2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Pilotmonkey

Why so quiet?

Pilotmonkey

Why do you guys think it's been so quiet about a future GTA game? If the series is continuing after V, where do you think the next game is in terms of development? 

KY Jello
Posted (edited)

Red Dead Redemption 2

Edited by Zello

RetroMystic
Posted (edited)

^ This.

We likely won't hear anything about another GTA title until the dust has settled, not on RDR2 but it's online mode which, if we're going off example from GTA:O, will be a few years at the very least. The earliest we can probably expect an announcement, whether it be a teaser or something else, is late 2019 but that's wishful thinking. 

Edited by RetroMystic

Am Shaegar

Because of Online there's been no news about the next GTA. It is still getting support so I expect the silence to continue, maybe next year in 2019 we might get some hints about their future plans.

Ertan Soner

I just want rockstar to say "we are working on it" but they don't even do that. 

DisCrafted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ertan Soner said:

I just want rockstar to say "we are working on it" but they don't even do that. 

Why would they do such a thing? We're talking about Rockstar here. Besides, you don't need much proof to know that VI is in development. Just use common sense.

Or if you're really reaching: https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/rockstar-came-close-to-making-grand-theft-auto-tokyo-1317622

A couple of other people have talked about VI as well.
They're never in a rush to make sequels. They like to take their time.

Edited by DisCrafted

Hmmm nice bike
32 minutes ago, DisCrafted said:

They're especially going to take their time now that they're aware that an Online mode can be dragged out for several years and the sales of Shark Cards can earn them as much as if they'd released a new game. Depending on how much longer GTA Online will last, as well as how long they plan on stretching out Red Dead's online mode, I think they're definitely going to wait on announcing anything that has to do with a new GTA.

DisCrafted
Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2018 at 3:56 AM, Hmmm nice bike said:

They're especially going to take their time now that they're aware that an Online mode can be dragged out for several years and the sales of Shark Cards can earn them as much as if they'd released a new game. Depending on how much longer GTA Online will last, as well as how long they plan on stretching out Red Dead's online mode, I think they're definitely going to wait on announcing anything that has to do with a new GTA.

Yan said AH 'might' be the last update but "we've heard that before"

They might do a couple of more updates after RDR2, very small ones. No more major content updates.

Edited by DisCrafted

Ertan Soner
14 hours ago, DisCrafted said:

Why would they do such a thing? We're talking about Rockstar here. Besides, you don't need much proof to know that VI is in development. Just use common sense.

Or if you're really reaching: https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/rockstar-came-close-to-making-grand-theft-auto-tokyo-1317622

A couple of other people have talked about VI as well.

Because I need "hope" 
I want "hey this is %100 official leaked picture of gta 6" 
I just want to see something coming from them. I don't want too much.

korhan332
Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2018 at 4:28 PM, Ertan Soner said:

Because I need "hope" 
I want "hey this is %100 official leaked picture of gta 6" 
I just want to see something coming from them. I don't want too much.

me too mate but we have to wait 1 more year at least we can see a teaser

Edited by korhan332

mrpotsworth

2 Years of RDR2 and 2 years of hype building 

baclaine
On 8/9/2018 at 7:09 PM, korhan332 said:

me too mate but we have to wait 1 more year at least we can see a teaser

and prob then 1,5 year for the first good trailer

MARKUS.
Posted (edited)

Because most of the people here had been through GTA IV, GTA V development and we know that...

- R* just announces all out of sudden their games. I remember seeing the tweet that announced GTA V in the bathroom while taking a dump and it was just literally #GTAV and the link for the trailer announcement image

- R* can let pass months or even a year of complete silence and all out of sudden say NEW TRAILER IN TWO DAYS

So it's completely unknown when, how and where. R* likes the religious vibe: "no one knows the hour that a new GTA shall come"

Edited by MARKUS.

Tonesta

I was going to write a long reply, but it turns out that Business Insider wrote an article about it just a couple of days ago that says pretty much everything I was going to say....

https://www.businessinsider.com/grand-theft-auto-6-playstation-5-2018-8

From a Business perspective, when GTA V & Online is still making them tons of money, and RDR2 is going to do so imminently, there is absolutely no need to hurry up with GTA VI.

