2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

HOW'S ANNIE?

Side characters that could work as protagonists

HOW'S ANNIE?

Imagine you're in charge of a complete hypothetical side-game, along the lines of LCS/VCS/IV DLCs. You have to chose any existing character to from a prior entry as your protagonist. It doesn't matter whether 3D or HD era, but who would you chose as a protagonist and where would you imagine their story leading? You can be imaginative too, I doubt the Housers ever originally intended to center an entire game around the fat dude gunned down in the VC intro.

Anyway, I think maybe giving 8-Ball his own story could open up a few interesting possibilities. He could start out in Witchita Gardens with a very loose Southside Hoods association as he builds his illicit weapons empire and eventually getting in with the Leones.

What are your ideas?

Crossbones

Mikhail Faustin, because at the end of the game the protagonist ends up rich and powerful and during the events of IV, Mikhail is both, rich and powerful. Plus, you play as a Russian mobster which has not happened yet. The story would be about Mikhail entering US, along with his family and Dimitri, setting up his own organisation and all.

Dwayne Forge, all the East Coast gangbanging scene, crack epidemic in Liberty City would make a great setting for the game. The game could be set a year before Dwayne went to prison. 

Jon Gravelli, 'cause Cosa Nostra is my favourite crime elements in GTA. The game could start with Gravelli working as a associate, eventually becoming made with some missions inspired with real-life events, like Three Capo murders, where you actually cut those bodies in pieces making it easy to dispose, problems with Boss due to unsanctioned hits. Side activities like running your own crew, extorting shops and restaurants, contract killings and all rackets Mafia used run in their heydays.

Failure

Gerry McReary. Set sometime during mid to late 90s. He is the second-in-command of the Irish Mob, led by his father. You are tasked to spread the influence of the gang and gain territory in the four boroughs, mainly Algonquin and Dukes, leading you to fight against the powerful Commission and less powerful ethnic gangs and the Russian Bratva. Gerry becomes the leader after McReary's death and finds himself going against powerful mobsters like Jon Gravelli, Sr., Kenny Petrovic and the lot. The main antagonist could be the city's police commissioner, who is aided by Francis to bring down the mafiya and further his career. A lot of potential here, especially with teenage Packie.

GTA-Biker
Posted (edited)

I think a game where we play as Big Mitch Baker in the 70s would be cool,kinda like a second prequel to VC.At the start of the game,we could see him coming home from Vietnam war,missing the adrenaline and deciding to buy a bike (maybe influenced by some of his old friends who became a biker while Big Mitch was fighting in Vietnam),start going to The Greasy Chopper bar and soon forming his own biker gang with other bikers who hang out there and getting involved in criminal underworld.It would cover both a game set in the 70s (which a lot of people would like,including me) and a full game with biker theme (TLAD was a great game,but I'd still like something with at least 50 story missions).

A game where we play as Cesar Vialpando (either before or after the events of GTA SA) would be interesting,since we never had a Latino gangbanger protagonist.We could see him lead the Aztecas,their rivalry with Vagos,their involvement in car-related subculture (lowriders and street racing).

I think Malc from TLAD could also work as protagonist of his own game,it would especially be interesting since pop culture rarely deals with the street racing sports bike riding bikers (other than Road Rash games and movie Biker Boyz).Not really sure what activities he and the rest of Uptown Riders would be involved in other than street racing,but seeing as he gave Johnny pipe bombs to attack AOD,helped him kidnap Roman and worked for Elizabeta,he's definitely isn't a stranger to more serious crime.

Edited by GTA-Biker

Jeansowaty

Little Weasel would be a great choice for a GTA SA prequel set in Los Santos, T-Bone Mendez for San Fierro and Paulie Sindacco for Las Venturas. 

For the HD Universe, I could see Ray Boccino as a good protagonist for a GTA IV prequel. Imagine a better go at a Mafia story than LCS was.

confederatestatesgta

lamar davis would make an amazing protagonist. for starters he loves the action and has so many crazy schemes. we could see him and franklin while they were younger. and maybe learn more about stretch and some of the other characters in the ghetto.

Technosis

agent 14 XD

JayKed20

Lamar (GTA5 DLC)  

Sweet (San Andreas Stories)

Cesar (San Andreas Stories) 

Packie (GTA5/4 DLC)  

Lil Jacob (GTA4 DLC)

Roman (Bowling Simulator 2k18)

MARKUS.

Maybe sounds crazy but... Ray Boccino?

Am Shaegar

Roman Bellic.

What a missed opportunity by Rockstar.

Algonquin Assassin

Cesar. Would've made San Andreas far more interesting.

Hmmm nice bike
12 hours ago, Am Shaegar said:

Roman Bellic.

What a missed opportunity by Rockstar.

Introducing the groundbreaking new feature of being able to hide in dumpsters and trunks of cars.

I actually remember way back before GTA IV was even out, people were spreading rumors that Niko would die at some point in the story and Roman would take over as protagonist. Even back then, people thought this was silly.

