2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Domand

Who was the best Antagonist/Enemy?

Domand

So out of the different impactful Antagonist in the game, which one do you think was the best or your favorite?

I gotta go with Tenpenny. Such a good antagonist and I think they did really well writing him. I also gotta give respect to Big Smoke. With his writing and betrayal, he made a pretty good enough surprise antagonist. Still though I would prefer Tenpenny and like him the most out of all the other villains in the game.

TheSantader25

1)Tenpenny

2)Big Smoke

3)Pulaski

4)T Bone

The funny thing is that this game had such a good cast of antagonists that each of them could be the best antagonist in the other GTAs as well. 

Crossbones

Big Smoke, because his betrayal was the most shocking thing to me in the entire series. Tenpenny and T Bone were good too as antagonists.

Nuddle King

Well, the best antagonist was Big Smoke, everybody was fell sad for him after seeing his betrayls, Rockstar didn't expect the players will cry and be sad about Big Smoke, now everybody still remember his name, Big Smoke. a funny legend never forgetten.

Also, Ryder may actually be the second best antagonist, he was funny and has some nice lines tho, we have great times with him in the missions, I liked him when he was insulting CJ everytime when I played GTA SA when I was a 10 kid, that makes me laugh so much, but when I tried killing Ryder in his death mission, I let him running with his boat and fail the mission, I was so sad to kill him. Now I am good than ever and I finished GTA SA with no offense.

Evil empire

Frank Tenpenny is the best followed by Big Smoke although the latter looks more sympathic than antipathic despite his treason.

T-Bone Mendez and Pulaski are also very immersion-friendly evil guys but Mendez is extremely irritating and Pulaski lacks of charism and presence.

Am Shaegar

Every antagonist in this game, whether minor or major, is a favorite of mine. But the baddest dude of them all is Tenpenny. This guy is one of my all time favorite video game characters.

The fact that Tenpenny's character was heavily inspired by the corrupt cops and the CRASH unit of that time, makes him even more intetesting for me that stands out about him over boring, generic mob bosses like Dimitri.

Tenpenny was a constant pain. The writers have cleay put efforts in making him a "unique" character than prev antagonists in  the series, in my opinion, Tenpenny still remains unsurpassed as the greatest and the most unique anatagonist we've experienced so far. Sure, Tenpenny may not be that interesting and "unique" anymore in 2018 but for its time the game became not only quite popular for CJ and sandbox world in general, but I do remember Tenpenny's character grabbing attention in a good way for many gaming publications back then. 

Because of Tenpenny's roots with the real life events, the character feels far more believable in the antagonist's role than say, a fictional and generic mob boss like Dimitri. He remains the meanest corrupt cop right till the end of the story. I don't find any antagonists in the series that has left a negative impact on the world they are a part of, as Tenpenny, based on the events in the story, including the public sentiments during the riots that trigger after knowing Tenpenny stands acquitted which causes the city to breakdown.

I never got that sense with guys like Dimitri.

Because Tenpenny maintained a terrific presence right until the last mission, giving a memorable speech that leaves you asking important questions about the widespread corruption within the anti-gang unit.

He was seriously an awesome villain, and actually feels quite strong as a character that truly makes a villain - a VILLAIN, than just giving empty threats and making stupid phone calls in GTA IV. Like c'mon, is that what you expect from an antagonist? Or expect guys like Tenpenny that are manipulative, bad and very clever too. He uses CJ to get rid of his rivals, turned CJ's closed ones into his enemies, and then used them to get rid of CJ too. Like, f*ck!

This guy is ingenious, and portrays his role so realistically. The ending was perfect, although people might have thought that CJ is going to kill Tenpenny. But Rockstar broke the tradition to offer a more realistic finale. Kudos to them!

Pulaski is my second favorite in the series and deserves a mention. His last words always leaves me laughing uncontrollably. :lol: :lol:

Big_Smiley
Posted (edited)

@Am Shaegar Remember.......Samuel L. Jackson. The genius behind voicing Tenpenny. One of my all time gratest actor in movies. What a fantastic job he did with his character. After playing SA's story the first coule of times back in 2004-2005 I hated his guts all the way to end for being a complete ass to CJ. The same with Pulaski voiced by Chriss Penn (RIP). But that was the way it was supposed to be. R* wanted the player to hate them deeply as both being antagonist. Still comes in first by my book of all gta antagonist with Dimitri from IV coming in at a slight second.

