2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

AxA

RDR2 PC Discussion

Ash_735

Ray Tracing is AMAZING but yeah, pushed a little too soon for gaming still, the way people are bitching about it though is insane, people crying about having to lower their resolution if they want Ray Tracing at high frame rates is embarrassing, all big jumps have to start somewhere but this is the first time I'm seeing it with PC Gaming where most people are complaining about it because they don't want to go lower than 4k, don't want lower than 60fps and don't want HDR, it's like, really guys. 

gtamatics
9 hours ago, Xerukal said:

Stumbled upon this today.

Pretty interesting. The lighting is truly next level in RDR2 though.

RDR1 was released in 2010. GTA5 was released in 2013. RDR2 has been working since 2010. The graphics in RDR2 are 80% the same in GTA5

Edited by gtamatics

The Algerian
On 10/30/2018 at 4:22 PM, Lazlow007 said:

It would be so nice from Rockstar to release a game for all platforms at once. I know it's a business tactic from them, but still. At least I hope we don't have to wait a year or two, only a few month. Oh wait, we are talking about Rockstar.....I mean, I can dream haha

No offense, but you guys just don't live in the real world.

It's like how anyone thinks the king could do absolutely whatever he pleased back in the middle-ages, when anyone who's paid a little attention to shows like Game of Thrones would know they always had to tread carefully with the other lords, and couldn't even marry who they wanted if they wanted to ensure stability.

That's the same thing with a company like TakeTwo, but even much worse.

Bottomline is, Rockstar doesn't just decide on a whim to release on which platform at which time. They release a game every 5 years, the latest game has to provide stable profits for this period, or the company's stock is going to drop.

DentureDynamite
On 10/31/2018 at 1:03 PM, Xerukal said:

With those rumored dates, it would actually be safer to bet on a mid-late 2019 release, just to account for the possible delays. Very much like GTA V.

Hmm; I have doubts about any PC release less than a year after the console release.

Reason? You can bet Sony (not so much Micro$oft) wants maximum console sales before people jump ship to the PC--even if the PC market is notably smaller than even the PS4.

Either way, I'll still buy the PC version just for better frame rates, eye candy, and proper mouse and keyboard functionality.

I really love the slower pace and motivation for strategizing things. Patience and careful planning are going to have their rewards in this game.

Edited by DentureDynamite

Spider-Vice

I'd pin it on Take-Two/R* and not the console manufacturers personally.

TagoKG

Its safe to say they will release the game before late 2019, they don't want to lost sales vs cyberpunk 2077

Lazlow007
4 minutes ago, TagoKG said:

Its safe to say they will release the game before late 2019, they don't want to lost sales vs cyberpunk 2077

Hope so. I don't want to wait another 18 months for a PC version.  I'm sure it's ready, they are just holding it back.

TagoKG
9 minutes ago, Lazlow007 said:

Hope so. I don't want to wait another 18 months for a PC version.  I'm sure it's ready, they are just holding it back.

yea is this or 2020 :/

Edited by TagoKG

Remapped

Been playing on PS4 frame gets interesting.

RDR2, would be so great to play on pc very nice open world game, really needs higher frame rate to enjoy game even more , have been spoiled playing GTAV/Witcher 3 other games at 1080p 60fps and that's on a potato masher pc !

mas0764
On 10/31/2018 at 12:57 PM, monk70 said:

So we've got "early 2019", "april 2019" and "june-july 2019". We'll see what will come true.

Where did we hear these different dates from??

Xerukal
29 minutes ago, mas0764 said:

Where did we hear these different dates from??

June/July was from a reliable GTA Online leaker, Yan. Though even he himself said that those dates are most likely going to change (because Rockstar).

I think early 2019 or April came from some analyst. There's always a couple of those guys "predicting" things, so I dunno if I'd put any stock in 'em.

Edited by Xerukal

monk70

"Early 2019" from IGN Spain streamer.

Spider-Vice

How would IGN Spain even know? 

Xerukal
24 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

How would IGN Spain even know? 

I reckon someone from IGN Spain was probably making an educated guess, and the fact that they were merely speculating was lost in translation. Literally. 

Ash_735

April/May still safest bet, its an area Rockstar used to release games in (last generation) whilst before that October was their hot spot. 

Seeing as RDR2 console already took October it should be enough to sync it back up to April/May for PC as it falls into a new fiscal year, avoids the winter rush (highest selling point for console games) and retains a previously held release slot. 

andamentos

I would love to see PC Version being announced at the same time they anounce the release date for RDR Online...... what do you think?

Spider-Vice

Welp, there we go, RDR2 confirmed on PC... /s

Spoiler

unknown.png

(from SteamDB)

Tomern11

Not really sure about the "PC version is already done, and they're just holding it in" . Pretty sure they've been working on that for a while, only now after the consoles launch they do focus more on the PC version. ( and online...)

And also about that estimated early 2019 or mid 2019 release date not so sure either. I mean, i'd love that, but the minimal "wondering in the wilderness n' waiting" time for a R* PC version of most of their games recently has been at least a single year or so. As much as i'd love this game to be released any sooner, ( and god, i'm having so much trouble avoiding spoilers on youtube, and i don't usually do this for a game. ) I'm pretty sure it would come out at least on 2019 Q4 I'm afraid. ( maybe Q3 tops )

15 minutes ago, andamentos said:

I would love to see PC Version being announced at the same time they anounce the release date for RDR Online...... what do you think?

Online releases this month, so quite unlikely to be honest. As aforementioned, R* would keep PC players in the dark for at least some months before even announcing a PC version. Otherwise, they'd lose some console versions sales because of folks who rather waiting for the PC version. ( as they should ) R* wants to maximize console sales before releasing to PC, and an early announcement would hamper those sales.

