Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    2. News

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

    1. GTA Online

      1. After Hours
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
    2. Crews

      1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA Next

    3. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

    6. GTA Vice City Stories

    7. GTA Liberty City Stories

    8. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

    2. Site Suggestions

Mikeyanks96

Sports teams/Stadiums in next game

Stadium/Teams in next game  

9 members have voted

  1. 1. Should rockstar implement accessible stadiums and professional sports teams more into the next game?

    • Stadiums YES, teams YES
      8
    • Stadiums YES, teams NO
      1
    • Stadiums NO, teams NO
      0
  2. 2. If R* did add a sports stadium with a team in it, would enjoy side missions involving the team and potentially betting on games?

    • Yes please!
      9
    • No thank you!
      0


Recommended Posts

Mikeyanks96
Posted (edited)

First off. I love GTA like we all do. None of this is to diss the game and I realize all of these ideas take a lot of effort in development, but just hear me out for a second.

 

Whenever I’ve played GTA V, cruising thru LS and seeing Maze Bank arena, I feel like R* missed a golden opportunity to incorporate this awesome arena more into the game, instead of that singular mission where you chase Lazlow for filming Tracy’s audition. One major part of American culture IS sports, and although you can buy hats, t-shirts and jerseys for different teams and drive by Maze Bank Arena, the sports in LS is for the large part neglected. There is baseball apparel for the LS Feud, but not even a baseball field. There is a football field on the ULSA campus, so that does count for something. But what’s worse is GTA IV, where the LC Swingers supposedly play in Dukes, but there isn’t any actual stadium. And MSG, a major landmark in New York City, doesn’t exist either. I’d like to see this addressed in the next game.

 

I think for the next game, especially with this Supreme Court ruling about sports gambling, the teams in the city should become a little more involved in the plotline. For example, doing dirty work like stealing PED’s for a pro athlete, or threatening a player on a rival team to throw a game are two potential missions that would be pretty fun. Remember, pro athletes are highly paid famous young men living in a big city, and they are relatable to a lot of Americans who love sports. They could make really good mission bosses. And, minigames like betting on games, going to games, etc makes the city feel more believable. It doesn’t have to be a huge part of the storyline or game, just could be used for a mission or two. But, including that would take the game up another notch.

 

Many American cities are OBSESSED with sports, and many of these cities would make great GTA cities. I’m thinking about Boston, New York and Philadelphia specifically, all 3 are very different but recognizable cities that have GTA-Friendly maps with a lot of things to do, diversity in terms of neighborhoods and many different unique personalities. Its a little off-topic, but I actually think a Boston-Liberty City-Philly-Capital City (Washington DC) map could work on a map with a total area just a tiny bit larger than the GTA V map, (because the cities are close enough together without a lot of empty space in-between) that the map could be largely vertical and skinnier than the V map. All 4 would definitely be hard, but a map with 3 of the 4 cities (Liberty City and Capital City at the very least) is very doable, as IV’s LC map only would require some minor updates, and DC isn’t too big, if R* wanted to they could do it. Anyways, my point is, this sports idea could definitely work and would really bring the game to new heights

Edited by Mikeyanks96

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike

I was really surprised that IV had no stadiums, despite there obviously being numerous sports teams that exist. The Swinger's supposed "stadium" is even marked on the map on the game's website at Meadows Park, and before the game came out, everybody thought it was going to be a recreation of the old Shea Stadium (where the Mets used to play before the new stadium was built next door). Instead, it's a little league baseball field. I was surprised that Yankee Stadium wasn't even included, given how much of a landmark in the Bronx that it is.

 

I like the idea of involving sports teams in the plot though. I don't recall sports being too heavily involved in any GTA, either. Just Tommy buying the car dealership off of the ex-football player, and Luis storming the hockey team's office and killing the team's manager because Bulgarin wanted to own the team. Having a string of missions taking place that involve a corrupt team management of some kind would be pretty awesome. Or it could be BOGT style where the player has a job at a stadium with one of the teams and his errand-running eventually leads to bigger criminal opportunities. Pretty much any major city with a major team of some kind would make a good setting for this type of game.

 

Legal sports betting would also be something cool to include, kind of like the off-track betting in SA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikeyanks96
10 minutes ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

I was really surprised that IV had no stadiums, despite there obviously being numerous sports teams that exist. The Swinger's supposed "stadium" is even marked on the map on the game's website at Meadows Park, and before the game came out, everybody thought it was going to be a recreation of the old Shea Stadium (where the Mets used to play before the new stadium was built next door). Instead, it's a little league baseball field. I was surprised that Yankee Stadium wasn't even included, given how much of a landmark in the Bronx that it is.

