2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

George Walker Bush

Why I don't like IV (Rant)

George Walker Bush

Where do I start? The repetitive missions, horrible auto-aim, ridiculous voice acting, scripted car chases, boring side missions, or the horrible AI. 

I guess I will start off with New Yor- I mean Liberty City. Most of the praise IV gets is because of Liberty City supposedly feeling "alive". Except it isn't. The pedestrians have extremely bad low-res textures, looking like they came straight out of San Andreas. When you shoot up a tight place they don't haul ass like ordinary people would. They just use their crouch animation and cover their faces like they are five years old. 1 out of every 200 building is inaccessible. Why have giant ass skyscrapers if you can't even interact with them. The apartment blocks you can enter have no people in there by the way. Just 2 pedestrians awkwardly placed together. Star Junction (Times Square) is even more dead. No crowded masses, traffic jams, stores etc., Just copy paste fast food interiors and small car waves consisting of 4-5 vehicles. Speaking of the traffic, you're not allowed to drive properly. The pedestrians will honk at you if you stop at a red light or a stop sign, and proceed to ram your vehicle. That's a pretty big detail to miss considering cars are a big theme to the game. They also gave you this horrible dating gimmick. You see a dozen profiles on the dating sites. However there's only 3 girls that can be contaced. Not to mention the useless abilities. 50% discount on clothes? Why bother, I have tons of money. The other girl, Kiki, is just not worth even dating considering you have Francis in your contacts. Unless you want to listen her cringy dialouge. The last girl is also useless. Also Liberty City is supposed to have many life stories. Then why do we mostly hear about Niko's actions on the the news stations?

Next up is the combat system. 

Auto-aim was poorly done. When I try to shoot some mobster next to me, it just aims at another mobster 8 feet away from me. I move the right stick like 5 times and it ends up targeting yet another guy far away from me. The cover system is worse. When I try to hide behind a wall in the middle of a shootout Niko ends up spazzing out, hiding behind objects like plants or trash cans. Blind-firing takes 50 shots to kill a guy without armour. What about the guns? The guns are dull and really are not that different from each other (Can you tell me the difference between the AK and the M4 in this game?).

This game is also pretty easy because of the dumb AI. You can go in to a room full of hostile mobsters with a shotgun or a glock and proceed to kill all of them easily. They sometimes won't even shot you when you are are reloading or when Niko gets seizures and ragdolls to the ground. Just awkwardly point their gun at you and shoot 10 seconds later. The car chases are literally the same everytime. 

The side activities like shooting the pigeons, Stunts, Stevie's car exports, etc., Is not fun. 

Also at the beginning of the game you can tell right away that Niko's accent is fake. It doesn't help that he can't even speak his mother tounge properly.

I also have more complaints but I will probably write those later. 

Penguin Bob
Posted (edited)

Did you seriously make a WHOLE account just to make some silly rant that makes no sense?

28 minutes ago, George Walker Bush said:

I move the right stick like 5 times and it ends up targeting yet another guy far away from me. The cover system is worse. When I try to hide behind a wall in the middle of a shootout Niko ends up spazzing out, hiding behind objects like plants or trash cans.

You must really suck at shooting and taking cover. Not only to mention that the game gave you an option to turn off Auto Aim.

You can go in to a room full of hostile mobsters with a shotgun or a glock and proceed to kill all of them easily

That's just video game logic.

Just copy paste fast food interiors

That's basically every video game have. Copy and Paste interiors.

Also at the beginning of the game you can tell right away that Niko's accent is fake.

He was voiced by an American in case if you haven't realized.

This game is also pretty easy because of the dumb AI.

So you want the game to be pretty hard.

The pedestrians have extremely bad low-res textures

You probably have some sh*tty graphics card.

Blind-firing takes 50 shots to kill a guy without armour

What did you expect from blind firing a gun? Again, you must really suck at shooting.

Also Liberty City is supposed to have many life stories. Then why do we mostly hear about Niko's actions on the the news stations?

You will find other people life stories on the computer in-game and on the radio stations.

Edited by Penguin Bob

Penguin Bob

(sorry for double posting, i couldn't quote on the post anymore on my one post)

30 minutes ago, George Walker Bush said:

(Can you tell me the difference between the AK and the M4 in this game?).

Actually, I can. They both have different models, different weapon sounds, and if I'm not mistaken, The M4 performs more damage.

32 minutes ago, George Walker Bush said:

50% discount on clothes? Why bother, I have tons of money.

You should happy that you're even getting discounts.

32 minutes ago, George Walker Bush said:

The other girl, Kiki, is just not worth even dating considering you have Francis in your contacts.

She will be useful if you kill Francis.

33 minutes ago, George Walker Bush said:

scripted car chases

Aren't all car chases scripted?

33 minutes ago, George Walker Bush said:

the horrible AI.

GTA IV actually had the best AI. For Example: Unlike other GTA games, the cops actually arrest other people.

Judging by your posts, it seems like that you haven't played the game at all and just made some silly rant that made no sense.

George Walker Bush
9 minutes ago, Penguin Bob said:

Did you seriously make a WHOLE account just to make some silly rant that makes no sense?

