3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Which GTA Game aged the worst ?

Beato_dim

GTA 3, in a way. It has mostly the same gameplay as the following games, but the vehicle handling is kinda wonky. And not being able to leap out of a moving car... well, it takes time to get used to.

billiejoearmstrong8

GTA III for the simple fact it doesn't have a map. After playing the games with a map and getting so used to having that feature I can't deal with not having it. And it generally being trickier to control and way harder than later games doesn't help (the way vehicles are trashed so quickly and gangs blowing your car up with two shotgun blasts whenever you enter their territory after a certain point or how tough some of the mission time limits are for example), it's just clunkier and too frustrating. And while the mute protagonist thing works ok for the game, once you've played GTAs with the protagonist talking and with a complex personality etc a mute protagonist just isn't as good in comparison.

Don't get me wrong it was a great and revolutionary game, and has a lot of the same awesome stuff going for it that the following games have along with a really cool dark atmosphere and story/themes. But in terms of the mechanics of gameplay, features and writing it's been improved upon by the other games too much.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 3
Jeansowaty

I'd say GTA LCS. It practically didn't bring anything new to the series except for a couple of new vehicles that were never reused again.

• Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8
7 hours ago, Jeansowaty said:

I'd say GTA LCS. It practically didn't bring anything new to the series except for a couple of new vehicles that were never reused again.

Just the fact that it was on PSP/a portable device was a huge deal at the time so I wouldn't say it didn't bring anything new. Being able to play GTA that way was revolutionary in itself. However I would agree it hasn't aged well, with the novelty of playing on PSP no longer applying and most people playing it on console where it can't really complete with "proper" console GTAs it doesn't have much going for it any more. Same for VCS.

• Like 2
Jeansowaty
2 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Just the fact that it was on PSP/a portable device was a huge deal at the time so I wouldn't say it didn't bring anything new. Being able to play GTA that way was revolutionary in itself. However I would agree it hasn't aged well, with the novelty of playing on PSP no longer applying and most people playing it on console where it can't really complete with "proper" console GTAs it doesn't have much going for it any more. Same for VCS.

Well you're kinda right, though VCS was far more complex, if it had a PC port it could easily rival even GTA San Andreas with all these immense features. LCS falls kinda flat in comparison with both of them.

• Like 5
Cjrememberthat

Maybe vice city, you can find it unplayable with the graphics right now

Algonquin Assassin
17 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

GTA III for the simple fact it doesn't have a map. After playing the games with a map and getting so used to having that feature I can't deal with not having it. And it generally being trickier to control and way harder than later games doesn't help (the way vehicles are trashed so quickly and gangs blowing your car up with two shotgun blasts whenever you enter their territory after a certain point or how tough some of the mission time limits are for example), it's just clunkier and too frustrating. And while the mute protagonist thing works ok for the game, once you've played GTAs with the protagonist talking and with a complex personality etc a mute protagonist just isn't as good in comparison.

Don't get me wrong it was a great and revolutionary game, and has a lot of the same awesome stuff going for it that the following games have along with a really cool dark atmosphere and story/themes. But in terms of the mechanics of gameplay, features and writing it's been improved upon by the other games too much.

Even the small things we probably take for granted in later games like being able to jump from moving cars are a nuisance in GTA III because they don't exist. I still love GTA III for its atmosphere, city etc, but core gameplay wise it's as archaic as they come sadly.

• Like 7
  • 2 months later...
iiCriminnaaL

Excluding the top-down titles, it's either GTA III or Vice City.

Sure, GTA III lacks certain features that were introduced in Vice City. More importantly, crouching, bailing out of cars, vehicle damage physics, a map (which is available in the mobile version of GTA III though) and a talking protagonist. But GTA III does have its own advantages over Vice City:

• The city's layout is arguably better designed. Shoreside Vale has its flaws, but the overall map aged better than Vice City's IMO, where literally half of Vice City Beach is consisted of, well... a huge beach. Vice City Mainland isn't any better, with Downtown being quite empty, and Little Haiti is filled with copies of tiny, poorly designed houses. Not to mention that almost half of it is taken by the airport and the military base.
  • Swimming is not as much of an annoyance in GTA III, since you don't get close to the water as much as you do in a tropical setting like Vice City.
  • To be honest, Vice City's outfit system is more of an annoyance than its complete absence in GTA III. Every new outfit must be collected from a certain location of the map, and in case you started a new storyline mission, got killed or arrested, your clothes will set back to default again. I'll give it a pass for being the first GTA title to feature player customization options, but I'll admit, it's really frustrating.

