2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Nutduster

Can anything ever be done about this game's toxic underbelly?

Big Molio
4 minutes ago, Nutduster said:

I agree with you on all of that.  Things were very different back in the day when the Rhino was the only real way (apart from maybe sticky bombs) to blow up lots of player vehicles.  The one Pegasus vehicle with missiles that you could buy didn't even lock onto player-driven cars back then.  Whole different ballgame!  They've also implemented all these free roam objective games now and I don't understand how the bad sport and insurance systems can stay basically the same with all these things going on.  Go blow up someone's MC supplies but oh hey, don't blow up the actual car or bike they're driving because THAT will cost you more than we'll pay you for destroying the supplies.  Go get that Hot Property briefcase but oh hey, don't blow up the car of the guy holding that briefcase or you'll pay for that too.  It's stupid and contradictory and ill-thought out.  They did bother to make a few things give exceptions to the system (like when you blow up a car driven by a player with a bounty), but it's not nearly comprehensive enough.  To me, the whole thing is such a mess now that it would be far better to just abandon it. 

It stinks. 

I would love to know what they suggest as a legitimate tactic when under attack by somebody in a (now a personal vehicle, with insurance and bad sport points attached) Hydra for example?

I mean, am I supposed to take it, run away, hide, report them, change sessions or what?

I know, I'll shoot the f*cker down with this explosive sniper they have given me as a counter-weapon 

"Sorry son, that's being a bad sport and $10k right there"

It messes with your head as to how f*cked up it is.

Nutduster
8 minutes ago, kcole4001 said:

Yeah, that game's broken, but it's people who are at fault.

Given the opportunity to be assholes given no consequences (and often even with consequences), 95% of people are going to be assholes.

I think it's a lot less than 95% actually, but you're right. People are at fault.  They could be better - not take advantage of loopholes, not grief and troll all day - but they do.  However, if you're going to make a multiplayer game I think the onus is on the developer as well, to craft the game in such a way that these things are harder to do, and so there are punishments in place for chronic offenders.  Rockstar obviously knows this too because the game does have reporting, passive mode, cheat detection and more.  It's just that most of them weren't thought through properly and have serious flaws - they either don't work well enough, or they work TOO well and people abuse them as yet another weapon against other players.  Sometimes, as in the case of the report mechanism, it's both.  A lone player reporting others for glitching (as I sometimes do) is accomplishing nothing, but a full crew of raging assholes reporting one guy for beating them in a fair fight can actually send that guy to bad sport in a matter of an hour or two.  So while it's the crew of assholes that are really at fault here, I don't spare any criticism of the developer that gave them the tool they're misusing.

5 minutes ago, Big Molio said:

It stinks. 

I would love to know what they suggest as a legitimate tactic when under attack by somebody in a (now a personal vehicle, with insurance and bad sport points attached) Hydra for example?

I mean, am I supposed to take it, run away, hide, report them, change sessions or what?

I feel that pain so much.  I'm a stubborn PvP guy - kill me, and I will spend all my energy trying to get you back, usually four or five times.  And there are a lot of others like me, and when we run into each other, it tends to be carnage for an hour-plus.  And if it so happens that the battle escalates until the personal aircrafts, tanks and Deluxos are coming out, both me and the other guy are risking bad sport, just for doing the exact thing the whole game seems to be geared toward.  The really crafty devils will abuse that too.  I have a friend who likes to start fights, then get out his Oppressor, wait for the other guy to get his Deluxo, and he jumps off the motorcycle over and over just as they lock on and fire.  He'll let it get nuked repeatedly just to keep piling on the bad sport points.  I've laughed at his nonsense sometimes, but when I think about it, it's really a bit sickening.  Reminds me of an EX-friend who used to get as many of his friends in a session as possible and when someone killed him a few times, he'd beg all of us to report the guy with him.  I never did and just thinking about it makes me angry at that guy.  You're playing a PvP shooter game - man the f*ck up.

Big Molio
6 minutes ago, Nutduster said:

I feel that pain so much.  I'm a stubborn PvP guy - kill me, and I will spend all my energy trying to get you back, usually four or five times.

It's weird though, because the example I gave, being under air attack from a Lazer or Hydra is one of the things I actually enjoy (I know, I know) because it forces me to think on my feet, get to cover and ultimately have a steady nerve and a good aim. It can be bloody great game play, and as a game developer, why discourage with one hand, what you promote with the other. It's nonsensical.

