3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

AxA

RDR2 PC Discussion

Ash_735
19 minutes ago, The Algerian said:

I think it's going to depend a lot on how long they can get by with only the PS4/X1 versions sales.

If they can milk them to keep shareholders around for more than just 1 fiscal year, we might've to wait longer.

That's why I'm hoping the Online doesn't explode like GTAO did.

fdiuhywsu
41 minutes ago, The Algerian said:

I think it's going to depend a lot on how long they can get by with only the PS4/X1 versions sales.

If they can milk them to keep shareholders around for more than just 1 fiscal year, we might've to wait longer.

I think the only reason GTA V PC got delayed to 2015 was because they had the ps4/xbox1 versions to cover for the previous fiscal year, so even if RDR2 on consoles will do good in terms of sales and online microtransactions revenue (and it almost surely will) I'm still cautiously optimistic that the PC version will get released in 2019.

Uncle Sikee Atric
20 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

That's why I'm hoping the Online doesn't explode like GTAO did.

If there's one thing they need to take as a lesson from GTAO, it's the requirement for a good anti-cheat and server moderation.

But then, the 'beta' on consoles will give us a good indication of what to expect, if they go with the peer-server model from GTAO, that's not a good sign....

MarczXD

Thanks for all the aswers that i received, you guys got a point, guess what i said might have been back then but today is different.

Like you guys said, consoles's arquitecture are more close than PC than back in the last generation, it's easier to make games there now, and rockstar being rockstar, they wouldn't lose the oportunity for the extra buck (or it's 2K ?)

Edited by MarczXD

Jason

1) The only reason a developer won't do a PC release is either exclusivity reasons or budget reasons. RDR2 has neither problem, and thus will release on PC because it's an extra 5mil+ sales. Tradition is meaningless these days.

2) Means nothing, there's been a huge want for RDR on PC since 2010. Rockstar's games are in demand on all platforms.

3) No worries about your content dripfeed being spoiled or an extra 5mil+ sales. No developer has yet to choose the first option.

Here's an example for 1 and 2 in particular: Monster Hunter. It's been a handheld franchise for well over a decade, but had it's first properly done version made for PS4/Xbox One and then later PC this year (Monster Hunter: World). It's now Capcom's best selling game ever.

Quenai
3 hours ago, MarczXD said:

I have 3 reason of why i think RDR 2 will not be on PC:

1# Franchise tradition.

Since the first game (Red Dead Revolver) the Red Dead franchise has always been console exclusive, with the first game released on the PS2 and Xbox, the second game on the Xbox 360 and PS3 and now RDR 2 on the Xbox One and PS4, they probably want to respect such tradition.

2# Lack of a estabilished community.

Since the franchise has always been console exclusive there isn't a community of the game already estabilished on PC, most PC players who knows the franchise bought a console to play, rockstar probably don't launch on PC due to a lack of a major public, GTA exist on PC since the first game, so it's make sense that they launch on PC, not the case on Red Dead though.

3# Messing with files.

Rockstar always trys to make the updates a surprise, the issue however is that PC players immediately dig into the game's files (GTA Online for example) and already find new DLC content long before rockstar officaly announces the update, they probably want to keep everything of RDR 2 as a surprise until they announce it.

Those are just theories, and my opinion though.

I have to disagree with you in some points: 1. I don't think we have such a thing as "franchise tradition" nowadays,all that matters is money,and they will lose a lot if they don't release on PC. 2.I really doubt that messing with files is a big issue for Rockstar,if so,they already have done something with the ton of leaked things we had with GTAO for exemple,even with consoles we have this problem,on the PC is just easier.

Edited by Quenai

AxA

fdiuhywsu

This linkedin leak is old news

Xerukal

Not to mention Soul Calibur VI, which literally just came out last week. The first SC game on PC... like ever.

"Series tradition" doesn't mean anything in this context. Neither does the lack of an established community. GTA players on PC are the established community. All of them? No. Most of them? Most likely, yes. I've yet to meet a single person on PC that has played GTA and explicitly has zero interest in even trying Red Dead. 

