3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Most Rewritable GTA

Most Rewritable GTA  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Which GTA would you rewrite within this site’s Writer’s Discussion?

• Vice City
    • San Andreas
    • The Lost and Damned
    • The Ballad of Gay Tony

I'd say a lot of the options wouldn't be hurt with a bit of rewriting. I'll list a few of my own suggestions.

• GTA Vice City: Now the writing in this game is good and the story is very much the one with the least amount of changes needed in my opinion, but some of the asset missions need seriously rewriting. For example, why must Hillary have abandonment issues and want you to be able to drive for him? The Driver as a mission makes no sense because if you can beat him, you've proven you're better and therefore don't need him. I'd rewrite it to say he wants to be sure you have a backup in case something happens, and I'd also have him not get shot in the heist. I'd have it like Reuniting the Families where it's a scrolling mission with the gun on top of the car as you try to escape and not get blown up. Would be much better than what we got.
  • GTA San Andreas: I'd rewrite CJ to be more consistent. I wouldn't have the same man submitting to Catalina also be the one to overreact to his sister being catcalled for looking like a hooker. But that's easy to say. What I think needs a rewrite is Ryder as one of the antagonists. Aside from being with Smoke, he does nothing remotely antagonistic. He needs a bigger role in that part of the story. I'd also rewrite Pulaski a little to be more than Tenpenny's lap dog. Maybe imply he has his own motivations and even secretly want to get rid of Tenpenny so he can lead CRASH, but that I could live without. It's just a suggestion.
  • GTA IV: Okay, this is the best story in the series, but it has one gaping problem. Bulgarin. This man was one of the reasons Niko ran away to Liberty City, therefore him being there should've meant he'd be a serious problem in the story. But no, he's barely there and doesn't even make much of an impact. It's all Dimitri's doing from that point on. Bulgarian in my opinion should've been either the main antagonist, or secondary one. He should not have been saved for The Ballad of Gay Tony since he means so much more to Niko than he does Luis. In fact, maybe replace Pegorino with Bulgarin and vice versa. I'll explain this in a minute.
  • GTA: The Lost and Damned: I only wish it was a bit longer and we could see more friendship between Billy and Johnny so we know what we're losing as Billy continuously looses his mind. Make it like Arthur and Dutch from Red Dead Redemption II. But otherwise the story was largely fine from what I remember.
  • GTA: The Ballad of Gay Tony: Okay, remember when I said replace Bulgarin with Pegorino? Well how about instead of Bulgarin giving you an opportunity before he betrays you and then talks to Ancelotti, maybe make it Pegorino who does so, and have him talk to Ancelotti as a way of helping himself get friendly with the other families so he can help himself get up further so he can get onto the Commission. It'd be much better than throwing in Bulgarin just to tie up that loose end. 

I truly believe San Andreas deserves a re-write no matter what the annoying fanboys say. I feel that the storyline had lost all coherence after The Green Sabre mission.

• Like 5
  • 2 months later...
On 12/6/2019 at 2:07 PM, Outlaw Biker Viking said:

Awesome! I'd LOVE to read it and I will very soon as a matter of fact! :)

You're in luck, man. Because I just finished rewriting the whole story. The ending is rather surprising to say the least.

• Like 2
  • YEE 1
2 hours ago, watersgta3 said:

You're in luck, man. Because I just finished rewriting the whole story. The ending is rather surprising to say the least.

Cool beans! I’ll tell you my full opinion as soon as I’m done reading it. I HAVE read the first three chapters and they were pretty good as a matter of fact. 

TLAD - i think the story is fantastic, but i would extend the story to be about as long as niko's. angus, terry, and clay could give missions, and we could get more mission givers from our connections with elizabeta, stubbs, and malc. and f*ck it, throw a heist in there too. a heist planned by johnny, angus, terry, clay, and maybe jim depending on if the heist takes place before or after "was it worth it?"

TBOGT - basically the same as TLAD, with some additional changes. instead of having a light setting, you could have a setting that appears to be light on the surface, but is actually dark on the inside. make luis a bit less whiny and the characters around him less annoying.

V - you really need to start from scratch with this one. just have michael as the only protagonist and have the game be purely about heists and chasing the almighty dollar. and cut trevor from the game completely. there is no way to make trevor a good character without completely rewriting him anyway.

Edited by Niobium
  • Like 7

V

-At least a hundred missions(not stupid buying clothes and changing T-shirts)

-No Trevor

-No steve Haines

-No FIB

-No Michael’s family

-No

Delete this game’s story and make another one.