Yes. I'm sick of people giving this game undeserved praise. 

You must really suck at shooting and taking cover. Not only to mention that the game gave you an option to turn off Auto Aim.

That's just video game logic.

Yes. I suck because the game can't recognize my movements.

That's basically every GTA game have. Copy and Paste interiors.

That's lazy. That's why I probably won't play V.

He was voiced by an American in case if you haven't realized.

Which is why I can't take Niko seriously with that disgusting accent

So you want the game to be pretty hard.

No. But it's ridiculous how brain dead the AI is. Which by the way you didn't respond too.

You probably have some sh*tty graphics card.

I'm playing on console. However the footage I have seen on PC is not pretty. They still look sh*tty

What did you expect from blind firing a gun? Again, you must really suck at shooting.

What a useless feature then.

You will find other people life stories on the computer in-game and on the radio stations.

Most of the news are just crimes or people someway connected with Niko or the other protagonists.

There are so many things that you listed off that isn't true or just plain lousy.

Care to explain? You didn't respond to many of my points.

George Walker Bush
5 minutes ago, Penguin Bob said:

(sorry for double posting, i couldn't quote on the post anymore on my one post)

Actually, I can. They both have different models, different weapon sounds, and if I'm not mistaken, The M4 performs more damage.

That's even more lazy. What's the point of having gun variety if the only difference is the models and sounds. They feel exactly the same

You should happy that you're even getting discounts.

I'm sure saving 500$ out of hundreds of thousands of dollars is worth it going on boring dates and cringy dialouge .

She will be useful if you kill Francis.

That's just cheap. What's the point on having a choice in blood brothers if both choices are useless only to be insured by a cheap gimmick. Anyway why would you kill Francis if you wouldn't get anything out of Derrick.

Aren't all car chases scripted?

Yeah. It's not exiting to have a giant ass bus or truck in front of you.

GTA IV actually had the best AI. For Example: Unlike other GTA games, the cops actually arrest other people.

That's not impressive. It also doesn't excuse their in-ability to shoot, cover, and act properly. Also the cops are freaks too. They will arrest you if you fight back. They also have superman-like vision and can see you behind allyways or behind a small wall. 

Judging by your posts, it seems like that you haven't played the game at all and just made some silly rant that made no sense.

I have played it.

confederatestatesgta

i love gta 4. but at the same time. i hate seeing all the hate threads about gta 5 so i dont care that gta 4 is getting some hate. while i will agree the game is not perfect. its still an amazing game. at least it is for me. also i do recommend playing gta 5. it is very good as well. while it might not be perfect either. it does have plenty of stuff to do on it. it also has a great story. it has a bigger map and you can fly planes. i could go on all day about that game.

anthony

You want to know where do I've stopped to read ?

"horrible auto-aim"

RetroMystic

Okay Osho, time to deconstruct this.

1 hour ago, George Walker Bush said:

Yes. I'm sick of people giving this game undeserved praise. 

Yeah I f*cking hate how people are allowed to praise a game they like. Good thing the warrior made an account to destroy us "fanboys".

Then turn off Auto Aim. You're blaming the game for a problem you can easily rectify.

That's lazy. That's why I probably won't play V.

V barely has any interiors. But barring that, it's not Rockstars duty to meticulously detail each and every Burger Shot and Cluckin' Bell in-game. You walk in, get health, and leave. 90% of players won't analyse the interior thus it's a waste of development time. Call it what you like but R* had better things to do then worry about making sure each fast food restaurant is different.

Which is why I can't take Niko seriously with that disgusting accent

Fair criticism. There is some HORRENDOUS mispronunciation and such. I don't think Niko's accent was that bad but he butchered actual Serbian lines.

No. But it's ridiculous how brain dead the AI is. Which by the way you didn't respond too.

This is game design. IV had perfectly balanced AI. They didn't have pin-point accuracy but they weren't push-overs, especially in larger numbers.

I'm playing on console. However the footage I have seen on PC is not pretty. They still look sh*tty

PC looks far better than consoles. This is a general statement, but it's the sort of thing where you have to see it in real life to appreciate the difference in quality. A 720p-1080p YouTube video will not do the game justice. Low-res textured peds are the fault of console limitations, not R* being lazy and such.

What a useless feature then.

This quote right here has convinced me you're probably be a troll, but I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt. Blind-firing especially compared to other games is extremely accurate, so much so I found myself often hitting headshots. Clearly this is an issue of skill, not a fault of the game. And blind-fire is not a useless feature. A game that heavily involves gunfights will suffer without blind-fire. The concept behind it is that you minimize your risk of taking damage compared to what you're dishing out. If you can't hit the broadside of a barrel behind cover - don't use the feature. But don't call it useless.

Most of the news are just crimes or people someway connected with Niko or the other protagonists.

How is this a drawback? Would you rather R* have designed hundreds of news articles 90% of players will never read? And the actions taken by all the protagonists are fairly news worthy. If you're really going to whine about how they're too focused on the characters you must genuinely be stupid. If a massive gunfight takes place killing 10 people, it's going to be reported on.

