Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    2. News

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

    1. GTA Online

      1. After Hours
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
    2. Crews

      1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA Next

    3. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

    6. GTA Vice City Stories

    7. GTA Liberty City Stories

    8. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

    2. Site Suggestions

George Walker Bush

Why I don't like IV (Rant)

Recommended Posts

Stierlitz
Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2018 at 3:23 AM, George Walker Bush said:

 

I guess I will start off with New Yor- I mean Liberty City. Most of the praise IV gets is because of Liberty City supposedly feeling "alive". Except it isn't. The pedestrians have extremely bad low-res textures, looking like they came straight out of San Andreas.

 

You do realize that textures and models take up memory? And memory doesn't exactly grow on trees, especially in 2008. Every ped and every bit of variation on your screen draws finite memory from your 2005 console; this means that texture detail sometimes has to be cut back. This is why some games on consoles tend to look amazing while others not so much. Contained games can afford sacrificing memory than more open ended ones.

 

AC has the upper hand of repeating peds to save up on memory, there's a lot more going on but it’s a lot less memorable and variety is non existent. So unless you’re staring through a magnifying glass and counting the pixels displayed by your 720p console; any sane human being would overlook a slight texture downgrade and appreciate the game for what it is.

 

In IV there are hundreds of peds belonging to different groups and subcultures. Not to mention nearly every ped has more than 2 variations, so it’s never really the same. They all have their own voice lines too and dozens of unique group animations; this is what makes the city alive, not 2k res rag textures.

 

I’d also advise you to tone down on the valley girl hyperboles; it’s not good for you. All it shows is that you know nothing about 3D modeling when you state that the only difference between a GTA SA and an IV peds are “only some round edges and some light from the background.”

1MfZYG7.jpg

 

There’s another thing you forget btw. GTA IV has a hundred uniquely made vehicles, Assassins Creed has a horse with stiff animations. Vehicles that move and physically interact in a huge city will always take up more memory than same looking peds wandering around a contained area and repeating the same voice lines.

I’ll take that any day over some game I barely even remember in a dilapidated franchise no one cares about anymore. Besides, IV probably has better looking peds too; the claim is down to your lack of fair judgement.

 

Go home Osho and pls buy a PC.

Edited by Stierlitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike

This thread is a lot like the War on Terror. It's a complete dumpster fire, and it's all Bush's fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Penguin Bob
10 hours ago, George Walker Bush said:

you autistic kid.

lol, where are your parents dude?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
Posted (edited)

948dd123efeb72b0e3383f5742a63a7e--commen

Edited by Arrows to Athens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T-ru
Posted (edited)

This thread is a proof that gtaforums is full of nerd kids.

Gta games must use electric shock through the keyboards/ mouses and through console controllers when the user is dumb kid!

Edited by T-ru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
9 minutes ago, T-ru said:

This thread is a proof that gtaforums is full of nerd kids.

Gta games must use electric shock through the keyboards/ mouses and through console controllers when the user is underage dumb kid!

There is nothing wrong with being a kid and playing GTA. many of us played the game when we were kids. I played SA back in 2004 when I was just 10.the important thing like you said is not to be a "dumb" kid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T-ru
5 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

There is nothing wrong with being a kid and playing GTA. many of us played the game when we were kids. I played SA back in 2004 when I was just 10.the important thing like you said is not to be a "dumb" kid. 

Yes, you are right, I'll edit, my previous comment :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WELSH_BOI_99
On 8/11/2018 at 12:19 PM, George Walker Bush said:

That's not a big time gap. They should have let the guys working on Red Dead to take over IV.

You seem very ignorant on Red Dead's troubled development. They couldn't just lend guys over. Plus it's really not that big of a deal.

Quote

"Detailed interiors" There is no original interiors. They're mostly copy paste. Also I think assassins creed is on par with IV.

Except there is detailed interiors. You just couldn't been bothered to properly explore. If you did you wouldn't say such retarded statements. Plus Assassins Creed is not on the same level at GTA IV. They are completely different games with different design goals you f*cking moron

Quote

 

Yet they couldn't spend time making the NPCs not look like they got gasoline spilled all over them.

Again you are still ignorant on this topic. Regarding memory limitations. 

Quote

You're pretty dense. You didn't answer about the gimmicks making Francis useless. You just made an essay on fictional people.

Francis ability is just an added bonus. The real focus is the morality of the choice.

Quote

Another lie. You encounter scripted giant vehicles in every car chase. That's a fact. 

You misread my comment you child. You DON'T encounter timber being thrown at you in every car chase. 

Quote

It's not slight pauses. They look at you for like 5 seconds. 