Some other ones mightn't be as relevant, but I guess they're still worth mentioning:

• Storyline probably doesn't count, but my complain here is about the missions' narratives, not the core of the story. In GTA III, every storyline mission is directly connected to the core story of Claude's will of confronting Catalina, by any means necessary. On the other hand, GTA Vice City's story is splitted into two chapters: the first one is about Tommy making his own contacts and eventually taking over the city, while the second half is basically a waiting game until Sonny arrives, where the asset missions count as parts of the story. And well, having to purchase every business asset in order to proceed is also very frustrating.
  • Maybe doesn't matter that much, but Claude has a far more believable sprinting speed than Tommy. This doesn't only make it more realistic, but the fact that vehicles are more of a necessary in GTA III is also a plus in my book, as opposed to Vice City, where certain situations can easily be solved simply by sprinting, whether it was reaching a certain location, or chasing an enemy, as long as he didn't get too far away to the point where you need to use a vehicle.
  • Like 6
Lioshenka

GTA VC.

The moment I played SA I lost almost all interest in VC. The map is small, and it brings down all other great things that it may have. Take the 80-ies athmosphere for example - there's only the prom filled with the neons really.

Little Haiti is tiny, so is everything else. The moment you try to enjoy and soak in the atmosphere it collapses. Too many different areas packed into a small map.

And then the lack of activities to participate in, and the lack of things to look at make you realise how bad the graphics are.

But at least when I say that VC has aged badly, it means that it was great at one point. Unlike some more recent titles, that were never great to start off with.

Edited by Lioshenka
Max.pain

gta 3 aged alright. vice city didn’t in terms of graphics and movement. san andreas aged better than the others in 3d era. we can say gta 5 and gta 4 aged the best generally. gta 4 wins at some parts, any other games physics look garbage after playing gta 4 even if they are normally good lol

Edited by Max.pain
  • Like 3
  • 7 months later...
StrafeFTW

I'll say GTA 3. I've played GTA SA and it is the only GTA game in the 3D universe to age well. GTA SA is still fun and funny. The controls are even though not as good as GTA V, it was playable and easier to use compare to GTA VC and 3. As of today, GTA SA, IV and V are the only GTA games that I think aged well

• Like 3
Nappy

My current opinion. Gta V is terrible in terms of mission. Gta III is awesome on that one. Gta IV aged the best, graphics are great and physics, level design are simply awesome. San Andreas is still great, but not compared to Gta IV.

• Like 8
El Penguin Bobo

Excluding the 2D era games, I'll say GTA III aged very poorly, not to say it was a bad game, but it lacks so many things that the other games had like swimming, car bailouts, bikes, even the controls didn't age that well either.

• Like 4

For me is GTA 3. I never really loved it, it miss so many things (imao the no voiced character is something really old age and weird) and now I would never think of playing again.

Edited by Jowday

Whenever I play GTA 4 now I really don't like how the graphics look. Everything looks really saturated/contrasted or something and I can't see that far down the road.

Algonquin Assassin

I'm still of the view that basically every GTA before GTA IV hasn't aged that well. Trying to go back without Euphoria, a lack of cover, the same old wanted system that had been around pretty much since GTA 1, the jerky aiming etc is a bitter pill to swallow. This of course doesn't mean they can't still be fun and I'll always value GTA III and Vice City (Eh the other 3D era GTAs. Not so much), but there comes a time where I have to accept that they're old now and the 2D era is simply ancient.

A bit like an old dog you love dearly, but then you realise maybe it's time to put them down because they're too old and they're slowing dying and their best years are behind them as much as it breaks your heart..

The HD era on the other hand hasn't aged much at all. GTA IV still feels as great as when I first played it in 2008. Many games from that era haven't aged as gracefully as this masterpiece and GTA V (atleast on current gen consoles) still feels great too and has held up extremely well for the most part.

• Like 3
Meekail

The 3D era games haven't aged well in general, but GTA 3 has gotta be the worst. It always impresses me how much they improved with the following games (GTA SA in particular) in such a short span of time.