That's even more lazy. What's the point of having gun variety if the only difference is the models and sounds. They feel exactly the same

They feel the same because they're both automatic rifles. Damage, model and sound variations are significant changes. At their core, they're the same gun. 

I'm sure saving 500$ out of hundreds of thousands of dollars is worth it going on boring dates and cringy dialouge .

No one is forcing you to go on friend dates mate.

That's just cheap. What's the point on having a choice in blood brothers if both choices are useless only to be insured by a cheap gimmick. Anyway why would you kill Francis if you wouldn't get anything out of Derrick.

Because the decision to kill Derrick is based on your morals, not on what reward you'll get. A first time player is not going to know killing Derrick will give you a reward. To them he's just a junkie that has had it rough while this piece of sh*t Francis has pretty much had Niko by the balls cleaning up his sh*t. If you actually stop taking moments of the story out of context you'll realise they're a cog in a bigger story about Niko, his struggle and his hypocrisy. 

Yeah. It's not exiting to have a giant ass bus or truck in front of you.

This is personal preference, not a fault of the game.

That's not impressive. It also doesn't excuse their in-ability to shoot, cover, and act properly.

Cops take cover, shoot and act properly actually. It's like you didn't play the game. 

They will arrest you if you fight back.

Seriously is this bait?

They also have superman-like vision and can see you behind allyways or behind a small wall. 

GTA IV's police system might be cheap but so far IMO it's the best we've got. 3D era GTA had supercops too that could detect you anywhere on the map. I guess it's just game design? They fixed this in GTA V anyway so it's a moot point. 

I have played it.

Again, if this genuinely isn't a thread purposefully made to get people riled up, I do not in any capacity believe you've played GTA IV.

Willy A. Jeep

You've come to the wrong place to post this, and you're probably about ten years late. This subsection is, for the most part, populated by long-standing fans and players of GTA IV, and so biased in favor of the game, even with its legitimate flaws. Challenging that is silly. All you're going to accomplish is striking up arguments and strife, and that's pretty lame. People are going to like GTA IV no matter what you say, no reason to attack it in an effort to remove its "overrated" quality.

That said, you have some salient points, alongside some obviously wrong ones. Swinging between objective criticism and subjective tastes, all the while presenting your word as truth, is poor argumentative skill. I'd vote that GTA IV just isn't your game - too offensive to your personal qualities are its own - and you should recognize that rather than try to tear the game down. You don't scream and shout when you try a new food for the first time and find you don't like it. That's silly.

Hmmm nice bike

They also have superman-like vision and can see you behind allyways or behind a small wall.  

Well, Mr. President, while the cops being able to easily find you while hiding was annoying and something that V actually improved on, at least they didn't have the Robocop-like accuracy of V's cops. Nothing like speeding down a street and a cop standing nearby being able to hit you and kill you. And instead of taking too many shots to die, now they're dead in about 2. And if you didn't like the cops going after you if you defend yourself, enjoy getting the cops called on you in V for just standing next to someone. Lack of interiors is also a serious issue in V, since it's basically the same gun shops and convenience stores dotted around the map with nothing going on besides a clerk standing there

Also, the issue with the news never describing anybody else's criminal actions but the protagonists' is also carried over into V. And that was also basically the case in SA and the stories games (the only others besides IV and V to have news reports). Best thing to do in regards to that is hope that Rockstar stops this pattern by VI. And hope that they finally fix the AI instead of just breaking it in a different way and taking it to the next extreme.

Son of Zeus

Yeah it's a very poorly made game indeed. More of an interactive movie than a game. In the cutscenes it's supposedly the worst place in the world, crawling with criminals. But you don't see it in gameplay. You don't see random police chases like in SA. You don't see random gang shootouts. The city was oddly dull and peaceful.

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)

I have to say I disagree with many things he said but he had some points. 

One of them was the accuracy of the AI. while GTA V has a really accurate one, IV's one is all over the place. People call this realistic but it's not. Specially talking about cops. These are trained people. They have to land their shots but they suck at in game. I say an accuracy between V and IV is good for the next GTA. Also I hope R* improves upon what they started with GTA V that different groups of people had different accuracy(merryweather is far more accurate than the gang members) 

Also the auto aim is pretty annoying. It's not smooth like RDR and GTA V. that's why I switched to free aim from my third play through and the gunfights became far more interesting. I've been doing free aim ever since. 

Edited by TheSantader25

George Walker Bush
Posted (edited)

Yeah I f*cking hate how people are allowed to praise a game they like. Good thing the warrior made an account to destroy us "fanboys".

Yeah I do think IV is overrated. I also made this account to make make points why this game is poorly done and maybe post on other topics in the future. Not "destroy" you guys.

Then turn off Auto Aim. You're blaming the game for a problem you can easily rectify.

That's what I did. All I'm saying is that auto-aim was poorly done. I'm not just going to ignore it. If they did it properly maybe I could feel comfortable using my controller again.

V barely has any interiors. But barring that, it's not Rockstars duty to meticulously detail each and every Burger Shot and Cluckin' Bell in-game. You walk in, get health, and leave. 90% of players won't analyse the interior thus it's a waste of development time. Call it what you like but R* had better things to do then worry about making sure each fast food restaurant is different.

