't leak anymore.

No, lol. We only knew about it when V PC was announced and thus its Steam page was made public. However there was some random guy that made a thread about the correct AppID iirc. Nothing to do with Yan.

Hayden_
1 minute ago, Spider-Vice said:

No, lol. We only knew about it when V PC was announced and thus its Steam page was made public. However there was some random guy that made a thread about the correct AppID iirc. Nothing to do with Yan.

Ah, I see. I assumed that people knew the codename before it was announced for PC. My bad.

rollschuh2282
1 minute ago, Spider-Vice said:

However there was some random guy that made a thread about the correct AppID iirc. Nothing to do with Yan.

really?

does that thread still exist?

MostWantedMVP
Posted (edited)

So someone finds the steam DB, then we know it's confirmed. Unless Rockstar just announces it.

Edited by MostWantedMVP

Xerukal
2 hours ago, TheSiphon said:

+ It seems to be on a monitor. Makes sense, right. I edited the levels a bit, and to me, it does look like a monitor: https://i.imgur.com/yKt7Cez.png (Though if it's on a monitor, it's very easy to just play a fake video and make it look like in-game footage)

It could also just be a console hooked up to a monitor. HDMI ports are pretty commonly found on them these days. 

I'd say it's absolutely fake. The fact of the matter is that anyone with access to the actual PC version of the game and a camera would take better steps to prove their legitimacy. I'm talking simple stuff, such as moving the camera around very quickly to show that it is in fact controlled by the mouse, or simply alt-tabbing to show Windows.

Whenever these "leaks" happen, it's always just a dude going straight to the pause menu after controlling the character for about 2-5 seconds (bonus points for the purposefully minimal and vague camera movement). Logically speaking, someone with access to a PC build of the game would go way further out of their way to prove it is an actual PC version than just showing some menus. It doesn't make any sense, no matter how much I personally want it to.

35 minutes ago, MostWantedMVP said:

So someone finds the steam DB, then we know it's confirmed. Unless Rockstar just announces it.

Sadly, this is virtually impossible at this stage. There are countless App IDs on SteamDB and there's no telling what's what. Code names are basically a needle in a haystack, too.

MostWantedMVP

Since the 2 delays, I thought the extra 2 years were actually for the console enhancements. It might also have been for PC optimization. Hopefully the PC verison has been in development for quite some time though.

MostWantedMVP
Posted (edited)

I made a quick poll. Feel free to vote, I'd like to see some opinions.

When will RDR2 PC be announced?

https://www.poll-maker.com/poll2286784xeAFc4F73-66

Edited by MostWantedMVP

gregorius11

I'm sure you've all heard how loud the issue of graphics downgrade on consoles has become. Could this be a part of PC release marketing when Rockstar will show what an amazing improvement this version wil bring? 🤣

Hayden_
Posted (edited)

I mean, that would be pretty scummy but funny. I mean if it means a PC version is closer I'm all for it!

Edited by Hayden_

TheSiphon

Was the performance even bad? Or did it cause more crashes?
People say that the game worked just fine, so I don't see a reason to downgrade the visuals after release. Also, did they ever mention it officially in patch notes either? 

I want to doubt that they downgraded the graphics just to make a future version look better, but if they did, it's a major dick move from them.

diegocoquiii
1 hour ago, Hayden_ said:

I mean, that would be pretty scummy but funny. I mean if it means a PC version is closer I'm all for it!

I want to believe

Pentraksil
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Xerukal said:

It could also just be a console hooked up to a monitor. HDMI ports are pretty commonly found on them these days. 

I'd say it's absolutely fake. The fact of the matter is that anyone with access to the actual PC version of the game and a camera would take better steps to prove their legitimacy. I'm talking simple stuff, such as moving the camera around very quickly to show that it is in fact controlled by the mouse, or simply alt-tabbing to show Windows.

Whenever these "leaks" happen, it's always just a dude going straight to the pause menu after controlling the character for about 2-5 seconds (bonus points for the purposefully minimal and vague camera movement). Logically speaking, someone with access to a PC build of the game would go way further out of their way to prove it is an actual PC version than just showing some menus. It doesn't make any sense, no matter how much I personally want it to.

Sadly, this is virtually impossible at this stage. There are countless App IDs on SteamDB and there's no telling what's what. Code names are basically a needle in a haystack, too.

It is possible, however it could mean that he just used a silent keyboard or a mouse (I could not hear much of any audio in that clip), he did not want to show anything other than a monitor to avoid being tracked down or that someone can recognize the station he showed it at etc. Same goes with Alt -tabing. I remember one leak where there was a hidden watermark in the logo or something and they found the person responsible just based on one small logo. That footage being legit is not as impossible IMO....I would say the chances of it being fake are kinda similar to the chances that it might be legit. Pretty good fake if it is one. Who knows....But I agree, it is not as concrete proof as I would like it to be and most of these possible reasons that I mentioned do sound a bit of a strech...

3 hours ago, TheSiphon said:

Was the performance even bad? Or did it cause more crashes?
People say that the game worked just fine, so I don't see a reason to downgrade the visuals after release. Also, did they ever mention it officially in patch notes either? 

I want to doubt that they downgraded the graphics just to make a future version look better, but if they did, it's a major dick move from them.

It might be just a bug or an overlook. It seems weird that they would downgrade it like that, since I did not hear many problems with the performance of the game. It doesn't seem like the changes are something that would have an impact on FPS that much.

They could also have updated the game along the PC version and some of the LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH setting from the PC transfered over to the console versions and caused a bug with the visuals, showing some lighting aspect off instead of on......Oh God, I wish it was true :D

Edited by Pentraksil
additional text

Xerukal

Yeah, I find it pretty suspicious that this downgrade is happening on console. The game did not have any significant performance issues to warrant such a huge drop in quality. It really makes you think. Maybe they really are doing it for marketing...

Xerukal

Let's hope they do the same for RDR2, now that they've been "caught".

Hayden_
2 minutes ago, TheSiphon said:

Wait, so the GTA V 1.08 update that downgraded the graphics released on PS4 and Xbox one month before PC version, so could this be a similar situation?

Or do you think this is just a coincidence?

It's probably just a coincidence but I would love if the PC version was announced soon. I just want to play the game. Screw buying an Xbox One for £200+ just to play Red Dead Redemption 2 when I can wait and get that sweet 60 FPS.

fdiuhywsu
Posted (edited)

Imo it's just a coincidence, but it's also true that this fiscal year is about to end and the june-july release is still not out of the question, so you never know. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Edited by fdiuhywsu

tobdog
1 hour ago, TheSiphon said:

Wait, so the GTA V 1.08 update that downgraded the graphics released on PS4 and Xbox one month before PC version, so could this be a similar situation?

Or do you think this is just a coincidence?

It's been downgraded since 1.02.

Fetooh
1 hour ago, fdiuhywsu said:

Imo it's just a coincidence, but it's also true that this fiscal year is about to end and the june-july release is still not out of the question, so you never know. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Can we expect a spring announcement? April-june after the end of fiscal year(31st march)

Jimbatron

I suspect R* could be in substantial legal trouble if they deliberately made an existing product worse that people had already bought in order to make a new one look more appealing.

I agree is a suspicious coincidence and there is a theoretical motive, but if they were taken to court and lost they could be liable for the value of all those RDR 2 sales  - which is a lot. That’d be a whopping risk to take and I just can’t see the marginal benefits would outweigh it even if you leave the morality a side.

More than likely it’s a cock up. They certainly didn’t intend the last patch to knock the servers offline last night. Incompetence is generally more common than conspiracy in my experience.