3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

mde2

Stretch and his funny antics

mde2

So I've been doing another playthrough of GTA V and have gotten all the way to Lamar Down. I've been playing V since release and it's only just occurred to me...why did Stretch continue to set-up Franklin and Lamar?

Like am I missing something or do Rockstar just genuinely not come up with a motive for why Stretch continues to keep setting up Lamar and Franklin to get either ripped off or killed. First the recycle plant deal, then the "dry-wall" and finally getting Lamar to go all the way up into Paleto Bay for some type of deal. If you don't pick Option C, Lamar has to go so far as to go into hiding because Stretch and the Ballas have it out for him but it's never been apparent to me why this is the case, because the first time we meet him, he and Lamar seem to have a pretty good, if not at least friendly relationship. 

Could someone please explain. Is this just poor writing by R* or did we get an explanation I just missed?

Edited by RetroMystic

TheSantader25
2 hours ago, RetroMystic said:

So I've been doing another playthrough of GTA V and have gotten all the way to Lamar Down. I've been playing V since release and it's only just occurred to me...why did Stretch continue to set-up Franklin and Lamar?

Like am I missing something or do Rockstar just genuinely not come up with a motive for why Stretch continues to keep setting up Lamar and Franklin to get either ripped off or killed. First the recycle plant deal, then the "dry-wall" and finally getting Lamar to go all the way up into Paleto Bay for some type of deal. If you don't pick Option C, Lamar has to go so far as to go into hiding because Stretch and the Ballas have it out for him but it's never been apparent to me why this is the case, because the first time we meet him, he and Lamar seem to have a pretty good, if not at least friendly relationship. 

Could someone please explain. Is this just poor writing by R* or did we get an explanation I just missed?

It's explained in the game but indirectly. You should basically figure it out yourself. 

First of all stretch was just acting out like he was cool with Lamar. He was already turned into a ballas member in the prison. The problem all started when Lamar kidnapped D(the ballas OG) which resulted in a beef between the ballas and lamar. Stretch is now a new recruited ballas member since prison and kills D out of frustration because he didn't know what franklin and lamar did to f*ck the relationship with the ballas so he thinks the ballas set him up. So the next part is all speculation. The ballas now want stretch to take out lamar so he can redeem himself as a true ballas member. Well lamar is a reputable family member and a guy who was responsible for all the 'D' bullsh*t so they want to kill him. Also I doubt they wanted to setup Franklin. All they wanted was lamar but franklin always stumbled on the situation to save lamar's ass. 

Edited by TheSantader25

mde2
7 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

It's explained in the game but indirectly. You should basically figure it out yourself. 

I shouldn't have to infer major plot points like this but sure. Not saying everything should be spelt out for the player but more than one line of dialogue in a car trip would've been helpful.

7 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

First of all stretch was just acting out like he was cool with Lamar. He was already turned into a ballas member in the prison. The problem all started when Lamar kidnapped D(the ballas OG) which resulted in a beef between the ballas and lamar. Stretch is now a new recruited ballas member since prison and kills D out of frustration because he didn't know what franklin and lamar did to f*ck the relationship with the ballas. So the next part is all speculation. The ballas now want stretch to take out lamar so he can redeem himself as a true ballas member. Well lamar is a reputable family member and a guy who was responsible for all the 'D' bullsh*t so they want to kill him. Also I doubt they wanted to setup Franklin. All they wanted was lamar but franklin always stumbled on the situation to save lamar's ass. 

Guess it makes enough sense for me to be satisfied. In the dialogue on returning to LS with Lamar, it's stated that Stretch "got close" with the Ballas, wasn't aware he outright joined their ranks and used his power within the Families to get Lamar killed. Still a bit iffy on the fact Stretch was the one that rolled D but y'know, what can you do. 

EDIT: And I'm aware killing Lamar would have been paying back the debt of killing D, that or the blame was shifted on Lamar in the first place because Stretch clearly isn't the most honest gentleman in LS.