Why are you talking about V? I wasn't specifically talking about the details in fast food interiors. I was talking about how Star Junction was filled with no unique interiors other than Burger shot and Cluckin' bell. 

Fair criticism. There is some HORRENDOUS mispronunciation and such. I don't think Niko's accent was that bad but he butchered actual Serbian lines.

Ok.

This is game design. IV had perfectly balanced AI. They didn't have pin-point accuracy but they weren't push-overs, especially in larger numbers.

Wrong. They will stand there awkwardly and just look at you when you reload or when you are spazzing out. I could easily have beaten this game with a glock.

PC looks far better than consoles. This is a general statement, but it's the sort of thing where you have to see it in real life to appreciate the difference in quality. A 720p-1080p YouTube video will not do the game justice. Low-res textured peds are the fault of console limitations, not R* being lazy and such.

All I know is that it makes less believable. I also don't think it's because of console limitations. They could have done much more.

This quote right here has convinced me you're probably be a troll, but I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt. Blind-firing especially compared to other games is extremely accurate, so much so I found myself often hitting headshots. Clearly this is an issue of skill, not a fault of the game. And blind-fire is not a useless feature. A game that heavily involves gunfights will suffer without blind-fire. The concept behind it is that you minimize your risk of taking damage compared to what you're dishing out. If you can't hit the broadside of a barrel behind cover - don't use the feature. But don't call it useless.

It is useless. You can't blind fire guys 7 feet away. The bullets will end up nowhere near them. And those guys that are near you can easily be taken out with glock headshots.

How is this a drawback? Would you rather R* have designed hundreds of news articles 90% of players will never read? And the actions taken by all the protagonists are fairly news worthy. If you're really going to whine about how they're too focused on the characters you must genuinely be stupid. If a massive gunfight takes place killing 10 people, it's going to be reported on.

Yeah, they could have made news stories about the overseas wars, financial crisis or more believable stories. Not something ridiculous like a pilot getting high on cocaine. I don't mind the game reporting on Niko's actions. But 70% of the news worthy reports are somehow related to him. Why not talk about the Northwood dominicans or those guys on the LCPD database. This city is supposed to have like millions of inhabitants. 

They feel the same because they're both automatic rifles. Damage, model and sound variations are significant changes. At their core, they're the same gun. 

I'm sure they could of added some type of variety like recoil, more damage, modifications, etc., Why not have just one automatic rifle if they are both the same.

No one is forcing you to go on friend dates mate.

I know. But it's still a sh*tty and useless gimmick.

Because the decision to kill Derrick is based on your morals, not on what reward you'll get. A first time player is not going to know killing Derrick will give you a reward. To them he's just a junkie that has had it rough while this piece of sh*t Francis has pretty much had Niko by the balls cleaning up his sh*t. If you actually stop taking moments of the story out of context you'll realise they're a cog in a bigger story about Niko, his struggle and his hypocrisy. 

They shouldn't have given Francis the ability then. Also, how is it hypocrisy to shoot Derrick? He ratted his friends out, stole from the mafia, makes his brothers pay for his lazy ass and supported IRA terrorists. While Francis sends you out to kill actual bad people making the streets a better place. And he pays you with his own money. I don't think Niko would respect a guy who betrayed his friends. Considering the fact that Niko was betrayed by Darko.

This is personal preference, not a fault of the game.

Do you like out of place trucks loaded with timber suddenly coming at your face?

Cops take cover, shoot and act properly actually. It's like you didn't play the game. 

The AI will cover behind something for 15 seconds. And when you pop out they won't shoot you. They will take a moment and then just decide to blind-fire you. They hide behind flaming cars that are about to explode and so on.  

Seriously is this bait?

No? If some pedestrians decided to bash your skull while your health is low, and you fight back, they just randomly arrest you. Or the other pedestrians will call the police on you.

GTA IV's police system might be cheap but so far IMO it's the best we've got. 3D era GTA had supercops too that could detect you anywhere on the map. I guess it's just game design? They fixed this in GTA V anyway so it's a moot point. 

They could have done better. They didn't to have god-like vision.

Again, if this genuinely isn't a thread purposefully made to get people riled up, I do not in any capacity believe you've played GTA IV.

This thread is just my opinion of the game. I have played the game from start to finish and I don't think it's groundbreaking. Also why don't you respond to the original thread?

Edited by George Walker Bush

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)

^We have to take into consideration that the game was released in 2008 tho. Some of your criticism towards the city and AI is unfair. but Still overrated IMO. 

Edited by TheSantader25

ThatBenGuy

Hey OP, are you really George W. Bush? If so, that’s awesome! Nice to meet you! Tell Dick Cheney I said hi!