Edit: gotta stop with the nasty hatin sh*t

Story should be about one thing, not throwing random stuff to the game. 

It may be

-Heists

-Franklin’s Hood life

-Trevor’s drug business

The game promised so much about these in the trailer but in the end we had three missions for each. Characters acted too out of place. I don’t wanna believe that stupid Trevor came to LS and completely ignored his life in the Desert.

Edited by Payne
  • Like 7

GTA 3 and Vice City because I want some cut missions given by characters like Darkel, Curtly, Mr. Moffat, and Pastor Richards, more heist and assassination missions like where you have to assassinate Donald Love instead of Love's Disappearance, and heist missions similar to The Getaway and The Job, and I would add cut features and stuff that I wish were in these games to add to be added.

• Like 2
On 2/26/2020 at 4:13 AM, Payne said:

I missed the days Santader was posting more about GTA. He got it right at some part tho, no need to quote everybody and say something over their opinions when we don’t agree.

Nobody's hating on Santader though. He's actually a pretty decent guy. At least he doesn't try to report people just for countering his arguments like that asshole Osho did in the past topics.

I also think that Vice City could use some improvements on the storyline as well. Maybe give Tommy a small background on how he joined the Forellis and have Sonny make more appearances since he's the main antagonist.

• Like 2
On 2/26/2020 at 3:43 PM, Payne said:

I missed the days Santader was posting more about GTA. He got it right at some part tho, no need to quote everybody and say something over their opinions when we don’t agree.

There's not much to say that's not already been said tbh. I'm waiting for R* to give us something new to talk about... 

• Like 3

I’d have to say GTA5. I agree with a lot of people that it focused to much on the FIB, government angle and that Franklin was massively under developed but I think one of the biggest things wrong with the story is it not really utilizing the LS setting as well as GTA4 did with Liberty City. 4 was a story of an immigrant trying to find the American dream amongst a cast of diverse characters. Liberty City like New York is a gate way for immigration into the US and is an incredibly diverse and extremely recognizable location. The presence of things like Wall Street and the Statue of Liberty (and their GTA recreations) only help strengthen this idea of the American dream even more. Everything services the story however I feel like 5 doesn’t focus on its setting anywhere near enough to remain consistent.

The real life Los Angeles is known for many things, movies, street gangs and to a lesser extent drug cartels. Now granted most of these are covered to some extent in GTA5 however I think Rockstar should have gone further. All 3 characters already interact with these elements which are indeed perfect for who they are, but instead of getting a meaningful exploration of each of these elements we divulge into things not often associated with LA, i.e. extra judicial justice, torture and black ops. They story doesn’t match what the characters want or the setting they are in. How would I re-write 5? Well I don’t want this to be a massive wall of text so I’ll be simple.

Michael should start the game as an aspiring but older ex-crim who is actively trying to get into the movie business rather than lounging around. Eventually he makes connections to Solomon Richards and they begin working on movie projects together. For most of the first act of Michael’s story I would actually keep away from overt criminal activity and focus instead on “mundane”, real movie making style missions to create a contrast for later on. We see how films are made, how actors are treated and the drama of back stage management all up until the end of Michael’s act one. Here after Michael is invited to a get together of big Vinewood talent and stars by Devin Weston (who he would have met earlier in act one) however he soon finds himself in the deep underside of Vinewood, introduced to a side he - as a family man is uncomfortable about. While here though he is introduced to the games main antagonist Martin Madrazo, the multi millionaire king pin of a massive cartel which manipulates all aspects of life in LS.

I’d have this be the big controversial aspect of GTA5 and while I know the whole Polanski, Epstein thing wasn’t relevant in 2013 everyone knew how bad Hollywood is. I’d push boundaries here and maybe for the first time make children relevant to a GTA story. As someone who isn’t completely irredeemable Michael wants no part of this elite club much to the anger of Martin and co.

Franklin’s story would be focused on the old glory days of gang land LS. He and Lamar should be riding to live up to the cultural image of young black men in LS. They see that history as something to be proud of, something that was taken away and use gang warfare as a means of fulfillment as minorities. Here we’re going full on stereotypical gang banger, drive bys, low riders. We’ll bring back gang turfs and tagging. I’d have Franklin's act one feel super old school and purposefully out of date. This is until the end of act one where he and Lamar would interrupt a deal between Martins cartel and the Balas. The pair are capture and here we get a version of Trevor’s torture scene however now its Lamar being tortured by Martin. While Frank and Lamar are rescued by fellow Families members Lamar would be left permanently crippled and their gang with a price on its head.