The only way to establish a community specifically for that platform is to release the game on it. The time is ripe to do it now, especially after how well GTA V has done (and is doing) on PC. Despite the out of control GTAO which will, let's face it, always be that way. No matter the platform or version. It'll just be a big clusterf*ck. The best they can do is try and secure their files more (hopefully not to the detriment of Story Mode mods).

Edited by Xerukal

Ash_735

That's a good point about GTAV/O, despite being bloated and crazy right now, it's STILL an amazing port and runs great, same with Max Payne 3, the version of RAGE used in those games purrs on all hardware types (shame it took the sacrifice of GTA IV on PS3/PC and Red Dead Redemption 1 becoming an undocumented mess to get to it though). I'm excited to see RDR2 for the main reason of seeing IF we're now getting a new version of RAGE (which I'm expecting after all this time) and if they've built it up to take advantage of hardware even more (hoping for HDR support on PC and possibly Vulkan API) then the side of PC gaming that's into engine work and stuff should be in for a real treat, even over the next few weeks as tech channels rip apart the console versions to see what's been done.

Xerukal

For sure. They really just need to clean up the way they do updates with RDR Online. Cut down on the mess with files, order things nicely. Hopefully learn a lot from GTAO's troubles.

I'd take less frequent content updates as well. Go for quality over quantity, even with the free ones (if they continue that model). Focus on fixes, keeping things balanced to a reasonable degree and adding quality of life stuff. Keep it well oiled & simple. I really feel like the map and gameplay of the game will do most of the heavy lifting Online. No need to cram it full of money-sinking sh*t (although I'm sure they'll find ways). 

RedDagger

I'm not entirely sure why "franchise tradition" gets brought up so many times when people discount the possibility of a PC version. What does that even mean? Why does that hold any sway as to what platforms it goes on?

Firstly, it's a bit silly to refer to a franchise with a pair of games as having "tradition"; secondly, platform exclusivity is only a thing if it's explicit, e.g. Xbox or Playstation exclusives - "console exclusive" for the sake of "tradition" isn't a thing. Where does that thought even come from?

Also adding "Those are just theories, and my opinion though." is f*ckin' weak sauce wobbly knee gibberish used to justify not defending a poorly thought out opinion. ur post is automatically mega lame and dumb if you do that. 

Choteron

Steam sales is next week? I want to grab a game to distract from RDR 2 hype train

LunaStrky :3
2 hours ago, Choteron said:

Steam sales is next week? I want to grab a game to distract from RDR 2 hype train

Realy? I'll try to clear my wishlist in this sale, Just this morning I've Bought Halo Wars and Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 (Despite the fact that I Work as a Car Mechanic IRL [FML]) I'm gonna give a try to Sleeping Dogs, and the Darksiders Franchise too, I have nearly 120 games on my Steam account and I've just played like 30 or 40.

OT: R* has the reputation to "Not care" about PC players, sometimes I believe it's true, but I still think that this time RDR 2 will arrive on PC. I'm in a tightrope  right now, I have the Hype and all the fuzz of the game release making me think in buying a PS4, but on the other hand, I believe that the game on PC will be very cool and possibly with some kind of upgrade from the consoles version, wich makes me want to upgrade my current rig for the game when it comes. 🤔

RetardOfTheYear

I won't care that much if rdr2 isn't released for PC, but I think R* are a strong enough group to subject themselv in the harsh judgment of the elitist PC players (and commit the best version of their games as it's usually the case at the same time) so yeah, I don't really see why they wouldn't release it to PC.

That being said, If they don't release gta VI to PC, they will suffer... greatly...

Piro
22 hours ago, Uncle Sikee Atric said:

If there's one thing they need to take as a lesson from GTAO, it's the requirement for a good anti-cheat and server moderation.

But then, the 'beta' on consoles will give us a good indication of what to expect, if they go with the peer-server model from GTAO, that's not a good sign....

Wasn't it confirmed to be p2p? Cause if not I'm pretty sure it will be...

I give them 2 weeks max before we gonna have people on flying horses with god-mode, guns that fires wild animals at you, horse dupe glitches and dancing bears. 

