2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Ella_Ragu

What Made SA A Masterpiece?

Ella_Ragu

I know why Vice City is loved. The nostalgia or first encounter with the 80's. The neon colours and soundtrack known by all; but San Andreas is classed as a Masterpiece. A Sopranos to all other TV shows, a Micheal Jackson to all other entertainers.

GTA San Andreas constantly stands tall among formidable opposition. I never got the chance to finish it.

Tell me, why is San Andreas....the best?

GTA_CAT

-Amazing soundtrack

-Multiple games in a single CD

-+200 vehicles of all types

-Huge map with a lot of variety

-Good storyline and characters

-Interesting historical, social and cultural references

-Changeable player, including tattos, clothes, hairstyle and physical stats

-Missions having a wide variety of actions and objectives

-Nostalgia 

-The fact a lot of people still play it today, whether online or in PS2, 3,4 and all types of devices it has been adapted to

-Lots of mods and all this stuff I'm not into

-It's a GTA of the 3D era

-All the new features it brought to videogames industry back in 2004

-Top 3 of PS2 games

-All the myths and histories that provided us hours of fun

Pls somebody continue this list, I'm sure there's still a lot of things remaining 

Vanzant

It also had a cast of voice actors that couldn't have been easily pulled off had anyone else done it. Samuel L Jackson, James Woods, Chris Penn....I can go on. I can't personally think of any video game with such a cast of big name actors and the downside is the cost of having these voices def chomped into the profits RockStar made which is why we're probably never going to see anything like this happen again.

Dave88

Where to start. So many reasons... It's my fave game of all time.

So, I'm 30 years old, I was 16 when SA came out. Impressionable. I think nostalgia plays a part, but people often think that nostalgia lessens true value of something but that's not always true.

The sheer size of the map, but not just for the sake of it, the map had purpose, and was a lot of fun. Driving from city to city, or across the desert listening to A Horse with No Name... Fun, diverse missions, and some bloody hard ones. Good, long storyline. Legendary characters (voice actors too).

By the way - finish it! 

Big_Smiley
Posted (edited)

Was the best selling PS2 video game to date. The system itself currently still holds as the best selling console of all time.

Simple as that...

Edited by Big_Smiley

Ella_Ragu

Christ. I've been missing out.

Is it best to play on PC?

Am Shaegar

There is so much to share here about my favorite open world game of all time :inlove: 

To begin with.

- Best story in the series, hands down.

- Funniest lines that will make you laigh uncontrollably, both during cutscenes and outside of the game while listening to the various exchange of lines between CJ and Peds. Even the physical appearance and sex appeal of CJ has an effect on the pedestrians reaction towards CJ. Its awesome. No GTA (except V) has repeated this feature that really makes the people of the state around CJ so much more lively and interesting to see and listen.

- Gorgeous map with lots of diversity in areas and content. It packs so many things to explore, interact and engage with the open world. 

- The most memorable cast of characters in the series. Top notch voice acting.

- The only game that allows you to buy a ticket from the airport to fly across the cities. This is something I always loved to use it game. Sometimes I use the airports to reach another city, instead of flying in the plane. I don't know why but its a feature no urban open world has offered. In fact, this is the only open world game with multiple cities.

- The best protagonist in the series CJ. The coolest guy with such a relatable personality that anyone will instantly connect with him. He feels far more level headed with an instinct that I always thought was the right thing for him to do than just do what several other protagonists would have done by pretending to be some badass guy faking it to act tough. 

- Includes the best antagonists of the series in one game. - Tenpenny, Big Smoke, Pulaski.

- Toreno. :lol: You need to play the game to understand why he's so f*ckin' great. 

- Tons of freedom and choices in how you progress in the game. There is always something for you to spend time on. Every inch of the map has been utilized to immerse the player into the game.

- The best driving and flying mechanics of the series - simple, easy and yet realistic to some extent as well. Its spot on for my tastes without being too realistic nor over the top.