OT:

On the other hand, I don’t necessarily agree with you on most of what you have to say about GTA IV. No video game is perfect. I also truly believe that Niko’s accent being horrible is just an opinion, not a fact. To me, it’s actually pretty good, but once again, it’s solely an opinion, I ain’t giving out facts nor am I claiming to. I do like the auto-aim but it still has some flaws in it, I will admit. For me, the biggest problem with this game is having to start all over whenever you fail a mission. With a lot of stuff, you’re simply just overanalyzing. Video games, just like cartoons, don’t need to be overanalyzed as they’re clearly fictional. A little bit of analyzation is okay, but not when it’s overdone. I’m against overanalyzation when it comes to ANY video game, NOT just IV!

Also, I’m pretty sure that just like with V, there’s an official whine and complain thread for IV so this thread is kinda redundant. Just saying.

TheSantader25
6 hours ago, ThatBenGuy said:

Hey OP, are you really George W. Bush? If so, that’s awesome! Nice to meet you! Tell Dick Cheney I said hi!

OT:

On the other hand, I don’t necessarily agree with you on most of what you have to say about GTA IV. No video game is perfect. I also truly believe that Niko’s accent being horrible is just an opinion, not a fact. To me, it’s actually pretty good, but once again, it’s solely an opinion, I ain’t giving out facts nor am I claiming to. I do like the auto-aim but it still has some flaws in it, I will admit. For me, the biggest problem with this game is having to start all over whenever you fail a mission. With a lot of stuff, you’re simply just overanalyzing. Video games, just like cartoons, don’t need to be overanalyzed as they’re clearly fictional. A little bit of analyzation is okay, but not when it’s overdone. I’m against overanalyzation when it comes to ANY video game, NOT just IV!

Also, I’m pretty sure that just like with V, there’s an official whine and complain thread for IV so this thread is kinda redundant. Just saying.

Well you better take your advice for V as well since you overanalyze it a lot. Especially you seem obsessed with criticism towards trevor in the whine thread so... 

Gtamaster67

Personally I love GTA IV and it will always be a classic. But the game was made in 2008 and it was the FIRST HD universe in GTA history, so yea it sucked but it definitely was a classic. A lot of the problems in GTA IV were fixed in GTA V. So tell me why this game franchise is "trash" and each texture is just a copy paste in each game. This game was a gem in its time. I still own pretty much every old GTA game along with GTA V and I can see change and positive development in each game. 

SmokesWithCigs

Gta 4 SSUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laker23

Well, you made at least one point that was extremely valid, two if I'm reaching somewhat.

I'm sure you'll get the validation you seek from the resident IV bashers. I do hope to see more of your opinions on the forums, unless this was the sole reason you joined.

WELSH_BOI_99
7 hours ago, George Walker Bush said:

Yeah I do think IV is overrated. I also made this account to make make points why this game is poorly done and maybe post on other topics in the future. Not "destroy" you guys.

Your reasoning is pretty sh*t though. All of your "critiques" are just mindless nitpicks

That's what I did. All I'm saying is that auto-aim was poorly done. I'm not just going to ignore it. If they did it properly maybe I could feel comfortable using my controller again.

Your complaints on the "Auto Aim" is just you being bad at shooting. Auto Aim works just fine for me.

Why are you talking about V? I wasn't specifically talking about the details in fast food interiors. I was talking about how Star Junction was filled with no unique interiors other than Burger shot and Cluckin' bell. 

The game came out in 2008. What did you expect. Plus its not just those interiors you also got the subways and the Superstar Cafe

Wrong. They will stand there awkwardly and just look at you when you reload or when you are spazzing out. I could easily have beaten this game with a glock.

Have you been playing a different game than I? I never recall this happening. They react normally when in gun fights

All I know is that it makes less believable. I also don't think it's because of console limitations. They could have done much more.

This is like complaining that Half-Life should have more character models yet the game came out in 1998. It was more likely die to memory limitations. There is only so much you can do with 2008 technology. Sounds to me that you have ridiculous expectations.

Yeah, they could have made news stories about the overseas wars, financial crisis or more believable stories. Not something ridiculous like a pilot getting high on cocaine. I don't mind the game reporting on Niko's actions. But 70% of the news worthy reports are somehow related to him. Why not talk about the Northwood dominicans or those guys on the LCPD database. This city is supposed to have like millions of inhabitants. 

Yet they do have stories like that. Again you're just nitpicking here. You probably barely listen to any news stories.

I'm sure they could of added some type of variety like recoil, more damage, modifications, etc., Why not have just one automatic rifle if they are both the same.

Well they are not both the same. They vary in damage and rate of fire

I know. But it's still a sh*tty and useless gimmick.

I disagree. I usually hang out with the friends in this game. To learn some dialogue and some decent character building. I find it charming listening to these characters stories and struggles.

They shouldn't have given Francis the ability then. Also, how is it hypocrisy to shoot Derrick? He ratted his friends out, stole from the mafia, makes his brothers pay for his lazy ass and supported IRA terrorists. While Francis sends you out to kill actual bad people making the streets a better place. And he pays you with his own money. I don't think Niko would respect a guy who betrayed his friends. Considering the fact that Niko was betrayed by Darko.