Seriously it sounds like you are making up claims  here. They don't f*cking stare at you for 5 seconds. Stop overexagerating to make your "criticsims" valid. They re not. 

Quote

Dude, when you saw this thread you just assumed I was V fanboy,  didn't you? I don't care about V. I'm talking about IV and how it's a sh*t game.

I didnt assume as much. I said your criticisms can be applied to GTA 5 more so than 4. Plus you literally asked me how 4 is better than 5.

Quote

Because I was comparing IV to a game that came in 2007 you autistic kid. You just brought up V probably because you like bashing it or you think I'm a V fanboy. 

He raises a completely valid point though. Assassins Creed regardless of the game coming out in 2007 its still  very different to GTA. Also GTA 5 is in the same f*cking series you twat. They even use the same engine. 

Quote

I don't know who you're talking about. But you can expect me to post in this forum more often.

Expect me to post here debunking your garbage "criticisms"

On 8/11/2018 at 5:29 PM, SmokesWithCigs said:

It was a joke lighten up

So was my reply. The joke wasn't really funny btw. No punchline or context.

On 8/11/2018 at 6:25 PM, George Walker Bush said:

Looks like you're breaking down friend. And I still don't get your point. I was comparing IV to a another game that came out a year before. You brought up V out of nowhere. Why should I care about V?

 

Because your "critiques" can be applied more to 5 than 4. You brought Assassins creed out of nowhere. The game is not relevant to the discussion.

Dickhead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WELSH_BOI_99
On 8/11/2018 at 9:36 PM, Stierlitz said:

You do realize that textures and models take up memory? And memory doesn't exactly grow on trees, especially in 2008. Every ped and every bit of variation on your screen draws finite memory from your 2005 console; this means that texture detail sometimes has to be cut back. This is why some games on consoles tend to look amazing while others not so much. Contained games can afford sacrificing memory than more open ended ones.

 

AC has the upper hand of repeating peds to save up on memory, there's a lot more going on but it’s a lot less memorable and variety is non existent. So unless you’re staring through a magnifying glass and counting the pixels displayed by your 720p console; any sane human being would overlook a slight texture downgrade and appreciate the game for what it is.

 

In IV there are hundreds of peds belonging to different groups and subcultures. Not to mention nearly every ped has more than 2 variations, so it’s never really the same. They all have their own voice lines too and dozens of unique group animations; this is what makes the city alive, not 2k res rag textures.

 

I’d also advise you to tone down on the valley girl hyperboles; it’s not good for you. All it shows is that you know nothing about 3D modeling when you state that the only difference between a GTA SA and an IV peds are “only some round edges and some light from the background.”

1MfZYG7.jpg

 

There’s another thing you forget btw. GTA IV has a hundred uniquely made vehicles, Assassins Creed has a horse with stiff animations. Vehicles that move and physically interact in a huge city will always take up more memory than same looking peds wandering around a contained area and repeating the same voice lines.

I’ll take that any day over some game I barely even remember in a dilapidated franchise no one cares about anymore. Besides, IV probably has better looking peds too; the claim is down to your lack of fair judgement.

 

Go home Osho and pls buy a PC.

^^^This so this. This should be common knowledge to gamers really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SmokesWithCigs
7 hours ago, WELSH_BOI_99 said:

You seem very ignorant on Red Dead's troubled development. They couldn't just lend guys over. Plus it's really not that big of a deal.

Except there is detailed interiors. You just couldn't been bothered to properly explore. If you did you wouldn't say such retarded statements. Plus Assassins Creed is not on the same level at GTA IV. They are completely different games with different design goals you f*cking moron

Again you are still ignorant on this topic. Regarding memory limitations. 

Francis ability is just an added bonus. The real focus is the morality of the choice.

You misread my comment you child. You DON'T encounter timber being thrown at you in every car chase. 

Seriously it sounds like you are making up claims  here. They don't f*cking stare at you for 5 seconds. Stop overexagerating to make your "criticsims" valid. They re not. 

I didnt assume as much. I said your criticisms can be applied to GTA 5 more so than 4. Plus you literally asked me how 4 is better than 5.

He raises a completely valid point though. Assassins Creed regardless of the game coming out in 2007 its still  very different to GTA. Also GTA 5 is in the same f*cking series you twat. They even use the same engine. 

Expect me to post here debunking your garbage "criticisms"

So was my reply. The joke wasn't really funny btw. No punchline or context.

 

Because your "critiques" can be applied more to 5 than 4. You brought Assassins creed out of nowhere. The game is not relevant to the discussion.

