Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
      4. Frontier Pursuits
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA IV Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA SA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA VC Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA III Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Englishman1

Open map?

Recommended Posts

Englishman1

Do you think the entire map will be open from the start? Like in GTA v? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BretMaverick777

I honestly wouldn't be surprised.  Like Far Cry, there doesn't seem to be a required story sequence to get to the major plot points, so R* will probably let you explore the whole map at your leisure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joshua969

I actually hope it isn't.  I loved unlocking new areas in RDR as the story progressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr.Rosenthal

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lock n' Stock

The thing about GTA V's map is very little of it was separated by islands so there wasn't a whole lot to block off. I do hope that RDR2 doesn't pull the same thing however, unlocking another part of the map rather than having it all open to you just feels like a more satisfying form of progression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emmi

I hope it unlocks as you progress through the story. That's always a better idea than let you explore the entire world from the very beginning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BretMaverick777
1 hour ago, Emmi said:

I hope it unlocks as you progress through the story. That's always a better idea than let you explore the entire world from the very beginning.

I don't think that's necessarily the case.

 

Unlocking regions works best for RPG type games, especially ones where there are definite differences in the level of danger.  When you're first starting a Fallout campaign, you don't want your first battle to be with a deathclaw.  

 

But in games that don't rely on level progression, and generally emphasize wide open gameplay and encourage you to tell your own version of the story, an open map makes the most sense.   Far Cry is an obvious example.  

 

When you steer players from this section of the map to that section of the map, whether because of level progression or simply a linear plotline, then you create a one-dimensional journey for every player, where everyone has pretty much the same experience.   But when we're given an entire map, our stories are totally unique and wildly different, even though we're all striving towards the same common ending. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan

I like the idea of total freedom. So I hope it is open from the beginning. If the world is big enough, it shouldn't feel like spoiling the experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cutter De Blanc

The regions appear to be separated by bodies of water, so I guess it will depend on if we can swim?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BretMaverick777
1 hour ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

The regions appear to be separated by bodies of water, so I guess it will depend on if we can swim?

I don't spot many rivers at all on the leaked map that don't have a bridge crossing.   The others might have fords or ferries.  Plus, boats seem to be in the picture this time, from canoes all the way up to steamboats.   But yeah, I've heard lots of rumors that swimming will come into play, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SneakyDeaky

I hope the map is fully open. I find the old concept of unlocking regions as you move through the story kind of archaic. Do not get me wrong, it worked very well in RDR with the three distinct regions, but with MP having a fully open map from the start for GTA 4 RDR and then GTA 5, I found I had already spoiled myself just by testing the waters in online with friends that week the games launched.  The first night GTA 4 came out me and a friend wanted to play in online for an hour just to see what actual online GTA was like, and it must have spawned us in Algonquin because I remember feeling pissed off at the time.

And also over the last few years I've become a "walker" a player who walks around the game world a lot, exploring the minor details and distinct geography, and I find it off putting to be locked out of areas when I play like that, it means I have to now stop exploring and rush through story missions just so I can go back exploring.  Just leave the map open but if you don't want to explore later areas, just avoid it. For instance, I won't be going towards Saint Denis until much later as I don't want to spoil it early, but I would be mad if I wandered by there organically and then I'm locked out.  

Edited by SneakyDeaky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
8 hours ago, SneakyDeaky said:

I hope the map is fully open. I find the old concept of unlocking regions as you move through the story kind of archaic. Do not get me wrong, it worked very well in RDR with the three distinct regions, but with MP having a fully open map from the start for GTA 4 RDR and then GTA 5, I found I had already spoiled myself just by testing the waters in online with friends that week the games launched.  The first night GTA 4 came out me and a friend wanted to play in online for an hour just to see what actual online GTA was like, and it must have spawned us in Algonquin because I remember feeling pissed off at the time.

And also over the last few years I've become a "walker" a player who walks around the game world a lot, exploring the minor details and distinct geography, and I find it off putting to be locked out of areas when I play like that, it means I have to now stop exploring and rush through story missions just so I can go back exploring.  Just leave the map open but if you don't want to explore later areas, just avoid it. For instance, I won't be going towards Saint Denis until much later as I don't want to spoil it early, but I would be mad if I wandered by there organically and then I'm locked out.  

Totally agree. It is your adventure and you have to leave that choice with the player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.