4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Controversial Music Opinions

Rhoda

Mr. Galloway

Not sure if this could be considered controversial since it's not a topic that's usually brought up, but Link Wray's work is only good when it's instrumental. I've tried listening to his songs that contain vocals, and nope, I'm just not feeling it.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
Motorik

- Kiss sucks. They added nothing to music story (neither technical innovation nor great albums. Only a few good songs), and however they are regarded as one of the greatest rock bands.

- Captain Beefheart is a genius not because of Trout Mask Replica, but because of Safe as Milk, The Spotlight Kid and Shiny Beast. Yes, I know that in my other post said that Beefheart wasn't that great, but that was because I had only listened to Trout Mask Replica. I know, I shouldn't have judged an artist only by one album. I admit my mistake.

DownInThePMs

I hate Synthwave so much it's unreal.

• Like 1
DownInThePMs
On 4/3/2020 at 4:04 AM, GATSXI0212 said:

Controversial means it's prone to debate right?

The rap out today is the golden age. I think the only people who think tupac is still the king haven't tried listening to rap from todays legends. Start with juice wrld, travis scott, g-eazy, and roddy rich. If you're daring also listen to lil peep and xxxtentacion.

facts

oldheads need to move on with the times. that said i think lil peep is trash.

Edited by DownInTheHole
Blaze
On 4/2/2020 at 6:04 PM, GATSXI0212 said:

Controversial means it's prone to debate right?

The rap out today is the golden age. I think the only people who think tupac is still the king haven't tried listening to rap from todays legends. Start with juice wrld, travis scott, g-eazy, and roddy rich. If you're daring also listen to lil peep and xxxtentacion.

My condolences for holding this opinion.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
Arrows to Athens
1 hour ago, Ivan1997GTA said:

I think Kpop is overrated.

My sister's literally obsessed with that one K-Pop group BTS, and it's a very unhealthy obsession, I might add. She used to not care about K-Pop at all, but now she's gone crazy about it. It's pretty much all she listens to nowadays. She must have spent over $300 on BTS-related crap. She thinks the members are the most attractive males on the planet, and that their music is the best because they've won so many grammies, rocked the top charts, their music is catchy, their dance moves are amazing, etc. She's always talking to her friends about them ad has made it her mission to get them all into BTS. 

I can't stand the music. It drives me nuts. It sounds like every other boyband pop group, just in Korean. What's so special about them? It's all so manufactured, generic, and bland. And why does each group have like 20 members? I think if it wasn't for the dancing and their attractive looks (they literally all look like teenagers with heavy make-up), they wouldn't' even be half as popular because their music is nothing special to begin with. 

• Like 5
  • YEE 1
TwistOfLime21

Load and Reload were great albums.

Taylor Swift’s country music was a hell of a lot better than her pop music.

Ozzy solo > Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden’s albums from Brave New World onwards are better than their previous albums.

• Like 2
  • KEKW 2

Massive Judas Priest fan over here. They're kind of my favorite band, along with Black Sabbath. But their fanbase can be very conservative and elitist ass. As someone who's worshipped them since childhood, I've got a perhaps rather unusual and controversial taste when it comes to rank their albums. Here's what my top-3 album picks by them look like. Only #1 is a "standard/common/boring" choice.

Spoiler

1. Screaming For Vengeance

2. Nostradamus

3. Turbo

Eat me (alive), fanboys!

Moving on to Iron Maiden, I'm perhaps a bit controversial here as well. As a kid I was crazy about and fanboying them to death, but that wore off with age. However, there was always one element to their music that never quite appealed to me, even back then.

Truth be told, I was never a huge fan of Bruce Dickinson's vocals. I always say that his vocal style is "knubbig", which is a Swedish word for being "chubby". But not in a sense of being fat, but rather powerful in a caveman-like way. When he sings it sounds like he's almost constipated and pushing way too much (the "let her go!" part in "Bring Your Daughter..." is a perfect example of this). This style of his singing only got worse with each album, too. I don't get how teenage boys get all fan-sweaty to that stuff. I've seen international comments about this as well, where English-speakers called it "husky voice".