Edited by RetroMystic

Agent 14

What Stretch did is no different than what a gang leader will do if a peace treaty was broken. Ballas and The Neo Grove St had a peace treaty until Lamar and Franklin broke that peace treaty when Lamar went in business on his own by kidnapping that OG from the ballas. In which why D. asked lamar i thought the family and ballas were cool in which lamar replies maybe we're doing our own thing.

D9fred95

Stretch sucks because he's a minor antagonist built up as a major antagonist. He should've been like Vincenzo, but R* decided to try and make him Big Smoke 2.0 and failed miserably. Stretch became a Ballas member in prison how? Just because? A "legendary" Families member just joined the opposing gang for giggles I guess.

Smoke made sense, he wanted money and power and that broke CJ's heart. Stretch is just like "Yeah, I like purple now". If the Ballas want Stretch to kill Lamar to "redeem" himself, why doesn't Stretch just pop him? Why toss him in with all these fake deals? If Stretch really joined the Ballas then why bother covering it up? This isn't international espionage, it's two street gangs.

DirtCheap

I honestly think he's the worst antagonist in the series. I wrote why in another topic

On 5/19/2018 at 8:44 PM, DirtCheap said:

Why is Stretch such a sh*t antagonist?

To be honest, I personally thought that the antagonists in V were not exactly the best. Now to be fair, Weston was more annoying than evil but at least you had a reason for wanting him dead for wasting your time collecting sports cars and nearly killing Mike's family, Haines came off more as a douche than a villain but at least he had somewhat of a personality and Cheng may have been absent for almost the entirety of the game but at least he had his reasons for wanting Trevor annihilated. So basically, these 3 guys can be considered solid villains. However, Stretch can't be considered a solid villain in my personal opinion.

He literally is dreadful. We only see him TWICE in the game, which is a new low for R*. And if you don't choose Option 3, he appears ONCE. This makes him first place in the GTA villains with the least amount of appearances (Torini -the villain from LCS- also appears only twice in LCS but seeing how there's lots of evidence that points to Option 3 being canon, we can assume that he and Stretch are both in first place)

He also has no reason for betraying his own gang. Like why the hell does he betray the Families? It's never mentioned in the game why he just joined the Ballas all of the sudden. He even goes as far as trying to take out Lamar (one of his best friends) for no reason. Like why? Lamar is a low ranking gangsta that can't even catch a guy on foot so why wouldn't Stretch take out a high ranking Families member that's more intimidating? There's no indication Lamar wanted to do something big so why would he gather almost 100 Ballas to exterminate him in a secluded area? What's worse is that Lamar still thinks Stretch still likes him which makes me dislike Lamar because it proves he's a self-absorbed dude that can't think straight. And don't say 'But Lamar just thought Stretch was trying to see how tough he is!' as if I got told to go to some secluded area to collect something and nearly 100 rival gang members were there waiting for me, I wouldn't trust that guy anymore. And Lamar survives the ordeal so there's no reason for him not to have second thoughts about Stretch.

I think it's blatantly obvious R* was trying to recreate a situation in which your homie(s) betray you from SA and failed miserably. At least Smoke and Ryder have reasons for betraying GSF; they were forced to and got a fortune and power from it. There's no literal reason why Stretch betrays you as he was never forced (to be fair, we only know Smoke and Ryder were forced to as R* released "The Introduction" which explained the backstory of SA and was also the reason we don't have GTA: San Andreas Stories) and we're never told/shown he got fortune and power as he is literally seen in the same fashion in his second appearance (albeit without a green hat) playing basketball with some Ballas and we are never told/shown he has immense power unlike S&M as he owns nothing majorly new after joining the Ballas (as in, he has no new car, no new house or building, no new weapons,etc.).

Also, like I said above, we aren't shown/told he has immense power, so going by that fact, why wouldn't any Families member kill him for being a traitor? Smoke and Ryder weren't taken out for being traitors as Smoke owned a heavily guarded crack palace and Ryder (along with Smoke) had many serious connections so they were forces not to be reckoned with.

Anyway, this may seem a bit nitpicky, but why is Stretch called Stretch? We're never told how Sweet and Ryder from SA got their nicknames (we know Big Smoke got his name as he loves that green stuff and he is...big boned) but don't you think the name Stretch is a bit...odd? But this is just a pet peeve of mine and not really something that needs a whole lot of attention.