Edited by Big_Smiley

Am Shaegar
14 minutes ago, Big_Smiley said:

@Am Shaegar Remember.......Samuel L. Jackson. The genius behind voicing Tenpenny. 

Oh yes, the reason I didn't mention Jackson is because everybody loves his voice acting but I wanted to express how great Tenpenny is as a character, since there are people who try to mislead others into believing that Tenpenny's popularity is simoly because of Jackson voicing him. In my opinion, whoever says that is lying.

Jackson's voice is awesome but so is Tenpenny as the villain on its own.

Nuddle King

I mean GTA SA is great and all, famous movies actors acting in GTA SA(Samuel L. Jackson, Chriss Penn, etc) and there characters from Vice City and Liberty City, like it's a crossover game or something, that what makes the game good.

Samuel acting for Tenpenny was really good, even in the ending, but the game facts still facts, Tenpenny is our Villian, and nothing can't change his character from now on, Seriously, what if another actor voiced Tenpenny expect Jackson?Playes will say it's gonna be a mistake, but that not true, the true thing that make GTA SA so popular till now, It's Big Smoke memories.

GTA_CAT

For anyone that played the game when being a kid or a teenager BS betrayal was a punch in the heart😂, emotionally speaking, and if you immersed enough in the game, you had a hard time figuring out the situation. Then Tenpenny, despite being a cliche of a neverending and unkillable enemy, was great though. You had the whole storyline to rise anger against him and in the final mission the game shows you that things return to place and CJ is told not to kill him, just let him die like karma putting things in balance. A great lesson that deepens into CJ's morality. There's also Jizzy B, treating woman bad and you kill him and etc...

Official General

1. Big Smoke has to be first for me. The fact that Big Smoke was supposed to be CJ's very close friend of so many years, and like an older, brotherly figure that always looked out for him made his betrayal feel all the more so significant and treacherous. My anger for Big Smoke's betrayal intensified after more story playthroughs, once I noticed all the signs he was secretly an enemy of CJ, signs I did not notice the first time. It made me wanna kill Big Smoke more than any of the other antagonists. 

2. Officer Pulaski. What a right b*stard, a foul-mouthed, evil lowlife with no respect. I mean, he made fun of CJ's mother's dead body, that is the lowest blow one can go. 

3. Officer Tennpenny. He was spectacularly great, but he's third, only because he was obviously the bad guy to CJ from the start. 

Tao Cheng

The Foreman that harassed Kendl.

confederatestatesgta

ryder. even though i dont think he should have been an antagonist.

DirtCheap

Tenpenny is the best GTA villain.

Try prove me wrong.

Veigar

Tenpenny IMO because I actually felt emotion towards him. No other GTA Antagonist really had me hate them for the right reason like him. 

TheseThomas
On 7/15/2018 at 6:27 AM, TheSantader25 said:

1)Tenpenny

2)Big Smoke

3)Pulaski

4)T Bone

The funny thing is that this game had such a good cast of antagonists that each of them could be the best antagonist in the other GTAs as well. 

Agreed.

Jeansowaty

I will get a lot of hate for this, but... I didn't like the way Tenpenny was created as an antagonist. I did hate his guts and wanted him dead, R* wrote him really good, though I believe he's portrayed more as a bully than as a real antagonist. Why does he hate CJ so much and tries to pin the blame for everything on him? He has him in his pocket and even beats him up, and you don't even get a chance to shoot him yourself.

TheSantader25
4 hours ago, Jeansowaty said:

. Why does he hate CJ so much and tries to pin the blame for everything on him? He has him in his pocket and even beats him up, and you don't even get a chance to shoot him yourself.

Well he is an antagonist. That's what they do. Did you want him to kiss CJ and make up with him? 

∴
1 hour ago, TheSantader25 said:

Well he is an antagonist. That's what they do. Did you want him to kiss CJ and make up with him? 

Clearly not, he's wondering why we didn't get a one-on-one chance to shoot him like we did with Smoke. He's not asking for dating tips.

