3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

ThatKyloRenGuy

How to tell if you have no taste in music

ThatKyloRenGuy

This is just my personal opinion so don’t take it personally.

1. If you don’t like a band or solo artist solely based on where they come from.

2. You don’t like a band or solo artist because you only heard one bad song from them.

3. You think that heavy metal and emo are synonymous.

4. You call rock and metal garbage only because you think they’re satanic then go listening to mainstream country, rap, or pop.

5. You listen to Justin Bieber or One Direction. That goes without saying!

6. You think Motley Crue, Poison, Ratt, and Guns N Roses are some of the best bands to ever exist. They’re all still good, but FAR from the best!

7. You listen to rock or metal, but don’t at least RESPECT old-school country musicians like Elvis, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, etc. 

8. You think a band or solo artist is “old school” when they came out five years ago!

What are some indications that you guys have to tell if someone has no taste in music?

Karami

1. If you mostly listen to mainstream music, or what’s played on the radio.

2. If you’re glued to just one genre. 

[...]
  1. You don't care about artists' whole discographies. You care only about the most popular tracks or even singles in general.
  2. You only listen to the stuff broadcasted on Top 40 radio stations.
  3. You don't care about artistic values of music.

Motherstep

If you think the drummer for Nirvana and the lead vocalist from Foo Fighters are different people... I guess.

make total destroy

you make a thread like this

Motherstep

The more I think about this whole thing, the more I wonder if it's just deliberately antagonistic for the sake of it. I'm all for dragging on people but this just reeks of elitist mockery. It's like you're trying to assemble a pamphlet so people can spot the musically destitute for no other reason other than to bait them. It's no different than setting a rabbit trap but instead of a lettuce leaf you've left a copy of Now That's What I Call Music 100 and then when it snares an unsuspecting "victim" just trying to enjoy the music, you're there to point a finger and laugh.

To a degree, I get it - I'm so into music it can hurt when I find out people aren't as into it as I am. Saying that, I'm not a movie man, so that probably ticks people off just the same. We all have our tastes and we all have ways we like to consume media. I know one man who downloads albums, listens through it and then deletes the tracks he doesn't like. It's enough to give me a thromboembolism. All I do here is take a step back and remember not everybody is like me and that's what makes things great.

I'm not really seeing this as potential to go anywhere. You might call it hypocritical of me considering my own thread about controversial music opinions but the difference there is I'm not going to bait anyone into disagreeing with me. I'm not looking to change anybody's mind or have my own perceptions challenged. This just feels like an all-out "look at this pleb" deal.

ThatKyloRenGuy
On 8/11/2018 at 11:00 AM, ∴ said:

The more I think about this whole thing, the more I wonder if it's just deliberately antagonistic for the sake of it. I'm all for dragging on people but this just reeks of elitist mockery. It's like you're trying to assemble a pamphlet so people can spot the musically destitute for no other reason other than to bait them. It's no different than setting a rabbit trap but instead of a lettuce leaf you've left a copy of Now That's What I Call Music 100 and then when it snares an unsuspecting "victim" just trying to enjoy the music, you're there to point a finger and laugh.

To a degree, I get it - I'm so into music it can hurt when I find out people aren't as into it as I am. Saying that, I'm not a movie man, so that probably ticks people off just the same. We all have our tastes and we all have ways we like to consume media. I know one man who downloads albums, listens through it and then deletes the tracks he doesn't like. It's enough to give me a thromboembolism. All I do here is take a step back and remember not everybody is like me and that's what makes things great.

I'm not really seeing this as potential to go anywhere. You might call it hypocritical of me considering my own thread about controversial music opinions but the difference there is I'm not going to bait anyone into disagreeing with me. I'm not looking to change anybody's mind or have my own perceptions challenged. This just feels like an all-out "look at this pleb" deal.

Cue? Anyways, I have excellent news! It’s not deliberately antagonistic just for the sake of it, nor was it intended to be that way. I don’t care at all if anyone is triggered by this because it’s their own problem, not mine, and they’re just too easily offended. If anyone doesn’t like this thread, it doesn’t bother me at all. They just shouldn’t post in it, because it’s none of their business. Seriously, this forum needs more people like me, Algonquin Assassin, Tycek, Crossbones, etc. The way we handle stuff is when we don’t like posts or threads is just ignore those people. Blow those people off. Tell those people to stick it (figuratively speaking). There’s never a point in posting in a thread you don’t like. Just saying. However, you still made some valid points. I’ll give you credit for that.