Ondr4H

I dont know who is Stretch(I met him once in game), same goes for Tanisha or who this girl is...

GTA V is full of bad writing, every "chapters" have about three missions.I dont care about these clowns, i have now 40 missions and I hope this misery ends soon.

I made more respect for Maude Eccles than any of main protagonists.

TheSantader25
10 hours ago, D9fred95 said:

Smoke made sense, he wanted money and power and that broke CJ's heart. Stretch is just like "Yeah, I like purple now". If the Ballas want Stretch to kill Lamar to "redeem" himself, why doesn't Stretch just pop him? 

Because that would be world war III also it's clear that the Ballas have more power and money in GTA V so a guy like stretch would definitely join them. if a family member turned ballas directly shot lamar sh*t would go to hell. Also that would blow his cover and wouldn't let him be around the families no more. He had to lure him into traps. Don't you know how things work in South LA irl? if someone gets clapped by an opposing gang member, then they want revenge and a chain of deaths from both gangs start out. 

10 hours ago, D9fred95 said:

. If Stretch really joined the Ballas then why bother covering it up? This isn't international espionage, it's two street gangs.

Because he still wanted to know what's going on with the families and snitch info for the ballas. Is that really hard to understand? I know he's a really bad antagonist but at least try not to f*ck up some of the obvious points about him. 

The problem is that ppl think he was a main antagonist and that's not their fault because R* tossed him in the finale. He is a minor antagonist sort of like jizzy in SA but still worst. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Crossbones
37 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

Because that would be world war III also it's clear that the Ballas have more power and money in GTA V so a guy like stretch would definitely join them. if a family member turned ballas directly shot lamar sh*t would go to hell. Also that would blow his cover and wouldn't let him be around the families no more. He had to lure him into traps. Don't you know how things work in South LA irl? if someone gets clapped by an opposing gang member, then they want revenge and a chain of deaths from both gangs start out. 

Because he still wanted to know what's going on with the families and snitch info for the ballas. Is that really hard to understand? I know he's a really bad antagonist but at least try not to f*ck up some of the obvious points about him. 

The problem is that ppl think he was a main antagonist and that's not their fault because R* tossed him in the finale. He is a minor antagonist sort of like jizzy in SA but still worst. 

I don't think he joined Ballas because they are more powerful. The reason he joined Ballas was to keep himself safe in the prison. It could be like the prison was full of Ballas members and being on their rival's side ain't a good thing in a prison. And in V, Families have bigger turf than Ballas, so I don't think that the Ballas are more powerful than Families. 

I agree that shooting Lamar straight in the face to redeem himself ain't a good option as a gang war would broke out. 

Also, I don't think he kept hanging around with Families so he can snitch on them and pass information to Ballas. They are street gangs not some kind of big organised crime syndicate who have big operations running. Every set functions independently and even in the set, members run their own things with their homies. Look at kidnapping of D and all things Lamar pulled off, they had nothing to do with CGF. But when there are no proper explanations to this behaviour of Stretch, snitching can be considered as the only reason he did that. 

TheSantader25
1 hour ago, Crossbones said:

I don't think he joined Ballas because they are more powerful. The reason he joined Ballas was to keep himself safe in the prison. It could be like the prison was full of Ballas members and being on their rival's side ain't a good thing in a prison. And in V, Families have bigger turf than Ballas, so I don't think that the Ballas are more powerful than Families. 

I agree that shooting Lamar straight in the face to redeem himself ain't a good option as a gang war would broke out. 

Also, I don't think he kept hanging around with Families so he can snitch on them and pass information to Ballas. They are street gangs not some kind of big organised crime syndicate who have big operations running. Every set functions independently and even in the set, members run their own things with their homies. Look at kidnapping of D and all things Lamar pulled off, they had nothing to do with CGF. But when there are no proper explanations to this behaviour of Stretch, snitching can be considered as the only reason he did that. 

Good point but gangs have drug deals and OG meetings. Stretch could snitch the location and time of those events and the ballas wouldn't even have to show up. They could just call the police to ruin the families drug deals. 