Edited by Tomern11

Xerukal
1 minute ago, Spider-Vice said:

Hide contents

unknown.png

(from SteamDB)

This is must be the new Shetland Pony. They've gotten kinkier with their code names. 

Also, after the irrational GTA V PC wait, It's real hard to imagine a release that's as soon as April/May 2019. I know it makes sense financially and all, I've just been conditioned to expect the bullest of sh*ts from Rockstar when it comes to release dates. 

Maybe the coin flip will land on Dan's shiny head this time and we'll be safe. 

Lazlow007
28 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

Hide contents

unknown.png

(from SteamDB)

Almost got me there, haha. To be honest I can see them using a beta name like that 😂😂

Edited by Lazlow007

Ash_735

For an announcement of the pc version, I'd pin that on end of January to end of February. That way consoles get to cover black friday/thanksgiving, Christmas, new year/January sales, which are the usual hot spots. Once those have passed, they'll announce it and give it three months to get hype.

Therefore, announced at end of January, released end of April/early May. 

monk70

It' sad to admit but for june/july release R* should announce PC version in december at least. It took 5 month to release new gen version of GTA5. And it's very unlikely. I think they will announce PC version just after RDO goes final and not earlier. So maybe june announcement at E3 like GTA 5 and october/november release. Yeah guys, we have to wait another year.

Uncle Sikee Atric
1 hour ago, monk70 said:

It' sad to admit but for june/july release R* should announce PC version in december at least. It took 5 month to release new gen version of GTA5. And it's very unlikely. I think they will announce PC version just after RDO goes final and not earlier. So maybe june announcement at E3 like GTA 5 and october/november release. Yeah guys, we have to wait another year.

I think the announcement of a PC version will be April, shortly after the tax year end, with the launch late summer, July / August.

E3 has every possibility of previewing new gen consoles that'll appear 2020 / 21, so the PC share of the show is likely to be missed in the hype.

Fireboyd78

Just a couple points I'd like to address (been wanting to pitch in):

"RDR2 isn't coming to PC; remember how good RDR1 was on PC? *smirk*"

Wipe that smile off your face buddy, RDR1 was a development nightmare and they determined porting it to PC was not financially feasible for the amount of time required. That was 8 years ago...RAGE has evolved and improved since then.

"I don't think RDR2 is coming anytime soon, let's look at GTA 5 as a reference point!"

Once again, we're talking about a moment in history where Rockstar were still figuring out this whole "next-gen" thing and carefully planning their moves so as to maximize profits. They hit the nail right on the head.

GTA 5 on PC was in development right alongside the 360/PS3 (remember the leaked "builds.xml" file?) -- it was released in 2015 because of the XB1/PS4 coming out and being a great time to release it alongside the "remastered" versions.

So, any speculation on the PC version's release date is just that -- speculation. If you want to get a good idea of when it might come out, look at when the fiscal year starts and ends. They want to maximize profits on a single title across multiple platforms.

Unless Rockstar has another plan up their sleeve, don't expect the PC version to come out any sooner than March 31st, 2019. Those of you saying June or July are probably right.

But hey, the sooner, the better! I can't wait!

Edited by Fireboyd78

Slappy212

It's obviously coming to PC, the question is whether it will stand up to other PC games by the time it gets there. A lightly modded Witcher 3 looks better than RDR2, let alone Asscreed Origins and Odyssey. 

fatdog
8 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

For an announcement of the pc version, I'd pin that on end of January to end of February. That way consoles get to cover black friday/thanksgiving, Christmas, new year/January sales, which are the usual hot spots. Once those have passed, they'll announce it and give it three months to get hype.

Agreed, there is no reason to hold it after the end of holiday season, got few thing to add though. 1. Online part means the sooner you release it, the the more you can milk via micro transactions. 2. Best launch window is after the end of active dripfeed phase of new GTA dlc and rdro initial content. So February\april doesn't sound too crazy to be truth.

volta2001

I think it will be a spring 2019 announcement with fall 2019 release date, followed by a spring 2020 announcement of their next game. 

nkjellman

I bet that RDR 2 will come to PC in the spring of 2019.

I do not believe it will take as long as GTA V. GTA V was released on a new console generation before it was released for PC. I think this alone is why it took so long. I'd definitely say that GTA V went through the most changes out of any GTA game going from its initial release to the PC release.

Rockstar's always added additional features to the PC versions of their games too.

Edited by nkjellman

Lazlow007
5 hours ago, nkjellman said:

I bet that RDR 2 will come to PC in the spring of 2019.

I do not believe it will take as long as GTA V. GTA V was released on a new console generation before it was released for PC. I think this alone is why it took so long. I'd definitely say that GTA V went through the most changes out of any GTA game going from its initial release to the PC release.

Rockstar's always added additional features to the PC versions of their games too.

I think the main thing they will add to the PC version is the R* editor.

BlackScout
On 10/31/2018 at 11:25 PM, Fireboyd78 said:

I've managed to get a working decryptor for strings in the companion app:

Can't get that to work. Errors with undefined functions and non-ASCII characters.

EDIT: Is this Python 3 syntax?
EDIT2: 

line 2, in get_decrypt_key

name = Name(ea)

NameError: global name 'Name' is not defined

Looked the source, Name(ea) is a compatibility macro, why not use get_wide_byte()?

EDIT3:
Am I forgetting something? There is a bunch of undefined garbage. I'm having to edit the code line by line.

Import idc and sh*t

EDIT4:

Got it fixed and working... It was a bit of a pain though.

Edited by BlackScout