I will soon continue with more details that makes SA an unfirgettable, unsurpassed masterpiece of the series :):inlove:

30 minutes ago, Ella_Ragu said:

Absolutely. There are so many awesome mods that further enhance the experience.

Big_Smiley
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ella_Ragu said:

As @Am Shaegar mentioned, PC is the way to go. With the use of mods you can make SA for PC look exactly like the original PS2 version. If playing games with a keyboard Isn't your thing ("Like me for example") You can hook up a game pad like a PS or Xbox controller. The original atmosphere for SA was glorious. Especially those damn orange skies :inlove: Something the PC and Xbox versions didn't have but again with the help of mods the game looks exact to the PS2 version. Unfortunately the original Xbox can't be modded really. So It keeps the bland atmosphere.

Personally for me I still perfer my old PS2 slim. But that's just because I'm an old head tbh :p

@Ella_Ragu (OP): I would recommend staying away from the HD remaster versions (PS3, 360, Xbox One) because these versions are simply ports of the mobile version and are just awful in my honest opinion. Too many reasons to list here. Search It up.

Edited by Big_Smiley

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)

Best Game of all time for me.

-Best Story in the Series to make sense for a "GTA" 

-incredible Gameplay. Diverse Vehicles, weapons.

-An Ocean of Content. 

-Amazing Soundtrack

-Best map of the series

-funniest/best quotable dialogues in the series(V is close tho) 

-best cheats in the series

Ah this is stupid, the best you can get of everything. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Domand

Oh man...

The story and characters were great!

The map and all the variety of things and stuff you could find or do. I really loved just driving around exploring while listening to my favorite radio stations.

Big Smokes Order lol sorry I had too...

For the era and time period this came out, I don't mind the wacky crazy stuff that happens which I know some people dislike it for. I might find it weird or questionable now in a newer game (depending if its clearly trying to be grounded on realism), but for this era and nostalgia, and the feeling I got from it, and really everything that this was released in and when I played it I find it all pretty much fun!

All the myths and legends!

The ability and all the options you had to customize player!

It was so filled and interesting that I always find this game to be really great!

Sure I have other games that I like more and prefer, but this one is always in my top 5 or top 10!

Dave88
3 minutes ago, Domand said:

Oh man...

The story and characters were great!

The map and all the variety of things and stuff you could find or do. I really loved just driving around exploring while listening to my favorite radio stations.

Big Smokes Order lol sorry I had too...

For the era and time period this came out, I don't mind the wacky crazy stuff that happens which I know some people dislike it for. I might find it weird or questionable now in a newer game (depending if its clearly trying to be grounded on realism), but for this era and nostalgia, and the feeling I got from it, and really everything that this was released in and when I played it I find it all pretty much fun!

All the myths and legends!

The ability and all the options you had to customize player!

It was so filled and interesting that I always find this game to be really great!

Sure I have other games that I like more and prefer, but this one is always in my top 5 or top 10!

May I ask which games you prefer to it? Not criticizing! Each to their own and everything, genuinely curious

Domand
7 minutes ago, Dave88 said:

May I ask which games you prefer to it? Not criticizing! Each to their own and everything, genuinely curious

Of course!

I say I like Red Dead Redemption, Assassins Creed (Specifically certain ones, not the whole series) and Grand Theft Auto IV.

I really am into story the most out of games, shows, movies, anything like that. I'll judge a game based off of the other factors that go into it (Gameplay as an example) but story is something I just seem the really pay the most attention to. 

I have certain tastes and preferences to a story and how its portrayed. I think sometimes a game may have an excellent story, but perhaps another game has a story or concept that grabs my attention more. Either it satisfies my preferences and tastes more, or it displays them in a different way that I enjoy more then the other game did it. 

I think realism plays into it too. I enjoy games that have realistic stories told in a complete and only realistic way, but I also enjoy games that have stories that are just focused on telling a really enjoyable compelling story with great characters and moments. That isn't trying to be grounded on realism or held by any constraints like that. For San Andreas and the other games, I think some were trying to tell an amazing realistic story in only a realistic way, and others were trying to tell an amazing story in any, fun, crazy, way whether its deemed unrealistic or not.