Smokewood
29 minutes ago, KWF1981 said:

Weren't you just earlier eluding to me bullying another though, clearly you don't know if you support it or not, lol.

You didn't know that post about you bullying was just a joke??

I'm 48 years old. I don't give a rat's ass about politically correct behavior. 

37 minutes ago, Nutduster said:

One of those people who says GTA Online is "free" and uses it as a justification for Rockstar not fixing any of the things that are wrong with it.  It's not free, sport.  It's a feature of the game that they used to sell the base game itself.  I bought GTA V on current gen STRICTLY to play GTA Online on current consoles with my same old friends - I've replayed almost none of single player.  That copy of the game was certainly not "free."

I didn't try to justify anything.

It's a simple cost to benefit analysis. Something that lots of people just don't understand.

It's simple - they have NOTHING to gain from "fixing" these issues.

Their game is selling like hotcakes 5 years after release - in their minds they have done exactly what needs to be done to get customers and keep them.

CarimboHanky

op you gotta git gud boi!!

joke aside, no, nothing can be done, the game is pretty much designed to be a griefin playground.

i enjoyed that aspect of the game for a few years, but i got tired the griefin, eventho i was a griefer, that why i started playing more in invite only/solo sessions after gunrunning when live and the flying bike and the stupid explosive sniper ammo became a thing, after doomsday, the orbital cannon and the deluxo, i officially retired from public sessions.

i just cant deal with the constant battles, dont have that fire inside me anymore.

Nutduster
5 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

I'm 48 years old. I don't give a rat's ass about politically correct behavior. 

I didn't try to justify anything.

It's a simple cost to benefit analysis. Something that lots of people just don't understand.

It's simple - they have NOTHING to gain from "fixing" these issues.

Their game is selling like hotcakes 5 years after release - in their minds they have done exactly what needs to be done to get customers and keep them.

Which is why I stand perhaps to benefit from "crying" in threads like this.  My dollars as an individual consumer don't mean a thing to them, but general discontent in the player base does.  If something disgruntles me enough, I am happy to encourage that discontent.  See also: the recent outcry that got EA to take microtransactions out of Battlefront (and change them for the better when they were brought back in). 

We need fewer people like you who prattle on about cost-benefit analysis and resign themselves to nothing ever changing for the better.  You think you're just being passive and practical, but you are ACTIVELY telling Rockstar they don't need to worry about this - that plenty of players will just accept it and not ever hold them to account for anything.

Smokewood
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Nutduster said:

Which is why I stand perhaps to benefit from "crying" in threads like this.  My dollars as an individual consumer don't mean a thing to them, but general discontent in the player base does.  If something disgruntles me enough, I am happy to encourage that discontent.  See also: the recent outcry that got EA to take microtransactions out of Battlefront (and change them for the better when they were brought back in). 

We need fewer people like you who prattle on about cost-benefit analysis and resign themselves to nothing ever changing for the better.  You think you're just being passive and practical, but you are ACTIVELY telling Rockstar they don't need to worry about this - that plenty of players will just accept it and not ever hold them to account for anything.

They don't need to worry about it though...

When (or if) GTAO finally dies, they will just release GTA 6 with a badass story and single player game and EVERYONE will forget all about GTA 5. They will again sell 100 million copies of that game and then let people argue and bitch for 6 more years... then they will do it all over again.

The truth is hard to hear, but they stand to gain NOTHING from fixing these issues. 

They could even use these issues to sell GTA 6 to you. 

Can't you just see the newswire post already?  "Having learned from 5 years of GTA 5 online we have redesigned GTA 6 online with the following improvements" 

Real servers and not peer to peer

Pve and PvP server to choose from.

blah blah blah

Edited by Smokewood

Ghoffman9

Should not be hard to figure out why. The archaic insurance system is a reliable system for Rockstar that actively drains the bank accounts of players. Draining them of up to 20,000 each time a vehicle is destroyed. The fact they left insurance costs in and encourage PvP combat in these vehicles is no coincidence. They want you throwing away hundreds of thousands to the insurance mechanic, very insidious.

HamwithCheese

Not doing anything and being contempt with everything despite investing your money in that product is the worse thing to do.

Seriously.

kcole4001

It certainly doesn't bode well for the next game.

Chrome Toyota Prius

Ban children, people who haven't sorted out anger issues, and people who tortured their pets when they were children. It's the only way.

Nutduster
Just now, kcole4001 said:

It certainly doesn't bode well for the next game.

