2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

whatcorey

Why is GTA IV running horribly for me?

whatcorey

I surpass all the recommended requirements, and I can easily run gta 5 maxed out with no lag, but I cannot run this game. So far I've tried patch 1.0.7.0 and the game is a stutter mess, everything looks choppy and the framerate is very jumpy, ranging from 75-30 making the game unplayable. I tried the launch parameters such as -norestrictions and -nomemrestrict, but neither of those do anything for me. I even tried putting all settings at the lowest, still no improvement. It cannot be my rig that is the problem, is there something I can do to make this game run well? Im currently reinstalling the game and downgrading to 1.0.4.0 because I heard it runs well with that patch. Tried posting this on steam discussions but got no help at all. if someone can help me, please comment.

Asus gl702vs32 gigs of ram

windows 10 home

nvidia geforce gtx 1070 8gb

1 terabyte SSD and 1 terabyte HDD

7700 HQ i7 processor

Mr. Jago

There's nothing you can do, the game is just poorly optimized. If you've exhausted all the command line options and no version of the game runs well then you're out of luck.

GiveMeLiberty78
Posted (edited)

I am by no means an expert in hardware and software, but I have recently reinstalled GTA4 after previously installing it way back in 2010 then unintalling it in 2015. Anyway, maybe this will help but I see you run the Steam version whereas I run the good old boxed version:

• As Mr. Jago above says, if you exhaust everything that you and others recommend (including any Rockstar support pages), then it could just be that this old and poorly optimized game will not run for you. Hopefully this will not be the case (read on).
  • After you reinstall v1.0, if you decide to run the game (because some guides say this "finalizes the install"; not a problem with me though as I skipped this stage), then try to ignore any updates through Games for Windows Live (GFWL) and/or the Rockstar Games Social Club (RGSC) and/or Steam (not sure quite how Steam handles GTA 4) - GFWL and RGSC gave me a huge headache back in 2010 which is why in my most recent install I installed the base copy of the game, restarted my PC (an old habit) then applied the v1.0.4.0 patch without loading the game at all. This way, you might be able to avoid any updates that mean you must then downgrade to v1.0.4.0.
  • So after you've installed the base copy of the game, apply the v1.0.4.0 patch (which I have also read on many websites is the best version for performance, especially the ENB graphical mods if you intend to use one of their presets) then back up your files in case you need any of them - this might sound obvious or even unrelated but installing GTA4 was hard the first time round, and 8 years later (a few days ago) it was no easier. Files could go missing or be corrupted and they may help you in future.
  • Try to run XLiveLess (search for v0.999b7 which I think is the latest version) - it will remove GFWL and the RGSC which might be affecting your performance? I think you can run v1.0.4.0 without XLiveLess but it's a good idea to try using this as it stops GFWL and RGSC running, which might be acting like bloatware on your system (although I see you have good specs).
  • Have you tried using this -memrestrict function which involves adding specific numbers to the end of the command based on your graphics card's available VRAM?
  • Have you read this FAQ where stuttering issues are listed twice? Maybe one of these methods will help.
  • Do you run the latest graphics drivers?
  • Do you run any anti-virus software in 'grey mode' or 'silent mode' or whatever they call it? I find that Norton 360 will usually hog anywhere from 10-25% CPU capacity unless I run it in silent mode for a 24 hour period (resetting that once each day).
  • Similarly, have you checked your Task Manager to see if any other CPU-intensive processes are also running? (Maybe I clutch at straws at this point!)
  • Maybe remove any mods (scripts, textures, etc.) if you use any.
  • I see you are using Windows 10 which may handle GTA 4 different, so sorry this is beyond the edge of my knowledge as I run Windows 8.1.
  • Edit: Disable clip capture in either the initial start menu or the in-game menu - this may help as it stops the game's memory saving the last 30-60 seconds (or however long it is) from being cached in memory. Recommended for low-end computers but worth trying.

I don't normally say "good luck!" but it's my experience that with GTA 4 you actually do need it. Hopefully you can resolve it.

