3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

AxA

RDR2 PC Discussion

Choteron

Guys, how much time do you think we need to wait for a PC announcement?

I think between 6 and 8 months after console release.

Spider-Vice
On 9/26/2018 at 7:59 PM, Xerukal said:

I'm burying myself in Odyssey, For Honor's new expansion and Soul Calibur 6. Sadly, I think being spoiled in at least some ways will be inevitable. YouTube is a minefield. All it takes is one Rockstar-related video, and the recommended sidebar will go nuts.

ARTHUR MORGAN IS HISTORY!! (NO LIE) (PLAYTHROUGH) (SHOCKING)

Domac

The logic in this thread:

'It is coming to PC - hmm seems right'

'It is NOT coming to PC - SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE?'

Pocket Fox

Take Two CEO 'Our customers are under monetized'

So, why would they refuse to release the game on PC which limits the amount of money you can make, customers you can obtain and in some countries where consoles are rare, lose out on major foreign markets.

GTA V has been out for ages on PC and still often hovers around in the top best sellers section of steam.

There was also no PC announcement for GTA V when it was revealed for X1/PS4 and even claims it would not come out.

Until some bright sparks pointed out the graphics in the next gen trailer were incapable of being rendered on either a PS4/X1 and thus would come to PC.

Shortly before release on the X1/PS4 the PC version was announced and later delayed. Most gamers (including PC) bought a second copy for their X1/PS4

GTA V then releases on PC and the multi-platform gamers who aren't tribalist blockheads bought a third copy and PC only gamers bought their first.

Shark cards then reach a wider audience and go heckin crazy, printing tonnes of cash for Take Two and their shareholders.

Seeing the success of microtransactions, Take Two doubles down hardcore in their other products like NBA 2K.

Take Two likes money, a lot. They believe they should get more and their shareholders agree. They saw the success they had with GTA V, when console only players bought the game twice and multi-plat gamers bought it 2-3 times.

Why would they change this business practice when it worked for GTA V? Keep in mind, Take Two was nowhere near as money hungry back then as they are now.

Why does Fortnite, a frickin FREE to play game make so much money. Because it is on every god damn system. I'm surprised it doesn't come pre-installed on smart-fridges. More exposure to a wider audience when your game features microtransactions means more money.

I fully expect RDR 2 will come to PC 2019. First Take Two want their console sales, and then to work out what to do with RDR:Online. Once RDR:O is sorted and they have a foundation for future content delivery, or more accurately - how to better monetize customers we'll see RDR2 on PC.

But the tribalism and elitism continues on discussion boards on social media. 'No RDR2 for PC master race' etc.

Like really, this generation has been PS fans non-stop trolling, lying about PS4 1080p/60fps vs X1 720p/30fps.

Reality. X1/PS4 1080p/30fps for most games, other games PS4 1080p/30fps  X1 900p/30fps

Then the PC master race began, somewhat as a joke, but the fact PC outperforms PS4 really upsets fanboys so the whole 'No GTA V on PC' thing was thrown around for a while.

Now the X1X outperforms even the PS4 Pro so PS is no longer even the strongest console, so tribalism continues - apparently all about exclusives now - like all consoles except for Nintendo are incredibly light on for exclusives.

So where are we at? 'No RDR2 for PC'

I think you'll find someone who has money to spend on a $3,000 - $4,000 gaming PC would also own at least one console, since they are literally 10% the cost of a gaming PC.

But the whole master race thing is childish and immature as are the console comparisons. What do these kids do at a restaurant, order a steak and then stand up and shout 'my steak is superior to your chicken and fish dishes, it has more protein and comes with exclusive mash potatoes'

fdiuhywsu
4 hours ago, Domac said:

The logic in this thread:

'It is coming to PC - hmm seems right'

'It is NOT coming to PC - SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE?'

It's not that weird considering that everything we know as of now makes it basically obvious that RDR2 is going to be released on PC.