 

I like the idea of involving sports teams in the plot though. I don't recall sports being too heavily involved in any GTA, either. Just Tommy buying the car dealership off of the ex-football player, and Luis storming the hockey team's office and killing the team's manager because Bulgarin wanted to own the team. Having a string of missions taking place that involve a corrupt team management of some kind would be pretty awesome. Or it could be BOGT style where the player has a job at a stadium with one of the teams and his errand-running eventually leads to bigger criminal opportunities. Pretty much any major city with a major team of some kind would make a good setting for this type of game.

 

Legal sports betting would also be something cool to include, kind of like the off-track betting in SA.

100% agreed. You took the words right out of my mouth.

 

When they made Bohan, which is based off of the Bronx, obviously, there is absolutely nothing (besides MAYBE the Big Pun lookalike memorial) to make it feel like the Bronx, other than poverty. Now, The Bronx (outside of Riverdale) is a pretty uneventful crime ridden borough for the most part without a lot to distinguish it from other poor parts of NYC. The one landmark that it does have, which makes it recognizable is Yankee Stadium. Something like that in the game would’ve been worthwhile and REALLY COOL. Instead of that, or Shea Stadium, all we got was a crappy little league field for the “Junior Swingers”. Oh, and “Rucker Park” in Holland instead of a R* version of MSG. No hockey rinks or football fields in sight either. I just feel like if you’re going to say a team plays in the city, at least show where they play. Don’t omit it on the map!!!

 

The thing about most of the GTA cities is, the sports teams that play there are a major attraction/part of the city fabric. You walk down any street in Manhattan at any time of the year, you will see somebody rocking a Yankee cap. You take the subway, you will see somebody with a Yankee cap. If it’s not a Yankee cap, it’s something related to either the Knicks, Mets, Rangers or Giants. In LA, it seems like the best way for celebrities to blend in with the general population is a Dodger cap and shades. Lakers apparel doesn’t hurt either. San Francisco has that beautiful AT&T ballpark right on the water, and the Warriors are the best team in the NBA. In Miami, “The U”, the Dolphins and the Heat are all really popular (Marlins&Panthers not so much). These teams are a big part of the cities they play in, and if Rockstar is going to make a city feel even realer, actually involving these teams in the game (even in the most minor of ways, for a mission or two) actually can do that. Its actually kind of funny that the only baseball stadium R* designed (actually a really great stadium btw) was in Las Venturas, when in real life the only baseball Vegas has is the Mets’ triple-A affiliate.

 

Pardon my rant, I just feel like this is a great detail that has been forgotten in past games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike
Posted (edited)

I have to agree. Bohan was a very poor representation of the Bronx, although I think part of the problem was how small it was. Including a stadium based on Yankee Stadium would have at least given it a proper landmark and a fun place to explore, instead of the apartment buildings and industrial areas, and then the one place kinda-sorta based on the Hub.

 

Maybe they figure that a baseball stadium wouldn't be worth designing because it'd require much more detail than the one in Las Venturas. This could be why the Maze Bank Arena in V was a domed stadium and didn't resemble any stadium in LA in real life besides maybe being a tinier and domed take on the Memorial Coliseum. Something based on the Staples Center and closer to downtown would have made more sense, especially since the LS basketball team played at the Maze Bank Arena even though its real life equivalent is a football stadium. Nonetheless, it'd still be an awesome place to explore if they included an open stadium. I think online deathmatches would be really fun there, too!

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikeyanks96
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

I have to agree. Bohan was a very poor representation of the Bronx, although I think part of the problem was how small it was. Including a stadium based on Yankee Stadium would have at least given it a proper landmark and a fun place to explore, instead of the apartment buildings and industrial areas, and then the one place kinda-sorta based on the Hub.

 

Maybe they figure that a baseball stadium wouldn't be worth designing because it'd require much more detail than the one in Las Venturas. This could be why the Maze Bank Arena in V was a domed stadium and didn't resemble any stadium in LA in real life besides maybe being a tinier and domed take on the Memorial Coliseum. Something based on the Staples Center and closer to downtown would have made more sense, especially since the LS basketball team played at the Maze Bank Arena even though its real life equivalent is a football stadium. Nonetheless, it'd still be an awesome place to explore if they included an open stadium. I think online deathmatches would be really fun there, too!