The only strategic question is are R* going to try and bridge PS4 to PS5 like they did with GTA V? That obviously helped with sales, as many people bought it twice (although it would still have been a monster without it).

If they do want to do that, then it's just possible that they're working on it hard behind the scenes with a view to a late 2020 release. In which case, we might hear something after the RDR2 buzz has faded before the end of next year.

If they've decided that they don't need that bridge and are just going to aim for PS5......then best guess is a GTA VI release date around 2023 - and probably no significant information for several years yet.

DisCrafted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tonesta said:

I was going to write a long reply, but it turns out that Business Insider wrote an article about it just a couple of days ago that says pretty much everything I was going to say....

https://www.businessinsider.com/grand-theft-auto-6-playstation-5-2018-8

From a Business perspective, when GTA V & Online is still making them tons of money, and RDR2 is going to do so imminently, there is absolutely no need to hurry up with GTA VI.

The only strategic question is are R* going to try and bridge PS4 to PS5 like they did with GTA V? That obviously helped with sales, as many people bought it twice (although it would still have been a monster without it).

If they do want to do that, then it's just possible that they're working on it hard behind the scenes with a view to a late 2020 release. In which case, we might hear something after the RDR2 buzz has faded before the end of next year.

If they've decided that they don't need that bridge and are just going to aim for PS5......then best guess is a GTA VI release date around 2023 - and probably no significant information for several years yet.

You pretty much nailed it in that last sentence. That's exactly what will happen. GTA V is going to sell til the end of the generation which is 2020. They don't need to release a new title. And besides, RDR2 is going to be their main focus from October. GTAO might receive some more updates. Then in 2021, they'll officially announce the game and it'll be released in 2023. That would be 10 years after GTA V and it makes total sense when you think about it. Game development has changed. The gap between releases has changed as well. V took 5 years and RDR2 has been in development for 8 years.

Edited by DisCrafted

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DisCrafted said:

You pretty much nailed it in that last sentence. That's exactly what will happen. GTA V is going to sell til the end of the generation which is 2020. They don't need to release a new title. And besides, RDR2 is going to be their main focus from October. GTAO might receive some more updates. Then in 2021, they'll officially announce the game and it'll be released in 2023. That would be 10 years after GTA V and it makes total sense when you think about it. Game development has changed. The gap between releases has changed as well. V took 5 years and RDR2 has been in development for 8 years.

Also let's not forget they need some serious new ideas to revive the series that may not be possible in current gen. Also based on the criticism towards IV and V they really might take their time to deliver the ultimate all rounder GTA which will take a lot of time. 

Edited by TheSantader25

DisCrafted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

Also let's not forget they need some serious news ideas to revive the series that may not be possible in current gen. Also based on the criticism towards IV and V they really might take their time to deliver the ultimate all rounder GTA which will take a lot of time. 

With a series like Grand Theft Auto there are endless possibilities of course but hardware limitations is obviously always the main thing when it comes to game development.

Edited by DisCrafted

inkoalawetrust
10 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Also let's not forget they need some serious new ideas to revive the series that may not be possible in current gen. Also based on the criticism towards IV and V they really might take their time to deliver the ultimate all rounder GTA which will take a lot of time. 

I don't really think there is anything that is technologically unfeasible with modern day hardware unless they plan to actually recreate the entire continental US in a game or something but i doubt that. 

10 hours ago, DisCrafted said:

With a series like Grand Theft Auto there are endless possibilities of course but hardware limitations is obviously always the main thing when it comes to game development.

Only with consoles for the most part.

Then again GTA V was 50-60 GB large so if they made say a map 4-5x bigger than the one V has the game would be over 250 GB large from all the assets and loading would be hellish while porting it to consoles would pretty much be impossible without taking up most of their space or being far too demanding for anything less than a high end PC.

TheSantader25
47 minutes ago, inkoalawetrust said:

I don't really think there is anything that is technologically unfeasible with modern day hardware unless they plan to actually recreate the entire continental US in a game or something but i doubt that. 

Only with consoles for the most part.

Then again GTA V was 50-60 GB large so if they made say a map 4-5x bigger than the one V has the game would be over 250 GB large from all the assets and loading would be hellish while porting it to consoles would pretty much be impossible without taking up most of their space or being far too demanding for anything less than a high end PC.