Motherstep

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm offended. I think I'm more puzzled than anything. Even so, the same freedoms apply to us all. Everybody has a right to post in a thread if they disagree with what's being talked about, so long as it's on-topic and doesn't read like a transcribed fart. If all you got in topics were people strictly on your side, it'd be a bit one-sided and a bit boring.

Sinner!

If you think the Coronation Street theme tune is better than the EastEnders theme tune.

Motherstep
23 minutes ago, Sinner! said:

If you think the Coronation Street theme tune is better than the EastEnders theme tune.

Excuse me, what? This is untouchable.

JayKed20

You judge people based on their music tastes.

make total destroy

On 8/12/2018 at 6:02 PM, ThatBenGuy said:

Blow those people off. Tell those people to stick it.

tobias+funke.jpg

Testarossa

You make a topic gatekeeping and imposing rules you pulled out of your ass despite the fact that music is a subjective topic and everyone is free to like whatever they want.

Mr. Scratch

You listen to anything other than hardbass.

Edited by Mr. Scratch

MCMXCII

Assuming this thread was created on the basis of satire, I believe (not really) that anyone who listens to K-Pop has no taste in music (some of it ain't bad IMHO).

Willmore

everyone has his own taste in music, and, in general, in art

Conici

if your subjective opinion is different than my subjective opinion 

Cutter De Blanc

If someone asks you what kind of music you like and you say "everything" but cant give any specifics

feckyerlife
On 8/8/2018 at 10:57 AM, ThatBenGuy said:

This is just my personal opinion so don’t take it personally.

4. You call rock and metal garbage only because you think they’re satanic then go listening to mainstream country, rap, or pop.

What are some indications that you guys have to tell if someone has no taste in music?

This isn't the 80s anymore, now if you listen to rock your called a redneck republican. 

ThatKyloRenGuy
1 hour ago, feckyerlife said:

This isn't the 80s anymore, now if you listen to rock your called a redneck republican. 

Just the way I like it too! :)

Conici
On 10/7/2018 at 8:46 AM, Cutter De Blanc said:

If someone asks you what kind of music you like and you say "everything" but cant give any specifics

or they say they listen to everything except country and rap 

mr quick
8 hours ago, Conici said:

or they say they listen to everything except country and rap 

People who say this are the absolute f*cking worst. If I could eradicate anything on earth it would be them. Or capitalism I guess but it's a tough choice tbh

Jerking For Soup

I wouldn't go so far to say they have NO taste whatsoever, but people who hate music solely because it's new and different really grind my gears.

These people may say such things as:

"Hip Hop has ruined music."

"Everything after -insert year of choice- is terrible."

"Everything today couldn't hold a candle to -insert decade/era of choice here-."

Or their favourite musicians are ALL from a specific era or point in time.

To those specific group of retirement homers, your tastes in music never surpassed the age of 14.

mr quick

I agree, although there is a point to be made about the context of a decade. All of my top 5 musicians were at the height of their career during a specific decade, but this is because it was a time when this music was culturally significant, and occupied a large portion of the musical landscape at the time. As music moves on, some things are left behind. I love a lot of new music, but my heart is in the 1970s, when "art" pop music produced by and starring top-of-the-line ensembles was economically viable and sustainable, something which can't really be reproduced today. Not saying that top-quality pop doesn't exist in 2018, it does, but it's usually limited to few, top-dollar celebrities using their resources to pay for what would otherwise be impossible. The session dudes who played on "Off the Wall", "Aja", and all of those well-produced pop records, were guys who'd play and jam every day as a job - this translates into a very natural musicality, which unfortunately isn't the case for most people today. Networking is much more important.

Anecdotal comparison: I've had some German in school. I was pretty good at it back then, but I'm a bit rusty. Now, if I had been paid well to speak german for hours every single day, I can assure you that I'd be sounding like a native and a half 😛

BlackScout

If you listen to mainstream stuff. This is the only case for me.

Seriously, if you only listen to pop music, does it even matter what it sounds like? You wouldn't even care. You only listen to it because it's what's playing "out there".

Gatekeeping is stupid though.

Edited by BlackScout

Arrows to Athens
3 hours ago, BlackScout said:

If you listen to mainstream stuff. This is the only case for me.

Seriously, if you only listen to pop music, does it even matter what it sounds like? You wouldn't even care. You only listen to it because it's what's playing "out there".

Gatekeeping is stupid though.

I listen to pop, rock, metal (including brutal deathcore), electronic, a tiny bit of hip hop, and a lot of film scores.

