Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. News

    2. GrandTheftAuto.net - Website Re-Launch

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Diamond Casino Heist
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

      1. Events
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA 6

    3. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

    6. GTA Vice City Stories

    7. GTA Liberty City Stories

    8. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    9. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    10. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    11. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Support

    2. Suggestions

Rhoda

Controversial Music Opinions

Recommended Posts

Guest Billy Russo

I don't understand the appeal of Kanye West. I enjoy some of his earlier songs, that's about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rhoda

I'm almost the exact opposite. I can't abide Kanye's older material. I liked Yeezus and I maintain that The Life Of Pablo is one of the strongest hip hop albums of the decade. Bold words yes, but it's just such a beautiful mess I can't help but love it. I separate art from artist at this point because there's nothing of the man I relate to or enjoy. I find that ego is important but there's a line. He's obnoxious, media hungry and delusional. I struggle differentiating between what's real with him and what isn't. Thing is, he's obviously switched on and can produce some really special music but he's completely unhinged in every other aspect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Billy Russo
20 minutes ago, Rhoda said:

I'm almost the exact opposite. I can't abide Kanye's older material. I liked Yeezus and I maintain that The Life Of Pablo is one of the strongest hip hop albums of the decade. Bold words yes, but it's just such a beautiful mess I can't help but love it. I separate art from artist at this point because there's nothing of the man I relate to or enjoy. I find that ego is important but there's a line. He's obnoxious, media hungry and delusional. I struggle differentiating between what's real with him and what isn't. Thing is, he's obviously switched on and can produce some really special music but he's completely unhinged in every other aspect.

I understand he's pretty influential, I've just never really felt strongly about his music. At the same time, I acknowledge that the music he puts out isn't really my cup of tea either. It isn't really aimed at me. I'm the same way with Drake, who is also huge these days, that guy sells music like there's no tomorrow, and I personally just see nothing appealing about the guy at all.

 

Kanye definitely does make himself look awful at times. I certainly agree with that. I also usually separate the artist from the art as well. There's many artists I like who seem like they are dicks in real life, but I haven't met them personally and it doesn't change their music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rhoda

I remembered what my previous opinion was from the other week.

 

For the most part, I think band T-shirts look ridiculous. I still own a few, but I mostly reserve them for casual wear around the house. I don't think they're worn like they were... and I'm not entirely sure they ever were. I think it's one thing to see a middle aged man walking around with an Aerosmith T-shirt on, but quite another when I see somebody clearly keen to impress the difference is night and day. I don't know if that's me just being a judgmental prick but I don't think it's a good look.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Duhillestpunk

That whole band shirt thing is really f*cking dumb. Why wear something you personally couldn’t give a f*ck about? And it goes beyond band tees. Hell people are wearing Pulp Fiction shirts and I bet 9/10 those people haven’t seen the damn film. Only the “meme” parts. It’s so dumb.

 

Obviously people are gonna wear what they want and that’s fine I’m no fashionista. But when somebody asks you “Nice Pink Floyd shirt! What’s your favourite song off “Dark Side Of The Moon”? Don’t go blaming somebody for making you wear the shirt thus you looking like a dumb ass staring into the atmosphere. Not knowing a single song off the album.

Edited by Duhillestpunk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spectre07

.

Edited by spectre07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Billy Russo

I find many covers to be the better than the original versions of them. Just because something is the original version doesn't automatically make it better. If it sounds better to me, that's what matters. That's not to say the originals are not great, but a lot of times I find myself thinking during a cover: "I enjoy this more"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lock n' Stock

'Don't Stop Believing' is one of the worst songs ever written.

 

I'm sorry.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spectre07

.

Edited by spectre07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cameron Star

Being able to play a guitar really fast doesn't make you a good player. It doesn't matter if you're playing a thousand notes a second during a solo, or how fast you can move your fingers, it doesn't mean anything if you can't make a tune or melody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
On 2/3/2020 at 8:58 PM, Cameron Star said:

Being able to play a guitar really fast doesn't make you a good player. It doesn't matter if you're playing a thousand notes a second during a solo, or how fast you can move your fingers, it doesn't mean anything if you can't make a tune or melody.

I'm pretty sure if they're already capable of playing that fast with that level of technicality, they are also capable of playing plenty of melodies. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cameron Star
10 hours ago, Arrows to Athens said:

I'm pretty sure if they're already capable of playing that fast with that level of technicality, they are also capable of playing plenty of melodies. 