The current generation CPU is weak as hell. If they want to move forward with the AI and world interaction they need a more powerful device. 

SkyGTA_User
Posted (edited)
Just now, TheSantader25 said:

The current generation CPU is weak as hell. If they want to move forward with the AI and world interaction they need a more powerful device. 

So, they're waiting for another generation of CPUs?

And also, Grand Theft Auto: Tokyo? I DON'T AGREE. Bring Back Vice! And make it great again!

Edited by SkyGTA_User

Ertan Soner
8 hours ago, SkyGTA_User said:

So, they're waiting for another generation of CPUs?

And also, Grand Theft Auto: Tokyo? I DON'T AGREE. Bring Back Vice! And make it great again!

Yeah, they are also waiting for ps5 and xbox two to release.

SkyGTA_User
On 8/16/2018 at 2:55 AM, Ertan Soner said:

Yeah, they are also waiting for ps5 and xbox two to release.

Rockstar is so dumb. no offense. why not just use the gta v's graphics?

RIGHT?!

Tails Prower
2 hours ago, SkyGTA_User said:

Rockstar is so dumb. no offense. why not just use the gta v's graphics?

RIGHT?!

GTA V uses PS3 graphics with some updates for PS4. I personally disagree and think it would be better to rebuild and use PS4 graphic capabilities as it is capable of producing

much nicer graphics if the previews of RDR 2 are anything to go by.

Hmmm nice bike
11 hours ago, Tails Prower said:

GTA V uses PS3 graphics with some updates for PS4. I personally disagree and think it would be better to rebuild and use PS4 graphic capabilities as it is capable of producing

much nicer graphics if the previews of RDR 2 are anything to go by.

But by the time V comes out, there's a possibility that we could already be on PS5 and whatever the new Xbox will be. If Rockstar continues to drag out GTA Online, and then if Red Dead's multiplayer gets the same treatment, it's going to get to the point that they may as well develop GTA 6 with the intention of releasing it on next-gen consoles (rather than making a half-assed game yet again, this time because the previous generation of consoles is holding them back from doing more than what they want to do with it).

Tails Prower
9 hours ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

But by the time V comes out, there's a possibility that we could already be on PS5 and whatever the new Xbox will be. If Rockstar continues to drag out GTA Online, and then if Red Dead's multiplayer gets the same treatment, it's going to get to the point that they may as well develop GTA 6 with the intention of releasing it on next-gen consoles (rather than making a half-assed game yet again, this time because the previous generation of consoles is holding them back from doing more than what they want to do with it).

Well let's hope they do but i have a feeling they might deliberately time it for both consoles once

again to try and get people to buy the game multiple times again but I hope not.

Yinepi
On 8/15/2018 at 12:52 AM, TheSantader25 said:

That's the same type of crap that happened with many games last gen. Developers need to stop pushing the hardware beyond what it can do and expecting good results. Just developed for what you have now, because future-proofing is an ineffective method and a flawed mindset.

TheSantader25
51 minutes ago, Yinepi said:

That's the same type of crap that happened with many games last gen. Developers need to stop pushing the hardware beyond what it can do and expecting good results. Just developed for what you have now, because future-proofing is an ineffective method and a flawed mindset.

I rather have a completely new and innovative experience than sth we already had. That's why I am patient for the next GTA. I can wait till 2022 or 2023 if necessary. Because this series needs to move on forward. Not the same old stuff. 

Yinepi
1 minute ago, TheSantader25 said:

I rather have a completely new and innovative experience than sth we already had. That's why I am patient for the next GTA. I can wait till 2022 or 2023 if necessary. Because this series needs to move on forward. Not the same old stuff. 

I agree with that the series needs to try new stuff, but they can try new stuff with current hardware. I mean it's not really a one or the other thing.

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Yinepi said:

I agree with that the series needs to try new stuff, but they can try new stuff with current hardware. I mean it's not really a one or the other thing.

Yes but they are limited. I'm not talking just a couple of new things. I want more. There's loads of things I wish to see in VI and I don't think they can do them on current gen. They can. But it will be half assed. 

Edited by TheSantader25