I dunno, I always liked more melodic and "tender" vocals, like Freddie Mercury or Ronnie James Dio, or brutal growls and sh*t in death metal. I'm a huge fan of "female-fronted" (hate that term) metal bands as well. I'd rather hear a woman like Ann Wilson (Heart) sing in my ear than a power man. Paul Di'Anno is therefore, easily, the best singer Maiden ever had IMO, but they made a few records with Bruce that I musically prefer over Paul's.

Edited by Watain
15 hours ago, Watain said:

Paul Di'Anno is therefore, easily, the best singer Maiden ever had...

Now this is a controversial opinion!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Watain said:

Massive Judas Priest fan over here. They're kind of my favorite band, along with Black Sabbath. But their fanbase can be very conservative and elitist ass. As someone who's worshipped them since childhood, I've got a perhaps rather unusual and controversial taste when it comes to rank their albums. Here's what my top-3 album picks by them look like. Only #1 is a "standard/common/boring" choice.

Reveal hidden contents

1. Screaming For Vengeance

2. Nostradamus

3. Turbo

Eat me (alive), fanboys!

For me, Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class, and Defenders of the Faith.

Turbo was not bad like the hated Cold Lake by Celtic Frost. The metal community wanted the most extreme and innovative metal bands at the time instead of doing a radio-friendly style. Some people can't accept experimentation in music. The fake or real metal thing is a joke.

23 hours ago, Watain said:

Moving on to Iron Maiden, I'm perhaps a bit controversial here as well. As a kid I was crazy about and fanboying them to death, but that wore off with age. However, there was always one element to their music that never quite appealed to me, even back then.

Truth be told, I was never a huge fan of Bruce Dickinson's vocals. I always say that his vocal style is "knubbig", which is a Swedish word for being "chubby". But not in a sense of being fat, but rather powerful in a caveman-like way. When he sings it sounds like he's almost constipated and pushing way too much (the "let her go!" part in "Bring Your Daughter..." is a perfect example of this). This style of his singing only got worse with each album, too. I don't get how teenage boys get all fan-sweaty to that stuff. I've seen international comments about this as well, where English-speakers called it "husky voice".

I dunno, I always liked more melodic and "tender" vocals, like Freddie Mercury or Ronnie James Dio, or brutal growls and sh*t in death metal. I'm a huge fan of "female-fronted" (hate that term) metal bands as well. I'd rather hear a woman like Ann Wilson (Heart) sing in my ear than a power man. Paul Di'Anno is therefore, easily, the best singer Maiden ever had IMO, but they made a few records with Bruce that I musically prefer over Paul's.

Blaze Bayley was an uncomprehended singer. After the X-Factor album, they have been doing the same formula, and I love Dickinson vocals as same Paul.

Somewhere in Time, Killers and X-Factor are my favorite albums.

Edited by -7-
  • Like 1
Lonely-Martin
On 12/7/2020 at 7:34 AM, Arrows to Athens said:

My sister's literally obsessed with that one K-Pop group BTS, and it's a very unhealthy obsession, I might add. She used to not care about K-Pop at all, but now she's gone crazy about it. It's pretty much all she listens to nowadays. She must have spent over $300 on BTS-related crap. She thinks the members are the most attractive males on the planet, and that their music is the best because they've won so many grammies, rocked the top charts, their music is catchy, their dance moves are amazing, etc. She's always talking to her friends about them ad has made it her mission to get them all into BTS. 

I can't stand the music. It drives me nuts. It sounds like every other boyband pop group, just in Korean. What's so special about them? It's all so manufactured, generic, and bland. And why does each group have like 20 members? I think if it wasn't for the dancing and their attractive looks (they literally all look like teenagers with heavy make-up), they wouldn't' even be half as popular because their music is nothing special to begin with. 

I feel your pain here, big time!

My daughter is so much the same. Makes my ears bleed. If I dare to try and mock it, she gets in a real huff too, lol. You really can't say anything about how generic or manufactured they are, though I keep calling them 'Bitches Try Singing' 🤣🤣

And talk about the money, these arseholes bring out like 5 versions of the same album with random collectors cards in them and if course, she's got to have the lot.

