1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

DutchSoldier

Would gta still be fun if its out the US ?

Would GTA Still be fun if its out of the US  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Would GTA Still be fun if its out of the US

• Yes
    • No

Joaoseinha
On 7/24/2018 at 11:19 PM, Official General said:

Look, if somebody says something incredibly stupid, it has to be ridiculed because they deserve it. In this case, I felt he did. I'm no saint, sometimes I just call it as it is, as mean as it may come across. 

I don't need to explain why GTA won't work in Northern Ireland; I mean come on, you're smart enough to understand why I won't even offer any kind of explanation. 

Dodging the question? I don't understand why that setting is so laughable, please enlighten me.

As for the overall question, of course it'd still be fun outside of the US. I feel like a lot of Americans on this thread are ignoring the fact that this game is played by millions of people around the world who aren't American and don't get all the cultural references in the game, and the game is still fun. The game would easily work in most modern settings if done well.

Edited by Joaoseinha

UndeadPotat0
56 minutes ago, Joaoseinha said:

Dodging the question? I don't understand why that setting is so laughable, please enlighten me.

As for the overall question, of course it'd still be fun outside of the US. I feel like a lot of Americans on this thread are ignoring the fact that this game is played by millions of people around the world who aren't American and don't get all the cultural references in the game, and the game is still fun. The game would easily work in most modern settings if done well.

America is the only country with such a leniency with guns and such a diversity of landscape. Also American culture is inescapable compared to, let's be honest northern Ireland which I'm almost certain alot of people don't even know it exists.

Joaoseinha
2 hours ago, UndeadPotat0 said:

America is the only country with such a leniency with guns and such a diversity of landscape. Also American culture is inescapable compared to, let's be honest northern Ireland which I'm almost certain alot of people don't even know it exists.

"leniency with guns"

True, but it's a videogame, that factor doesn't really matter. GTA IV did great with a more "subtle approach" to guns, having gun shops be hidden because of gun control in LC. Nothing's stopping Rockstar from doing that again.

"and such a diversity of landscape"

Firstly, no. The US is very diverse in terms of its landscape but it's definitely not alone in that. And even if it was, let's not kid ourselves, no GTA game presents a ton of landscapes that the US has. I don't see any GTA game taking you to Hawaii or Alaska. GTA 3? Cities and a bit of forest. GTA VC? Cities and a bit of forest. GTA SA? Cities, forests, desert, a mountain and a small swamp. GTA LCS/VCS? Same as 3/VC. GTA IV? You guessed it, cities and forests. V? Cities, forests, a desert, a swamp and a large mountain. 

Are you seriously trying to tell me that America is the only country with forests, swamps, deserts and mountains all in one? And that's not even considering the fact that most GTAs haven't had a desert. 

Landscape is hardly an argument. If anything, having a GTA in another country could provide new landscapes that we haven't had in GTA before.

"American culture is inescapable"

True, but once again this game is played by millions of foreigners, and if I had to give an estimate I'd say at least about half don't get a considerable amount of culture references in the game, so that's entirely irrelevant. 

And are you saying some people don't know northern Ireland exists? That sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by Joaoseinha

UndeadPotat0
1 hour ago, Joaoseinha said:

"leniency with guns"

True, but it's a videogame, that factor doesn't really matter. GTA IV did great with a more "subtle approach" to guns, having gun shops be hidden because of gun control in LC. Nothing's stopping Rockstar from doing that again.

"and such a diversity of landscape"

Firstly, no. The US is very diverse in terms of its landscape but it's definitely not alone in that. And even if it was, let's not kid ourselves, no GTA game presents a ton of landscapes that the US has. I don't see any GTA game taking you to Hawaii or Alaska. GTA 3? Cities and a bit of forest. GTA VC? Cities and a bit of forest. GTA SA? Cities, forests, desert, a mountain and a small swamp. GTA LCS/VCS? Same as 3/VC. GTA IV? You guessed it, cities and forests. V? Cities, forests, a desert, a swamp and a large mountain. 

Are you seriously trying to tell me that America is the only country with forests, swamps, deserts and mountains all in one? And that's not even considering the fact that most GTAs haven't had a desert. 