Bohan was very small, and it did feel too small, mainly because it was a stand-alone Island. I think if it was connected to a mainland type area on the map without being a standalone island it’d feel bigger. Dukes as a borough (outside of the airport) is pretty small as well, but it doesn’t feel small because it’s connected to Broker and isn’t a standalone island. This is part of the reason I so badly want a multi-city GTA including Liberty City. Liberty City alone is great, but with another city or two to compliment it, it would feel bigger overall and wouldn’t be as monotonous (all city), given that the map has proper spacing. I’ve suggested a Boston-LC-Philly-DC/Boston-LC-DC/LC-Philly-DC map in the future, a map only R* can do, which is a map that would put Liberty City in proper context with other cities on the East Coast and would make the city feel as if it’s part of something larger instead of a bunch of small islands in the middle of the ocean. I digress.

 

And I think Maze Bank Arena was much more reminiscent of The Forum (which is in Inglewood/South LA like Maze Bank is in South LS), than Staples Center (as you said, Staples is in DTLA, Maze Bank isn’t). You’re also right about the similarities to the Memorial Coliseum. And yes, an accessible & open baseball/football stadium would be really cool. If LS had Dodger Stadium by that giant racing track, it would’ve worked perfectly, even in terms of location because Dodger Stadium is just north of DTLA, just like that track. It would definitely require more detail than the Las Venturas Stadium, but it doesn’t need to be absolutely enormous either. Just enough detail and size for us to know that it’s a popular place and give us the vibes of a baseball stadium. It would be incredible to explore and have multi-player in a Stadium. A lot of possible things somebody could do. Hopefully somebody from R* sees this and they implement my ideas in the next game. Lol

Edited by Mikeyanks96

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zello
Posted (edited)

Just have a couple missions where you give some athlete PEDs to revive his career or maybe they get involved in gambling and owe the protagonist or the protagonists boss a lot of money. They can't pay you so you break their legs.

 

Definitely agree on having stadiums. When I think of Boston I think of Fenway park. When I think of New York it's Yankee stadium, Citi Field, and MSG. LA Staples Center and Dodger stadium.

Edited by Zello

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike
Posted (edited)

Yeah, a lot of stadiums are iconic to the cities that they're in. I'm surprised GTA IV and V never actually bothered with including something resembling the real-life locations. Every III era location had a stadium. And if they wanted indoor/domed stadiums, they still had options with Madison Square Garden and the Staples Center. Instead, they chose to have nothing in IV and an even uglier version of an already ugly real-life stadium in V.

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikeyanks96
18 hours ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

Yeah, a lot of stadiums are iconic to the cities that they're in. I'm surprised GTA IV and V never actually bothered with including something resembling the real-life locations. Every III era location had a stadium. And if they wanted indoor/domed stadiums, they still had options with Madison Square Garden and the Staples Center. Instead, they chose to have nothing in IV and an even uglier version of an already ugly real-life stadium in V.

 

I can’t, for the life of me figure out why R* neglected MSG. Not only is it a major New York landmark, but it also serves as a major transportation hub/subway station, as Penn Station sits directly below the Garden. You’re 100% right in my opinion. I’ve always kinda felt this way but thought I was alone in my thinking. I’m glad to see some other GTA fans think like me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikeyanks96
Posted (edited)

 

18 hours ago, Zello said:

Just have a couple missions where you give some athlete PEDs to revive his career or maybe they get involved in gambling and owe the protagonist or the protagonists boss a lot of money. They can't pay you so you break their legs.

 

Definitely agree on having stadiums. When I think of Boston I think of Fenway park. When I think of New York it's Yankee stadium, Citi Field, and MSG. LA Staples Center and Dodger stadium.

You’re right on all of those examples and that type of mission would be awesome! I’ve always felt Boston would be a great GTA city and it’s not Boston without Fenway. Can’t have it without TD Garden, either. There are a few more examples as well. Like you can’t have Toronto without Rogers Centre right under the CN Tower. Chicago isn’t Chicago without Wrigley or Soldier Field. New Orleans and the Superdome go hand in hand. Busch Stadium is a St Louis staple. Even though it’s now a Bass Pro Shops, one of the unique things about Memphis besides Graceland and Beale St has been the giant downtown pyramid where the Grizzlies used to play. Heck, even Pittsburgh is different without Heinz Field and PNC park right across the river from downtown. And that’s not even mentioning all the college football stadiums which are the lifeblood of campuses and college towns all across the country. A stadium, for better or worse, is part of the DNA of a city, and it’s smart for R* to include a real one in the next game

Edited by Mikeyanks96

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike
14 minutes ago, Mikeyanks96 said:
 

I can’t, for the life of me figure out why R* neglected MSG. Not only is it a major New York landmark, but it also serves as a major transportation hub/subway station, as Penn Station sits directly below the Garden. You’re 100% right in my opinion. I’ve always kinda felt this way but thought I was alone in my thinking. I’m glad to see some other GTA fans think like me.