And if that wasn't the worst part - I srsly think they learned all the wrong lessons from gtaonline...  

Edited by Piro

Pocket Fox
18 hours ago, RedDagger said:

I'm not entirely sure why "franchise tradition" gets brought up so many times when people discount the possibility of a PC version. What does that even mean? Why does that hold any sway as to what platforms it goes on?

Firstly, it's a bit silly to refer to a franchise with a pair of games as having "tradition"; secondly, platform exclusivity is only a thing if it's explicit, e.g. Xbox or Playstation exclusives - "console exclusive" for the sake of "tradition" isn't a thing. Where does that thought even come from?

Also adding "Those are just theories, and my opinion though." is f*ckin' weak sauce wobbly knee gibberish used to justify not defending a poorly thought out opinion. ur post is automatically mega lame and dumb if you do that. 

Franchise tradition went out the window when PC games started moving over to console or even console only titles.

CoD was PC's 2003 hero. It's skipped a PC release here and there and been console-centric for a long time. 65 fov etc.

slarlac249
21 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

Franchise tradition went out the window when PC games started moving over to console or even console only titles.

CoD was PC's 2003 hero. It's skipped a PC release here and there and been console-centric for a long time. 65 fov etc.

cod has been garbage ever since it went "cinematic" and they made it annoying to play "bloody screen everytime you are shoot". seriously...crap like that makes games not fun to play.

hei3enberg

I do hope RDR 2 arrives on PC, after all GTA V PC version is the most visually striking with Ultra post-processing and advanced distance scaling, it looks like a different game after getting from consoles. Convergence of Windows 10 and Xbox 1 architecture is another reason why it is possible, why money is the main factor why it should be done. I played RDR on 360 and I have some good memories of the game, although GTA V later totally overshadowed it. 

_MK_

Count a year after the release then you'll have a "PC version" and that's not counting the "polishing" delays.

Personally don't care about RDR2 but it won't be an easy wait with VI since Rockstar is a straight out money whore doesn't matter for them how long they keep the fans waiting and begging for info "milk them slowly piece by piece make sure they buy a console since we have a share from that since we release it exclusively on consoles and with that they'll buy the console version of the game then after we suck them flat out with sharkcards we'll release the PC version so the people who bought the console version will buy again the game for "better fps draw distance etc" and lets not forget how they treat their devs like prisoners and slaves.

Oh and the PC version will be a console port,basically the same load of sh*t that went with V will be going down with each game Rockstar releases. 

Edited by _MK_

Xerukal

But GTA V wasn't even a console port. It was developed side by side with all other versions of the game. Same as Max Payne 3.

Spider-Vice
1 hour ago, Xerukal said:

But GTA V wasn't even a console port. It was developed side by side with all other versions of the game. Same as Max Payne 3.

In fact, funnily, the current gen versions of V are a PC port. ;) 

jimmycakes

Men, it is time to band together and fight for our Red Dead Redemption 2! 

Xerukal

It's time to band together and wait approximately 8-12 months to be able to play a game everyone else is going to be all over in a little less than a day. 

Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?

Slappy212

We might have to start a support group.

gtamatics
7 hours ago, Slappy212 said:

Why? I will not lick Rockstar's ass. We should not be tortured.

Uncle Sikee Atric
11 hours ago, Slappy212 said:

We did have a support group for GTA V when this happened.  It was called 'GTA V and Steam'.

I miss those heady days of arguments and over hype sometimes....  (Sarcasm)

We should get our turn in due course.

Xerukal

This is only the beginning. We'll be hitting GTA V PC levels of madness within months. 

I can't imagine the wait being much worse than GTA V, tbh. RDR2 was announced two years ago already. By the time it's expected to come out on PC, it should be slightly less or slightly more than 3 years of total wait. Still less than GTA V, overall. 

If next gen consoles are announced for next year though... we're f*cked.

Quenai

Man I already watched a couple of videos and man... the game is stunning,absolutely amazing,one of the best games ever made,that's for sure.Now I will have to wait with you guys,STAY STRONG BROTHERS!