I liked San Andreas, but I found these other games had more stuff I enjoyed, liked a little better.

Either way, I found San Andreas to have a great story that had some realistic elements to it, but it was just a story being told in a creative way that was memorable. Even if some of that stuff didn't seem real. (That whole Jetpack stuff people talk about I guess to explain what I mean.) However I don't care about that for this specific game cause I find it was just trying to tell a good story like I said. It had alot of my preferences and tastes in a game as well that grabbed my attention, and I put it up there in my personal top set of games!! Along with those other ones I mention.

I don't say these are better games by fact, because this is all opinion. This just happens to be my opinion and I respect and understand anyone who would have something completely different then this. 

Sorry that I made such a long response 😄 I just figured perhaps I should explain my reasoning for what I said.😄

Evil empire

San Andreas isn't a masterpiece and there's already a lot of similar topics.

GroveStreetOG92

Me personally I can relate to to characters like CJ,Ryder,OG Loc,Kendall,Cesar etc etc. I also can relate to the state of San Andreas and its 3 beautiful cities. I also can relate to the gang activity and certain missions throughout Los Santos. Ive always related to the game and always will. 

Official General

So much to say, but here are the stand-out ones from myself :

* The huge amount and variety of gameplay features that provided so many fun and interesting activities to do.

* The very large map with 3 different cities to explore, each with their own distinct identity and also all the small towns, countryside and wilderness in between. 

* The atmosphere and feeling of the city environments; everything felt so lively and always active, especially with regards to crime, gang wars, shootings, and violence in the streets. 

* Many of the main characters and their roles in the story.

* The many action-packed and explosively fun missions. 

* The music on the radio stations.

Dave88
On 7/20/2018 at 12:11 AM, Domand said:

Of course!

I say I like Red Dead Redemption, Assassins Creed (Specifically certain ones, not the whole series) and Grand Theft Auto IV.

I really am into story the most out of games, shows, movies, anything like that. I'll judge a game based off of the other factors that go into it (Gameplay as an example) but story is something I just seem the really pay the most attention to. 

I have certain tastes and preferences to a story and how its portrayed. I think sometimes a game may have an excellent story, but perhaps another game has a story or concept that grabs my attention more. Either it satisfies my preferences and tastes more, or it displays them in a different way that I enjoy more then the other game did it. 

I think realism plays into it too. I enjoy games that have realistic stories told in a complete and only realistic way, but I also enjoy games that have stories that are just focused on telling a really enjoyable compelling story with great characters and moments. That isn't trying to be grounded on realism or held by any constraints like that. For San Andreas and the other games, I think some were trying to tell an amazing realistic story in only a realistic way, and others were trying to tell an amazing story in any, fun, crazy, way whether its deemed unrealistic or not.

I liked San Andreas, but I found these other games had more stuff I enjoyed, liked a little better.

Either way, I found San Andreas to have a great story that had some realistic elements to it, but it was just a story being told in a creative way that was memorable. Even if some of that stuff didn't seem real. (That whole Jetpack stuff people talk about I guess to explain what I mean.) However I don't care about that for this specific game cause I find it was just trying to tell a good story like I said. It had alot of my preferences and tastes in a game as well that grabbed my attention, and I put it up there in my personal top set of games!! Along with those other ones I mention.

I don't say these are better games by fact, because this is all opinion. This just happens to be my opinion and I respect and understand anyone who would have something completely different then this. 

Sorry that I made such a long response 😄 I just figured perhaps I should explain my reasoning for what I said.😄

Don't be silly, more detail the better, haha, I always say I prefer 1000 words to 1. 
I totally understand. I should say i'm not a massive gamer, well, I mean, I love games, I have my faves, but not in the sense i'm constantly looking for the latest or whatever, you know? But, movies, shows and the games that I love... for sure story is a huge part. Stories and dialogue. 