Dickhead

Btw IV is a bad game and you should feel bad for defending it.😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WELSH_BOI_99
8 minutes ago, SmokesWithCigs said:

Btw IV is a bad game and you should feel bad for defending it.😎

GTA 4 is a great game and you should feel bad for defending it. Now that's a fact. FACT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GiveMeLiberty78
18 hours ago, WELSH_BOI_99 said:

GTA 4 is a great game and you should feel bad for defending it. Now that's a fact. FACT

When I came across the Trailer 1 Remaster, I genuinely became a bit excited at first - I almost did a sex piss, haha! But then I realized it was just a really well-crafted what-if kinda video.

Oh and for what it's worth, the peds' models and textures seem alright to me. One thing I miss from GTA 5 is the player's ability to step off / slide off high walls and roofs, rather than just kinda plopping down like a big sack of potatoes. I'm surprised Rockstar did not animate that actually, given how many weird and wonderful things you can get the peds (including Niko) to do - and some of those things are really weird!

Edited by GiveMeLiberty78

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SlavicSquat
On 8/9/2018 at 3:20 PM, T-ru said:

@George Walker Bush  Tell me just one better open world game from 2008 than GTA IV?! You don't like the game because you are superficial. The things that you want from gta iv or v or whatever are still in the future.

Fallout 3 came out in 2008 with GTA IV. It's a great open world.

But better than IV? I don't know, those are two different games in many points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T-ru

I'll try to explain and to remind what is GTA and especially GTA IV to everyone (mostly of the nerd kids) who want or think about a substitute for Life from this game.

 

First of all this games is crime action like a crime action movies from 2000's; 90's; 80's and even from 70's.

 

The game is focused of the life of the main character and the lives of the people around him at this period of time when the main character make his moves (missions) after that

everything is one paused infinity, only the days and nights are variables, well this's a game it's not a substitute for Life.

 

The game can't be focused of the all lives of the map (city) because this's impossible to be created even if you have quantum PC, well, maybe in the future!

Even that GTA IV offer very intelligent and variables peds activities, activities that cannot be seen in any other games even today!

 

When you walk on the street you can see:

- Peds order and eat from the street hot dog vendors.

- Peds read books, newspapers, nervously smoking, talking on the phone or listen music from the headphones.

- There is a groups of peds whose talking between each other and when you pass through them they react!

- Electrical workers, Garbage truck with workers, ambulances, firetrucks, patrol.

- Cops pursuing someone who get cover and shooting, he can escape or arrested and carefully extradited to the patrol and you can see how he get into the car.

- Cops pursuing vehicles, angry or drunk drivers, vehicles with damage on them.

- When you push some gang member on the street he will start fighting you and if you show a weapon he'll start shooting you.

- Prostitutes and you know what you can do with them.

- Each area has own unique peds, with unique activities and reacts like hobos, costumes, gang members, shopping ladies with bags, gold diggers... etc.

- Peds react to the weathers, when the weather is sunny and calm the peds  are calm too, they walk slowly or sitting in the park, when the

weather is cloudy or windy the peds are nervous, when is rainy they use umbrellas and when is stormy with lighting there is almost no peds on the streets.

- Tons of quotes and conversations.

- Tons of interiors.

- Each weapon has own unique sound, shooting and damage!

- And much much more.

- And I talk to my self what a wonderful world!

 

Most of the users/players didn't notice these things because they are superficial!     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GiveMeLiberty78

Really good observations @T-ru. I like that the NYPD don't adopt the LSPD's 'hit, run and smash the living sh*t out of criminals' approach. Also, I see peds running for cover using newspapers when it rains, nice details before I plow into them in an overloaded flatbed armed with grenades!
 

10 hours ago, T-ru said:

- And I talk to my self what a wonderful world!

 

Most of the users/players didn't notice these things because they are superficial!     

Yes I do that too, haha! And you're not alone. I recently started a travelogue for this very reason - a kind of appreciation of all of the smaller details that become as important as the storyline itself. And maybe many console players do not notice these details so much - I mean, I can see more detail in PC versions but also I'm a methodical kind of player (yes I'm weird like that).

Edited by GiveMeLiberty78

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
D9fred95
14 hours ago, SlavicSquat said:

Fallout 3 came out in 2008 with GTA IV. It's a great open world.

But better than IV? I don't know, those are two different games in many points. 

Yeah, but Fallout 3's world largely makes no logical sense. Folks get food from nowhere and living in shacks for 200 years without rebuilding. It's pretty, but not very logical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SlavicSquat
1 hour ago, D9fred95 said:

Yeah, but Fallout 3's world largely makes no logical sense. Folks get food from nowhere and living in shacks for 200 years without rebuilding. It's pretty, but not very logical.

