3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Ella_Ragu

Should Rockstar Make A Fantasy Game?

Ella_Ragu

I'm keeping it short. Skyrim sold 30 million copies (before PS4/XB1/Switch/VR remastered versions) and The Witcher 3 is another top selling game.

If Rockstar could make Western (RDR) interesting to millions (I genre that is dated & tired), imagine what the could do with fantasy.

ThatKyloRenGuy

Good question. It may or may not be a good idea IMO. I don’t really care for Skyrim though.

Emmi

No, that wouldn't work and I don't want it.

universetwisters

Gta online has turned into a fantasy game over the last five years. Jetpacks? Flying bikes? Explosive bullets? The only thing it's missing to go head-to-head with skyrim is some medieval aesthetic.

DrAnomalous
On 7/21/2018 at 2:10 AM, universetwisters said:

Gta online has turned into a fantasy game over the last five years. Jetpacks? Flying bikes? Explosive bullets? The only thing it's missing to go head-to-head with skyrim is some medieval aesthetic.

Yea I agree. I myself hate the direction GTA has taken. If Rockstar was to create a fantasy sci/fi game that'd be all gravy. Just didn't think GTA would be the cluster f*ck of non-sense that it is today.

Ella_Ragu
On 7/21/2018 at 8:10 AM, universetwisters said:

That's very true. Fantasy doesn't always mean dragons and elves.

CHARMANDER50
On 7/21/2018 at 3:04 PM, Emmi said:

No, that wouldn't work and I don't want it.

Yea now that R* (GTA players) want new stuff in the lookout ,

wouldn't hurt if they did.

A MMORPG Version of a GTA standard game is possibly R* 

Legacy for Mobile players !

Classic GTA SA sort of game in a MMORPG genre is quite a challenge for the boys !

Hmmm nice bike

If you've read the book "Jacked" by David Kushner, which contains interviews with many former staff at Rockstar, you'd know that Sam Houser really hated the idea of fantasy games. "f*cking orcs and elves" is a phrase he used. I think someone who was a producer actually brought up the idea of a fantasy game to compete with World of Warcraft back when that game was incredibly popular, and the idea was shot down quickly. If Houser still feels that way about fantasy games like WoW and Skyrim, then as long as he's in charge of Rockstar, they probably won't do any fantasy titles.

Journey_95

Don't think so, they should stick to games based on reality..not sci fi/fantasy etc.

Tao Cheng

Rockstar should make an RPG. :)

Emmi
On 9/8/2018 at 11:40 PM, Hmmm nice bike said:

If you've read the book "Jacked" by David Kushner, which contains interviews with many former staff at Rockstar, you'd know that Sam Houser really hated the idea of fantasy games. "f*cking orcs and elves" is a phrase he used. I think someone who was a producer actually brought up the idea of a fantasy game to compete with World of Warcraft back when that game was incredibly popular, and the idea was shot down quickly. If Houser still feels that way about fantasy games like WoW and Skyrim, then as long as he's in charge of Rockstar, they probably won't do any fantasy titles.

Sam Houser shares my feelings for fantasy games. :)

They better stick to games based on reality!

Vrock_wave

I would not like to see a fantastic game from R* with magic and the Middle Ages, they don’t need it at all, and there are a lot of such games from other studios. Perhaps they could make a war game in the framework of the Vietnamese conflict or something similar about any detachment of special units.

Jabalous

No, and I doubt that they even thought about making one at some point. I remember reading in an interview with Dan Houser about their noninterest in making fantasy and superhero games. I wish there are more games based on reality, taking inspiration from different historical periods (e.g. the wild west, the middle ages, the prohibition and great depression, pop culture of different decades). You could say that Assassin's Creed is one game that managed to do such a thing, but it's a wildly fictional universe with unbelievable, overly dramatic story and characters. Rockstar should and will keep focusing on reality and believable worlds, but it's the time again to explore a unique older era in the next Grand Theft Auto game. 

Edited by Jabalous

Hmmm nice bike
6 hours ago, Jabalous said:

I wish there are more games based on reality, taking inspiration from different historical periods (e.g. the wild west, the middle ages, the prohibition and great depression, pop culture of different decades). You could say that Assassin's Creed is one game that managed to do such a thing, but it's a wildly fictional universe with unbelievable, overly dramatic story and characters. Rockstar should and will keep focusing on reality and believable worlds, but it's the time again to explore a unique older era in the next Grand Theft Auto game. 

I remember thinking that a game based on the Civil War would be great, especially if Rockstar truly put a ton of effort into it, but it might be considered a bit too close to RDR in terms of how the gameplay would be, and even the time period. Maybe they could make it work though, or go further back and base a game on the American Revolution. Or something else based in ancient times in Europe or wherever.