Trevor should have focused more on empire building with TPI in Blaine County. His rivalry with Ortega should be set up as the main focus of his act one utilizing something similar to what exists in GTA Online. Smuggling, weapons running, setting up different types of drug farms, running and managing an actual criminal business. This is until Martins cartel steals an important deal with Cheng from TPI and burns down one of his factories.

At the end of act one all three characters have a personal reason to hate Martin and so all 3, at the start of act two would head to where they think Martin is at to get revenge. They all coincidentally meet each other at Martins stilt house in the hills and after a fight with cartel members the house comes down. Now Martin is out for blood and the 3 must team up to survive and put an end to Martins strangle hold on LS. They would soon be contacted by Lester, an old friend of Michael’s and a criminally inclined hacktevist who can help organise the trio for their coming trials.

While this idea has only gone so far I like it as think it fits the idea of LS much more. We start with a romanticized view of Los Santos, the glitz and glamour of the movie business, the history of gangland America and the prospects of starting a successful company. Through the course of the story however all of this would be stripped away down to the dirt and blood below. It’s almost the opposite of GTA4. 4 opened with the grittiness and worked up to the class of the big city and mafia work. Here I would have reversed it, start in the dream and end in a nightmare. We also have a much stronger antagonist and while Michael and Trevor’s history is gone I think the dynamic of these 3 people brought together by un-winnable odds would lead to some great opportunities for character building.

Anyway if you’ve read this far thank you. I literally thought this idea up as I was writing it so it could definitely be better but I’m always open for criticism and feedback.  

billiejoearmstrong8
On 2/28/2020 at 11:29 AM, TrinityCR said:

I’d have to say GTA5. I agree with a lot of people that it focused to much on the FIB, government angle and that Franklin was massively under developed but I think one of the biggest things wrong with the story is it not really utilizing the LS setting as well as GTA4 did with Liberty City. 4 was a story of an immigrant trying to find the American dream amongst a cast of diverse characters. Liberty City like New York is a gate way for immigration into the US and is an incredibly diverse and extremely recognizable location. The presence of things like Wall Street and the Statue of Liberty (and their GTA recreations) only help strengthen this idea of the American dream even more. Everything services the story however I feel like 5 doesn’t focus on its setting anywhere near enough to remain consistent.

The real life Los Angeles is known for many things, movies, street gangs and to a lesser extent drug cartels. Now granted most of these are covered to some extent in GTA5 however I think Rockstar should have gone further. All 3 characters already interact with these elements which are indeed perfect for who they are, but instead of getting a meaningful exploration of each of these elements we divulge into things not often associated with LA, i.e. extra judicial justice, torture and black ops. They story doesn’t match what the characters want or the setting they are in.

This is a such a great point, you've put your finger on a big reason why the story feels off that I haven't considered before. The main things focused on in the story are truly irrelevant to LA.

Also your ideas for alternative stories for the three are really intriguing! 

• Like 5

Why do people believe that San Andreas needs a rewrite?! It was one of the most well made storylines of the game. It doesn't need a rewrite at all.

Well, okay, just one thing. The only thing I would say it needs though is to get rid of Ryder, as he's very unmemorable, unimportant, irrelevant, and so far the worst character of the whole game. He ruined the first half of the game for all of us. I just can't understand why there are actually fans who like him after his utterly cruel and sociopathic treatment of CJ. Get rid of that horrible sociopath of a character and the game's storyline would be perfect.

Back on topic, I feel the GTA game that needs to be re-written storyline-wise is GTA 5. That had a lot of plotholes.

On 7/14/2018 at 12:40 AM, TheSantader25 said:

I actually like to see these guys rewrite SA. it's gonna be a good laugh. They already have tried too hard to show sth illogical in SA story in the SA thread and every time we just bring the reasons for the matter and they fail. They have yet to find sth illogical in the story. (putting the deconstruction mission aside which we talked about that as well) 

Right! They talk so much about the story being re-written yet can't even rewrite it themselves. Look at all the writers that wrote the storyline of the game. They're barely even finished with the first few cutscenes of the game. So what makes anyone else think that there's gonna be someone who will rewrite the storyline of San Andreas?