I was watching match if the day the other night as they were showing the contenders for goal of the month, and guess who was the featured track. Turned over to sports news asap after their name popped up for the moment. Get out of my footie! 😤

• Like 2
Standard Deluxe 59
3 hours ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Bitches Try Singing'

Hahaha, I like this one. I've thankfully never heard their stuff (Not knowingly at least) but some PlayStation friend I had absolutely loved them. I got her upset after saying I preferred to understand what the band was singing without having to learn a new language 🤣

• Like 2
4 hours ago, -7- said:

For me, Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class, and Defenders of the Faith.

Turbo was not bad like the hated Cold Lake by Celtic Frost. The metal community wanted the most extreme and innovative metal bands at the time instead of doing a radio-friendly style. Some people can't accept experimentation in music. The fake or real metal thing is a joke.

Somewhere in Time, Killers and X-Factor are my favorite albums.

Great picks. Those would definitely fall into my number 4-6 placements. The only Priest albums I don't really like are Redeemer Of Souls (mostly for its poor mix) and Demolition. Point Of Entry is also 50/50 but the gold half is absolutely superb.

I initially didn't like Turbo when I was younger because of its slick production and poppy style, but that 80's cheese factor is exactly what I love about it now. The songs are so damn catchy. Cold Lake, however, is just terrible. I love Celtic Frost but it's so clear it was a band jumping on a label-enforced idea that was sh*tty from the start, and it turned into such as well. I understand why Tom G Warrior hates it. I would be ashamed of it, too.

Somewhere In Time is my favorite by far, and the last where I think Bruce's voice is mostly tolerable, closely followed by Powerslave and Killers. I like Brave New World and A Matter Of Life And Death a lot, but I agree their formula has kind of frozen still. Steve's galloping songs are particularly tiresome and predictable at this point, which I believe is another reason why my fanboyism faded over time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Watain said:

Great picks. Those would definitely fall into my number 4-6 placements. The only Priest albums I don't really like are Redeemer Of Souls (mostly for its poor mix) and Demolition. Point Of Entry is also 50/50 but the gold half is absolutely superb.

I initially didn't like Turbo when I was younger because of its slick production and poppy style, but that 80's cheese factor is exactly what I love about it now. The songs are so damn catchy. 

I need a specific mood to give a listen to the new albums or Owens-era, but I heard Nostradamus a lot at the time.

4 hours ago, Watain said:

Cold Lake, however, is just terrible. I love Celtic Frost but it's so clear it was a band jumping on a label-enforced idea that was sh*tty from the start, and it turned into such as well. I understand why Tom G Warrior hates it. I would be ashamed of it, too.

What I hear about Cold Lake a lot is if it could be different as a solo album or with another band name, but they did sessions to make an album called "Necronomicon" before bringing a new line-up. He hates it because he missed the opportunities and choose the wrong one.

wnH63YJ.jpg

http://www.triptykon.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4265&sid=296626334a249beceb51ff0dcc0a9311

jCUKeFl.png

https://www.voicesfromthedarkside.de/interview/celtic-frost/

Releasing Monotheist after the Into the Pandemonium album would be an impressive move, but it took too much time. 

4 hours ago, Watain said:

Somewhere In Time is my favorite by far, and the last where I think Bruce's voice is mostly tolerable, closely followed by Powerslave and Killers. I like Brave New World and A Matter Of Life And Death a lot, but I agree their formula has kind of frozen still. Steve's galloping songs are particularly tiresome and predictable at this point, which I believe is another reason why my fanboyism faded over time.

Same, A Matter of Life of Death was the last good album, and still give a listen. The Final Frontier and Book of Souls are tedious. They have the trend of long songs and a lack of focusing on vital parts of the songs and trying to replicate the same magic as Rime of the Ancient Mariner. The live performances are still good anyway. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Lucas wester

1: 100 gecs kinda groovy

2: 2pac is seen as a good when he was just a good rapper