Is it right to call Toreno an antagonist, even if it's just for a small portion of the game? From first meeting him, we're led to believe he's a scummy government agent. This doesn't exactly change, but our perspective of him shifts so dramatically it's easy to forget how jarring this must be. Voiced by the charismatic James Woods, each line is delivered perfectly. His attitude? Clear. His motives? Murky. Despite all of this, Toreno not only takes CJ under his wing, but gives him heavy paying work and actually delivers on his promise in reuniting him with Sweet. It's clear that Toreno respects Carl, even after an attempted assassination attempt.

He might be more of an anti-hero, but Toreno has the makings of a true villain. The only difference is he's on our side.

Jeansowaty
17 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Yes, but the reason why he actually chose CJ to be his victim is never stated.

TheSantader25
13 minutes ago, Jeansowaty said:

The 20 minute introduction does explain that. Big Smoke is seen to be afraid of CJ's powers before he comes. Tenpenny controlled CJ under his wings so that he wouldn't ruin their plan. 

Am Shaegar
10 minutes ago, Jeansowaty said:

Because CJ is the playable character in the game. Officer Hernandez, Pulaski are shown as his victims later in the story. Just because CJ was only shown with him throughout the story doesn't mean there are not others working as his puppets, both in other gang factions and police officer inside the CRASH unit. The story does make us realize about what Tenpenny is capable of. Tenpenny doesn't spend his whole time only giving orders to CJ. There maybe other CJ's who are his victims and being used for whatever pressures they suffer because of Tenpenny, drug abuse, and other exploitation well documented on wikipedia about the real life CRASH units and the way they run anti-gang units. I think you need to understand that Tenpenny's background goes long back in the history of the LA in 1990's. He's not just another corrupt cop using people to run his errands as you seem to suggest by saying that he feels like a bully than an antagonist. Tenpenny is running a big drug empire. Big Smoke and such other drug dealers are manipulated by officers like Tenpenny. 

He is an antagonist because he is using people like Smoke, Ryder, and several others to further his drug empire. GSF was most (if not the only gang) affected as very clearly shown in the conversations between Sweet and CJ early in the game. CJ lost his mother, and then his brother behind prison, and yet you find Tenpenny just a bully? What about those whose life was getting destroyed due to drugs in LS? Is a bully capable to affect so many lives that they completely lose their territories?

watersgta3
Posted (edited)

Since there are only three main antagonists, the list is pretty obvious.

1. Tenpenny - Honestly, is there anything I can say about this guy that ain't been said before?

2. Pulaski - Even though he was Tenpenny's sycophant, the fact that he's a racist prick without any redeeming qualities places him a close second to Tenpenny.

3. Big Smoke - You gotta give Smoke a lot of props. Even though I knew he would betray the gang, he had everyone else fooled with his nice guy act as a mask for his own betrayal and put on a badass gun battle. A good character overall.

Edited by watersgta3

Big_Smiley
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Am Shaegar said:

There maybe other CJ's who are his victims and being used for whatever pressures they suffer because of Tenpenny, drug abuse, and other exploitation well documented on wikipedia about the real life CRASH units and the way they run anti-gang units. I think you need to understand that Tenpenny's background goes long back in the history of the LA in 1990's. He's not just another corrupt cop using people to run his errands as you seem to suggest by saying that he feels like a bully than an antagonist. 

Exactly :^: Looks like Shaegar gets the whole thing. Long story short CJ took part in doing Tenpenny's dirty work for him. In the acutal reality for many hoods around LA this is how they worked. My oldest cousin told us many years back, that instead of controlling and stopping the increase rate of gangs and violence throughout the neighborhoods, many officers worked along with them as part of corruption. I recall way back in the early 2000's just when the real life C.R.A.S.H dissovled a year back a couple of few officers from that division we're still around just not crash units anymore. Just regular gang unit squads and we would encounter a few of these officers in the streets but we would never cooperate with them in any damn way knowing what they were capable of. Many cliques around the neighborhoods never took to kindly to any police in the first place. These dudes had some major balls patrolling these areas back then.

The real life events that SA portrayed is no joke. This is how things were back then. Those we're much different times compared to today. LA has seen many changes throught the years but it's gang presence still even today is a reminiscent of what used to be a war zone back then. Just a lot calmer.  So Tenpenny is a perfect example of many real life corrupt cops that didn't work to stop any violence but worked along with it and manipulate their vitcitms who were heavily involved in such activities. Just like CJ for example.

Edited by Big_Smiley
*Edits*

AxA

Tenpenny, the mastermind 🤔