3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Castle Rock

darthYENIK

Castle Rock is basically like if you took all of Stephen King’s books and put them into one tv show, not unlike if you went to a convenience store and poured all the fountain drinks into one cup.  Well, maybe not exactly.  Here’s the official Hulu synopsis...

“A psychological-horror series set in the Stephen King multiverse, Castle Rock combines the mythological scale and intimate character storytelling of King’s best-loved works, weaving an epic saga of darkness and light, played out on a few square miles of Maine woodland. The fictional Maine town of Castle Rock has figured prominently in King’s literary career: Cujo, The Dark Half, IT and Needful Things, as well as novella The Body and numerous short stories such as Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption are either set there or contain references to Castle Rock. Castle Rock is an original suspense/thriller — a first-of-its-kind reimagining that explores the themes and worlds uniting the entire King canon, while brushing up against some of his most iconic and beloved stories.”

So far, three episodes in (the fourth just released, and I’ve yet to watch), it’s more “Shawshank” than say “It”.  Less paranormal and more psychological.  But, things are popping up.  A dead dog is dug from a grave because it’s believed it might have come back to life and rummaged through some garbage.  A character is named “Jackie Torrance”, and is possibly related to those Torrances.  I’m sure there’s a bunch more little Easter eggs, but I’m not a huge King fan.  I just know the big ones from their movies.

I’d love it is Sissy Spacek turned out to be Carrie, but grown old and changed her name.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched the trailer. Looks pretty good. Love the setting. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone watch this one to the end? The internet seems pretty pissed about how the finale went down. Wondering what everyone's thoughts were?

I'll put my thoughts in spoilers.

First off I don't regret having watched the show and I'll be there to watch Season Two. That said, I'm more than a little upset at the lack of answers.

I'm fine with a slightly vague ending to a story but with Castle Rock, as much as they tried to bill it as a psychological thriller it was more a mystery show than anything else. The main mystery being who/what is the kid in the cage. To go the entire season without answering that question and asking a few more in the finale is like doing a murder mystery story where at the end your left with more suspects than you had at the beginning.

What bugs me even more is that the Writers did an interview with Variety saying that certain things they did in the finale were planting pieces of lore that would be built on in later seasons but that all future seasons would have the same subjective feel to them.

Meaning, they're always gonna leave us hanging. They're always gonna make it so that we leave the last episode feeling the same way as we did when we left the first episode. That's not good storytelling in my opinion. 

It ended like many King stories.  Not happy.  Not particularly fulfilling.  What do people expect?

1 hour ago, darthYENIK said:

It ended like many King stories.  Not happy.  Not particularly fulfilling.  What do people expect?

When everything about a story revolves around a mystery I expect that mystery to be solved by the end. King stories tend to be about good vs evil and I can't recall one where you never know who/what's evil and why.