Edited by Meekail
  • Like 5
Niobium

in terms of story, i'd say that V hasn't aged well at all. some characters are decent, but others just piss me off to no end and the plot had less to do with robbing banks and more to do with being an errand boy for the FIB, michael bickering with trevor, michael bickering with his family, trevor inexplicably turning martin madrazo from a scary mofo into a pussy, franklin just being franklin in the background, trevor running around in blaine county just slaughtering everyone and not really being a drug dealer, two unmemorable antagonists, trevor's f*ckery in general....

(i think i would still rather go back to playing V than III or VC though. but probably not SA or VCS)

Edited by Niobium
  • Like 3
perennial

Objectively, the 2D era games followed by GTA III, though I feel III's map aged better than Vice City. The Liberty City mod that ports GTA III to Vice City's improved engine helps to preserve the game a bit better, but I still find GTA III loads of fun to play despite its outdatedness.

I think none of the games have aged so badly that that they are unplayable, I still find driving in 3D era games intuitive and the shooting (at least with keyboard and mouse) does the job. It's incredible how I still find new things in these old games and I'm thankful that the community is still interested in modding and documenting the 3D era titles.

• Like 3
Patrizio

When I picked up IV again about a year I thought there was an issue with my TV - I'd forgotten how grey the graphics were. Graphics-wise I'd felt it had aged a little. That said, like III before it, I'll give IV a pass as it was the dawn of a new era.

I'll get flack for this but here we go: as soon as I played V and realised:

• The wanted system is way over the top to the point when rampaging isn't fun;
  • 99% of fist fights end with one punch
  • Where the car damage physics of IV were removed

I couldn't give V a chance to age at all - in fact it put me off immediately and left with a bad taste towards it that I still have now. VI will either surpass V and it'll be forgotten about or it'll fail in a similar way and the series as whole will age. 

Quite a negative post from me but one thing that keeps IV from aging less is the good physics and a compelling story to replay. Plus, EFLC "fixed" so to speak any gripes about vanilla IV. V doesn't have an EFLS/SA and thus to me, despite its fantastic graphics and level to detail, is the opposite of aged - it hasn't even matured to a point where it could age.

All of the 3D era games have aged but I look at them fondly with nostalgia. Each game brought an upgraded mechanic - VC brought crouching and jumping out of a moving vehicle plus vehicle damage. SA brought jumping and climbing over ledges. As others have said, III's map aged far better than VC but VC's atmosphere and storyline is still very replayable. I don't play any of the 3D games anymore but I imagine for those that loved what SA brought to the table in terms of the huge diverse map it hasn't aged and V can't compete with that.

Edited by PaddsterG2k3
  • Like 7
GrudgefromSanAndreas

GTA1, GTA3 (except map and vibe), Advanced, LCS and Online

To some extent i could say the tree (canopy) textures in IV are pretty bad, and in case of V i agree with Paddster and Niobium, also i got bored of V after 3 weeks of overall gameplay. It was fun to customize the muscle and vintage cars and Cavalcade, then drive around to attract attention pretending i'm cool, but then once i stole a chrome Bifta and drove around with it for 2 minutes, i felt nothing, not even attracting attention with peds taking pics was fun anymore 😕

I didnt even bother trying to do sth else, i just stopped playing V. But who knows, maybe it will be fun once again after some time, but i doubt it.

JetNormalGuy

GTA 3 and Vice City are fun, until you try to play them with a controller.seriously the controls on VC and III on A controller are f*cking horrible that I can't believe people had fun playing on the ps2

atleast SA and the stories games gave you the simple ability to move the camera around without having to go first person (tho i must say the sensibility on SA is too damn slow that you can't keep up with gunfights unless you spam L1 in the direction you're looking at) but for me, they are still playable as in PC which is a shame since I always enjoyed playing GTA games with a controller.

Edited by JetNormalGuy
  • Like 1
HOW'S ANNIE?

I see a lot of people here commenting on GTA IIIs clunky mechanics as being a problem. To me it adds to the charm of the game, and not in a nostalgic way either. In GTA III some missions required you to think ingenuitive way, a way that makes you plan ahead.

