Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
      4. Frontier Pursuits
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA IV Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA SA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA VC Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA III Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Ella_Ragu

Should Rockstar Make A Fantasy Game?

Recommended Posts

Ella_Ragu

I'm keeping it short. Skyrim sold 30 million copies (before PS4/XB1/Switch/VR remastered versions) and The Witcher 3 is another top selling game.

If Rockstar could make Western (RDR) interesting to millions (I genre that is dated & tired), imagine what the could do with fantasy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Outlaw Biker Viking

Good question. It may or may not be a good idea IMO. I don’t really care for Skyrim though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emmi

No, that wouldn't work and I don't want it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
universetwisters

Gta online has turned into a fantasy game over the last five years. Jetpacks? Flying bikes? Explosive bullets? The only thing it's missing to go head-to-head with skyrim is some medieval aesthetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DrAnomalous
On 7/21/2018 at 2:10 AM, universetwisters said:

Gta online has turned into a fantasy game over the last five years. Jetpacks? Flying bikes? Explosive bullets? The only thing it's missing to go head-to-head with skyrim is some medieval aesthetic.

Yea I agree. I myself hate the direction GTA has taken. If Rockstar was to create a fantasy sci/fi game that'd be all gravy. Just didn't think GTA would be the cluster f*ck of non-sense that it is today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ella_Ragu
On 7/21/2018 at 8:10 AM, universetwisters said:

Gta online has turned into a fantasy game over the last five years. Jetpacks? Flying bikes? Explosive bullets? The only thing it's missing to go head-to-head with skyrim is some medieval aesthetic.

That's very true. Fantasy doesn't always mean dragons and elves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CHARMANDER50
On 7/21/2018 at 3:04 PM, Emmi said:

No, that wouldn't work and I don't want it.

 

Yea now that R* (GTA players) want new stuff in the lookout ,

wouldn't hurt if they did.

 

A MMORPG Version of a GTA standard game is possibly R* 

Legacy for Mobile players !

 

Classic GTA SA sort of game in a MMORPG genre is quite a challenge for the boys !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike

If you've read the book "Jacked" by David Kushner, which contains interviews with many former staff at Rockstar, you'd know that Sam Houser really hated the idea of fantasy games. "f*cking orcs and elves" is a phrase he used. I think someone who was a producer actually brought up the idea of a fantasy game to compete with World of Warcraft back when that game was incredibly popular, and the idea was shot down quickly. If Houser still feels that way about fantasy games like WoW and Skyrim, then as long as he's in charge of Rockstar, they probably won't do any fantasy titles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Journey_95

Don't think so, they should stick to games based on reality..not sci fi/fantasy etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tao Cheng

Rockstar should make an RPG. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emmi
On 9/8/2018 at 11:40 PM, Hmmm nice bike said:

If you've read the book "Jacked" by David Kushner, which contains interviews with many former staff at Rockstar, you'd know that Sam Houser really hated the idea of fantasy games. "f*cking orcs and elves" is a phrase he used. I think someone who was a producer actually brought up the idea of a fantasy game to compete with World of Warcraft back when that game was incredibly popular, and the idea was shot down quickly. If Houser still feels that way about fantasy games like WoW and Skyrim, then as long as he's in charge of Rockstar, they probably won't do any fantasy titles.

Sam Houser shares my feelings for fantasy games. :)

They better stick to games based on reality!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vrock_wave

I would not like to see a fantastic game from R* with magic and the Middle Ages, they don’t need it at all, and there are a lot of such games from other studios. Perhaps they could make a war game in the framework of the Vietnamese conflict or something similar about any detachment of special units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jabalous

No, and I doubt that they even thought about making one at some point. I remember reading in an interview with Dan Houser about their noninterest in making fantasy and superhero games. I wish there are more games based on reality, taking inspiration from different historical periods (e.g. the wild west, the middle ages, the prohibition and great depression, pop culture of different decades). You could say that Assassin's Creed is one game that managed to do such a thing, but it's a wildly fictional universe with unbelievable, overly dramatic story and characters. Rockstar should and will keep focusing on reality and believable worlds, but it's the time again to explore a unique older era in the next Grand Theft Auto game. 

Edited by Jabalous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike
6 hours ago, Jabalous said:

I wish there are more games based on reality, taking inspiration from different historical periods (e.g. the wild west, the middle ages, the prohibition and great depression, pop culture of different decades). You could say that Assassin's Creed is one game that managed to do such a thing, but it's a wildly fictional universe with unbelievable, overly dramatic story and characters. Rockstar should and will keep focusing on reality and believable worlds, but it's the time again to explore a unique older era in the next Grand Theft Auto game. 

I remember thinking that a game based on the Civil War would be great, especially if Rockstar truly put a ton of effort into it, but it might be considered a bit too close to RDR in terms of how the gameplay would be, and even the time period. Maybe they could make it work though, or go further back and base a game on the American Revolution. Or something else based in ancient times in Europe or wherever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ella_Ragu

 

On 12/6/2018 at 6:24 PM, Jabalous said:

I wish there are more games based on reality, taking inspiration from different historical periods (e.g. the wild west, the middle ages, the prohibition and great depression, pop culture of different decades). You could say that Assassin's Creed is one game that managed to do such a thing, but it's a wildly fictional universe with unbelievable, overly dramatic story and characters. Rockstar should and will keep focusing on reality and believable worlds.

Wouldn't that be boring? A major proponent to GTA is the satirical take on reality. Sort of like The Simpsons. Why would you want a game based in the 1920's that was literally like the 1920's. What would you do? Go to work, pick up the kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jabalous
7 hours ago, Ella_Ragu said:

Wouldn't that be boring? A major proponent to GTA is the satirical take on reality. Sort of like The Simpsons. Why would you want a game based in the 1920's that was literally like the 1920's. What would you do? Go to work, pick up the kids.

There's a misunderstanding here. I'm not proposing to have games that replicate real history, but rather games that are based on the real world with no fantasy elements, exactly like GTA, Mafia, Red Dead. I can fathom fantasy if it blends with reality like in The Last Of Us, Uncharted and Metal Gear, but not in AC, God Of War, The Witcher and Spiderman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zello
7 hours ago, Ella_Ragu said:

 

 Wouldn't that be boring? A major proponent to GTA is the satirical take on reality. Sort of like The Simpsons. Why would you want a game based in the 1920's that was literally like the 1920's. What would you do? Go to work, pick up the kids.

I really don't want GTA to go to the 1920's, I think the furthest back GTA should go would be the 1970s IMO. But a game in the 1920's could work Bootleggers and Prohibition, the Jazz age. Just don't call it GTA create a new IP for it.

Edited by KY Jello

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.