Edited by manana500

whatcorey
16 hours ago, manana500 said:

I am by no means an expert in hardware and software, but I have recently reinstalled GTA4 after previously installing it way back in 2010 then unintalling it in 2015. Anyway, maybe this will help but I see you run the Steam version whereas I run the good old boxed version:

• As Mr. Jago above says, if you exhaust everything that you and others recommend (including any Rockstar support pages), then it could just be that this old and poorly optimized game will not run for you. Hopefully this will not be the case (read on).
  • After you reinstall v1.0, if you decide to run the game (because some guides say this "finalizes the install"; not a problem with me though as I skipped this stage), then try to ignore any updates through Games for Windows Live (GFWL) and/or the Rockstar Games Social Club (RGSC) and/or Steam (not sure quite how Steam handles GTA 4) - GFWL and RGSC gave me a huge headache back in 2010 which is why in my most recent install I installed the base copy of the game, restarted my PC (an old habit) then applied the v1.0.4.0 patch without loading the game at all. This way, you might be able to avoid any updates that mean you must then downgrade to v1.0.4.0.
  • So after you've installed the base copy of the game, apply the v1.0.4.0 patch (which I have also read on many websites is the best version for performance, especially the ENB graphical mods if you intend to use one of their presets) then back up your files in case you need any of them - this might sound obvious or even unrelated but installing GTA4 was hard the first time round, and 8 years later (a few days ago) it was no easier. Files could go missing or be corrupted and they may help you in future.
  • Try to run XLiveLess (search for v0.999b7 which I think is the latest version) - it will remove GFWL and the RGSC which might be affecting your performance? I think you can run v1.0.4.0 without XLiveLess but it's a good idea to try using this as it stops GFWL and RGSC running, which might be acting like bloatware on your system (although I see you have good specs).
  • Have you tried using this -memrestrict function which involves adding specific numbers to the end of the command based on your graphics card's available VRAM?
  • Have you read this FAQ where stuttering issues are listed twice? Maybe one of these methods will help.
  • Do you run the latest graphics drivers?
  • Do you run any anti-virus software in 'grey mode' or 'silent mode' or whatever they call it? I find that Norton 360 will usually hog anywhere from 10-25% CPU capacity unless I run it in silent mode for a 24 hour period (resetting that once each day).
  • Similarly, have you checked your Task Manager to see if any other CPU-intensive processes are also running? (Maybe I clutch at straws at this point!)
  • Maybe remove any mods (scripts, textures, etc.) if you use any.
  • I see you are using Windows 10 which may handle GTA 4 different, so sorry this is beyond the edge of my knowledge as I run Windows 8.1.
  • Edit: Disable clip capture in either the initial start menu or the in-game menu - this may help as it stops the game's memory saving the last 30-60 seconds (or however long it is) from being cached in memory. Recommended for low-end computers but worth trying.

I don't normally say "good luck!" but it's my experience that with GTA 4 you actually do need it. Hopefully you can resolve it.

Thanks! I successfully downgraded to 1.0.4.0, but I want to run the LCPDFR mod, is there any versions that work with 1.0.4.0? really would like to play this mod

GiveMeLiberty78
Posted (edited)

You're welcome. Threads like this all seem to suggest that LCPDFR does not work with the v1.0.4.0 patch; however, you could try this link which appears to be compatible with v1.0.4.0. Good luck!

Edit: Somebody took the time to write an extensive account of making LCPDFR work with v1.0.4.0. It seems like to get GTAIV working, you have to have a lot of patience (unlike that angry guy who hangs around Hove Beach: "I'm sick of patience. I hate patience!").

For what it's worth, I run v1.0.4.0 with ENB + SweetFX but I do have some occasional performance issues. Lowering draw and detail distance from 100/100 to 50/100 has helped somewhat, but GTAIV is poorly optimized. I don't see why you could not backup your v1.0.4.0 version of the game, move it aside, then move your v1.0.7.0 version of the game into its place. I say this because some users report better stability (even for ENB) with v1.0.7.0. I know, talk about analysis paralysis!

Edited by manana500

Rotary
Posted (edited)

You can try to use Riva Tuner Statistics Server to lock the framerate, It might help with the stuttering.

Edited by Rotary

whatcorey
14 hours ago, manana500 said:

You're welcome. Threads like this all seem to suggest that LCPDFR does not work with the v1.0.4.0 patch; however, you could try this link which appears to be compatible with v1.0.4.0. Good luck!

Edit: Somebody took the time to write an extensive account of making LCPDFR work with v1.0.4.0. It seems like to get GTAIV working, you have to have a lot of patience (unlike that angry guy who hangs around Hove Beach: "I'm sick of patience. I hate patience!").

