3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Motherstep

Controversial Music Opinions

mr quick

I also prefer The Who, but you can't just disregard the cultural value of the beatles and stones 😛 In that respect, they are something special. 

Domand
23 hours ago, ThatBenGuy said:

The Beatles and The Rolling Stones really are nothing special. 

Gah! How dare you!

lol just kidding friend.

In regards to OP..

I don´t know if this is considered controversial because I know theres quite a few people who agree, but plenty don´t. Sooooooo,I feel like a majority of music nowadays is not that good. Nothing like it used to be. I wish we could go back to some older era´s. Stuff was amazing! But I will admit though there is sometimes a few good songs here and there.  

Edited by Domand

mr quick

Not as much a controversial opinion as just a general opinion there, mate. Not only that, but you then go on to say it's not always the case - so what you are saying is "sometimes music is good and sometimes music is bad"

glad this thread came back :)

Domand
3 hours ago, mr quick said:

Not as much a controversial opinion as just a general opinion there, mate. Not only that, but you then go on to say it's not always the case - so what you are saying is "sometimes music is good and sometimes music is bad"

glad this thread came back :)

Are you talking to me? If so like I said I wasn´t sure if its controversial cause there has been lots of people I said that to have been shocked I don´t in general like today music as much. But I´ll take it down if it doesn´t belong here. 

Another thing for the OP question...

I feel like Ed Sheeran is way overrated. Don´t feel like I understand why everyone likes him as much as I´ve seen them like him. 

Edited by Domand

mr quick

No worries mate, I didn't mean to come off as being standoffish. Don't worry about taking it down or anything, it's just a dumb thread 😛

Jerking For Soup

I think there are certain genres/bands that can get away with a lot of things other bands can't.

You listen to some sh*tty nu metal and everyone says you're an edgelord (look at the Linkin Park memes prior to Chester's death), but if you listen to Nirvana or Radiohead, even though they have many songs with self-loathing depressing lyrics, no one gives a sh*t.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Radiohead (NOT PABLO HONEY) and Nirvana as much as the next guy, but isn't there a little bit of inconsistency there? 

Sure Yorke and Cobain never pranced around wearing all black and eyeliner but Bennington or Shinoda never did that either?

Edited by Jerking For Soup

BlackScout

Trance as a genre has been ruined by Mainstream Electronic Music. (What people wrongly call EDM.)

Electronic Music, in general, has been ruined. Of course, you can still find good music in the spectrum. All you need is to find the right tracks in the right place.

Edited by BlackScout

Spadge

Vaporwave is awful. Basic premise consists of samples from the 1980s being simply slown down. I hate the type of people who listen to it too, bunch of cringeworthy adolescents who want to relive a certain period of European history they never experienced, without the moral, work ethic or philosophy to go along with it. The survivability of that genre mostly relies on the uneasing trend of 80s hype and teenage angst.

Edited by Spadge

Jerking For Soup

I disagree. I love the spacey lo-fi organic feeling Vaporwave has. I don't give a sh*t about the 80s or corny sci-fi movies but I still listen to synthwave.

That's like saying you can't like jazz music because the time it was in the mainstream, people had a different work ethic, philosophy, political climate, etc. 

[...]

Shoegaze is underrated.

sivispacem
On 10/31/2018 at 10:43 AM, (Ambient) said:

Shoegaze is underrated.

Blackgaze, conversely, is very overrated. Bands like Deafhaven aren't the musical visionaries that people seem to think, and frankly a lot of their output is pretty dreary and derivative compared to other "post-black" subgenres.

Spadge

The Wings are better the the Beatles.

Sinner!

Ice Ice Baby > Under Pressure 

gXOhHV4.gif

Motherstep

Vaporwave is just Shoegaze for people who can only text with two hands.

Motorik
Posted (edited)

The Kinks, The Byrds and The Who>The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Queen and Pink Floyd

Captain Beefheart is not that great. I know it's really cool to say the guy is a genius, but I think his voice and arrangements destroy the good melodies he composes. Another experimental guys (Frank Zappa, The Velvet Underground, Can) are much better.

Edited by Motorik

GrudgefromSanAndreas

I hate this trend of relaxing guitar + chimes/bells songs used in media today, especially in recipe and instruction videos and commercials about something nice

Linkin Park should have sued Laura Pergolizzi for using the first letter of her name and surname as her artist name. It'd be equally bad if there was an artist called e.g. Pablo Armando Toni Diaz and he uses PATD as his artist name and Panic! at the Disco does nothing about it.

Mister Pink
Posted (edited)

Not controversial, just in defence of The Beatles :D 

think The Beatles are special extremely original. Just how they used the studio as a 5th member. The psychedelia. Their influence on popular culture and media and musicians we all love is unmatched. You may prefer some other band or think some other band is better but the chances are that band weren't doing these unusual and unprecedented things The Beatles were doing, especially production-wise. There was no blueprint for them.  They were the blue-print for many many bands after them.  They're an artist's favourite artist. Their level of creativity was huge. As Jimmy Page said, their earlier songs weren't anything to write home about but so fastly they matured musically, by the Magical Mystery Tour came about their songs we're so creative and complex.  

Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Vedder, Dave Grohl, Nirvana, John Bonham/Led Zeppelin, Beastie Boys, Freddie Mercury/Queen, Bob Marley,  Michael Jackson... and endless amounts of more people. Even just listening to Bowie speak of Lennon is this video says it all. (19:20s)

In 1966, I just can't think of anything that was so progressive before it in guitar-based music...The strange samples, sitars, reversed tape/melodies, and strange electronic samples and the hypnotic, almost tribal beat.  Then there's the strange existential lyrics that weren't really heard before in mainstream music.  This was most creative and psychedelic. Think of the context of hearing that 50 years ago. 

Edited by Mister Pinkerton

DownInTheHole

I think 80s nostalgic synthwave is overdone and the current 70s yacht rock revival is going to follow suit.

Ivan1997GTA

Personally, I'm more tolerant of songs by Nickelback than I am of songs by Gipsy Kings. Can't stand the latter's music, TBH.

Shakermaker

Pink Floyd is overrated.

Standard Deluxe 59

I think it took far more talent and skill to make music between the 50's and 80's than it takes to make newer music.

Also, this trend of inserting electronic, trancy crap into virtually every new song ruins the few I hear in stores that I think actually don't sound too bad. Until that stupid electronic beat drops. 

Kid-A

Maybe not that controversial to you guys idk, but Kanye is one of the greatest artists of all time.

sivispacem

@Motherstep might contest this one, but Death Grips have by and large failed to grip me since Government Plates/No Love Deep Web era. I don't know what it is; at a guess it's the lack of cohesion with some of the later output, but I've definitely been enjoying the likes of Dälek, Antipop Consortium and the like, and still regularly listen to Techno Animal's "The Brotherhood of the Bomb" so I've definitely not fallen out of love with the style.

Billy Russo

I think Coldplay is a great band. Their early 2000's music is fantastic.

DEALUX

Death Grips are overrated and verging on being unlistenable.

And this is coming from a guy that absolutely loves experimental music but this thing they're doing is so boring in my opinion.

Billy Russo

I don't mind mainstream music. I won't deny there is a lot of bad, but there is also the catchy songs they sometimes pump out. Most people try way too hard to distance themselves from what is deemed as 'popular' to seem cool or whatever.

Pyrrhic
Posted (edited)

Albums are way too long. It is rare to come across an album that legitimately would be worse off having a few songs removed. I think as a general rule 30 minutes is long enough for an LP and 15-20 minutes is enough for an EP. Some of the pros can stretch it out and have enough interesting stuff in there to maybe warrant pushing the album to 40 or 45 minutes, but there's really only a handful of albums (probably under 30) over 40 minutes where 100% of the album is worth listening to.

This has nothing to do with my grindcore background, promise.

Speaking of which, Discordance Axis is way overrated. The noisecore split they did with Capitalist Casualties is them at their peak. Inalienable isn't that good.

Death Grips is not interesting, and it's sad that that's a controversial opinion. The edginess factor is the only reason they're vaguely popular, as well as some aesthetic bullsh*t that hipsters froth over.

Radiohead is sh*te too. Any of those indie bands that it's cool to like, all rubbish. You know the ones I'm talking about.

Pure stoner doom has pretty much been null and void since Dopethrone. Electric Wizard's most recent album is actually pretty solid, though. Don't get the hate for it. Anyway, stoner sludge is the future.

I like cassettes. I know they're inconvenient, obsolete, and stupidly expensive for the product you receive, but for whatever reason I just like having them. I have no real justification for it.

Edited by Pyrrhic

Vega LVI
Posted (edited)

Aerosmith are the American, poor man’s alternative to the Rolling Stones (or maybe you already knew that).

Sgt. Pepper’s is absolutely NOT the greatest album ever made nor is it even the greatest Beatles album. Even the likes of Magical Mystery Tour and Let It Be are superior to it.

If by prog and psychedelic rock, you mean droning, apathetic, lifeless lullaby music is what Pink Floyd produced, then yes.

Quality nu metal does exist.

The Sex Pistols are utter sh*t.

Edited by Vega LVI

Duhillestpunk

Here’s a controversial opinion about music. Nirvana is overrated. Everybody and their mother either love or like Nirvana I however don’t. Each song sounds the same and the lyrics just seem to be just that lyrics. No heart into them. Kurt also is overrated himself. Apparently Crass influenced him whilst he was in Nirvana. I don’t believe that for a second. When something influences you in music, you can show it by playing the music or the lyrics in your songs. I don’t hear Crass styled guitar/ bass/ drums or Crass like lyrics. Kurt probably just said that just cos they were THE punk band.

FearThoseWhoFearHim

Sometimes worst albums tagged by the media and die-hard fans are better than the popular ones.

Like this album for example because was my introduction to this band many years ago, contrary to the first albums to make headbanging this was more Hard Rock oriented mixed with many samples to dance, but still very catchy, fresh and one of my favorite albums.