1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

AxA

RDR2 PC Discussion

Johnny998
42 minutes ago, Xerukal said:

...Why?

Yakuza was never on PC before 0 last year, Soul Calibur was never on PC before VI last year, Metal Gear hadn't been seen on PC in ages until Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain rolled around. There are so many franchises, some much older than RDR, that made their way to PC eventually and found success. Because the audience was always there and willing to play these games. It made no difference if a given franchise was "traditionally" console-only. This goes both ways, with long-running PC franchises making their way to console as well.

RDR2 will be on PC because there is a demand for it. There is an audience there, has been for a long time now. GTA V did really well on PC. RDR2 might do even better because of how much thirst has been built up over the last 9 years, with basically 0 good open world westerns hitting the PC platform. 

Releasing it on PC makes literally all of the sense. 

I don't even want it on PC without Mexico lol.

Xerukal

Mexico's great, but it's not that important. Could probably just mod it in if Rockstar doesn't introduce it themselves. 

Johnny998
12 minutes ago, Xerukal said:

Mexico's great, but it's not that important. Could probably just mod it in if Rockstar doesn't introduce it themselves. 

It might not be important to you, but to me it is.

diegocoquiii

Rock$star has lost a customer. I'm not going to buy it now, the hype is over after important spoilers and 4 month waiting. My money is waiting cyberpunk

harismaran500
5 hours ago, Xerukal said:

...Why?

Yakuza was never on PC before 0 last year, Soul Calibur was never on PC before VI last year, Metal Gear hadn't been seen on PC in ages until Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain rolled around. There are so many franchises, some much older than RDR, that made their way to PC eventually and found success. Because the audience was always there and willing to play these games. It made no difference if a given franchise was "traditionally" console-only. This goes both ways, with long-running PC franchises making their way to console as well.

RDR2 will be on PC because there is a demand for it. There is an audience there, has been for a long time now. GTA V did really well on PC. RDR2 might do even better because of how much thirst has been built up over the last 9 years, with basically 0 good open world westerns hitting the PC platform. 

Yeah, I think that was done because Ps4, Xone and PC share the same architecture, which gives way to Red Dead Redemption 2 being released on PC.

gregorius11
7 hours ago, Xerukal said:

I also think Red Dead Redemption 2 is a prequel for a reason.

Spider-Vice

Leaks and other knowledge aside, to me it's proof enough this game is already on PC for ages when Vulkan is credited in the game's credits (and ADPCM but Xbox might use that). None of the consoles use this graphics API.

harismaran500
1 hour ago, Spider-Vice said:

Leaks and other knowledge aside, to me it's proof enough this game is already on PC for ages when Vulkan is credited in the game's credits (and ADPCM but Xbox might use that). None of the consoles use this graphics API.

I have a question: Was Gta V PC a console port or developed in parallel with Xbox 360 and Ps3 versions?

Spider-Vice

Developed in parallel.

https://www.pcgamer.com/rockstar-talk-4k-pc-performance-and-more/

"While we started development of the PC version quite early, we decided to focus the bulk of our attention on the PS3 and XB360 versions first in order to push that as far as we possibly could before turning our attention to the PS4 and Xbox One versions, and then using the shared architecture underpinning the new consoles to help ourselves ramp up into the PC version and push the game as far as we possibly could knowing we would have the opportunity to make the game look and feel better than it ever has."

"Our process of bringing titles to PC has evolved over the years. We knew that we would eventually create a PC version so early development was done in parallel with the console versions. In fact, some of the early preparations we made for PC, like 64 bit & DX11 support, paid off very handsomely when the PS4 and Xbox One architectures were announced. That early work made the process of transitioning to the new consoles a lot easier and allowed us to hit the ground running. The artists also prepared for PC by authoring their source art at PC-ready resolutions, even though we had to use massively reduced versions for the PS3 and XB360."

That quote from R* North and Toronto plus the leaked build logs in 2013 basically reveal that the PC version was likely just delayed because they reused it to develop the Xbox One and PS4 versions and then further enhance the PC version. The build log had mentions about PC since 2012.

Edited by Spider-Vice

harismaran500
Just now, Spider-Vice said:

Developed in parallel.

Then out of all leaks that had happened for Red Dead Redemption 2 PC, can you tell if this is also developed in parallel?

Spider-Vice
Just now, harismaran500 said:

Then out of all leaks that had happened for Red Dead Redemption 2 PC, can you tell if this is also developed in parallel?

Oh yeah, absolutely. It wouldn't make sense any other way, especially when R* themselves admit developing for PC is a lot more trivial now with the Xbox One and PS4 architectures being very similar. (See my edited post above)

harismaran500
Just now, Spider-Vice said:

Oh yeah, absolutely. It wouldn't make sense any other way, especially when R* themselves admit developing for PC is a lot more trivial now with the Xbox One and PS4 architectures being very similar. (See my edited post above)

Thanks a lot for sharing!

alz

All this PC talk reminded me of the GTA5 mod that was shut down.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-21-fans-are-modding-red-dead-redemption-into-gta5

Playing around in off-limits Mexico last night reminded me how big Mexico was.  It has a lot of unused space spent mostly riding horse to for minutes at a time.  Rockstar found a better timing in tighter spacing of locations with their new regions and horses overall feel slower in the sequel compared.  I wonder how the experience of Mexico will complement the eastern regions when or if Rockstar adds it.

BTW, I love the atmospheric openness of the desert sections.