D9fred95
10 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Are the Families going to be like "oh, Lamar fuched up so I guess the kill was legit, our bad". No, they'll go to war against the Ballas regardless because they killed one of their own. You literally just said that. What about the drywall? Presume Lamar bought it no problems, are the Families going to be like "silly Ballas, they gave you drywall those rascals". No, Lamar will get sh*t but any truce with the Ballas are now on extremely thin ice. Not a great way for two legendary enemies to celebrate their new truce with screwing each other over.

10 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Like Crossbones said above, these are street gangs, not some international espionage. Stretch using the Families for info only works with one single set since they all operate individually. And it's not like the Families members would just not notice eventually. With Stretch snitching so much they're going to put two and two together eventually and figure out he's the one doing it.

You're right, he is a minor antagonist. R* thought otherwise and I'm not cutting Stretch slack for what he's "supposed" to be rather than what he ended up as.

Edited by D9fred95

TheSantader25
2 hours ago, D9fred95 said:

Are the Families going to be like "oh, Lamar fuched up so I guess the kill was legit, our bad". No, they'll go to war against the Ballas regardless because they killed one of their own. You literally just said that. What about the drywall? Presume Lamar bought it no problems, are the Families going to be like "silly Ballas, they gave you drywall those rascals". No, Lamar will get sh*t but any truce with the Ballas are now on extremely thin ice. Not a great way for two legendary enemies to celebrate their new truce with screwing each other over.

Like Crossbones said above, these are street gangs, not some international espionage. Stretch using the Families for info only works with one single set since they all operate individually. And it's not like the Families members would just not notice eventually. With Stretch snitching so much they're going to put two and two together eventually and figure out he's the one doing it.

You're right, he is a minor antagonist. R* thought otherwise and I'm not cutting Stretch slack for what he's "supposed" to be rather than what he ended up as.

And like I said to Crossbones and he agreed Gangs have OG meetings and drug deals. And they apparently DID knew stretch was a snitch by the end like Franklin said "tanisha knew and she doesn't come around the f*cking hood no more, everyone knew" but Lamar was dumb and didn't get it. Also Crossbones made a good point about why stretch joined the ballas. For protection in prison which is highly possible. We've seen people change sides a lot in prisons in movies as well. 

Also stretch seems to be acting like a bridge between the families and Ballas. Saying things like "negotiate with the purple homies" which would still mean he somehow persuades the family's OGs that the truce is still righteous. But like I said, everyone knew him by the end and that's why he is completely seen rolling with the ballas in the Finale without any cover up. 

But once again they should have killed him sooner than the Finale and give each protagonist one of cheng/haines/weston to kill instead of giving trevor 2 kills. The Finale seems very rushed. It's like R* were writing the story and suddenly ran out of budget and said "sh*t we have no budget left. Let's kill every bad guy in a mission and name it the finale amd move on to GTA ONLINE" 

Edited by TheSantader25

MARKUS.

Stretch is just another chump, that tries to look important but is just nothing in the eyes of others.

Wanna look tough on Franklin and Lamar, but is nothing on the Ballas gang. Like an errand boy or lower

SmokesWithCigs
On 8/12/2018 at 2:45 PM, D9fred95 said:

Stretch sucks because he's a minor antagonist built up as a major antagonist. He should've been like Vincenzo, but R* decided to try and make him Big Smoke 2.0 and failed miserably. Stretch became a Ballas member in prison how? Just because? A "legendary" Families member just joined the opposing gang for giggles I guess.

Smoke made sense, he wanted money and power and that broke CJ's heart. Stretch is just like "Yeah, I like purple now". If the Ballas want Stretch to kill Lamar to "redeem" himself, why doesn't Stretch just pop him? Why toss him in with all these fake deals? If Stretch really joined the Ballas then why bother covering it up? This isn't international espionage, it's two street gangs.

Good point but remember big smoke was forced to betray grove street families tenpenny

Johnny Spaz

Stretch betrayed the Families because they weren't as criminally active as the Ballas, plus the disrespect from members of his own set probably made the situation even worse.