1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

DutchSoldier

Would gta still be fun if its out the US ?

Would GTA Still be fun if its out of the US  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Would GTA Still be fun if its out of the US

• Yes
    • No

Big Molio

GTA UK wouldn’t need guns, we all stab each other to death.

Joaoseinha

@Grotti Vigilante 

I mostly named Africa because the vast majority of countries there are insanely diverse ethnically, I'm not comparing it to the continent. Pick out any individual country in Africa and chances are it'll be one of the most ethnically diverse ones on Earth.

GTA's structure has been a satire on American pop culture, but like many people have said in this thread already, you could do satire on any other country's culture and it'd probably work just as well (obviously depends on the country). Plenty of people don't get the references in GTA anyway, so using the argument of "people won't get the references because it isn't the US" doesn't really work either. 

The 2D era is obviously a different beast, but are you gonna say that the London expansion packs don't feel like GTA just because they're in a different setting?

In the end though, if they don't want to make a GTA outside the US, that's obviously their decision, but developers aren't always right. Let's not forget for example the developers of AC not wanting to release an Assassin's Creed set in Egypt.

Grotti Vigilante
39 minutes ago, Joaoseinha said:

@Grotti Vigilante 

I mostly named Africa because the vast majority of countries there are insanely diverse ethnically, I'm not comparing it to the continent. Pick out any individual country in Africa and chances are it'll be one of the most ethnically diverse ones on Earth.

I had a quick look before posting. Papa New Guinea would've been your best comparison.

GTA's structure has been a satire on American pop culture, but like many people have said in this thread already, you could do satire on any other country's culture and it'd probably work just as well (obviously depends on the country). Plenty of people don't get the references in GTA anyway, so using the argument of "people won't get the references because it isn't the US" doesn't really work either. 

It's not a matter of not understanding the satire because it isn't the US, it's more the fact that GTA's identity since III has been a parody of American pop culture. You take it to France and it won't be the same. Take it to Britain, it won't be the same. I'd love a similar style game in London too, but GTA isn't really the one to do it. It needs another developer just as dedicated to attention to detail as Rockstar. Heck, I could have Rockstar make an identical game so long as it doesn't claim to be GTA, but rather it's own thing. 

The 2D era is obviously a different beast, but are you gonna say that the London expansion packs don't feel like GTA just because they're in a different setting?

GTA wasn't as revered then as it is now. GTA London were also DLC packs, not fully-fledged games. I never played those add-ons myself, so I can't say what it feels like.

In the end though, if they don't want to make a GTA outside the US, that's obviously their decision, but developers aren't always right. Let's not forget for example the developers of AC not wanting to release an Assassin's Creed set in Egypt.

Developers may not always be right, but the fans are most certainly never a qualified second opinion to take. Fans of Star Wars wanted more films even after the disastrous prequels, and now we have Disney milking the franchise and putting out mediocre to rubbish films just because a few fans wanted them, and of course because Disney loves money. If the developers of AC didn't want to set Assassin's Creed in Egypt, they shouldn't have asked the fans in a poll, or they should've not toyed with the idea in the first place.

It's good to be in touch with your fans and consider their feedback, along with the general public, but if people like American Venom were the only ones listened to, then every game would be like GTA IV, or would be like San Andreas if they listened to people like TheSantader25. Both have their arguments for and against each kind of game, which are often well structured and sometimes thought-provoking even despite some elements of fanboyism (*AHEM* Don't ban me Mr. Venom), but GTA as a series is diverse in several areas, and ultimately despite the differences between San Andreas and IV, they are still full of satire and mockery of the American pop culture. That is what unites the GTA games despite their differences.

Edited by Grotti Vigilante

UndeadPotat0
6 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

This is true, but this doesn't mean that another scenario could not be done well. Think of GTA IV, you had black market gun stores which exist in nearly all countries (you can't legally buy RPGs or pipe bombs in the US btw.) and you didn't see anything of the American landscape, the diversity of American landscape is irrelevant when all GTAs take place in either big cities or the desert.

I am aware that a GTA in Belfast would not appeal to the mainstream, but from an artistic point of view you could make a great story and a great game in this setting.

As an international location I still think Paris would work best though to appeal to an international mainstream for various reasons.

@ Joasoeinha

related to guns and realism, GTA would actually not work in all countries, either because gun laws are too strict or countries are to safe, a GTA would not work well in UK, Japan, China or Switzerland

Certainly not everyone in the world knows Northern Ireland, but this is no reason why a game would not work there.

Don't get me wrong I'd love a GTA set in Belfast and the surrounding Antrim countryside but rockstar wouldn't do it bc it wouldn't sell sh*t. 

Zello

I'd only like Ireland in the opening of the game like North Yankton in V. Start it in the troubles with our protagonist fighting alongside Derrick McCreary in the IRA who went to Ireland in the 80s. They get in a huge shootout some sh*t goes down then the game switches to the main location a GTA version of Boston.

Edited by Zello

Joaoseinha

3 hours ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

I had a quick look before posting. Papa New Guinea would've been your best comparison.

It's not a matter of not understanding the satire because it isn't the US, it's more the fact that GTA's identity since III has been a parody of American pop culture. You take it to France and it won't be the same. Take it to Britain, it won't be the same. I'd love a similar style game in London too, but GTA isn't really the one to do it. It needs another developer just as dedicated to attention to detail as Rockstar. Heck, I could have Rockstar make an identical game so long as it doesn't claim to be GTA, but rather it's own thing. 

