3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

pustiul500

First step into the modded world of GTA:SA

pustiul500

Hello community,

As the title states it's my first attempt to mod GTA:SA. I played (and I'm still playing) the Steam version and I'm currently somewhere around 60% through the game (and I say this because I would love not to lose my progress through the game). I used to play SA in my childhood and after an ~7years of break, I really want to finnish the game as nice as possible (no cheats involved etc). After playing somewhere around 20hours, I kinda got sick of the usual crashes and bugs and I tried to install Modloader and some bug fixing mods but I can't really figure out the steps.

As I have read throughout some topics, Modloader isn't recommended to be installed anymore and I honestly have no clue what should I do to "upgrade" my GTA:SA into a better game.

I can't wait to see your replies and guidance,

Thanks

LaDiDa

Modloader not the way to go? Who told you that!?

First step would be to downgrade steam version to v1.0. Then install Silent patch, P2DFX, skygfx, open limit adjuster (comes with P2DFX); Widescreenfix, Ginput (if playing with a controller, I recommend it), modloader, vehicle light fix, PS2 vehicles, map texture fix as a minimum.

Of course you can deviate from these as much as you want.

Do avoid too much cleo scripts if you don't feel like doing some testing inbetween to see if scripts collide with each other and crash your game.

Veigar

You don't have to install skygfx or P2DFX. Heck, you don't have to install any of that. It just makes it a lot smoother. I prefer to not have things like this installed because I can mod my game personally a lot easier without having to find random files in different locations.

Silent patch and asi readers as well as a limit adjuster are really good though. Even though I said you don't need to install them, they make playing through the game a lot easier. You don't need modloader either, it's just more convenience.  I don't use modloader, and my game has heaps of mods.

Try to hold off with mods until after you reach 100%. Never know how some of them can negatively impact the mission scripts. 

LaDiDa

Skygfx would be a requirement for anyone that has played the PS2 versions of any 3D era GTA games. If you don't you'll soon notice something is very wrong with how the game is looking. Vanilla PC looks plain horrible (especially SA)!

pustiul500
Posted (edited)

I appreciate both of your replies, guys! I must mention that I never modded my GTA:SA and just pointing the name of the mods without any certain tutorials or steps to follow is pretty confusing for me (especially that I don't want to broke my SA or my save file).

What I did untill now (and stopped after that) is:

• I added SilentPatchSA.asi and SilentPatchSA.ini into my steamapps > common > GTA:SA
  • I added vorbisFile.dll and vorbisHooked.dll into my steamapps > common > GTA:SA
  • I added modloader.asi into my steamapps > common > GTA:SA
  • I made a modloader folder into my steamapps > common > GTA:SA and added some .data and .profiles folders for the modloader (then deleted them because I kept and I keep receiving an error from modloader "Unknown Game etc.")
  • I created 4 folders into the modloader folder: mod1 - vechicle fixes; mod2 - elegy; mod3 - vehicle light fix; mod4 - hotring racers hd in which I put the coresponding files found on internet

I don't quite know what every piece of above does and what harm could they do. I possess none knowledge about modding GTA:SA (or any other GTA) and your guidance would be more than helpful because the information found online is pretty controversial (and I make refference to some steamcommunity discussions and other GTA forums).

@LaDiDa: this is the post where my trust in modloader kinda flew away https://gtaforums.com/topic/753764-san-andreas-downgrader/?page=9 and without any other experience with the mods I'm way to skeptical and again, I don't want to break my save file.

LE: 

19 hours ago, LaDiDa said:

Skygfx would be a requirement for anyone that has played the PS2 versions of any 3D era GTA games. If you don't you'll soon notice something is very wrong with how the game is looking. Vanilla PC looks plain horrible (especially SA)!

I only played GTA on PC so I don't have any interest to bring some features from other platforms if they don't bring something positive in the fluency and stability of the game (of course, some good looking, HD fixes are more than welcome, but if they threaten the stability of the game I must refuse).