My fave show of all time is The Sopranos. Movies I could talk all day about, let's just say the past year, Ladybird imo is a classic. Brilliant dialogue. 
Anywaaay... aswell as the reasons I mentioned, for sure San Andreas storyline I love. Not gonna say it was relatable, it wasn't, and to be totally honest I probably preferred the story when CJ left Los Santos, but it was mature beyond it's years for gaming. GTA IV and Niko? ❤️

Domand
On 7/21/2018 at 6:12 PM, Dave88 said:

Don't be silly, more detail the better, haha, I always say I prefer 1000 words to 1. 
I totally understand. I should say i'm not a massive gamer, well, I mean, I love games, I have my faves, but not in the sense i'm constantly looking for the latest or whatever, you know? But, movies, shows and the games that I love... for sure story is a huge part. Stories and dialogue. 

My fave show of all time is The Sopranos. Movies I could talk all day about, let's just say the past year, Ladybird imo is a classic. Brilliant dialogue. 
Anywaaay... aswell as the reasons I mentioned, for sure San Andreas storyline I love. Not gonna say it was relatable, it wasn't, and to be totally honest I probably preferred the story when CJ left Los Santos, but it was mature beyond it's years for gaming. GTA IV and Niko? ❤️

Oh yeah the Sopranos was pretty great! Haven't checked out Ladybird but I guess I should then.

Yeah San Andreas was a story I will always enjoy. I also  agree that another one showing CJ leaving Los Santos also could've been an interesting story aswell!

Am Shaegar
Posted (edited)

It was a step up over its predecessors. The real strength of the story is the range of interesting subjects that the story has to offer, from the classic rags to riches tale to the fight for the family's lost power. It was a more complex story that involved various elements like brother's safety in prison, close friends betraying to a delightful personal struggle of the  main protagonist without getting too serious or too boring. I found CJ far more believable as a character than the messy storyline of the lead character Niko Bellic.

I never understood this logic that a story has to move forward 90+ missions in a specific direction without even a smidgen of deviation imaginable from the protagonist's position. I understand if the missions were not connected in any way to the main plot or if the story aims to weave issues or subjects that just come and go for no reason to make any sense.

But that's not the case here..

Houser is keen for people to appreciate that where GTA III had utterly separate story missions and secondary tasks and mini-games, and Vice City kind of lessened the gap between them, everything in San Andreas is intrinsically linked. "Obviously you still have missions you have to do," he tells Game Informer, "but when you're not on a mission, not only are there a thousand things to do, but what you can do relates to where you are in the story." And besides, that, you pick up skills.

Dan Houser

To me SA's story made a lot of sense with little to no evident holes. I mean, the writers have to incorporate certain elements to move CJ in the story and the map, but its done in a way that provides you nice twists and surprises that works as a follow up on the on-going storyline, instead of introducing plot elements, characters that just come and go away; giving a sense of repetition (see: GTA IV) and goes nowhere but moves in a direction that keeps getting lost on you as to why Niko makes the player keep doing things never made sense for him to keep doing to begin with. This wafer thin excuse of getting paid is not strong enough on its own to spend 30 hours into the game (already done before in GTA III), while the story doesn't spend enough time with (one of) the actual reasons of coming to LC of finding someone special other than just one single mission and a character that points him to another character (Florian) that again doesn't bring anything important to the story worth dwelling on besides doing a couple of errand tasks.

On the other hand, SA's story clearly depicts the main events and a number of other subjects that seems fitting to the personal struggles of the main character. The thing I liked is that its difficult to predict the beginning, the middle and the ending in SA's story on your first time of playing the game. Unlike in case of other GTA stories that follows a set formula and predictable direction of what is going to happen next. SA builds the premise on a beautifully twisted and fun plot that stays close to the actual story with certain elements added to deliberately show changes in CJ's character from the early life of a street thug to the rich businessman who got involved in power and money so much so that (just like Smoke) bringing the grove street back to power became kinda secondary goal by the time you return to Los Santos.