I said "make." On the technical side, yes, but not always the creative side. Some guitarists sound like they're just trying to impress by playing as fast as possible instead of making a proper melody or riff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
13 hours ago, Cameron Star said:

I said "make." On the technical side, yes, but not always the creative side. Some guitarists sound like they're just trying to impress by playing as fast as possible instead of making a proper melody or riff.

There can be plenty of melody in fast solos. Just look at DragonForce, for example. A lot of melody in their songs despite being fast-paced with a lot of solos thrown in there. And playing that fast is a skill in itself, so if they wanted to show off a little bit, why not? They practived enough to be able to play with that level of speed and technicality.

 

Watch this YouTuber  called Stevie T. He shows a lot off his guitar skills, but is very talented and makes bad songs sound good. 

  • Like 1
  • YEE 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
make total destroy

your favorite band sux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sivispacem
On 3/16/2020 at 11:21 PM, Arrows to Athens said:

Just look at DragonForce, for example. 

DragonForce are possibly the worst examples of this, as not only are most of their solos surprisingly simple from a technical standpoint (as they're basically just scales or arpeggios), they can't actually play them properly live. Also, their songs are totally devoid of hooks or memorable riffs. They're literally the poster children of playing fast for fast's sake and they can't even do that well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
13 hours ago, sivispacem said:

DragonForce are possibly the worst examples of this, as not only are most of their solos surprisingly simple from a technical standpoint (as they're basically just scales or arpeggios), they can't actually play them properly live. Also, their songs are totally devoid of hooks or memorable riffs. They're literally the poster children of playing fast for fast's sake and they can't even do that well.

Well, I only like about 4 or 5 songs from them, and that's pretty much it. I don't know about the band that much to know if they're capable of playing their own music live. Infant Annihilator is another example. Some say they cannot play any of their music live, especially the drummer. Eh...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sivispacem

The drummer from Belphegor, Martyn Jovanovich, whose also a pretty top notch drum teacher, did a drum cam analysis of the Infant Annihilator drummer and all but said he'd faked it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

I think Katy Perry has some absolute tunes. 

 

There, I said it.

 

Haven't listened to any of her latest songs though I must admit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
1 minute ago, Mr. Nobody said:

I think Katy Perry has some absolute tunes. 

 

There, I said it.

 

Haven't listened to any of her latest songs though I must admit.

I only like one song from her, and that's "Unconditionally".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 minute ago, Arrows to Athens said:

I only like one song from her, and that's "Unconditionally".

I like Firework, Teenage Dream, Roar, Hot N Cold.

 

Although you wouldn't catch me listening to them in public 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Mr. Nobody said:

Although you wouldn't catch me listening to them in public 😂

Yeah, true. I also like "Love Story" by Taylor Swift. That song gives me nostalgia. Demi Lovato's first and second album is some of my favourite pop music to listen to, and I think a big reason for that is because of the nostalgia. I've had a crush on her since I was a kid, beginning from Camp Rock.

 

And this is someone who also listens to extreme music, like deathcore, brutal death metal, slam metal, hardcore, etc... Though you won't find me listening to pop music all that often. It's a "every now and then" thing for me, especially if I'm in the mood to back to some childhood music.

 

Usually, it's rock, metal, and soundtrack music for me. Some electronic music (EDM, trance, chillstep, etc.), too.

Edited by Arrows to Athens
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mister Pink
Posted (edited)

Speaking of pop queens. I really like Lady GaGa's new track. It's got this excellent Disco-arpeggiator that I've been using in my own productions lately. It's just uplifting. Reason I got turned on to it was because the video was shot all on an iPhone 11 apparently.  And She's not normally my type but something damn sexy about the way she dances in this, ha!

 

 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
11 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

Speaking of pop queens. I really like Lady GaGa's new track. It's got this excellent Disco-arpeggiator that I've been using in my own productions lately. It's just uplifting. Reason I got turned on to it was because the video was shot all on an iPhone 11 apparently.  And She's not normally my type but something damn sexy about the way she dances in this, ha!

 

 

I used to jam out to Poker Face whilst pretending I hated it. 

 

giphy.gif

 

I hate having to feel guilty to like Pop music. I realize it's not a mastery of music or anything like that, but the tracks are uplifting, the lyrics are catchy and it's just easy to enjoy them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mister Pink
2 minutes ago, Mr. Nobody said:

I hate having to feel guilty to like Pop music. I realize it's not a mastery of music or anything like that, but the tracks are uplifting, the lyrics are catchy and it's just easy to enjoy them. 