Oh boy here we go. Seems to me that you haven't been paying much attention to the dialogue and the story. First of Derrick is troubled and quite spineless but he is the most compassionate in the McReary Family evident during the Bank Robbery trying to ease the tension and being kind to the civilians.Plus he's committed to his family and the "Cause" he was fighting for.  Francis is quite the same. Francis wants to be a good cop. Cleaning the streets and etc. However when it comes to his own misdeeds he covers his own ass. He only cares when he is not in deep sh*t. Also according to Packie and Gerald. Francis is just as crocked as the rest of the McReary family. Its about the duality of the two brothers. The Morality of Niko's decisions. You've got to know these people and learnt their struggles now you have to make a choice

Do you like out of place trucks loaded with timber suddenly coming at your face?

Are you trolling? How is that a fault of the game? Just f*cking drift away from it. 

The AI will cover behind something for 15 seconds. And when you pop out they won't shoot you. They will take a moment and then just decide to blind-fire you. They hide behind flaming cars that are about to explode and so on.  

Again I've never seen this happen in the game. In my experience They shoot and cover just as normally

No? If some pedestrians decided to bash your skull while your health is low, and you fight back, they just randomly arrest you. Or the other pedestrians will call the police on you.

The Police were programmed to respond to an attack done on either the Player or the NPC. Honestly I don't see this as a major problem. Its a minor flaw but its outshined by having the police actually arrest an NPC instead of shooting them. Again with your nitpicking

They could have done better. They didn't to have god-like vision.

Better by how? The Police are fine the way they are in the game that came out in 2008. As I said your expectations are too over the top

This thread is just my opinion of the game. I have played the game from start to finish and I don't think it's groundbreaking. Also why don't you respond to the original thread?

Well that's your opinion not a fact. The game was pretty groundbraking when it first came out with the physics and well written story.

Hmmm nice bike
36 minutes ago, WELSH_BOI_99 said:

This is like complaining that Half-Life should have more character models yet the game came out in 1998. It was more likely die to memory limitations. There is only so much you can do with 2008 technology. Sounds to me that you have ridiculous expectations. 

Agreed 100% on this issue that he had with the game. If the game was a PC-exclusive title, I'm sure they could have had way more NPCs in the street, more vehicles on the road, and NPCs with better character models. But for a game from 2008 that was on the kind of hardware that the 360 and PS3 had, they didn't exactly have an infinite amount of room to work with as far as memory and disc space.

George Walker Bush
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WELSH_BOI_99 said:

Your complaints on the "Auto Aim" is just you being bad at shooting. Auto Aim works just fine for me.

Auto-aiming is bad. Instead of aiming at some guy, Niko just aims at a random bystander sometimes. Even SA had better auto-aim.

The game came out in 2008. What did you expect. Plus its not just those interiors you also got the subways and the Superstar Cafe

That's not a good excuse. The way you're describing the year 2008 is like it's ancient or something. There are much better looking games around that time that look better than IV. Also every subway section is literally the same. That's how lazy they are. And lastly, the Superstar Cafe is not in Star Junction.

Have you been playing a different game than I? I never recall this happening. They react normally when in gun fights

They do in fact do this. Instead of immediately attacking my ass, they just stand there for a good 3 seconds, and then proceed to shoot you. 

Look at assassins creed. They have better looking NPCs than IV's. All I'm saying is that they could have done better. Also don't use that excuse again. 

Yet they do have stories like that. Again you're just nitpicking here. You probably barely listen to any news stories.

Yeah, they do. But what I was implying is that the news stations mainly focus on Niko's actions. 

I disagree. I usually hang out with the friends in this game. To learn some dialogue and some decent character building. I find it charming listening to these characters stories and struggles.

That's alright. But I was talking about the girlfriends. They try to hard with the satire that it's really goofy at this point.

Oh boy here we go. Seems to me that you haven't been paying much attention to the dialogue and the story. First of Derrick is troubled and quite spineless but he is the most compassionate in the McReary Family evident during the Bank Robbery trying to ease the tension and being kind to the civilians.Plus he's committed to his family and the "Cause" he was fighting for.  Francis is quite the same. Francis wants to be a good cop. Cleaning the streets and etc. However when it comes to his own misdeeds he covers his own ass. He only cares when he is not in deep sh*t. Also according to Packie and Gerald. Francis is just as crocked as the rest of the McReary family. Its about the duality of the two brothers. The Morality of Niko's decisions. You've got to know these people and learnt their struggles now you have to make a choice

Okay? What I originally was talking about was how they shouldn't have made rewards, only to be replaced by a cheap gimmick. I don't know what you just wrote.

Also it's a pretty big difference between killing outlaws and supporting a terrorist organisation that bombs innocent civilians, only to backstab their members to the cops.

Are you trolling? How is that a fault of the game? Just f*cking drift away from it. 

I dunno. Having to dodge scripted huge ass trucks specifically put in by the developers every now and then gets pretty repetitive.

Again I've never seen this happen in the game. In my experience They shoot and cover just as normally

They do in my game.

The Police were programmed to respond to an attack done on either the Player or the NPC. Honestly I don't see this as a major problem. Its a minor flaw but its outshined by having the police actually arrest an NPC instead of shooting them. Again with your nitpicking

My problem is that the cops are not acting properly. In San Andreas if you defended yourself, they wouldn't arrest you.