Take for example Sayonara Salvatore in III vs Pest Control in GTA IV. Both missions involve a similar premise gameplay; take out a mobster driving with a convoy of body guards. In IV, the gameplay makes Ray and his goons easy canon fodder assuming you have an assult rifle and a couple of grenades (which by that point in the story should be staples of your inventory). But in III, a few well rounded shots still isn't enough to take out Salvatore and easily make it out in one piece. You had to snipe him, block his driveway with a bus, throw that grenade around the corner at just the right moment, be able to load enough lead into his car without being driven off the road... And still hope to god his shotgun wielding entourage didn't get within arms reach of you. And then of course you have happy accidents where his driver just so happens to plummet off a cliff into the ocean (sh*t like that would never happen in IV).

If Rockstar's intention was to throw the player into the most dangerous city in America then they surely achieved it.

• Like 2
Algonquin Assassin
19 minutes ago, HOW'S ANNIE? said:

I see a lot of people here commenting on GTA IIIs clunky mechanics as being a problem. To me it adds to the charm of the game, and not in a nostalgic way either. In GTA III some missions required you to think ingenuitive way, a way that makes you plan ahead.

Take for example Sayonara Salvatore in III vs Pest Control in GTA IV. Both missions involve a similar premise gameplay; take out a mobster driving with a convoy of body guards. In IV, the gameplay makes Ray and his goons easy canon fodder assuming you have an assult rifle and a couple of grenades (which by that point in the story should be staples of your inventory). But in III, a few well rounded shots still isn't enough to take out Salvatore and easily make it out in one piece. You had to snipe him, block his driveway with a bus, throw that grenade around the corner at just the right moment, be able to load enough lead into his car without being driven off the road... And still hope to god his shotgun wielding entourage didn't get within arms reach of you. And then of course you have happy accidents where his driver just so happens to plummet off a cliff into the ocean (sh*t like that would never happen in IV).

If Rockstar's intention was to throw the player into the most dangerous city in America then they surely achieved it.

Not to refute the points being made here, but this really has nothing to do with the mechanics themselves or atleast what people are trying to get at. GTA III has great open ended mission design, but the shooting mechanics are pretty bad and dated, the lack of being able to shoot and crouch is annoying and other mechanics that have already been mentioned like not being able to swim, bailing from moving vehicles etc. 

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
Ratt Pakk

All 2d & 3d era GTA games except SA & VCS are boring after you complete the story missions. The side missions are not enough or fun as SA & VCS.

GTA IV & V are fun, I don’t know why but I wasn’t impressed with them as much as SA & VCS. 

• Like 3
GTA-Biker

I think GTA 3 already felt aged before they even switched to HD universe.

The gangs in GTA 3 were kinda basic and generic compared to those from later games.GTA SA gave us a fairly realistic portrayal of gangs with Families vs Ballas and Vagos vs Aztecas in Los Santos, Asian gangs in San Fierro, Italian mob families in Las Venturas, Russian mob trying to move in after the cold war ended, those Cobra bikers in the rural towns, etc.GTA VC and VCS with rivalries between different street gangs (Cubans vs Haitians in the former,and Cubans vs Cholos in the latter) and between Diaz cartel and Mendez cartel in the latter,and even LCS with several mob families (Leones, Forellis, Sindaccos and the Sicilians) competing for dominance in Liberty City also had somewhat realistic gangs.On the other hand,GTA 3 had a generic Italian mob, a generic cartel, generic triads, generic yakuza, generic Latino street gang, generic African-American street gang, etc.It felt like they still weren't sure where to go with the gangs,should the game have goofy and unrealistic gangs like GTA 2 or more realistic gangs that later games had.

Also,the graphics, physics and some gameplay features (or the lack of some of them,such as motorcycles, functional aircraft, or crouching) feel outdated.

Edited by GTA-Biker
  • Like 3
Squirrel 2.0

I'm re-playing San Andreas on PS4 and it aged really terrible. The graphics and the overral controls are horrible compared to the PC version, the game is frustating cause only one mistake during a mission can make it fail because there are no checkpoint and the worst thing: if you die you lose all weapons. There is no automatic savegame system, the physics of the cars is abominable, the shooting phases are embarassing and controls are really terrible in the console (in the PC version is more playable with the mouse and keyboard).

But...is a great game for its time and remain a milestone in the history of the videogames.

Edited by Squirrel 2.0
El Penguin Bobo
2 hours ago, Squirrel 2.0 said:

if you die you lose all weapons.

Reload your save if you die or lose all of your weapons. That's what everyone does.

• Like 3