I hear ya. Like that you like and just enjoy it and f*ck what others think.

 

My gripe with elements of pop music are there's just too many producers copying each other and some of it sounds so over-produced. I mean it's really great but almost too perfect it that makes sense. I like hearing a some anomaly, some mistake, something with a human element. One thing that nearly got me hating the Gaga track was this trend of using vocals that are pitch-shifted to sound squeeky. You know that YouTube travel vlog music those vloggers use. It's awful. I detest it. And it's just producers copying whatever the latest flavour is, no innovation. 

 

But yeah, that's not to discredit other pop music. And I have a soft spot for Gaga. She's an artist. She writes her own music, has her mad style and her seems to be in her own lane. So that's good in my books. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Mr. Nobody said:

I used to jam out to Poker Face whilst pretending I hated it. 

 

giphy.gif

 

I hate having to feel guilty to like Pop music. I realize it's not a mastery of music or anything like that, but the tracks are uplifting, the lyrics are catchy and it's just easy to enjoy them. 

It's why I enjoy pop punk a bit more. Poppy and catchy, but still has the intensity of punk rock. Check out this band called Dead by April. They mix metalcore with pop and electronic. They're extremely catchy. They're the band got me into metal.

 

One thing I can't stand is K-Pop and most modern rap.

Edited by Arrows to Athens
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
9 minutes ago, Arrows to Athens said:

It's why I enjoy pop punk a bit more. Poppy and catchy, but still has the intensity of punk rock. Check out this band called Dead by April. They mix metalcore with pop and electronic. They're extremely catchy. They're the band got me into metal.

 

One thing I can't stand is K-Pop and most modern rap.

K-Pop is well....let's not get in to that.

 

I don't mind some modern rappers that have that old school type of vibe about them or who are still lyrical, I can't stand mumble rappers though. I just don't get it. It doesn't sound like music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mister Pink
On 11/11/2019 at 8:48 PM, Rhoda said:

I remembered what my previous opinion was from the other week.

 

For the most part, I think band T-shirts look ridiculous. I still own a few, but I mostly reserve them for casual wear around the house. I don't think they're worn like they were... and I'm not entirely sure they ever were. I think it's one thing to see a middle aged man walking around with an Aerosmith T-shirt on, but quite another when I see somebody clearly keen to impress the difference is night and day. I don't know if that's me just being a judgmental prick but I don't think it's a good look.

 

Your not the only one. I still have music t-shirts and I love the idea of them or loved the idea of them. It was kind of a way to find your tribe when you were younger. But I don't mind if the t-shirts are subtle or a little more obscure. Wearing my Aphex t-shirt in the office I worked actually got me talking to good music head in there. It was the most casual office you could work in and there were over 250 people in that building, so it didn't look out of place, and besides, it's just a logo/symbol. And if there's any a tshirt that actually inspires people to engage with you, it's an Aphex tshirt. It's bizarre. 

 

But the whole t-shirts with any logos, funny things or just writing on them - they say, a man should never wear anything like that when he hits 30. And I kind of rolled with that myself. Still have that t-shirt but it's a bed t-shirt now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens
7 minutes ago, Mr. Nobody said:

K-Pop is well....let's not get in to that.

 

I don't mind some modern rappers that have that old school type of vibe about them or who are still lyrical, I can't stand mumble rappers though. I just don't get it. It doesn't sound like music.

Haha That's what non-metal fans say about death metal and other similar extreme metal genres. Mumble rap is music, but it's just not for me. They all sound very bland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
2 minutes ago, Arrows to Athens said:

Haha That's what non-metal fans say about death metal and other similar extreme metal genres. Mumble rap is music, but it's just not for me. They all sound very bland.

I guess so. People seem to like it so who am I to really say anything. I much prefer lyrical rap though, I love old school rappers. One of the biggest things in Rap for me is flow and how the rapper flows words and matches the beat, mumble rap just sounds really bland in comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GATSXI0212

Controversial means it's prone to debate right?

 

The rap out today is the golden age. I think the only people who think tupac is still the king haven't tried listening to rap from todays legends. Start with juice wrld, travis scott, g-eazy, and roddy rich. If you're daring also listen to lil peep and xxxtentacion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.