For what it's worth, I run v1.0.4.0 with ENB + SweetFX but I do have some occasional performance issues. Lowering draw and detail distance from 100/100 to 50/100 has helped somewhat, but GTAIV is poorly optimized. I don't see why you could not backup your v1.0.4.0 version of the game, move it aside, then move your v1.0.7.0 version of the game into its place. I say this because some users report better stability (even for ENB) with v1.0.7.0. I know, talk about analysis paralysis!

Thanks again, but when I downloaded it my antivirus detected it as a heurtic virus, and I scanned it on virustotal and multiple things came up, are you sure the file is safe? or is this a false positive?

GiveMeLiberty78
15 hours ago, whatcorey said:

Thanks again, but when I downloaded it my antivirus detected it as a heurtic virus, and I scanned it on virustotal and multiple things came up, are you sure the file is safe? or is this a false positive?

I don't run LCPDFR but for now I would play it safe: avoid it for now. I suggest that you message here on the GTAForums to see if someone can help you achieve compatibility with your version of GTA. You may also want to message someone at the LCPDFR forums - they might have a known safe version or be able to advise you. Anti-virus programs sometimes identify safe files as harmful because they look like viruses to them (better safe than sorry programming), but if in doubt then play it safe, don't download or keep it quarantined if you've already done so.

Sorry I can't help much more than that. I hope you find a working version.

ferguson99

Ever since GTA5 came out...…. Rockstar have ditched maintenance with ALL other games, even Red Dead Redemption is knackered.

GiveMeLiberty78
Posted (edited)

A shame isn't it? Especially since some of these games still have a huge player base. I would actually be willing to pay for a modern-day, optimised GTAIV upgrade, just like I'd pay for single player DLC for GTA 5 (and for GTA 4). But we all know GTA 5's single player DLC was scrapped as GTAO is doing too well. I get the business side of that decision but it's a shame. Like GTAIV being poorly optimized with so much potential and replay value. Right, back on track because as Fernando says, "I talk too much and my ratings could go down".

By the way, where was Fernando in the GTA 4 timeline? I don't recall him featuring at all.

Edited by manana500

whatcorey
9 hours ago, manana500 said:

I don't run LCPDFR but for now I would play it safe: avoid it for now. I suggest that you message here on the GTAForums to see if someone can help you achieve compatibility with your version of GTA. You may also want to message someone at the LCPDFR forums - they might have a known safe version or be able to advise you. Anti-virus programs sometimes identify safe files as harmful because they look like viruses to them (better safe than sorry programming), but if in doubt then play it safe, don't download or keep it quarantined if you've already done so.

Sorry I can't help much more than that. I hope you find a working version.

I'll try on the LCPDFR forums. usually I've seen them put responses like "it is not compatible with 1.0.4.0" but ill try anyway. 1.0.7.0 is just a horrible mess, I don't understand how anyone can find that version enjoyable. Ill try again on here to, thanks.

CartmanKusanagi
9 hours ago, manana500 said:

By the way, where was Fernando in the GTA 4 timeline? I don't recall him featuring at all.

He's the DJ on Vice City FM in EFLC.

GiveMeLiberty78
11 hours ago, whatcorey said:

I'll try on the LCPDFR forums. usually I've seen them put responses like "it is not compatible with 1.0.4.0" but ill try anyway. 1.0.7.0 is just a horrible mess, I don't understand how anyone can find that version enjoyable. Ill try again on here to, thanks.

OK, good luck and I saw your forum post - hopefully someone somewhere will have a lead.

10 hours ago, CartmanKusanagi said:

He's the DJ on Vice City FM in EFLC.

Aaah, so that's where he was hiding! Thanks Cartman, I'll go listen to it. I always liked Fernando and although I think GTA5's writing was apt/appropriate to the times, I think it is a shame that his segment was so small and that his misogyny was constantly interrupted/corrected by his female radio host - the show felt a bit dull compared to his previous appearances. By the way, I am not a misogynist myself but I always found Fernando to be funny. His short segment in GTA5 felt more a cameo so I hope that he will feature more heavily in the next GTA.