Landscape is hardly an argument. If anything, having a GTA in another country could provide new landscapes that we haven't had in GTA before.

"American culture is inescapable"

True, but once again this game is played by millions of foreigners, and if I had to give an estimate I'd say at least about half don't get a considerable amount of culture references in the game, so that's entirely irrelevant. 

And are you saying some people don't know northern Ireland exists? That sounds absolutely ridiculous.

How are you surprised ppl don't know where NI is? This is the masses we're talking about. And not to sound too self depreciating but Ireland as a whole is pretty irrelevant 

Joaoseinha
31 minutes ago, UndeadPotat0 said:

How are you surprised ppl don't know where NI is? This is the masses we're talking about. And not to sound too self depreciating but Ireland as a whole is pretty irrelevant 

Because it's in the f*cking name. Northern Ireland. Unless you're going to argue that people don't know where Ireland is, which is just ridiculous. It's basic geographical knowledge. Specially considering it's an island right next to the UK, which is still a strong world power.

Edited by Joaoseinha

Big Fat Paulie

I think a GTA game in a foreign location could be great, but it is something that would've honestly worked better in the 3D Era than in the current HD Era.

Part of the main theme of the HD Era is satire and social commentary on American culture, especially the concept of "The American Dream".

That being said, I would love to see a GTA game in London, Tokyo, or Moscow.

UndeadPotat0
15 hours ago, Joaoseinha said:

Because it's in the f*cking name. Northern Ireland. Unless you're going to argue that people don't know where Ireland is, which is just ridiculous. It's basic geographical knowledge. Specially considering it's an island right next to the UK, which is still a strong world power.

>UK

>Still a strong world power

Pick one.

Edited by UndeadPotat0

Joaoseinha
5 minutes ago, UndeadPotat0 said:

>UK

>Still a strong world lower

Pick one.

I'd say being one of the world's biggest economies, being a nuclear power and also having one of the strongest militaries qualifies you as a world power, but hey.

GTAStreets

Not happening

I'd say being one of the world's biggest economies, being a nuclear power and also having one of the strongest militaries qualifies you as a world power, but hey.

Not the world's strongest at all. :) not even close. Read up on your facts

nnot what you hear.

Joaoseinha
2 minutes ago, GTAStreets said:

Not happening

Not the world's strongest at all. :) not even close. Read up on your facts

nnot what you hear.

I never said it was the world's strongest, I said it was one of the strongest, which it definitely is. It'd definitely make top 10.

GTAStreets
Just now, Joaoseinha said:

I never said it was the world's strongest, I said it was one of the strongest, which it definitely is. It'd definitely make top 10.

It would definitely be a good idea I'm with you on that

Joaoseinha
Just now, GTAStreets said:

It would definitely be a good idea I'm with you on that

You completely lost me pal. I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Zello

The only foreign country I want is Canada 😛

Edited by Zello

Jimmy

Ofcourse it would be fun. People live outside of US as well. It shouldn't be too difficult to for Rockstar to do something outside of it's Home country. Would be nice to have a GTA set in Europe. The culture, languages, traditions and the brighter cities would expose people to a whole different side of the open-world. Stories and happenings are universal. U.S set GTAs helped people understand how life goes on; in the states. And now it can do the same for a different country. I've always thought a GTA set i the following countries would be fun: Mexico, Brazil (Max Payne flashbacks), England and Iceland.

Big Fat Paulie

If R* were to ever set a GTA game outside of the United States, I'd love to see a GTA game set in either Britain, Japan, Italy, or Russia.

I'd also like to see some more American cities get the GTA treatment, such as Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC, Boston, or Atlanta.

Heck, Boston is one of the three cities featured in my concept thread for GTA VI, along with GTA versions of Philadelphia and New York City (as my GTA VI is intended to be a prequel to IV) and other large portions of the Northeastern United States, such as New Jersey, New England, and Upstate New York.

But to get back on topic, I only really see the HD Era GTA games being in America for the time being. Maybe after GTA VI comes out, we could possibly see a London-based GTA game.

However, while R* seems intent on keeping the HD Era games focused on America, I would not be opposed to a foreign location.

American Venom

Aslong as it makes sense of course it would. America isn't the only country in the world with criminals and gangs.