Edited by pustiul500
Wanted to quote the reply above and forgot

DragonSC
Posted (edited)

I recommend you to install SRT3 Mipmap 2014 and Original Retextured Vehicles Pack, I think it shouldn't be problem when loading save files, although I can't load my saves anymore due to different things :D (Install to Modloader) I will gave you a picture with these mods (and of course ENB):

enb2018_8_10_14_30_20.jpg

And this is without mods but ENB:

enb2018_8_10_14_34_18.jpg

Edited by DragonSC

pustiul500
1 hour ago, DragonSC said:

I recommend you to install SRT3 Mipmap 2014 and Original Retextured Vehicles Pack, I think it shouldn't be problem when loading save files, although I can't load my saves anymore due to different things :D (Install to Modloader) I will gave you a picture with these mods (and of course ENB):

Spoiler

enb2018_8_10_14_30_20.jpg

And this is without mods but ENB:

Spoiler

enb2018_8_10_14_34_18.jpg

I need to admit that the enviroment look much nicer with the mods, but I don't feel like changing the minimap sincer it looks great, in my opinion, with the vanilla texture.

Still, there are some steps before I decide what mods I should or I shouldn't use: find the answer if I should go with or without modloader, get de SilentPatch up and running and find all the mods that fix bugs, textures and that just make the game prettier without altering it's vanilla feeling.

I count on you guys and I must thank you in advance for the effort to help me.

LaDiDa

this is the post where my trust in modloader kinda flew away https://gtaforums.com/topic/753764-san-andreas-downgrader/?page=9 and without any other experience with the mods I'm way to skeptical and again, I don't want to break my save file.

I don't see any mention of modloader there? What exactly would be the issue (since a minor issue that did break gameplay was fixed relatively recently thanks to silent).

As for the downgrader: just try it, the worst that can happen is you having to verify game cache to fix your game back up to the original (inferior) steam version.

Skygfx fixes the weird alpha blending the PC version has, using either mobile or neo reflections makes the game look a lot better as well, rain drops on screen during rainy weather is great and the general post processing effects from PS2 that aren't even in the PC version look way nicer. It's not really a graphics mod as it is a fix (at least, with stock PS2 options it'd be a fix, any other settings are just an improvement on those fixes).

pustiul500
1 hour ago, LaDiDa said:

this is the post where my trust in modloader kinda flew away https://gtaforums.com/topic/753764-san-andreas-downgrader/?page=9 and without any other experience with the mods I'm way to skeptical and again, I don't want to break my save file.

I don't see any mention of modloader there? What exactly would be the issue (since a minor issue that did break gameplay was fixed relatively recently thanks to silent).

As for the downgrader: just try it, the worst that can happen is you having to verify game cache to fix your game back up to the original (inferior) steam version.

Skygfx fixes the weird alpha blending the PC version has, using either mobile or neo reflections makes the game look a lot better as well, rain drops on screen during rainy weather is great and the general post processing effects from PS2 that aren't even in the PC version look way nicer. It's not really a graphics mod as it is a fix (at least, with stock PS2 options it'd be a fix, any other settings are just an improvement on those fixes).

Can you provide me some updated links and guides for modloader, SilentPatch, Skygfx and any other fixes or improvements over the vanilla gameplay?

LaDiDa

Cleo (and silents ASI loader)

Modloader

Silent patch

Skygfx

Ginput

P2DFX

Widescreenfix

Maptextures fix

Vehicle lights fix

PS2 Markers

PS2 Vehicles

PS2 fixed objects

More PS2 fixed objects

PS2 parachute (animated)

PS2 object.dat (destroyable statues in atrium)

SF big building fix

All things from this workshop under San Andreas tab (except for PS2 mapfixes)

Vegetation prelight fixed

Vertex color fixes and improvements

Mapfixes

These should fix up the majority of the game pretty nicely without crashes. Obviously there is a lot more out there to improve your game with. I Suggest venturing out there and just install things you want to try in the modloader folder, that way if it causes issues all you have to do is remove the mods folder from modloader and it's uninstalled.

pustiul500
Posted (edited)

Thank you. If I will bump into any problem I'm going to ask for your help!

Should I follow your order (Cleo first and then Modloader) or firstly install Modloader and after that everyone of them as a subfolder in Modloarder's folder?

LE:

Shall I delete (undo) the changes that I did to my GTA:SA?

Edited by pustiul500

LaDiDa

First undo any changes you did. Then follow in order. When using map fixes dff's don't overwrite previous ones (basically just put map things all in the same folder for ML so duplicates can't be there).

Put .asi scripts (with ini's) in rootfolder.

pustiul500
47 minutes ago, LaDiDa said:

First undo any changes you did. Then follow in order. When using map fixes dff's don't overwrite previous ones (basically just put map things all in the same folder for ML so duplicates can't be there).

