4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

ThatKyloRenGuy

Most Rewritable GTA

Most Rewritable GTA  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which GTA would you rewrite within this site’s Writer’s Discussion?

• Vice City
    • San Andreas
    • The Lost and Damned
    • The Ballad of Gay Tony

ThatKyloRenGuy

Well, I wasn’t really sure whether to put this thread in the Writer’s Discussion or here. Oh well, I guess I’ll have to just wing it! 😛 Within the Writer’s Discussion of this site, I am doing my own rewriting of GTA 5 so my answer to this topic would have to be that game solely based on that I think it could be a lot better, despite still being a decently good game. I understand some of you out there may not be the best writers, but I really enjoy it, especially when it comes to this. I additionally think GTA 4, TLAD, and TBOGT are all somewhat rewritable as well. I’m one who would get a pretty good experience like that just like I would with a second play through. In fact, I was considering doing a rewriting of those three games with adding a few characters and missions just to make things a bit more interesting. However, those are my three favorite GTAs and the only reason I’ve only been considering it as opposed to actually doing it is because I think they’re all pretty good just the way they are! :)

So taking all that into consideration, even if you’re not a really good writer, which GTA game or games would you guys rewrite whether you do or don’t have the creative merit?

American Venom

San Andreas since the story in its current form is rather crap and could do with A LOT of improvement. I'm not much of a writer (As I've said to you😛), but I think I'd enjoy putting my own ideas down on paper. I'd most likely re-write the story with multiple protagonists in mind since it was going to have multiple protagonists at one stage.

xXPinguXx

Like what Algonquin Assassin said. San Andreas REALLY needs a rewrite. The story was really mediocre in every way. I'm not that creative, but I'm sure that I will whip something up. I'll try not to make it worse.

ThatKyloRenGuy

Yeah, Penguin Bob, you and Algonquin Assassin are pretty right. Glad you guys mentioned it. I might do a rewrite of GTA San Andreas in the Writer’s Discussion as well. It will come after my rewriting of GTA 5 and whether or not it’s coming before or after my rewriting of GTA 4, TLAD, and TBOGT, I’ll have to put thought into it. However, I could always double or perhaps even triple task. And as far as 3 and Vice City go, eh, I’m just gonna for surely keep those games the same as they are.

Edited by ThatBenGuy

TheSantader25

Oh god not SA? Not the beautiful journey of carl. 

3,VC,SA don't need a rewrite. They are top notch. 

IV needs a rewrite so Niko would consider an attack in the wedding after revenge because pegorino wanted that deal. But that's it. 

TLAD and TBOGT are top notch. No need to rewrite. 

V needs a rewrite at the last part. More missions to heat up the heat with haines and weston. A better and more intense finale. More missions involving wei cheng and stretch. More missions focusing on Franklin and Trevor personal lives. Wei Cheng and stretch will get killed sooner than the Finale. Instead Madrazo backstabbs trevor when he delivers Patricia and becomes a main antagonist. In the Finale, each protagonist goes for one of Weston(franklin) , haines(Michael)  and madrazo(trevor). 

TheSantader25

I actually like to see these guys rewrite SA. it's gonna be a good laugh. They already have tried too hard to show sth illogical in SA story in the SA thread and every time we just bring the reasons for the matter and they fail. They have yet to find sth illogical in the story. (putting the deconstruction mission aside which we talked about that as well) 

The Coconut Kid

I'll be the odd one out and go with Vice City. :panic:

If there's one game in the GTA series that screams out for an extended cut, it's Vice City. To think Rockstar wrote, developed and released the game within one year of publishing GTAIII is nothing short of incredible, and it makes me think how the story would've turned out had they spent more time on it. Although it's my favourite game by a long measure, there are areas that just don't get fleshed out, feel incomplete and suffer from a lack of screentime. No one really stands in Tommy's way when it comes to taking over the city and his major antagonists (the Mafia) are dealt with in the space of.. two missions?

I'm not suggesting the story we know and love (over 15 years later!) should be rewritten at all and it certainly isn't the work of a coconut on GTA Forums to do so, but there are bits and pieces that could be inserted around certain missions in the game to add depth to the characters and narrative.

Crossbones
1 hour ago, Am Shaegar said:

What is wrong with SA's story? Its almost perfect. The story that needs a complete rewrute from scratch is obviously GTA IV. 

I think there's a lot of unnecessary elements in IVs story, including characters that serve no important purpose in Niko's life. IV's story would benefit greatly if OP manages to remove "extra" fat (padding) and comes up with something interesting. I do have a couple of suggestions for the rewrite and a sensible (less boring) take on Niko's character

Unnecessary elements like ? Yeah, like stealing harvester, stealing Jetpack from military base, stealing alien technology, using RC planes to kill people, using minigun to shoot down RC planes, using toy helicopter for removing obstacles in one of the most greatest mission in the series, driving monster truck in desert without knowing for whom we are doing that and my favorite of all time, burying a guy alive and killing dozens of workers and destroying portals just because the guy cat-called Kendl, sure.