The series has grown and evolved so much it's beyond just an American identity now. I'd love to go to the mean streets of London ala Snatch, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels etc or an Asian city and be in the shoes of a Triad/Yakuza.

It's always fun to see different cultures, ways of life etc from different parts of the world as it's something I'll never likely do myself in my lifetime so video games are a perfect tool to express that.

UndeadPotat0
12 hours ago, Big Fat Paulie said:

If R* were to ever set a GTA game outside of the United States, I'd love to see a GTA game set in either Britain, Japan, Italy, or Russia.

I'd also like to see some more American cities get the GTA treatment, such as Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC, Boston, or Atlanta.

Heck, Boston is one of the three cities featured in my concept thread for GTA VI, along with GTA versions of Philadelphia and New York City (as my GTA VI is intended to be a prequel to IV) and other large portions of the Northeastern United States, such as New Jersey, New England, and Upstate New York.

But to get back on topic, I only really see the HD Era GTA games being in America for the time being. Maybe after GTA VI comes out, we could possibly see a London-based GTA game.

However, while R* seems intent on keeping the HD Era games focused on America, I would not be opposed to a foreign location.

I say Britain or somewhere tangibly related to America because that's just the way GTA is it's based in America, it has to be. It's not GTA if it isn't.

15 hours ago, Joaoseinha said:

I was winding you up mate. 

Official General
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:53 PM, Joaoseinha said:

LOL !! Okay cool. If you think Northern Ireland is great location for GTA then fine. I ain't gonna argue with you, but my opinion remains the same. But God help us all if you worked for Rockstar and it is was you who decided where the next GTA would be 😆 !!

This guy actually is wholly convinced Northern Ireland is an ideal location for a GTA game. Of all locations, he states Northern Ireland !!?? 😆😆

On topic, to remind latecomers :

No I do not want to see GTA set in a location outside of the USA - ever. 

Edited by Official General

Joaoseinha
51 minutes ago, Official General said:

LOL !! Okay cool. If you think Northern Ireland is great location for GTA then fine. I ain't gonna argue with you, but my opinion remains the same. But God help us all if you worked for Rockstar and it is was you who decided where the next GTA would be 😆 !!

This guy actually is wholly convinced Northern Ireland is an ideal location for a GTA game. Of all locations, he states Northern Ireland !!?? 😆😆

On topic, to remind latecomers :

No I do not want to see GTA set in a location outside of the USA - ever. 

I never said I wanted Northern Ireland as a location, I was asking for you to explain exactly why it's such a laughable setting, yet you consistently dodge the question and instead spam emojis.

It's nice to actually provide arguments to back up your comments. GTA has technically already been set outside the US once anyway. I think it's pretty close-minded to want it to be limited to just the US when there's so many interesting places to explore abroad as well. The US doesn't have a monopoly on crime.

Edited by Joaoseinha

TheSantader25

I think the people who are against the non-US setting already brought their reasons in the last two pages. There's not much to say. If you haven't accepted their reasoning nothing new will convince you otherwise. GTA basically rebuilt its identity since III and we've never seen it outside of the US since then. 

I myself also believe GTA just doesn't fit outside USA. EVER. Unless R* somehow reboot the identity of the series and go for a completely new direction. It would be a very controversial decision though. 

Big Fat Paulie
19 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

I think the people who are against the non-US setting already brought their reasons in the last two pages. There's not much to say. If you haven't accepted their reasoning nothing new will convince you otherwise. GTA basically rebuilt its identity since III and we've never seen it outside of the US since then. 

I myself also believe GTA just doesn't fit outside USA. EVER. Unless R* somehow reboot the identity of the series and go for a completely new direction. It would be a very controversial decision though. 

Agreed. As cool as it would be to have GTA in London or Tokyo, the core identity of the HD Era GTA games is as a satire and commentary on American culture and The American Dream.

That simply doesn't work in a foreign location.

Crime may be universal, but there are some things that are uniquely American in character.

Unless they do another drastic setting reboot like they did with IV, a GTA game set outside the United States probably would not work.