Jason

I tell ya, after playing a few recent big PC games that have day 1 PC releases, if Rockstar need an extra few months to develop a proper PC UI and control scheme then I aint gonna complain too much. A studio of their size should be able to juggle both console and PC UI and control development at the same time, just like EA and Ubisoft, but f*ck it's really annoying to have to fumble your way through the menus using a combination of your mouse and keyboard.

HelloMyNameIsHuman
13 hours ago, Xerukal said:

...Why?

Triggered. Literally the next sentence said that it wouldn't be the first time it has happened lol.

diegocoquiii
4 hours ago, Spider-Vice said:

Developed in parallel.

https://www.pcgamer.com/rockstar-talk-4k-pc-performance-and-more/

That quote from R* North and Toronto plus the leaked build logs in 2013 basically reveal that the PC version was likely just delayed because they reused it to develop the Xbox One and PS4 versions and then further enhance the PC version. The build log had mentions about PC since 2012.

they are saying that they could get the PC version with the console version. I really can not understand why they did not ...

ScrappyBauer
1 hour ago, diegocoquiii said:

they are saying that they could get the PC version with the console version. I really can not understand why they did not ...

Double dipping.

Xerukal
11 hours ago, JuliusCaesar said:

Triggered. Literally the next sentence said that it wouldn't be the first time it has happened lol.

Obviously. That's why I went on to list all of the instances in which it absolutely made sense for some of those games to come to PC. If RDR2 doesn't come to PC, it won't be because it didn't make any "sense".  🙄

Edited by Xerukal

Pentraksil
30 minutes ago, Xerukal said:

Obviously. That's why I went on to list all of the instances in which it absolutely made sense for some of those games to come to PC. If RDR2 doesn't come to PC, it won't be because it didn't make any "sense".  🙄

Not to mention that a lot of those games are also niche and they still managed to find players on the PC. RDR2 is no brainer....RDR not being on the PC is of no relevance at all

RedIndianRobin
On 2/8/2019 at 2:25 AM, Jason said:

I tell ya, after playing a few recent big PC games that have day 1 PC releases, if Rockstar need an extra few months to develop a proper PC UI and control scheme then I aint gonna complain too much. A studio of their size should be able to juggle both console and PC UI and control development at the same time, just like EA and Ubisoft, but f*ck it's really annoying to have to fumble your way through the menus using a combination of your mouse and keyboard.

Literally Rockstar are the only ones that doesn't do PC release on day one TBH. Every publisher started releasing games on PC on day 1 simultaneously with consistent support and updates. It's really sad they still treat us as bunch of street dogs begging for food. :( 

gtamatics
20 hours ago, RedIndianRobin said:

Literally Rockstar are the only ones that doesn't do PC release on day one TBH. Every publisher started releasing games on PC on day 1 simultaneously with consistent support and updates. It's really sad they still treat us as bunch of street dogs begging for food. :( 

Sad is that the street dogs buy the game when it comes to 100 years on the PC. I do not buy it anymore. Rockstar can lick my ***. I know the story from RDR2 from the beginning to the final. I would buy the game for 10 euros. That's the maximum. I am disappointed with Rockstar :(

Hayden_

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Dead-Redemption-2-PS4/dp/B01MAYC1CJ

Price has dropped to £35.99. Do you think this could mean anything? Interesting to see the price drop quite soon.

Yoona
53 minutes ago, Hayden_ said:

Price has dropped to £35.99. Do you think this could mean anything? Interesting to see the price drop quite soon.

It's selling faster than RDR 1 but IP is smaller than GTA, so they want to lure in more costumers.

kabbee

Did not Rockstar expect a big revenue in April? Could that mean a pc release or is it going to be something for RDO?

Jason
1 hour ago, Hayden_ said:

Not really, as far as price drops go it isn't even anything crazy, just a 10-20% price drop which is actually not much. It's not unusual for games released around October the previous year go on sale for half price around about now, which RDR2 hasn't yet.

Yoona
2 hours ago, Jason said:

Not really, as far as price drops go it isn't even anything crazy, just a 10-20% price drop which is actually not much. It's not unusual for games released around October the previous year go on sale for half price around about now, which RDR2 hasn't yet.

GTA V kept full price tag for much longer though.

Jason
2 minutes ago, Yoona said:

GTA V kept full price tag for much longer though.

Aint wrong on that but RDR2's price is holding better than average from what I can see.

Hayden_

We can only hope that Rockstar will release the game this year. I'd happily pre order it at full price. I just really want to buy the game.

Uncle Sikee Atric
12 hours ago, Hayden_ said:

We can only hope that Rockstar will release the game this year. I'd happily pre order it at full price. I just really want to buy the game.

We know there's SP DLC and Mexico on the map.....

I'm thinking that R* will allow the console price to drop a little, then release the SP DLC and drop RDRO out of Beta.  Once that's done, they'll release a PC version as 'RDR2 : Definitive Edition,' and bundle everything together for PC all at once.  They could justify charging full price for it as a result.

Jimbatron
24 minutes ago, Uncle Sikee Atric said:

We know there's SP DLC and Mexico on the map.....

I'm thinking that R* will allow the console price to drop a little, then release the SP DLC and drop RDRO out of Beta.  Once that's done, they'll release a PC version as 'RDR2 : Definitive Edition,' and bundle everything together for PC all at once.  They could justify charging full price for it as a result.

Sounds great. Sorry I’ve been under a rock, what’s the sources/evidence re sp dlc? Happy to hear it’s on the roadmap just keento know as much as possible.