Yeah, I've never noticed before the major problem of this franchise. People don't rebuild, there is still no trees 200 years after the nuclear war 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
16 hours ago, T-ru said:

I'll try to explain and to remind what is GTA and especially GTA IV to everyone (mostly of the nerd kids) who want or think about a substitute for Life from this game.

 

First of all this games is crime action like a crime action movies from 2000's; 90's; 80's and even from 70's.

 

The game is focused of the life of the main character and the lives of the people around him at this period of time when the main character make his moves (missions) after that

everything is one paused infinity, only the days and nights are variables, well this's a game it's not a substitute for Life.

 

The game can't be focused of the all lives of the map (city) because this's impossible to be created even if you have quantum PC, well, maybe in the future!

Even that GTA IV offer very intelligent and variables peds activities, activities that cannot be seen in any other games even today!

 

When you walk on the street you can see:

- Peds order and eat from the street hot dog vendors.

- Peds read books, newspapers, nervously smoking, talking on the phone or listen music from the headphones.

- There is a groups of peds whose talking between each other and when you pass through them they react!

- Electrical workers, Garbage truck with workers, ambulances, firetrucks, patrol.

- Cops pursuing someone who get cover and shooting, he can escape or arrested and carefully extradited to the patrol and you can see how he get into the car.

- Cops pursuing vehicles, angry or drunk drivers, vehicles with damage on them.

- When you push some gang member on the street he will start fighting you and if you show a weapon he'll start shooting you.

- Prostitutes and you know what you can do with them.

- Each area has own unique peds, with unique activities and reacts like hobos, costumes, gang members, shopping ladies with bags, gold diggers... etc.

- Peds react to the weathers, when the weather is sunny and calm the peds  are calm too, they walk slowly or sitting in the park, when the

weather is cloudy or windy the peds are nervous, when is rainy they use umbrellas and when is stormy with lighting there is almost no peds on the streets.

- Tons of quotes and conversations.

- Tons of interiors.

- Each weapon has own unique sound, shooting and damage!

- And much much more.

- And I talk to my self what a wonderful world!

 

Most of the users/players didn't notice these things because they are superficial!     

I may as well throw these in here, too:

 

 

 

 

 

To avoid any bias:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Johnny Spaz

Post this on your main, pussy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SlavicSquat
2 hours ago, Arrows to Athens said:

I may as well throw these in here, too:

 

 

 

 

 

To avoid any bias:

 

 

I guess, this will end the thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GiveMeLiberty78

GTA 4 has issues for sure: graphical; technical (eugh, the install and GfWL!); possible inconsistency between storyline portrayal of Niko and events the player controls; and angry drivers who ram you impatiently, think that green lights mean stop and red lights mean go.

But, as I just posted elsewhere, I find the dialogue between Vlad and Niko hilarious in the mission 'Clean Getaway'. This is what I remember most from GTA 4, the funny, smaller details. Which reminds me, dumb yokel I am, I need to clean my "doirty" car 'cause otherwise Vlad will think me and my whole peasant family drive like this, but as he reminds me, this is not how we do things in this country! Ha, what great dialogue - I keep a save file so I can replay that mission for the cutscenes and dialogue.

So actually, there is another feature GTA 4 would benefit from having: an in-built mission replayer as GTA 5 has. Quicker and easier than downloading/swapping save files.

Oh, and I noticed yesterday that whether a good or bad feature, Niko discards empty guns. Too bad the mouse aiming lacks the precision offered by GTA 5. 10 years on but still no mouse fix, that I do consider a drawback.

Edited by GiveMeLiberty78

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Domac

You mentioned all those things, but yet, nothing about the sh*tty PC port. If only the PC port was as well optimized as GTA V was, that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GiveMeLiberty78
13 hours ago, Domac said:

You mentioned all those things, but yet, nothing about the sh*tty PC port. If only the PC port was as well optimized as GTA V was, that's it.

Aye, that is true but GTA 4 being a terrible PC port is a given. I find the mouse aim imprecise, for example - still no fix for that 10 years later! It is OK, not unplayable, but it lacks the precision of GTA 5's aiming for sure. Also, the terrible optimising of graphics - it runs quite well for me but it could and should run much better given how much headroom I have (using 1600/4000MB VRAM and my CPU bearly reaching >45% use and staying around 45-50 d/c under load).

But I consider myself fortunate that it runs at all. ENB makes all the difference in my opinion - without it, I probably wouldn't even use the DVDs as frisbees!

Edited by GiveMeLiberty78

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.