Edited by Big Fat Paulie

Virtual-Antics

Yeah. They could easily have another international game like GTA London 1961 on the PS1. Base it in fictional capital cities from around the world. GTA IV had a Russian in New York/Liberty City. Why not flip it around and have an American take on foreign criminals? Or... Expand on the characters/story from GTA Chinatown Wars and take it abroad. Satire has no boundaries - comedic or geographic.

Edited by Virtual-Antics

Aquamaniac
On 2/9/2019 at 8:51 PM, UndeadPotat0 said:

This is true, but this doesn't mean that another scenario could not be done well. Think of GTA IV, you had black market gun stores which exist in nearly all countries (you can't legally buy RPGs or pipe bombs in the US btw.) and you didn't see anything of the American landscape, the diversity of American landscape is irrelevant when all GTAs take place in either big cities or the desert.

I am aware that a GTA in Belfast would not appeal to the mainstream, but from an artistic point of view you could make a great story and a great game in this setting.

As an international location I still think Paris would work best though to appeal to an international mainstream for various reasons.

@ Joasoeinha

related to guns and realism, GTA would actually not work in all countries, either because gun laws are too strict or countries are to safe, a GTA would not work well in UK, Japan, China or Switzerland

Certainly not everyone in the world knows Northern Ireland, but this is no reason why a game would not work there.

Edited by Aquamaniac

TheSantader25

Other than landscape and guns I'd like to point out the varied races and cultural diversities. 

In which country other than USA can you have Irish mobs, mafias, Yakuza, Illegal races, Hispanics, cartels, African American+Mexican Gangs, Motorcycle Clubs, Military Jets, Almost any type of vehicle, Prostitution, Cubans and Haitians, Drug Trafficking and Weapons Trading with Mexico, Diverse Radio stations and satire,etc in such a varied landscape all at the same time? 

Edited by TheSantader25

Aquamaniac
23 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

Other than landscape and guns I'd like to point out the varied races and cultural diversities. 

In which country other than USA can you have Irish mobs, mafias, Yakuza, Illegal races, Hispanics, cartels, African American+Mexican Gangs, Motorcycle Clubs, Military Jets, Almost any type of vehicle, Prostitution, Cubans and Haitians, Drug Trafficking and Weapons Trading with Mexico, Diverse Radio stations and satire,etc in such a varied landscape all at the same time? 

Personally I don't care about dozens of different ethnic crime groups, all countries have prostitution, military jets and various kinds of vehicles. GTA IV and V didn't have most of what you mentioned at the same time. GTA V had one hostile gang, Street Racers, some Chinese gangsters, a Cartel that was almost irrelevant, some bikers, PMC gone rogue and corrupt law enforcement, you can involve such groups in any plot in many countries. In terms of cars, Europe certainly hasn't to hide behind the US, unless the game takes place in Tirana which nobody suggested:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2719940/The-Arab-supercar-tour-continues-Cannes-Days-streets-Knightsbridge-jammed-flashy-vehicles-Middle-Eastern-playboys-expensive-toys-French-Riviera.html

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating that GTA should be set outside the US, I am only saying it would certainly work choosing the right places at the right time and that always the same US locations get boring.

Edited by Aquamaniac

TheSantader25
6 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

Personally I don't care about dozens of different ethnic crime groups, all countries have prostitution, military jets and various kinds of vehicles. GTA IV and V didn't have most of what you mentioned at the same time. GTA V had one hostile gang, Street Racers, some Chinese gangsters, a Cartel that was almost irrelevant, some bikers, PMC gone rogue and corrupt law enforcement, you can involve such groups in any plot in many countries. In terms of cars, Europe certainly hasn't to hide behind the US, unless the game takes place in Tirana which nobody suggested:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2719940/The-Arab-supercar-tour-continues-Cannes-Days-streets-Knightsbridge-jammed-flashy-vehicles-Middle-Eastern-playboys-expensive-toys-French-Riviera.html

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating that GTA should be set outside the US, I am only saying it would certainly work choosing the right places at the right time and that always the same US locations get boring.

I care about multiple different crime groups though. I want as much variety as possible. Also crime aside you really can't find the diversity regarding Race that US offers anywhere else which sets things up for different character personalities. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Aquamaniac
16 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

I care about multiple different crime groups though. I want as much variety as possible. Also crime aside you really can't find the diversity regarding Race that US offers anywhere else which sets things up for different character personalities. 