I understand some of missions were just to introduce some features, but... sure one needs to remove the EXTRA FAT of the game.

TheSantader25
25 minutes ago, Crossbones said:

Unnecessary elements like ? Yeah, like stealing harvester, stealing Jetpack from military base, stealing alien technology, using RC planes to kill people, using minigun to shoot down RC planes, using toy helicopter for removing obstacles in one of the most greatest mission in the series, driving monster truck in desert without knowing for whom we are doing that and my favorite of all time, burying a guy alive and killing dozens of workers and destroying portals just because the guy cat-called Kendl, sure.

I understand some of missions were just to introduce some features, but... sure one needs to remove the EXTRA FAT of the game.

RC vehicles are a part of all 3D GTAs. You have a problem with them? Let's dump all 3D GTAs. At least in SA they were side missions not a main mission like in VC. 

WHAT'S wrong with stealing a harvester?CARL had to do it because Tenpenny asked him to do it for the truth because he owed him debts.

Deconstruction was like every other mission. In the GTA series you kill police officers who do nothing but their job. They have families. They are just doing their job but we kill them. I say burying a construction worker who is just doing his job is like killing every police officer who just does their job. Let's feel bad about all the hundreds of people we kill in a GTA. 

Niko was a wanted man by the Russians(bulgarin) but once someone unknown(francis) tells him to meet him at a park. He doesn't take a moment to think that it's a trap. What CJ did(going to a place where someone unknown told him to go)  was no different 

Edited by TheSantader25

Crossbones
2 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

RC vehicles are a part of all 3D GTAs. You have a problem with them? Let's dump all 3D GTAs. At least in SA they were side missions not a main mission like in VC. 

WHAT'S wrong with stealing a harvester?CARL had to do it because Tenpenny asked him to do it for the truth because he owed him debts.

Deconstruction was like every other mission. In the GTA series you kill police officers who do nothing but their job. They have families. They are just doing their job but we kill them. I say burying a construction worker who is just doing his job is like killing every police officer who just does their job. Let's feep bad about all the hundreds of people we kill in a GTA. 

Niko was a wanted man by the Russians(bulgarin) but once someone unknown(francis) tells him to meet him at a park. He doesn't take a moment to think that it's a trap. What CJ did(going to a place where someone unknown told him to go)  was no different 

I agree with almost everything you said there, but don't you find Zero's missions annoying and unnecessary ? Or Truth's missions unnecessary ? They were fun to do, that's another thing. And like I said before, I have no problem in killing people or burying them alive (in-game, ofc) but don't you find the reason too stupid to do that ? 

San Andreas is definitely my third or fourth favourite, but there's lots unnecessary things in it. 

Aaand, I gotta admit of the main reason I posted that was to see your reaction, lol. 

TheSantader25
11 minutes ago, Crossbones said:

I agree with almost everything you said there, but don't you find Zero's missions annoying and unnecessary ? Or Truth's missions unnecessary ? They were fun to do, that's another thing. And like I said before, I have no problem in killing people or burying them alive (in-game, ofc) but don't you find the reason too stupid to do that ? 

San Andreas is definitely my third or fourth favourite, but there's lots unnecessary things in it. 

Aaand, I gotta admit of the main reason I posted that was to see your reaction, lol. 

Honestly as for myself I never found the RC missions in VC and SA annoying. I always beat them on my first or second time and I find them fun as well.  But I understand if someone doesn't. 

The thing is, we are criminals. The police force has to stop criminals and we kill them. We are BAD GUYS in GTA games. While the mission deconstruction could be a filler but you can't say it didn't make sense for a Criminal who keeps killing cops. It had other purposes like introducing new vehicles in that mission and the truth missions which is not wrong at all. We are playing a video game and introducing cool vehicles(like the jetpack we all love)  in missions isn't wrong at all. 

Edited by TheSantader25

VenomDYOM

Vice City's story definitely needs a re-write. Yes, I am a Vice City fanboy, but it really needs a re-write.

Laker23

GTA V, without a doubt. For a game I was so excited for, the story left a lot to be desired. One of the most unimaginative, lazy stories I've played through in 20 years of gaming.

Jabalous
3 hours ago, Laker23 said:

GTA V, without a doubt. For a game I was so excited for, the story left a lot to be desired. One of the most unimaginative, lazy stories I've played through in 20 years of gaming.

I couldn't agree more. 

universetwisters

GTA 5 because that sh*t needs fixing. Make Michael the only protagonist and go from there.

Domand

Well after finally getting and playing Gta 5, I feel like there is some excitement thats there. There's potential for it to be really good. They could've taken it in many directions. I enjoyed some of the characters and some of the humor in it made me laugh, but I kinda feel like there should've been further development. I would've been more interested to see a further detailed story on the whole Michael and Franklin relationship. I think the final goal or the alot of what it wanted to achieve was not portrayed the best way it could've been. So pretty much a rewrite to make it all more clear and work better. More development on certain aspects. 