Its an amazing story that is deeper than its predecessor (and certainly a deeper main protagonist), featuring colorful cast of characters that offers proper justification and context for a lot of the events players witness or experience. For CJ to learn, evolve and make something of his life, the writers make him meet the kind of characters (like Tenpenny, Toreno, Cesar, The Truth, Jizzy, and many more) that eventually prove useful to mature him as a character (the skills, respect level, etc nicely interweaves with the character's progression) that proves a major confidence booster to finally deal and come face to face with those who betrayed him.

Its surprising that a story like SA that deserves good praise and appreciation gets overlooked (only in this forum though) for the overrated story like GTA IV.

Edited by Am Shaegar
corrected several typos

SanLiberty
On 7/20/2018 at 1:14 AM, Evil empire said:

San Andreas isn't a masterpiece and there's already a lot of similar topics.

I hope you are trolling.

Lioshenka

- I always list this one first: a huge diverse range of the landscape

- A huge number of side activities and missions, all different and fun

- Save houses scattered around the map. Can't get why none of the follow up games made use of that feature.

- Beautifully designed detailed map

- Great radio. Good music with a dedicated suitable station for every part of the map.

- Myths. R* managed to create a world where the myths and belief in paranormal is a natural part of gameplay.

- Lots of different vehicles; including some ridiculous ones.

Lots of smaller things, which are already mentioned here.

On 7/19/2018 at 1:55 AM, Ella_Ragu said:

Hard to say. Whichever way you choose - DO NOT use mods, not until you beat the game. It will completely ruin the atmosphere.

I did my first play through on PC (great, obviously), but there is no way to match the PS2 graphics; and PS2 graphics is the best. I'd say PS2 is more atmospheric, but PC makes a lot of missions much easier and more intuitive. If you have a PS2 then I can't really recommend one over the other, but if you don't then get a PC version to save the money!

Laker23

- One of the best stories in the series.

- Thee best group of characters in the series

- The amount of stuff you could do was just ridiculous. It's both impressive and embarrassing that there's more to do here than there is in GTA V.

- Great radio stations. Not as good as VC for me, but miles better than anything IV or V offered. Which I guess is to be expected as modern music is rather 'eh', if I'm comparing it to the classics.

- Map was excellent. Hopefully VI will give us the chance to have a bit more variety again in that regard.

VikingEVM

-Iconic characters

-Customization of your character
-The story is great

-The map: three very different cities, desert area, country area, lots of different locations

-Secondary missions and activities: they actually gave you perks when you completed them, unlike GTA V where almost EVERY side mission ends like "The character refuses to pay you - kill the character"
-Myths and easter eggs

-It was just too much fun typing cheats and f*cking around

AxA

- Voice Actors.

- RPGish flavor.

- Storyline.

- MTA:SA & Modding.

- and the mastermind OG Loc. 

Vulturee

First of all, Storyline, not the best one, but is amazing and impressive for me. The Voice Actors, like Tenpenny, is voiced by Denzel Washington, also he won a award for voice Tenpenny. Iconic characters obviously... The huge map is in the game, in 2004 in a sandbox game that's a lot of programming, also Rockstar Games started working on GTA San Andreas since 1999. The Easter Eggs, are a lot of them, in the whole map, a huge map to explore, the HUGE community the game has... The Beta of the game is very huge, too many of stuff and things have been removed, 'cause the DVD was so weak in 2000's. and that just the beggining. PD: Sorry for my bad English...

Official General
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:55 AM, Ella_Ragu said:

Most definitely. There are so many great mods that make this game 100 times better than the pure gold it already is without mods !

But....like Lioshenka stated earlier you might wanna play the game and complete it first without mods, as it will hinder your ability to play the game (game will crash a lot or not function properly at all in some instances). The only mods you should can and should use when first playing the game are the SkyFX, Project2Dfx, SilentPatch and Widescreen mods, as they simply enhance the graphics and visual display, but nothing else. 

SkyGTA_User

why? because rockstar created it and rockstar games are already popular

ilovebender.com

Everything.

The radio, the setting, the fact that it's not all in one city (like you can drive all night/all day to another city), the cast, the time it was set, where it was set - everything imo.