Official General
Posted (edited)
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:27 AM, whatcorey said:

I surpass all the recommended requirements, and I can easily run gta 5 maxed out with no lag, but I cannot run this game. So far I've tried patch 1.0.7.0 and the game is a stutter mess, everything looks choppy and the framerate is very jumpy, ranging from 75-30 making the game unplayable. I tried the launch parameters such as -norestrictions and -nomemrestrict, but neither of those do anything for me. I even tried putting all settings at the lowest, still no improvement. It cannot be my rig that is the problem, is there something I can do to make this game run well? Im currently reinstalling the game and downgrading to 1.0.4.0 because I heard it runs well with that patch. Tried posting this on steam discussions but got no help at all. if someone can help me, please comment.

Asus gl702vs32 gigs of ram

windows 10 home

nvidia geforce gtx 1070 8gb

1 terabyte SSD and 1 terabyte HDD

7700 HQ i7 processor

I might be able to help you....

Right click the IV launcher icon and go to properties. Where it says IV launcher, double space after it and copy and paste -norestrictions and -nomemrestrict. Then create a Notepad file titled "commandline.txt" containing -norestrictions and -nomemrestrict, double spaced from the start of the page. Place the Notepad file in your IV main game folder. Load IV and it should allow you to unrestrict your graphic card's capabilities within the game and choose top graphic settings. 

Also download a good ENB, the best version is CryENB v3. This will make your game look much better and retain the original IV look.

I'm using version 1.0.7.0 and it works ok for me, but the fps in IV as you already know is not its best strength, even at 60fps and above. Either way, it still worked fine to the point it was bearable enough for me.  

Edited by Official General

GiveMeLiberty78

@whatcorey Compared to your fps using v1.0.7.0 without graphical addons, what is your fps using v1.0.4.0 without mods? Although many users on different forums report v1.0.4.0 being the most stable (generally) and offering the best performance for the ENB graphics enhancements, your experience may differ.

Also, re-reading your original post, I notice two different problems:

1. You report having "lag" which you later qualify by saying you have "fluctuating fps" - some forum users suggest that this is caused by GTAIV being poorly optimized for PC, meaning that even players with high-spec machines need to decrease settings, particularly draw distance and detail distance which rely heavily on CPU resources.
  2. You also report having "stutters" - some forum users suggest that this is not the same as poor fps but may be caused by other factors like memory restrictions (as Official General posted above) or even some other background program running (put anti-virus software in silent mode if you can and close as may other programs as you safely can).

Even on my high-spec PC which runs GTA5 on very high settings, I must run GTAIV at 50/100 for for draw and detail distances. This is despite my CPU barely reaching 55-60 degrees celcius under load in the game, and my quad-cores are not particularly busy.

Ultimately it sounds like you have what I and quite a lot of other plays have - good PCs but a poorly optimized GTAIV, nothing we can really do about that. I run Windows 8.1 64-bit but I've also read W10 can have even more problems. Also try to play around with vsync settings (different combinations with your graphics card's settings and in-game settings). Oh and maybe reduce traffic density (also poorly optimized - not much spawns in the area until you've been there a while, then the roads normally become grid-locked whilst nothing spawns in the distance).

Official General
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, manana500 said:

GTAIV being poorly optimized for PC, meaning that even players with high-spec machines need to decrease settings, particularly draw distance and detail distance which rely heavily on CPU resources.

I had to do this too. Anything over 50/100 in draw distance and detail distance settings, stutters my game bad, it took me a little while to figure this issue out. 

Like you say, IV is poorly optimized for the PC in general, so it's not ever gonna run and smooth as V does on the PC. 

Edited by Official General

whatcorey
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:54 AM, manana500 said:

OK, good luck and I saw your forum post - hopefully someone somewhere will have a lead.

Aaah, so that's where he was hiding! Thanks Cartman, I'll go listen to it. I always liked Fernando and although I think GTA5's writing was apt/appropriate to the times, I think it is a shame that his segment was so small and that his misogyny was constantly interrupted/corrected by his female radio host - the show felt a bit dull compared to his previous appearances. By the way, I am not a misogynist myself but I always found Fernando to be funny. His short segment in GTA5 felt more a cameo so I hope that he will feature more heavily in the next GTA.

so I did some searching on LCPDFR forums, but the developers aren't helping. They just say the same thing, "use the latest version, lcpdfr is not compatible with 1.0.4.0

GiveMeLiberty78

That's ashame, I know it sucks when you can't get something to work that you want to work. You may have to keep trying to look or PM'ing individuals in that thread where you downloaded the apparently compatible version (the one that your anti-virus quarantined).