3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
uNi

Collectors Week 1 (GTA VC PS2 EN)

uNi

Every week will be adding a new item to our collector's list, adding as much detail as we can with your help, and talking and discussing a bit about it. 

Only the current's week topic will be kept here, you'll be able to find the previous ones at the Wiki's board

All listed items: https://gta.wiki/index.php?title=GTA_%26_Rockstar_Collectibles

GTA VC PS2 EN: https://gta.wiki/index.php?title=GTA_VC_PS2_EN

If you contribute with any info that's added to the wiki, you'll be credited here: https://gta.wiki/index.php?title=Contributors

Can anyone pinpoint a good source, for how many units were made/sold for this particular version?

ChengizVlad09

According to my (somewhat limited) knowledge, PS2 NTSC titles are mainly called 'Black Labels', don't quote me on that entirely, but if I remember correctly reading it somewhere, the term itself is coined in the NTSC regions, most likely USA. There's definitely nothing wrong with using this term for PAL and other PS2 releases, but maybe it's just more suiting to call them ' First Prints '.

Anywho, here is the complete, detailed info about various PS2 Vice City versions, thanks to Robert Allen Rusk from GameFAQs:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/561545-grand-theft-auto-vice-city/faqs/28209

uNi

The reason I used black label is because I think there's also a version with a white label cover. (can't confirm this, so I haven't added it yet) So probably not the best name lol.

I'll change it later to Black artwork or something.

uNi

For now I've changed version to 1.50, and added more info the to version page:

Barcode: 5 026555 300940 
A0100434023 - A511 18
VFC40278 
SLES-51061 
VER = 1.50 
VMODE = PAL 

ChengizVlad09
Posted (edited)

It is indeed a bit complicated following all these labels, editions, releases or what not.. Heard of the so called white label before, probably these are somewhat similar to " Greatest Hits" - NTSC/UC/J or "Platinum Hits" - PAL, and that's only for the Playstation 1, 2 and 3 games. PAL region is also divided into smaller areas - countries - like UK, Germany, etc, and all of them are slightly different. I'm not really familiar with Xbox labeling. 

So by releasing the game, publisher would sell a bunch of copies to the retailers and after the game prove to be extremely popular and retailers would have sold certain amount of millions to the public, that would be a pretty good sign for publishers to "reprint" the game as a Platinum or Greatest hits. Some sort of accolade as well. Usually people like " First Prints " or " Original Releases " more, they might posses better quality as well - better manuals and quality prints, but most definitely they usually contain everything that has been edited and cut off from the Reprints - re-releases, second editions and so on.. (Like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas; Hot Coffee Mod ).

Example:

GTA: San Andreas NTSC - First Print/Black Label 26.10.04

GTA: San Andreas NTSC - Second Edition (due to Hot Coffee, R* had to revoke all circulating DVD's, remove the 'Hot' content and re-release it again sometimes in 2005).

GTA: San Andreas NTSC - Special Edition 17.10.05

GTA: San Andreas NTSC - Greatest Hits/Reprint 20.02.06

We cannot go wrong if we check GameFAQ's, again GTA SA for example:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/914983-grand-theft-auto-san-andreas/data

I'm not sure about "White Label", but I read somewhere that those might refer to some editions similar to Greatest Hits or Japanese releases, really not sure.

I know " Green Labels " refer to GH, exclusively for PS1 games, wheres "Red Labels" are PS2 GH. Even though PAL Platinum Hits are silver colored I've never heard anyone call them "Silver Label". I think that the term " Black Label " goes back to PS1 era in USA-NTSC where (I think) all the first prints had black "frames" around the artwork.

Also, one more reason we can be wrong by calling this exact copy " Black Label " since the term is almost exclusively used for the Original Releases is not entirely because of the region of the release, but simply because it could be "Second Edition", or "Haitian-Friendly" version if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Just noticed your second post, yeah that's the first print definitely, but despite being the first print in Europe, '1.50 version' clearly indicates USA (NTSC) '1.40 version' is not only the older one, like the date of release points out, but furthermore, something is altered a bit. Hell, I'd stick with the " First Print " terminology, at least for anything outside classic NTSC region - USA.

🤣

Edited by ChengizVlad09

Helegad
11 hours ago, ChengizVlad09 said:

I think that the term " Black Label " goes back to PS1 era in USA-NTSC where (I think) all the first prints had black "frames" around the artwork.

This is correct, but also applied to PAL as well (probably JP too).

I'm guessing this is the same release as the AUS release with the "odd" OFLC logo.

uNi

How about the pc box, I have one with a shiny logo, and another with the normal logo. I'm guessing the shiny one is the first batch?

ChengizVlad09
Posted (edited)

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/561641-grand-theft-auto-vice-city/data

Yeah, shiny was the first one (PC) according to GameFAQs. I'm curious though, is your version rated 'M' or '18' since shiny logo can be seen only on 'M' rated (USA) version? At least according to them.

Edited by ChengizVlad09

ChengizVlad09
On 7/31/2018 at 2:43 PM, Helegad said:

This is correct, but also applied to PAL as well (probably JP too).

I'm guessing this is the same release as the AUS release with the "odd" OFLC logo.

By 'odd' you mean bacause it's not explicitly stated 'MA 15+'? Yeah, that should also be the first release.

uNi
4 hours ago, ChengizVlad09 said:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/561641-grand-theft-auto-vice-city/data

Yeah, shiny was the first one (PC) according to GameFAQs. I'm curious though, is your version rated 'M' or '18' since shiny logo can be seen only on 'M' rated (USA) version? At least according to them.

Mine has the '18'.

ChengizVlad09
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, uNi said:

Mine has the '18'.

Yeah, I could've guessed it would turn out to be that way :) Probably some minor cosmetic changes to the packaging itself that sometimes doesn't imply different version, just a minor cosmetic details that have been added or removed.

Edited by ChengizVlad09