Edited by fdiuhywsu

Domac
32 minutes ago, fdiuhywsu said:

It's not that weird considering that everything we know as of now makes it basically obvious that RDR2 is going to be released on PC.

Source?

Xerukal
3 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

There was also no PC announcement for GTA V when it was revealed for X1/PS4 and even claims it would not come out.

Not true. It was revealed by Sony at their conference during E3 2014, which is why that particular teaser said "Coming to PS4". Rockstar then uploaded a multi-platform version of that trailer, saying all three versions would be out in the Fall of 2014. PC obviously got delayed a couple more times because... tradition. 😛

Edited by Xerukal

fish21
1 hour ago, Domac said:

Source?

How about one of Rockstar's developers temporarily posting a PC version of the game on his Linkdin page? Or don't you think that's suggestive at all captain Obvious?

Do you see any scenario why Rockstar would intentionally tease their fans with a game version that is never going to come out, aside from a typo which seems really unrealistic?

No one is saying the game is definitly comming on PC but it's obviously much more likely that there will be a pc version than not. If you don't see that then maybe read up a little bit, think about the history of GTA V and try to get into the mindset of a game developer who stands to make a HUGE additional profit when they tap into a secondary pool of new buyers.

fdiuhywsu
2 hours ago, Domac said:

Source?

• The current RAGE version is also optimized for the PC.
  • Every Rockstar game after RDR1 has been released on PC.
  • GTA V on PC sold really really well.
  • A Rockstar employee's linkedin page temporarily said: Red Dead Redemption 2 Ps4/Xone/PC
  • The 4chan leaker that works at Rockstar Games (the legit one) literally said that RDR2 would be released on PC " later, just like GTA5 ".

I think that's enough to believe RDR2 might be coming to PC afterall.

Domac

Release on PC = cheaters, crackef gamed, mods (which R* Games obviously don't like) = loss of cash.

Red Dead Series have always been a console exclusive.

BTW the RAGE engine was rebuilt for consoles, so they'd have to rebuild it again to release it for PCs.

I kind of feel bad for the fact ya'all got 10,000$ PCs and no 300$ console.

fdiuhywsu
19 minutes ago, Domac said:

Release on PC = cheaters, crackef gamed, mods (which R* Games obviously don't like) = loss of cash.

Yeah, with GTA V they sold 13 million copies ONLY on steam (so not counting ALL physical copies and ALL digital copies bought outside of steam), I'm sure they lost a lot of money lol

Red Dead Series have always been a console exclusive.

If you mean the series has some kind of exclusive agreement with Sony or Microsoft it's absolutely not true, if you mean that as of now the series has never been released on PC it's completely irrelevant.

BTW the RAGE engine was rebuilt for consoles, so they'd have to rebuild it again to release it for PCs.

Not true.

I kind of feel bad for the fact ya'all got 10,000$ PCs and no 300$ console.

Yes all PC gamers totally have 10,000$ PCs.

Edited by fdiuhywsu

Outlaw from the West

<laughs in console>

ok but srsly if they don’t release it for pc that’s sad but idk why yall wanna wait another 1-2 years dodging spoilers when you can just pick up a used ps4/xbox for like $150 and play rdr2

Xerukal

If you want more insight into how Rockstar views and develops PC games, check out the previews they had for GTA V PC back in 2015. They were pretty informative, so it amazes me how some people still stick with the story that "the engine is built for consoles!!!11" when the PC, PS4 and XB1 are the closest they've ever been to one another in terms of architecture.

Here is an interesting highlight from the GameSpot article.

nhjBN3L.png

Edited by Xerukal

Domac
38 minutes ago, fdiuhywsu said:

Yeah, with GTA V they sold 13 million copies ONLY on steam (so not counting ALL physical copies and ALL digital copies bought outside of steam), I'm sure they lost a lot of money lol

If you mean the series has some kind of exclusive agreement with Sony or Microsoft it's absolutely not true, if you mean that as of now the series has never been released on PC it's completely irrelevant.

Not true.

Yes all PC gamers totally have 10,000$ PCs.