On 7/13/2018 at 6:12 PM, El Penguin Bobo said:

Like what Algonquin Assassin said. San Andreas REALLY needs a rewrite. The story was really mediocre in every way. I'm not that creative, but I'm sure that I will whip something up. I'll try not to make it worse.

You should've stopped after "I'm not that creative".

1 hour ago, El Penguin Bobo said:

^ Lol, butthurt much?

I remember this one wiseguy who once said he killed his cousin for saying that Ryder was his favorite character, lmao.

Hey, the people who hate SA's storyline always moan about how the storyline is crap yet I don't see any of them rewriting the story. Still waiting on someone who could rewrite SA's storyline.

1 minute ago, DK06282000 said:

Hey, the people who hate SA's storyline always moan about how the storyline is crap yet I don't see any of them rewriting the story. Still waiting on someone who could rewrite SA's storyline.

Just because they have complaints about the story doesn't make them professional writers to be able to rewrite an entire story almost perfectly.

No story (or game overall) is perfect. Not even GTA IV, and I'm saying that as a GTA IV fan (who also likes San Andreas by the way).

2 hours ago, DK06282000 said:

Yeah, I got some news for you....

52 minutes ago, watersgta3 said:

Yeah, I got some news for you....

So what's the news you got for me then? I don't understand your comment.

• 2 weeks later...

Well since I already completed the rewrite for GTA San Andreas, I don't need to discuss what should be rewritten. Just check it out on fanfiction and Wattpad here:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12231702/1/Grand-Theft-Auto-San-Andreas-Re-write

https://www.wattpad.com/story/214732568-gta-san-andreas-re-write

But I am going to talk about the rest of the games. I think the Stories games should be included as well since they still play an important part of the franchise. So here's how I would rewrite every game on here:

• GTA Vice City Stories: The storyline to this game could use some changes. For one thing, Vic gets a little too confusing to connect to. He always states he doesn't want to touch drugs yet builds drug empires. How does that make any sense? Another thing I have a problem with is Louise. She pretty much lives up to her skin color, as she has little to no personality. Sure she has a sad background and we get to learn about her family life, but it's so little and brief that it quickly becomes forgotten, and it does nothing to make up for her blandness, which is why I showed very little sympathy when she died at the end. So here's how I would rewrite it. After Vic is kicked out of the army, have him do conventional jobs for allies and make it that he has no choice but to adapt to crime life. For example, you could have him work for someone to do an actual job for them, only to get attacked by the Cholos, you know, similar to Tommy's reason to join the Mafia in Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven. Actually give Vic no other choice but to get in crime life for survival. Also give Vic an actual reason why he builds drug empires. Here's how I would do it. We can still make empires after Marty's demise, but make it just protection, prostitution, and loan shark for the first half. Then, when you work for the Mendez brothers, you could have it that Vic is forced to build a drug empire to save his and Lance's skin from the Mendez brothers, and that's where drug, robbery, and snuggling will come in. Also, give Louise more of a personality to make her more interesting and have more scenes with her and Vic to make her death at the end much more profound. Also, the Mendez brothers deserve more screentime, and so does Martinez, since they're the main antagonists. I would've loved to see the Vance brothers and the Mendez brothers work together in the beginning before turning on each other. And that's basically it.

• GTA Vice City: The first part of the story was good, but then it starts losing its story once you're relegated to purchasing assets. I would add more, such as have Lance give a few missions since I find it surprising how a main character doesn't have a single mission to provide the protagonist. Speaking of which, Sonny should have made more appearances, because it seems that he just flat out disappears from the story after his phone call to Tommy in the beginning until the final mission. So after Tommy purchases the assets, have Sonny give Tommy about at least four missions during his phone calls to help the Forellis with whatever's interfering with their businesses and soon, he'll try to force you to give all your assets to him and leave Vice to go back to his hometown in Liberty, thus setting up his secondary betrayal. That would be a great motive as antagonist. Also, I feel that the story didn't do a good job at giving Tommy a challenge. I mean the back cover states "Most of Vice City seems to want Tommy dead" when in reality, Diaz, who wasn't even trying to kill Tommy, was the only threat of the story. Since I found most of the contract kills pointless, I will make it in a way in which the people Tommy is assigned to kill are trying to take over Vice City as well and want to take down Tommy. That way, the story would feel longer and challenging without trying to make it too long.