Yes, which troubles me.  I am already skeptical (to say the least) of RDR2's online portion.  I may end up playing it a lot less than GTA Online, if it shares some of these issues. 

kcole4001

I won't be playing it at all, and probably not GTA VI if it does come.

Firow
1 hour ago, KWF1981 said:

And with that content, any content, including these nightclubs where they've already stated they intend to change things up. Obviously, they can. Hence my DDH example.

So, and I've been in this scenario many times now. How would you advise I move forward if I'm In a race where a tunnel/tube is completely blocked by a few cars making it impossible to hit a checkpoint beyond and complete my lap?

Can't kick on my own and clearly outnumbered. Reporting does nothing short term at the very least, and I 'have to not quit' curious what you'd do is all.

Patience.

I would preferably wait for a opening and or continue the race. You cannot let your feelings get in the way of any activity. And that's a life lesson, partner.

Voodoo-Hendrix

A game community is just as toxic as the developers let them so is not surprising when some players resort to literally reporting you because you beat them at their own game.

The game is way too flawed for its own good and R* doesn't care because why would they? This game still sells like pancakes.

It's funny because you see games like Overwatch struggling to combat toxic behaviour at the point that they recently added a function that rewards players for being nice, even if some of them are faking it, who would have thought?

But R*? Ha! They benefit directly from all this toxicity, they don't give a f*ck about burning their premier game to the ground for one more Shark Card.

Hell, when you have a whole community who proudly call themselves "tryhards" and boast about playing as dirty as possible, you realize you have f*cked up big time.

Smokewood
4 minutes ago, Voodoo-Hendrix said:

A game community is just as toxic as the developers let them so is not surprising when some players resort to literally reporting you because you beat them at their own game.

The game is way too flawed for its own good and R* doesn't care because why would they? This game still sells like pancakes.

It's funny because you see games like Overwatch struggling to combat toxic behaviour at the point that they recently added a function that rewards players for being nice, even if some of them are faking it, who would have thought?

But R*? Ha! They benefit directly from all this toxicity, they don't give a f*ck about burning their premier game to the ground for one more Shark Card.

Hell, when you have a whole community who proudly call themselves "tryhards" and boast about playing as dirty as possible, you realize you have f*cked up big time.

But did they?

Their goal is to make as much money as possible, not only to pad their pockets, but also to attract the best talent they can hire.

I love this game - flaws and all.

I do burn out from time to time and take breaks....

HamwithCheese

They are f*cking up. It doesnt take a genius to see all the shortcomings of this game. However, it takes a few to build a game that directly competes against it and tries to rectify all those shortcomings. 

Nutduster

I love this game, but I also hate it.  It's wildly ambitious and the beauty and detail of the map (even five years later), and the breadth of all the things there are to do and buy and play with, take my breath away.  In some respects it feels like the ultimate GTA game - GTA was always about giving you more and more, just big piles of stuff to do and see and kill, and this game exceeds every previous GTA on those fronts massively.  And yet: it's grindy to a fault, plagued with microtransactions, infested with griefing and modding and glitching, and obvious problems go unaddressed for years while (most aggravatingly) half its players defend the bad decisions and exploits as if they were bona fide features.

I've put more time into this game by far than any other.  That strongly suggests that I like playing it, and mostly I do.  But it also qualifies me to have a very informed opinion about its flaws, and they are deep, and many.

KWF1981
37 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

I'm 48 years old. I don't give a rat's ass about politically correct behaviour.

Ahh, apologies for misinterpreting that there. And fair play on the political correctness, lol. (You'll love me then).

8 minutes ago, Firow said:

Patience.

I would preferably wait for a opening and or continue the race. You cannot let your feelings get in the way of any activity. And that's a life lesson, partner.

You're a f*cking idiot, plain and simple. Clearly a deliberate troll. But hey, fun is fun. Try again, lol.

Why should I/anyone have to wait and allow others to have fun at my expense when they are the one's going against the spirit of the game/mode and deliberately looking to hamper mine?

I'm there to race, the others are deliberately sabotaging the game mode. Why should anyone have to suffer a true bad sport, let alone a bunch of them? They simply shouldn't and anyone that suggests otherwise, really has nothing to add here, lol. You really telling me you'd just sit there all night if they don't budge?

I call bullsh*t on that.

Crokey

Thread so toxic, it needs it's own sign

3kUeQnR.png

There are B&M topics for B'ing&M'ing.  For the sake of everyone's sanity and to prevent this Biohazard, turning into a Nuclear topic, I'll just lock this one up.