Be sarcastic, at least I'll get to play it.

fdiuhywsu
7 minutes ago, Domac said:

Be sarcastic, at least I'll get to play it.

Seems like someone has already no more arguments.

Domac

I've given you enough arguments but it seems that PC gamers have lost their mind in all the bliss... all the PC exclusives that weren't on consoles... and tbh I don't even care if it gets released on PC or not, I have a PS4 Pro and a PC that should be powerful enough to run it.

fdiuhywsu
1 minute ago, Domac said:

I've given you enough arguments but it seems that PC gamers have lost their mind in all the bliss...

Yes, and I disproved every single one of them.

Xerukal
48 minutes ago, Domac said:

and tbh I don't even care if it gets released on PC or not

...Then I'm not sure what you're doing in this thread? Most people are here discussing the PC version because they have no other alternative. I sure as sh*t wouldn't be going "aw guys it sucks not being able to play it, oh well back to my PS4 Pro™" if I had any other means of playing the game at launch.

That's not to say there's no multi-platform players interested in the PC version, but they're usually more... civil. 😛

Edited by Xerukal

jimmycakes

For the love of all God we need PC!

berzelmayr

One of the weakest arguments must be "it has always been a console exclusive series" - yeah with just two games and the first one is so old and also quite disconnected to the next one that it hardly counts anyway.

Quenai
1 hour ago, Domac said:

I've given you enough arguments but it seems that PC gamers have lost their mind in all the bliss... all the PC exclusives that weren't on consoles... and tbh I don't even care if it gets released on PC or not, I have a PS4 Pro and a PC that should be powerful enough to run it.

So why you are here man?You don't have to act like a douchebag 

Choteron

It so sad, inmature and selfish that some people do not want a PC version. We all deserve to play that work of art no matter what plattform we have.

Also, the piracy reason make no sense. GTA V sold between 10 and 20 millons of units only on Steam. That means 300-600 millons of dollars (an average of 30 dollars per game) and that dont include microtransactions.

This people think Take Two will resign that amount of money, knowing how greedy they are? It clear that they want to double dip.

Edited by Choteron

RedDagger
4 hours ago, Domac said:

How does selling a game lose you cash? People pirating and modding it doesn't drain anything from Rockstar's coffers. 

As for the "RAGE engine being built for consoles", it's fairly clear for the jump from GTA IV to GTA V that the newer iterations of RAGE make it far easier to get a good PC version going. 

Slappy212
13 hours ago, winter.ak said:

<laughs in console>

ok but srsly if they don’t release it for pc that’s sad but idk why yall wanna wait another 1-2 years dodging spoilers when you can just pick up a used ps4/xbox for like $150 and play rdr2

Because it's a deluxe experience when PC ports are done well. Games like GTA5, Witcher 3, Skyrim, Doom 2016, these are just way better on PC. I want the best version of cross platform games when I can get them. And I like to mod the occasional game.

Pocket Fox
16 hours ago, Quenai said:

So why you are here man?You don't have to act like a douchebag 

It's almost like he's saying he owns a Ferrari, but drives a Honda Civic in race day events.

Sony is a decent company and the Playstation 4 is a nice console, but many Sony fanboys are a pain in the rear. They have been bashing Microsoft and Nintendo for not having the most powerful system - ironically I recall as a PS1 owner having N64 fans scream at me how their system was better as it was 64bit vs my little PS1 was 32bit. When the PC Master race joke began it was a real point of contention, suddenly it was clear they didn't have the most powerful system and never did. Now with the X1X, they don't have the most powerful console and most games are multiplat, there are very few exclusives - which is great for gamers and consumers.

Unless you are a shareholder in Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony - as a gamer you should be happy to see more games on more systems and more healthy competition.

What PC gamer plays mostly on console and then actually argues for games NOT to come to PC? Probably someone who is a console gamer and doesn't own a gaming PC. Which there is nothing wrong with!