Put .asi scripts (with ini's) in rootfolder.

The root folder? Which one is that?

DragonSC
1 minute ago, pustiul500 said:

The root folder? Which one is that?

The root directory of GTA: San Andreas (the location where contains gta_sa.exe and other dll files/folders.)

pustiul500
Posted (edited)

Should I replace vorbis.dll with the one in the root folder or just make another folder into modloader's folder?

yBHBEGx.png

And all this ones should go into the root folder?

nl3qkF8.png

Edited by pustiul500

LaDiDa
Posted (edited)

Just replace it (or make a backup of the original file if you want to).

EDIT: rootfolder = folder where gta_sa.exe is located.

Edited by LaDiDa

pustiul500

And if a mod has 5 files: 2 .asi, 2 .ini and 1 .dat

Do I put the .asi and .ini files in the root folder and for the .dat a make a folder in the modloader's folder? (modloader > mod ''x'')

LaDiDa

Depends if they replace anything, if not just put 'm in data folder

DragonSC
8 hours ago, pustiul500 said:

And if a mod has 5 files: 2 .asi, 2 .ini and 1 .dat

Do I put the .asi and .ini files in the root folder and for the .dat a make a folder in the modloader's folder? (modloader > mod ''x'')

Put EVERYTHING into root folder, including .dat, it's configuration file of 2DFX mod. If you want to run game at 60 FPS instead of 25, follow these steps:

Open III.VC.SA.LimitAdjuster.ini

Find FrameLimit under [SALIMITS]

Change the value to 105 (default is 30)

LaDiDa

Don't ever try playing at framerates higher then 30 fps in any 3D era gta. It'll utterly break your game and isn't enjoyable at all. 😑

pustiul500

Thanks for your answers.

But should I install de Limit Adjuster mod or should I play without it? (I'm currently playing with the Frame Limit off at ~100 FPS)

Sanmodder

limit, adjuster, is for high-performance modmakers
e.g. how you add new peds without changing
e.g. how you add new vehicles without replacing
or how you create scripts that are to create more than 100 vehicles
or how you are doing map modifications
if you do not do it, you do not need it
but I would advise you better
that there would be additional security

LaDiDa

Install limit adjuster, if you wan't to play without frame limiter on at least use mixsets and have frame limit on auto within it's .ini. that way it'll limit the framerate to 30 fps whenever the game would show major defects at higher fps.

DragonSC

Play at 60, it doesn't look bad at all. Play how you wanted it. Don't listen us.

pustiul500

Can you guys maybe enlighten me what mod makes this "warm" effect on the enviroment?

V4TcX3y.jpg

These are my installed mods:

ArhkW2u.png

LaDiDa
7 hours ago, DragonSC said:

Play at 60, it doesn't look bad at all. Play how you wanted it. Don't listen us.

It's not about looking bad, 60 should look smoother. It's about 60 fps breaking physics for walking while aiming, swimming, diving, vehicle deceleration etc. It's honestly the worst in SA. III/VC are almost fully playable at 60 fps.

pustiul500
7 hours ago, LaDiDa said:

It's not about looking bad, 60 should look smoother. It's about 60 fps breaking physics for walking while aiming, swimming, diving, vehicle deceleration etc. It's honestly the worst in SA. III/VC are almost fully playable at 60 fps.

I'm playing with the Frame Limiter OFF at 70-100 FPS and the game feels great, but there are some missions when I must turn the Frame Limiter ON and when I do so it limits my game at 30 FPS which makes it pretty unplayable.

I didn't install any mods that interfere with the FPS because it's ok for me to turn the Limiter OFF and ON from time to time, but I might install one or another if is a stable one that doesn't have the risk to break my game or save file. Mostly my problem with the FPS is that I can't let the Limiter ON and my frames to be stopped at 60 FPS, which would make a perfect gameplay. But I guess I can live with the fact that I need to turn OFF and ON from time to time.

Veigar
On 8/9/2018 at 11:00 AM, LaDiDa said:

You still don't *need* it. I dislike modloader because when I mod SA I like it to be more intimate - basically, easier to edit myself and to create my own mods that I put in manually. That's what I'd recommend to anyone who wants a more personal game.

As for someone who just wants a fresh mod off of gtaall, then yeah, I'd say Modloader is a good thing.