2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

xHX780Fx

Is GTA Chinatown Wars set in the 3D/HD universe?..

xHX780Fx

Okay, to begin, i'm aware there was obvious hardware restrictions to mobile devices, and that the HD & 3D universe are separate timelines, and that GTA Chinatown wars is based off the HD universe, however if Chinatown Wars claims to be set in 2009, in the HD universe, why isn't Alderney present, sure for hardware limitations, but they could have just closed off the bridge to Alderney and make Alderney present on the map, rather then making it seem Alderney non existence.

Please share your theories down in the comment section, i'm curious to see your opinions.

Just now, xHX780Fx said:

Okay, to begin, i'm aware there was obvious hardware restrictions to mobile devices, and that the HD & 3D universe are separate timelines, and that GTA Chinatown wars is based off the HD universe, however if Chinatown Wars claims to be set in 2009, in the HD universe, why isn't Alderney present, sure for hardware limitations, but they could have just closed off the bridge to Alderney and make Alderney present on the map, rather then making it seem Alderney non existence.

Please share your theories down in the comment section, i'm curious to see your opinions.

(P.S: Apologies for being so late.)

2 minutes ago, xHX780Fx said:

(P.S: Apologies for being so late.)

Antonio"Toni"Hernandez

Well, I have finished it 100% last night after three days. I can tell if there would be an another island, I might not bare to complete it. Maybe, Rockstar were aware of this apart from the hardware restrictions lol. It might also seem irrelevant and nonsense if there were an Alderney and you could not enter it. Besides those, quite poor title it is in my opinion. I enjoyed Advance much more.

Helegad

I'm guessing they ditched Alderney because a). it wasn't relevant to the story, b). it's technically not a part of Liberty City, and c). as mentioned before, because of technical limitations and/or lack of effort. It's a little disappointing that they didn't do Alderney, but can you imagine how big of a dick it would be to have it on the map but completely inaccessible? Talk about pissing off your customers, that would be false advertising.

RetroMystic

This game was originally on the DS. It would be hard enough fitting the amount of content (data) that was ALREADY present in the game into that teenie tiny cartridge but having another large (probably unnecessary) island would probably have been too much. Not saying for sure or anything, but to me that would be the most likely case. 

What I don't see is how Alderney not being in the game would be evidence for not taking place in the HD universe. As stated by other posters, Alderney is NOT part of Liberty City therefore in all technicalities the full Liberty City is still present in the game so I don't see how it's really relevant and you're really asking two questions in your topic, Is GTA:CTW in the HD or 3D universe and Why Isn't Alderney in GTA:CTW.

By the way, to answer your question, Chinatown Wars is set in the HD universe. Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure it was confirmed by Rockstar, but even if I'm wrong regarding that, the same Liberty City that appeared in IV is present in CTW so that's really all the proof you need to conclude that the game is in the HD universe.

Nico

Chinatown Wars is part of the HD universe. Liberty City was just completely remade to fit within the limitations of the DS handheld which was the platform it was originally designed for. If you compare the maps of IV and CTW you'll notice they are roughly the same cities, but in CTW there are no curved roads, almost all turns are 90°, and obviously Alderney is completely absent. Kind of a shame, though, considering that in IV the triads had some influence in Alderney. Don't forget that food place called Mr. Fuk's that you visited during a Jon Gravelli mission.

Helegad
16 hours ago, RetroMystic said:

This game was originally on the DS. It would be hard enough fitting the amount of content (data) that was ALREADY present in the game into that teenie tiny cartridge but having another large (probably unnecessary) island would probably have been too much. Not saying for sure or anything, but to me that would be the most likely case.

CTW was shipped on a 128 MB cartridge, and as usual for the series, 80% of that is audio. "Lack of space" is never the case, if the R* devs ran into a storage hiccup in designing the world they would slash audio. GTA is all about the world.

Lock n' Stock
Posted (edited)

Alderney was removed for hardware limitation purposes, and also because it plays no part in the story.

That said, CW is set in the HD Universe. While no characters from CW and GTA IV trilogy officially crossover (probably because of completely different art-styles), the presence of CW characters being named on the LCPD's online database in GTA IV (along with details that foreshadow the events of CW) pretty much confirms they both share the same timeline.

Despite that however, CW does seem to take more notes from the 3D Universe gameplay-wise, with regards to the inclusion of crazy vehicles and weapons along with vehicle-based side-missions.

Edited by Lock n' Stock