The desire people have to be superior and better than others because they play games on a specific system, like, why? Are you 10 years old defending your purchase? Honestly, this is one of the few console generations where it really does not matter what system you own. The experience is largely the same on PS4/X1 and the exclusives are very limited in comparison to previous console generations. How are console wars even relevant now?

It'd make more sense to argue about how your TV is better than someone else's TV as there's more disparity there, than in the actual flippin consoles.

TheSantader25

^Unfortunately many people still don't understand why exclusives can be good for the industry. Well, they obviously are a direct way for both by Sony and Microsoft to sell more consoles. That's how they see it. But people don't understand the indirect positive effect it has on the exclusive game itself. Games are getting more and more complex and expensive to create. It's always nice to have a powerful company that backs up your projects and manages them(telltale could really survive if they had a powerful company suppling and managing them)  And when they actually want these exclusives to be system sellers, that means the games actually have to be good. I'm not a Sony nor Microsoft fanboy. I have both systems but I gotta admit I'm not sure What could I do in this sh*tty microtransactions bullsh*t generation if it wasn't for Sony exclusives. They basically saved this generation full of crap games for me. Yes it sucks that only a certain people can play these games but this has a positive point as well. It means the games "have" to be good and Sony(and Microsoft)  really want that to happen so they'll make sure the exclusives have good quality so they'll back them up(budget and support) as much as they can. Otherwise their biggest point for selling their consoles would be pointless.

Another positive point about this is creating "devs". I doubt devs like Naughty Dog could ever reach the level they have had it not been for Sony. They basically "added" professional devs to the industry and helped them grow. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Xerukal

Those developers still reach only a fraction of the players they potentially could, and while it's great that they make all these amazing games with all the time, money and understanding they're given, this could pretty much be achieved by any big publisher if they simply had the balls to take risks on these developers. Instead we have companies like EA, given full rights to gargantuan licenses like Star Wars... and doing absolutely nothing of any worth with them. Pissing it all down the toilet, year by year.

Sony just walks up to all the talent and throws money at 'em. Can't fault them for that. But it's hard not to be frustrated with how passive their competition is. They've dominated this year, which is good for their players and only their players. There is no equalizer. Microsoft hasn't been doing anything to catch up, whether it be on Xbox or PC. Pretty much all we've gotten so far is, what, Sea of Thieves? Sad.

Edited by Xerukal

TheSantader25
1 hour ago, Xerukal said:

Those developers still reach only a fraction of the players they potentially could, and while it's great that they make all these amazing games with all the time, money and understanding they're given, this could pretty much be achieved by any big publisher if they simply had the balls to take risks on these developers. Instead we have companies like EA, given full rights to gargantuan licenses like Star Wars... and doing absolutely nothing of any worth with them. Pissing it all down the toilet, year by year.

Sony just walks up to all the talent and throws money at 'em. Can't fault them for that. But it's hard not to be frustrated with how passive their competition is. They've dominated this year, which is good for their players and only their players. There is no equalizer. Microsoft hasn't been doing anything to catch up, whether it be on Xbox or PC. Pretty much all we've gotten so far is, what, Sea of Thieves? Sad.

Yep I was about to say the competition  between Sony and Microsoft could make these games even better but Microsoft really hasn't done much. And as a result we've seen Sony become more confident and arrogant. 

Mr Fyn666

To play devils advocate...

PlayStation released 7 years before Xbox at a crucial time in thegame industry..

Considering Xbox are currently doing 50% of PS lifetime sales, I'd say they aren't doing a bad job so far.....

Ash_735

Holy sh*t we got some real 2008 posts up in here, "RAGE was built for consoles", sh*t, the initial iterations were Xbox 360 but the version from Max Payne 3 onwards has been amazing on PC hardware (as well as doing very well squeezing the best out of consoles). 

May I remind you that GTAV runs better on PC than GTA IV, and that GTAV on PS3 runs at a higher resolution than GTA IV. 

Red Dead Redemption was the turning point since that version of RAGE was pretty much put together with sticky tape and just about barely ran on consoles, that's why they took a year out (L. A. Noire does not use RAGE).