I wouldn't bet that France can't not compete in this matter, I'm curious to hear how important this aspect is for others, personally I couldn't care less.

PS: This ethnic diversity was little relevant in GTA V, apart from Franklin and his plot, white people only.

Edited by Aquamaniac

Joaoseinha
4 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

This is true, but this doesn't mean that another scenario could not be done well. Think of GTA IV, you had black market gun stores which exist in nearly all countries (you can't legally buy RPGs or pipe bombs in the US btw.) and you didn't see anything of the American landscape, the diversity of American landscape is irrelevant when all GTAs take place in either big cities or the desert.

I am aware that a GTA in Belfast would not appeal to the mainstream, but from an artistic point of view you could make a great story and a great game in this setting.

As an international location I still think Paris would work best though to appeal to an international mainstream for various reasons.

@ Joasoeinha

related to guns and realism, GTA would actually not work in all countries, either because gun laws are too strict or countries are to safe, a GTA would not work well in UK, Japan, China or Switzerland

Certainly not everyone in the world knows Northern Ireland, but this is no reason why a game would not work there.

No matter how safe a country is, there's always crime. Even Japan has the Yakuza despite being a top 10 country in terms of safety. Plus, suspension of disbelief is always a thing. After all, even in V some missions were ridiculously "cartoony" and unrealistic, I'd say this pales in comparison to that.

GTA would work fine in all of those settings (though I don't think Switzerland would be a particularly good one). A GTA in Tokyo, London or Shanghai would be great.

@TheSantader25 Diversity in crime groups means nothing if the vast majority of them are completely underdeveloped. Most players don't know the names of half the criminal groups seen in GTA IV or GTA V because they're not developed in the slightest and end up just being cannon fodder. Ah, how could we forget the impactful Korean mob in GTA IV, which had the sole purpose of having you protect them only to wipe them out a few missions later. With diversity this shallow, basically all it means is that they have a new name and look slightly different from your previous cannon fodder.

Plus, I imagine other countries have crime groups that don't necessarily operate in the US, so we could have some fresh groups to interact with.

As for race, are you seriously saying the USA is the most ethnically diverse country on Earth? Because that's a pretty bold claim when the continent of Africa exists.

Edited by Joaoseinha

Grotti Vigilante

As for race, are you seriously saying the USA is the most ethnically diverse country on Earth? Because that's a pretty bold claim when the continent of Africa exists.

That's a terrible comparison. You're comparing a single country to a whole continent. 

If you want to know why GTA wouldn't work outside the US, it's because GTA's structure as a whole is satire of American pop culture. Over the years it has pretty much forged this identity for itself, and Dan Houser doesn't even believe that GTA should be anywhere outside of the US. I mean Rockstar could go for a similar game set in a different country, but it won't be GTA. This has been explained already, so there's not much arguments left to really make. Rockstar doesn't feel that GTA would fit outside the US, so it won't be set outside of the US without a major reboot to the series and it's identity like God of War did when changing from Greek mythology (despite using Heracles' Roman name, Hercules) to Norse mythology. But that was a very risky move in itself. I can't see Rockstar doing that just yet. The series has still gone strong despite major setbacks. 

Aquamaniac

@ Joasoeinha

Maybe you're right, I virtually know nothing about Japan and neither does the average American I guess, I once saw a docu about Japan that the Yakuza were quite popular by common people and that there were Yakuza comics publicly sold before the government started to fight them. Who says that a GTA Tokyo must be based on real life Japan and not on some Yakuza Comics? I think Japan would be a poor place though, too particular; England has at least some interesting vehicles, it is more likely to see a thug carrying a RPG 7 in France or elsewhere in Europe than in NYC btw.

As for rigid gun laws, decades ago many European countries had much more liberal gun laws than now, so a GTA London might work well if set maybe in the 60s, it all depends on the right place at the right time.

@Grotti Vigilante

If the devs say that GTA is mocking American pop culture it is, this does not mean that GTA could not also mock French or Brit culture and that the game principle would not work outside the US, some scenarios would fit Mafia better though, including all periods before the 90s imo.

Edited by Aquamaniac