Better by how? The Police are fine the way they are in the game that came out in 2008.

By not giving them superman-vision, having bad aim, and being less hostile. That doesn't seem hard.

As I said your expectations are too over the top

Well that's your opinion not a fact. The game was pretty groundbraking when it first came out with the physics and well written story.

Nice lie. I remember countless complaints after the launch of IV. 

Edited by George Walker Bush

WELSH_BOI_99
2 minutes ago, George Walker Bush said:

Auto-aiming is bad. Instead of aiming at some guy, Niko just aims at a random bystander sometimes. Even SA had better auto-aim.

You were provably just bad at using auto aim then. I never had this problem before. When I want to aim at someone. It locks.

That's not a good excuse. The way you're describing the year 2008 is like it's ancient or something. There are much better looking games around that time that look better than IV. Also every subway section is literally the same. That's how lazy they are. And lastly, the Superstar Cafe is not in Star Junction.

From a technical standpoint we did came a long way since 2008. Plus saying that there were "much better games around" is really not a good point. Games are built differently. Different game engines, coding and etc. Looking at much better games at that time they could've sacrificed a lot for it to be possible. Look at Deus Ex and Deus Ex:Invisible War. Deus Ex came out in 2000. The graphics were pretty bad. Even for its time however the game was filled with the brink of content. It was coded and developed with the PC in mind. When Deus Ex Invisible War came around in 2003. It was made for the original Xbox. The graphics were much better but the game was really badly streamlined. The maps and RPG were considerably weaker than the original Deus Ex. My point is that not ever game is coded and developed similarly. GTA 4 was developed for PS3 and Xbox 360. Considerable weaker than the PC at the time. Less Memory and etc. However it was still impressive that they managed to pull the game off they way they did. Plus I was talking about the Subway entrances. They are all different. Plus the subway system is one of the best subways systems I've seen in an Open world game.  Hell the stations may all look the same but the way they coded a completely complex systems with times, different coloured tracks and etc was really impressive.

They do in fact do this. Instead of immediately attacking my ass, they just stand there for a good 3 seconds, and then proceed to shoot you.

You were probably referring to when you Aim at a Police officer. They are not going to immediately shoot your ass. If you point a gun at them. They are going to shout at you to put the gun down.

Look at assassins creed. They have better looking NPCs than IV's. All I'm saying is that they could have done better. Also don't use that excuse again. 

God you are clueless on game development. As I said before. Games are coded differently. They are all not going to end up with the same result. Assassins Creed is not developed the same way as GTA IV. They don't even have the same f*cking engine. I'm using that "excuse" because its a f*cking fact. 

Yeah, they do. But what I was implying is that the news stations mainly focus on Niko's actions. 

Its a deliberate game design choice. It supposed to show that Niko's (Your) actions affected the city and city is responding to it. I don't see how this is a big deal

That's alright. But I was talking about the girlfriends. They try to hard with the satire that it's really goofy at this point.

Not as bad as GTA 5 though. The Girlfriends in the game are harmless.

Okay? What I originally was talking about was how they shouldn't have made rewards, only to be replaced by a cheap gimmick. I don't know what you just wrote.

You know damn well what I wrote. The reward is just an added bonus since killing Derrick was completely pointless not from a critical standpoint since it was well done but more of a plot standpoint. Killing Derrick wouldn't be a benefit on the McReary's at all. Francis wanted him dead due to a personal vendetta. He doesn't give good reasons 

Also it's a pretty big difference between killing outlaws and supporting a terrorist organisation that bombs innocent civilians, only to backstab their members to the cops.

No one in GTA 4 (Well maybe except Kate) was a morally good person that's the whole point. Derrick could've done messed up sh*t in his past. But so did Francis and Niko. Niko committed war crimes when he was in Yugoslavia. And Francis was responsible for a death of a seemingly innocent Lawyer because he had damaging dirt on him. If that's your reason for killing Derrick. Then that's your reason however its far from the right choice. Either choice is not good from a moral standpoint since they are both bad people. 

I dunno. Having to dodge scripted huge ass trucks specifically put in by the developers every now and then gets pretty repetitive.

You only encounter a selected few trucks in scripted chasing missions. That's hardly repetitive. 

They do in my game.

Then you might have issues on how you play the game then.

My problem is that the cops are not acting properly. In San Andreas if you defended yourself, they wouldn't arrest you.

Then you have a point. However I still stand by by stance that GTA IV's cops are the best in the series. 

By not giving them superman-vision, having bad aim, and being less hostile. That doesn't seem hard.

That's GTA 5's cops there. GTA 4 has the least hostile cops I've seen in the series. 

Nice lie. I remember countless complaints after the launch of IV. 

Probably because of the PC version or GTA fans complaining that it didn't live up to San Andreas. However from a technical standpoint the game was considered a massive hit. So nice try accusing me of lying. 

Penguin Bob
23 hours ago, George Walker Bush said:

Care to explain? You didn't respond to many of my points.

And I happily will.

The pedestrians will honk at you if you stop at a red light or a stop sign, and proceed to ram your vehicle.