Cesar would definitely make a great protagonist, especially if Rockstar ever got around to making a "Los Santos Stories," which I kind of wish they had (after all, GTA III and VC got their own semi-prequel stories, but SA never got one despite being their most popular game). It could have been set in 1990 and revolved around Latino gangs in LS. I really do believe that not doing something like this was a huge missed opportunity on Rockstar's part.

Am Shaegar
Posted (edited)

Never knew but now that I know I wish those rumours were true. Roman anyways felt like a protagonist half the times. Roman also became successful without any murders or killings. He managed to get a taste of the American Dream as well. As a character, I found him moving forward, evolving and doing the right thing always.. There is a reason why Niko was always dependent on his advise. He had an important role in guiding Niko towards the right path. Without him, Niko is nothing. Just a ZERO. 

On the other hand, Cesar is certainly a good choice but as a replacement to CJ sounds silly and illogical for reasons I don't need to explain. 

Edited by Am Shaegar
Typos

Algonquin Assassin
7 hours ago, Am Shaegar said:

Never knew but now that I know I wish those rumours were true. Roman anyways felt like a protagonist half the times. Roman also became successful without any murders or killings. He managed to get a taste of the American Dream as well. As a character, I found him moving forward, evolving and doing the right thing always.. There is a reason why Niko was always dependent on his advise. He had an important role in guiding Niko towards the right path. Without him, Niko is nothing. Just a ZERO. 

On the other hand, Cesar is certainly a good choice but as a replacement to CJ sounds silly and illogical for reasons I don't need to explain. 

That's all well and good except for the fact Roman isn't a CRIMINAL which incase you need to be reminded every GTA protagonist is. He's also hardly a success lol. If he was a success he wouldn't be getting beaten up by loan sharks who he owes 1000s of dollars to. He's not Scarface or Al Capone. 

I can understand wanting a protagonist with the sights Roman sets his eyes on if that's what's appealling, but Roman being a physical character as he is in GTA IV makes as much sense as Rosenberg would if he was the protagonist in Vice City. GTA IV has so many great side characters like LJ, Packie, Dwayne, PBX etc who would easily slot into the protagonist role due to being actively being involved in the criminal underworld yet you choose Roman of all people. THAT's silly and illogical. 

Am Shaegar
Posted (edited)

Hm. I should have paid attention to the starting post. The reason I chose Roman is because I thought the topic asked about any side character I would like to see as a protagonist (as if R* wrote the entire story of IV with Roman as a protag), unlike chosing any "existing" character as your protagonist along the lines of DLC stories. In case of the latter, the Roman's character will remain the same. I had imagined a different scenario for Roman with a couple of changes that made his character personality more interesting for a GTA game. Now, if I have to pick any existing character then I will go with Sweet. I was always curious to see the struggle of the GSF from Sweet's point of view, his mothers death and the tough times the hood was going through. How was the hood back then and what lead to the decline before CJ returned? Even Ryder, Big Smoke's appearance as a supportive character will be also interesting to experience

Edited by Am Shaegar

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)

I think it would be amazing to see Roman evolve from a pussy to a trained criminal throughout the story. Roman as it was, can't be a protagonist but if R* wrote the story FOR HIM, seeing him evolve could pretty much cover up the lack of interesting gameplay for me. I'm not saying they should remove Niko. They could have made his backstory exactly like it is and place him as an immigrant who newly comes to the city because of Roman's (now the protagonist)lies. Niko could be a cool trainer and mission giver for Roman. 

We have yet to see a protagonist that ISN'T a criminal but EVOLVES into one in GTA(Vic could be an example but he had skills despite not being a criminal at the start) . I think it could be an interesting plot for VI as well. 

Edited by TheSantader25

IceDree

- Frank Tenpenny.

A story of a clean cut boy in blue crossing into the other side could be interesting.

- Wu Zi Mu.

How he became the Dai Dai Lu of the Mountain Cloud Boys & he's journey to become the leader of the Triads could be interesting as well.

luisniko

Young Salvatore Leone establishing the Leone gang in the 60s.

8Ball's prologue was already covered in GTA Advance. He helped us in Wichita Gardens and during the Colombian gang (not sure if it's the same Colombian Cartel as Catalina's) attack, we fled the scene and he screwed up, asked Mike to leave him, and that led him to the GTAIII opening. I can't really see him as a killer type. He's more of an engineer and "his hands are all messed up" in GTAIII was just unfortunate.

Son of Zeus

Packie. Much more charismatic than the boring Niko. The entire McReary family stuff was very interesting. Packie's story could have been like this: He's an ambitious fellow with a get-rich-or-die-trying mindset. In the end he loses his sister Kate and realises that crime isn't all fun and games. This would have made IV a much more entertaining game with more exciting missions. Missed opportunity by R*.

Cesar from SA. Would've been nice to see a story about Latino gangs. It's a shame we never got something like San Andreas Stories with Cesar as a lead.

Femme Fatale

Cesar and Packie.

Jerking For Soup

Michelle or Karen would be a great protag for a prequel to 4. Why was she in witness protection? 

leftturnonly

Love to have one of the prostitutes as the main character (At least an option). That would put such a unique spin on things. Not trying to be funny but it could actually be a very educational thing for most young players.