Pop nowadays sounds crap. Most of pop is crap, to be honest, but there is some good pop music out there. When I do put on some pop music, I do so because it sounds good and catchy, not because it's "popular". However, there are some people out there who DO listen to pop because it's the mainstream stuff. I guess nostalgia also has to do with it because my sister jammed out to a lot of pop music 8-9 years ago, and when I hear them today, it sparks nostalgia for me.

Edited by Arrows to Athens

BlackScout
3 minutes ago, Arrows to Athens said:

Pop nowadays sounds crap. Most of pop is crap, to be honest, but there is some good pop music out there. I guess nostalgia also has to do with it.

Yeah, time is a bitch. We tend to see nowadays Pop as bad music but see...

Kids who are growing up with those songs will one day become adults. Said adults will claim that the music of the next generation sounds like crap and that nowadays music was the "bomb".

However, I do think that pop music has declined. Unbiased, really. It's the content that's getting too bland and superficial. But not like previous generations.

Lyrics are really getting way too simplistic and dumb.
I mean, Rihanna's "Work" is just her mumbling the word "Work" until the point she sounds like a toddler. Her style was evolving into different things which didn't sound bad, even if they didn't fit my taste. But now it's just ?????

Edited by BlackScout

Arrows to Athens
9 minutes ago, BlackScout said:

Yeah, time is a bitch. We tend to see nowadays Pop as bad music but see...

Kids who are growing up with those songs will one day become adults. Said adults will claim that the music of the next generation sounds like crap and that nowadays music was the "bomb".

However, I do think that pop music has declined. Unbiased, really. It's the content that's getting too bland and superficial. But not like previous generations.

Lyrics are really getting way too simplistic and dumb.
I mean, Rihanna's "Work" is just her mumbling the word "Work" until the point she sounds like a toddler. Her style was evolving into different things which didn't sound bad, even if they didn't fit my taste. But now it's just ?????

I agree, pop music is getting worse and worse. Hip hop, too.

But yeah, I do like some pop music, especially pop music from almost a decade ago, but that must be because of nostalgia. The lyrics are generic and about love and sh*t, but the melodies are good for the most part, and they sound good. Nothing wrong with jamming to them every once in a while. For example, Demi Lovato (my favourite pop artist who used to be pop rock in the early days), a little bit of Selena Gomez, a little bit of Miley Cyrus, etc.

One day, you'll find me listening to some Demi Lovato or Selena Gomez, and the next day, you'll find me jamming to some Infant Annhilator. I'm quite diverse. XD

I love me some Breaking Benjamin, too.

Edited by Arrows to Athens

Jerking For Soup

It's the matter of accessibility. Pop music that conforms to preset standards by consumers and the media industry lack a lot of the vision and experimentation that makes most inaccessible artists great due to the limits they put on their art. Artists may also dial back on meaningful lyricism, unique instrumentation and artistic license to spread their music to a wide audience. The more unique a project is the more polarizing it becomes.

Bands like Queen, Nirvana, The Beatles, Radiohead are all legendary and popular due to their most accessible projects, but those projects majority of the time aren't their best or most expressive because they had appealed to a wide audience and not a specific niche. Take "Creep" by Radiohead or "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana for example. They're the most popular tracks developed by two of the previously mentioned bands but are largely generic in comparison to other projects and tracks produced by their bands like Kid A or In Utero. It doesn't mean they're terrible, just plain, and sometimes uninteresting.

Music in many ways is much like video games. The most popular video games most of the time don't experiment much. EA makes a lot of money each year selling sports games that haven't really changed that much from the past games, probably have elements stripped out and appeal to a wide audience of consumers. Unlike video games however, music is much less objective in it's value. An alt-rock album might not have any value to someone who exclusively listens to hip-hop and vice versa, yet, a pop album might appeal to both crowds due to it having less figurative barriers preventing audiences from accessing it.

Pop music is not getting worse at all. It's always been a mixture of terribly boring artists and some great artists who come along and are recognised as being great. If you disagree, check Nickelback, Vanilla Ice, Limp Bizkit, etc. I'd rather listen to an entire Miley Cyrus album than subject myself to one second of a Limp Bizkit album.

You can also see how some pop artists parallel the past generation's pop acts a lot. Imagine Dragons or Ed Sheeran are this generation's Nickelback; boring, uninteresting, widespread and soulless. The mark of a true legend is one who innovates, inspires, maintains their footing and doesn't fall off into the bottomless pit of mainstream bullsh*t. They might be mainstream, but have not lost their soul and value artistic vision over topping charts.

Hikikomori-Yume

Music is entirely subjective so it's not possible to have bad taste , it's all personal.