4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
M.K.N.

Wikia (or FANDOM By Wikia)

M.K.N.

Since there's no thread regarding Wikia, I figured a thread should be made.

Wikia used to be great, since there was a lot to discover, except dead and abandoned ones because the Wikia staff refuse to remove it, even though owners had long ditched their own Wikia sites because of no interest. But, this year, once Wikia had removed Monobook (which was pretty eye-catching and easy to use) and replaced it with Oasis as a permanent skin (which is an eyesore in itself) as a result of "GDPR" or however you call it (in other words, Wikia simply doesn't give a sh*t to their consumers anymore). It seems it's hard to get used to an interface that's basically unappealing to the eyes of people who are used to a more simplistic skin, aka Monobook, but it seems the dark age of Wikia has already commenced. And despite the community's negative responses, it seems their plea had fallen on deaf ears.

On a side note, I've grown to not like GTA Wiki because apparently, even correct edits are usually reverted because they don't appreciate edits that are considered too good for them.:facedesk:

What are your opinions about Wikia? Have they made it better, or have they crossed over the dark side and paid more attention to their personal profit than their consumers?

Sanches

Terraria was a real Wikia visits simulator for me. I also were doing small posts in TF2 Wiki. That's all my experience.

DOUGL4S1

Used to be an admin on a Wikia (technically still am, but lost interest in its main subject so...) and revisiting it now is just awful. Fandom is trying to push other Wiki's contents onto you, even tho you have no interest in it, the new UI is pretty weird and it's impossible to browse it without an adblock.

I really don't know how GTA Wikia is now, I've made very few edits on it and so far my experience has been great, and I'm thankful the Wiki about a series I used to love is still doing great.

M.K.N.
2 hours ago, DOUGL4S1 said:

Used to be an admin on a Wikia (technically still am, but lost interest in its main subject so...) and revisiting it now is just awful. Fandom is trying to push other Wiki's contents onto you, even tho you have no interest in it, the new UI is pretty weird and it's impossible to browse it without an adblock.

I really don't know how GTA Wikia is now, I've made very few edits on it and so far my experience has been great, and I'm thankful the Wiki about a series I used to love is still doing great.

GTA Wiki is still there, but there's one user who doesn't like things too correct and just reverts every edit spotted. It's just unnerving really.

I should know; I was a regular editor for GTA Wiki. Still am, but my activities are becoming sparse as a result.

uNi

Nico

Been a small moderator on a spanish GTA wikia nearly a decade ago. Back then I didn't realize it, but fan content and misinformation aren't exactly new things when it comes to fan wikias, I recall those things were already present when I took my part on that project. Not to mention how annoying is to see content from other wikias you absolutely don't give a damn about, but because they are about "mainstream things" they are gonna shovel them into your face because they can.

I haven't visited it in a long while, but the closest thing to a perfect wikia is -or was, I don't really know- the TF2 wikia, and that's because Valve maintained it themselves with their own domain and staff. Dunno if that has changed, and I don't really care since I haven't played TF2 in years.