Also since I am a fan of crazy characters or villains or antihero's who are pretty much "I don't care about anything" and are chaotic, I enjoyed Trevor. Again like I said my preferences could make that decision very bias. I find chaotic characters in stories just fun to watch.

Jerking For Soup

Voted TLAD and V. Didn't think Billy was too much of an antag and V was just a big jumbled mess.

Johnny Spaz

Never realized SA's story was disliked, sure it was crazy but all in all its a good one, maybe I'm looking at it through some nostalgia glasses idk

But yeah V definitely needs a complete new story

Femme Fatale

The first GTA could be a fun remake.

Carbonox

GTA 5 really went down the sh*tter from its decent-looking start with the endless government agent errands, Johnny's death, lack of solo missions for the protagonists, unsatisfying endings and the general shark-jumping that went on for most of the late stages.

So, that.

Jeansowaty

V, LCS and TBOGT imo.

mde2

V. Especially with it's characters and such. A lot of missed opportunity imo. 

Spectre "2K"

I feel like III could use a re-write, as conclusive and satisfying as it was (excluding whatever happened to Maria, but i honestly never cared that much). I feel like the whole Salvatore situation could have been played (or handled) better, and maybe a news report at the end of the game shedding a little light as to what happened to Donald Love. Not a blatant explanation, but like a news report saying it found Love's helicopter crashed in Miami. 

iiCriminnaaL 49

Most rewritable, not sure. But certain parts of some stories could use some enhancements.

• San Andreas - Ryder's betrayal should've been either more developed or scrapped. The Las Venturas chapter should've had something to do with rescuing Sweet.
  • Liberty City Stories - Instead of Massimo Torini, Vincenzo Cilli could've been the main antagonist.
  • IV - Pegorino should've been replaced with Ray Bulgarin as the Revenge ending's antagonist. Either this or Niko expecting a payback from Pegorino after killing Dimitri.
  • The Ballad of Gay Tony - In case Bulgarin replaced Pegorino as the Revenge ending's antagonist in IV, the Ancelotti family should've been the last enemies, with one of Rocco or Giovanni Ancelotti being the main antagonist. That's if we're going to take the story for what it is. Otherwise, some plot holes that don't gel well with IV's core story would've been refined: Willy Valerio and Teddy Benavidez getting totally ignored and replaced with Armando Torres and Henrique Bardas instead, Yusuf Amir not being a serious businessman as referred to, Luis having a sky battle with the LCPD during the diamond deal rather than a shootout on the roof as was shown in TLAD's credits, and Jerry Kapowitz finding the diamonds in Meadows Park rather than in Liberty City's dump as mentioned on Weazel News.
  • V - Less focus on the FIB/Merryweather, more onto heists and the disturbance of the relationship between Michael and Trevor. There should've been more onto the personal lives of Trevor in Blaine County and Franklin in the ghetto. Also, Martin Madrazo should've been the main antagonist instead of Devin, the latter could've served as a secondary antagonist along with Haines. Johnny Klebitz and The Lost should've replaced Wei Cheng and the Triads as Trevor's main antagonists, and Stretch should've been an actual antagonist for Franklin rather than some random target with no development at all.

Evil empire

Having played 3, VC ans SA I chose Vice City because many very interesting parts of the story are under-developed or not even mentioned at all.

Zello

VC, LCS, IV, V.

VC needed to be a bit longer especially after you killed Diaz. Tommy needed to go against another rival drug lord and maybe also have to deal with the cops on his trail building a case on him to take him down.

LCS - Toni needed to feel more like a mobster and less personal errand boy for Salvatore.

IV doesn't need a rewrite but I would add a couple things.

Elizabeta would have gotten into a gang war with another gang in Bohan. 

I would have added Gordon Sargent in "The Tunnel of Death" mission and "Undertaker". Would have been funny trying to get Derrick/Francis to the cemetery while Packie and Gordon argue.

Kenny Petrovic would have been involved in the story. After his son Lenny died there should have been a war between Petrovic and Faustin that leads up to "The Master and the molotov". Petrovic would have shown up with Dimitri and Bulgarin in "Russian Revolution".

Extended the War between the Pegorinos and the Pavanos.

I'd also add a third ending where Niko goes after Bulgarin.

Also add a funeral for Roman/Kate as an Epilogue mission.

With V I'd reduce the amount of the Feds in the story dramatically and remove Devin Weston. Johnnys death would also be written differently he'd be Trevor's enemy in Blaine county but he goes out with one last stand. Franklin would setup and run his own heist. I'd also rewrite the endings.

I would get rid of endings A&B and replace them with one where Michael with the help of Dave goes to hideout in a house in the woods he acts as bait to lure Trevor there. Trevor finds out makes his way to the house in the woods it's guarded by Steve Haines and Norton Trevor kills both of them and then goes after Michael. Michael sees Trevor they get into a shootout inside the house then Michael escapes into the woods with Trevor coming after him. You can then choose to control either Trevor or Michael and one of them will kill the other.

Another ending would have Michael and Franklin driving in Downtown Los Santos at night and they get into an Argument. Franklin crashes the car and they hunt each other down.

Edited by Zello