• GTA Liberty City Stories: Honestly, this game was the weakest of both the prequel games in the third era. So this definitely deserves more of a rewrite as well. First, I would give Torini more screentime and have his boss fight be far more challenging. Then I would have Vincenzo get a bit more of a role in the story. Also, I feel that Toni should be more of a mobster instead of having him ride Sal's cocktails so much. I mean this is the same guy who killed a made man. Truly, he should be a former high-ranking member of the Mob family instead of an errand boy, which leads me to the next issue: the lack of more of the Leone Family members. Considering that Joey is Sal's son, you'd think he'd make an appearance in the game after being underdeveloped in GTA 3. The fact that his most important history is working with CJ during the latter's five-year stint in LC definitely says a lot. So I would add more of the Leone members in the game and give them more screentime as well. Oh yeah, and 8-Ball should also be featured more.

• GTA 3: Okay, I have to be honest. Of all the GTA games, this is by far the hardest one to rewrite. I mean a simple revenge story is very difficult to revise considering there's hardly much depth to it and Claude just isn't a very deep character and doesn't have much of a personality outside of being a silent killer. The only thing I can think of is just have Catalina appear more often in the game to give her more depth considering she's the main antagonist and the first female antagonist as well. Also, I feel that 8-Ball should be more of an ally considering he was with the main character throughout the beginning. Yeah, I'm still trying to come up with more things.

• GTA 4: Honestly, I don't think this story needs much of a rewrite. I felt it was perfect the way it was. It told a deep backstory on Niko' s past, which helped connect to him, and the characters were well-written and well-developed. If I had to rewrite something, however, I would make Bulgarian a secondary antagonist and have him play a much bigger role in the story.

• GTA TLAD: Just make it slightly longer with some additional missions.

• GTA TBOGT: Same as above, but with more minor changes.

• GTA 5: This needs a rewrite more than all the other games combined. Since TrinityCR already mentioned everything, just look at his description above.

I'm not sure about Advance, but I think CTW doesn't need to be rewritten, because it did everything well in the storyline of that game.

Anyways, of all the GTA games I explained needs to be rewritten, I plan on writing rewrite versions on those as well. It will take time to analyze though.

Edited by watersgta3

For GTA3, I would personally only add missions for the Triads to make them neutral, the Yakuza Kanbu, make a mission where you kill King Courtney, save D-Ice from prison, stuff like that. On the other hand though, most of this content goes also well into my GTA3 sequel that I've been thinking about since years.

• Like 4
  • 3 months later...

V;

-Cut Trevor and Franklin, the game would kinda be more decent if Michael was the only protagonist.

-No FIB sh*t

-Cut Weston, he was more of an asshole than an antagonist.

Edited by Limefong

San Andreas

Ryder should have lived and it just went off the rails after CJ got exiled

V:

Remove Franklin and expand on Michael and Trevor's past some more

Madrazo is the main antagonist

Edited by Shadowfennekin
  • Like 4
  • 3 months later...

Bump of my own thread but oh well!

The more thought I put into it, there are really only four GTA’s in need of a rewrite. IV, TLAD, TBOGT, VC, III, and CTW are all perfect just the way they are IMO.

1. V: I’ve said it time and time again so no need to repeat myself.

2. SA: Cut a few missions here and there, just a little bit of touch ups, changing certain content. Nothing too major though.

3. LCS: Vincenzo Cilli should be the main antagonist instead of that nobody named Massimo Torini, who should really just be cut out of the game altogether. Not only that but the missions where Toni blows up a whole neighborhood and sells Giovanni Casa’s corpse to a butcher should be cut. Why? Because they’re just needlessly controversial and that kind of content is the exact reason as to why the franchise gets a lot of flak from the likes of Jack Thompson and Jim Steyer. All missions for Ma Cipriani should also be cut IMO.
4. VCS: Cut every mission involving Victor Vance with that transgender movie producer.

Edited by ThatBenGuy
  • Like 4

I saw a rewritten version of San Andreas on Fanfiction. It's good. They made Ryder a main character, LB was also in there. And they added few characters. Big Smoke became a real ally.

• 1 month later...

Another GTA game which I can’t believe I completely forgot about (not that it’s very memorable anyway, lol):

I think GTA Online needs a rewrite the ABSOLUTE most out of any GTA game. Period. If someone can rewrite that one, I promise I will become your best friend on this site!

• Like 2

After destroying Madrazo's house mission, the story should have made Michael and Franklin work for his cartel, subsequently getting rid of the FBI storyline completely and establishing cartels and drug wars as one the main themes of the game along with heists.

• Like 8