Exactly. As someone familiar with the area around MSG and Penn Station due to having to take Amtrak to and from there, it was surprising to see this basically neglected. I get that there's no reason for trains like Amtrak to be in the game, let alone have more than one station (since there's a Grand Central Station lookalike already in the game), but with a major landmark right next door, it's something that seemed like it'd have been a no brainer.

 

Then again, they also completely skipped out on other areas of NY that I guess they saw as boring but still would have been nice to include. A good landmark for Bohan (which would have definitely been a Yankee Stadium parody), something resembling the Rockaway peninsula, Riker's Island (instead we got an Alderney state prison that was based on something in Trenton, which is far away from NYC), and Staten Island (I know that's considered the boring suburban area, but the open land there could have also served as the countryside that people were complaining that GTA IV lacked).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikeyanks96
4 hours ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

Exactly. As someone familiar with the area around MSG and Penn Station due to having to take Amtrak to and from there, it was surprising to see this basically neglected. I get that there's no reason for trains like Amtrak to be in the game, let alone have more than one station (since there's a Grand Central Station lookalike already in the game), but with a major landmark right next door, it's something that seemed like it'd have been a no brainer.

 

Then again, they also completely skipped out on other areas of NY that I guess they saw as boring but still would have been nice to include. A good landmark for Bohan (which would have definitely been a Yankee Stadium parody), something resembling the Rockaway peninsula, Riker's Island (instead we got an Alderney state prison that was based on something in Trenton, which is far away from NYC), and Staten Island (I know that's considered the boring suburban area, but the open land there could have also served as the countryside that people were complaining that GTA IV lacked).

Yea Rikers would’ve been far better than that Trenton based prison. It’s one of the most famous prisons in America, right there in New York. There could’ve been some missions in the Rikers Cell block. I’m a Bergen County NJ resident so I know the area that Alderney was supposed to be based on better than most, and honestly it kinda feels like they tried to put everything in the entire state in the little area of NJ that Alderney represents. Like they included the state prison that is halfway to Philadelphia in real life, the casino which is down the shore in Asbury Park, and overall it didn’t feel realistic. I get that New York City is the focus of IV, but if they did expand the map of Alderney and maybe included Westchester/Hudson Valley and Long Island, the map would feel more realistic. But I’m just nitpicking at this point. I really hope the next map can wow me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike
1 hour ago, Mikeyanks96 said:

There could’ve been some missions in the Rikers Cell block. I’m a Bergen County NJ resident so I know the area that Alderney was supposed to be based on better than most, and honestly it kinda feels like they tried to put everything in the entire state in the little area of NJ that Alderney represents. Like they included the state prison that is halfway to Philadelphia in real life, the casino which is down the shore in Asbury Park, and overall it didn’t feel realistic. I get that New York City is the focus of IV, but if they did expand the map of Alderney and maybe included Westchester/Hudson Valley and Long Island, the map would feel more realistic. But I’m just nitpicking at this point. I really hope the next map can wow me 

I just think that since it's an iconic prison, it would have made sense to include. Would have made for an awesome setting for TLAD's final mission, too. Not to mention, when Gerry McReary was busted, it would have made more sense for him to be held somewhere in LC, as opposed to being thrown in jail in another state (I get that his crimes could have been committed in Alderney, but it was never mentioned that that's what happened and most of the stuff he did was in Dukes and Algonquin anyway).

 

I'm not from New Jersey, but I always figured that most of Alderney was supposed to be based on Hudson and Bergen counties. Except for the casino and prison that are both far away from NY. Even back when the game came out, when I looked it up and found out that the casino was actually pretty far away in real life, it seemed kind of weird of them to include. It's still a cool place, but I don't think that's considered the NYC area. By the way, originally, GTA IV's map was supposed to be set in the entire state of Liberty, as opposed to just LC and Alderney. So they probably originally intended on including upstate New York and Long Island, too, before shifting the focus to being the city only. I wish they wouldn't be such sticklers about pre-release content and just show us what the map they drew up looked like, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VictorVance1239

I'd be more interested in outdoor sports (street hoops, tackle football, baseball, volleyball, etc) rather than an arena but I wont complain either way. 

 

I'm surprised Rockstar didn't take advantage of the college arena around the time the Olympics came around back in 2016. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.