GTA wasn't as revered then as it is now. GTA London were also DLC packs, not fully-fledged games. I never played those add-ons myself, so I can't say what it feels like.

Developers may not always be right, but the fans are most certainly never a qualified second opinion to take. Fans of Star Wars wanted more films even after the disastrous prequels, and now we have Disney milking the franchise and putting out mediocre to rubbish films just because a few fans wanted them, and of course because Disney loves money. If the developers of AC didn't want to set Assassin's Creed in Egypt, they shouldn't have asked the fans in a poll, or they should've not toyed with the idea in the first place.

It's good to be in touch with your fans and consider their feedback, along with the general public, but if people like American Venom were the only ones listened to, then every game would be like GTA IV, or would be like San Andreas if they listened to people like TheSantader25. Both have their arguments for and against each kind of game, which are often well structured and sometimes thought-provoking even despite some elements of fanboyism (*AHEM* Don't ban me Mr. Venom), but GTA as a series is diverse in several areas, and ultimately despite the differences between San Andreas and IV, they are still full of satire and mockery of the American pop culture. That is what unites the GTA games despite their differences.

True, Papua New Guinea is the top one, but after that most of them are African countries.

And yes, it has been a parody of American pop culture, but that wouldn't even necessarily stop either. After all, most countries have a lot of influence from American culture.

They could make it its own thing, but I feel like that'd be so similar it'd be treading on GTA ground. It's not like with RDR and GTA where one takes place over a century ago, they'd be essentially the same aside from the setting (and cultural references), hence why I think it'd work fine as a GTA game. Could even have it as a kind of spin-off instead, call it something like GTA: Tokyo (or whatever fictional name they use to replace the name of the city).

And yeah, they were different times, but I think those games feel just as GTA-y as any other GTA game, despite taking place in a different country.

And yes, fans can be wrong too, but I was just pointing out that we shouldn't take the developer's words as gospel.

I think in truth we just have different ideas of what makes GTA what it is. For me, GTA's uniqueness lies in its gameplay (compared to something like Sleeping Dogs, which puts more emphasis on melee combat and is more grounded in reality than GTA)  and approach to serious topics (compared to something like Saint's Row, which is totally over the top). The satire aspect for me could easily vary between countries.

Aquamaniac
14 hours ago, UndeadPotat0 said:

Don't get me wrong I'd love a GTA set in Belfast and the surrounding Antrim countryside but rockstar wouldn't do it bc it wouldn't sell sh*t. 

I think it would sell simply because it is GTA, any GTA that is technically well made would sell well I suppose. Didn't the British imprison people on a ship? Imagine the game starting with an epic mission freeing a prisoner (or all of them) from that ship, the prisoner then is our main character and then let the plot evolve, a game needn't to be 100% realistic, why should Irish gangsters not drive American muscle cars? I was not aware though that Rockstar is British and that Northern Ireland is such an issue related to Brexit. A political question, do you think a GTA Belfast would rather bring locals together or divide them, or neither?

Anyways I never advocated that GTA should actually take place there, I'm wondering if a crime game could work at all in a town under martial law but since many people want a UK based GTA I thought Belfast to be way more interesting than London given its history, for me cities are all the same, London, Belfast, Chicago, Atlanta - what's the difference at the end?

What do you guys think about Paris?

Edited by Aquamaniac

GrudgefromSanAndreas
1 hour ago, Aquamaniac said:

They could include yellow vests movement, just like there were riots in sa

Zello
2 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

for me cities are all the same, London, Belfast, Chicago, Atlanta - what's the difference at the end?

Location, architecture, Geography, local culture, and history. The criminal factions there and how they operate.

Edited by Zello

Forza_GTA
7 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

it would be perfect 🤩

Oy7lK.png

Wolff

I would like it especially if you had a second character whose story plays outside the US, then you can keep the traditional format and have a neat extra.

Big Molio
On 2/11/2019 at 5:41 PM, UndeadPotat0 said:

It has been mentioned before this. I think the media in the UK like the Daily Mail for example, would create hysteria around the political sensitivities and a sh*tstorm would ensue.

You can just see the headlines "Ban this filth now! Sick videogame encourages children to become IRA terrorists and kill 'our boys' "

Edited by Big Molio

Aquamaniac
21 hours ago, Zello said:

Location, architecture, Geography, local culture, and history. The criminal factions there and how they operate.

This applies to real life, but can a game or movie transport the "soul" of a town into the game, isn't the location merely a backdrop or facade? A game has artistic freedom, factions and surrounding landscape needn't to be 100% realistic, a game can create its own reality which GTA does anyways.

BTW google for Almeria in Spain and watch the pictures in google maps, the scenery looks amazingly similar to GTA V Los Santos, locations are interchangeable, the plot and the characters is all it depends on.

Edited by Aquamaniac

Journey_95

If it's not set in America it wouldn't really feel like GTA anymore. This series is too connected to American culture since GTA 3, it's a huge part of what makes it unique.  Would love more open world games like Sleeping Dogs that don't always take place in an American city though. Watch Dogs here wasted a lot of potential, unlike GTA it really didn't need to be set in America.