Bullsh*t. I just tested it out and none of that happened.

Just awkwardly point their gun at you and shoot 10 seconds later.

So you want them to shoot you immediately? Like one person said, they will shout at you to put the gun down and THEN they shoot you. 

They sometimes won't even shot you when you are are reloading or when Niko gets seizures and ragdolls to the ground

Not true. Even if they did, you should be happy that they didn't. It seems to me that you want to fail the game.

3 hours ago, George Walker Bush said:

Again, if you think the auto aim is bad, just turn it off.

22 hours ago, George Walker Bush said:

They will arrest you if you fight back.

Either you're baiting or you're just a complete moron. Of course, they're going to arrest you for that. That's real life cops do.

12 hours ago, George Walker Bush said:

Why not have just one automatic rifle if they are both the same.

Then you will just probably complain about the game not having enough weapons.

Yep. Blame the game for not "recognizing your movements".

The side activities like shooting the pigeons are boring.

I might have to agree with you on that. Shooting the pigeons are kind of boring.

I also have more complaints but I will probably write those later. 

Please do, because I'm getting a really good laugh from this.

At this point, you sound exactly like this youtuber called DSPGaming who blames the game for his lack of skill in it.  https://www.youtube.com/user/DSPGaming

Ash_735
On 8/8/2018 at 2:23 AM, George Walker Bush said:

The pedestrians have extremely bad low-res textures, looking like they came straight out of San Andreas.

qSn1C3p.jpg

giphy.gif

I mean you can have your opinion but when your hyperbole  like this it feels like bait.

Hmmm nice bike
4 hours ago, George Walker Bush said:

The way you're describing the year 2008 is like it's ancient or something. There are much better looking games around that time that look better than IV.

This also feels like bait, considering how the only other games that looked better at that time were either not open world, or open world but nowhere near the scale of GTA.

RetroMystic
53 minutes ago, Ash_735 said:

I mean you can have your opinion but when your hyperbole  like this it feels like bait.

25 minutes ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

This also feels like bait, considering how the only other games that looked better at that time were either not open world, or open world but nowhere near the scale of GTA.

This guy opens an account and immediately starts tearing into IV in the forum that would spark the most argument. I'd be surprised if this wasn't bait.

WELSH_BOI_99
4 hours ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

Its either that or he was ridiculously naive on how Video Games are made. (Or both)  I did get a bit of a laugh of that "complaint" though lol

Jeansowaty

I don't wanna get caught up in this but I just wanna copy-paste my opinion regarding Derrick from another topic.

I find it nice that someone bumped this thread (https://gtaforums.com/topic/512177-should-i-kill-francis-or-derrick) as I was about to ask in a similar matter: Why do people spare Derrick over Francis? (beware of spoilers, but eh, everyone completed the game anyway)

Both of them in my opinion are far from being saints and are miserable bastards. However, there are some reasons which made me believe that killing Derrick is the canon choice. Derrick wasn't betrayed, no. HE was the one to be the traitor. He f*cked over his old drinking buddies and ratted them out to the cops. He was about to do this with his brother as well, he would snitch on his freaking brother, come on. I don't have any siblings but to be fair, if my brother would be a real dickhead and wouldn't care about me, I still wouldn't betray him. He would sell out everyone, Packie, Niko, Kate, his mother just fora couple of bucks to get more smack.

Now Francis, he may have been the worse one for Niko, blackmailing him and whatnot, but you gotta admit, he fits in the crazy McReary family like a glove - as Niko put it "you're a crook hiding behind a badge". But apart from that, he only ordered people to get killed who might have revealed his wrongdoings to daylight. Now if I look at it, that's really similar to his brother, he also tasked Niko to eliminate people who might squeal about his betrayal. Though, the targets whom he wanted dead were indeed a threat to society (sans for Tom Goldberg), pimps, drug dealers etc. Even if it was just to justify his actions, he did the community a favor to some degree. I'm aware that Bucky and Aiden were also criminals but come on, Aiden was an old guy who I doubt would do anything bad since he was imprisoned and Bucky, well, look at Niko. He was screwed over by Dimitri and wanted him dead. Bucky was screwed over by Derrick and wanted him dead. It's a normal reaction I guess.

Now, killing Francis yields you nothing at all, Derrick won't even talk to you anymore. Derrick's death gives you a total of 20,000$ and the ability to lose the cops until the end of the game (remember, killing Dwayne gives you 25,000$ but offing Playboy is far more rewarding, I mean, a penthouse, his Deagle, potentially his unique Patriot, Claude's clothes, Dwayne and his backup etc.). On my first playthrough I sniped Derrick outta random because a friend of mine whom I asked about his opinion told me to do so. I never regretted doing that.

So why is Derrick always considered the good one and spared even though he is equally crooked if not worse than Francis?

WELSH_BOI_99
5 minutes ago, Jeansowaty said:

I don't wanna get caught up in this but I just wanna copy-paste my opinion regarding Derrick from another topic.

Nobody is saying that Derrick is any way perfect. He's miserable old bastard. Like you said. Both are petty crooks.