3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Which GTA Game aged the worst ?

Mr_Long

As much as people hate on GTA 4 and GTA 5 for changing things up there's simply some things the older GTA's fail in. 

I think Gta 4 and Gta 5 will age pretty well. It's been 10 years since Gta 4 and I can still play it and feel like I'm playing a modern open world. Gta 5 will most likely be the same too, but older games didn't age as well. 

Overall I'd think I would have to say that Gta vice city might of aged pretty badly. Mainly because of this

Spoiler

latest?cb=20080609101019

While there's a clear 80's vibe the map feels small. The reason this is since there's literally one road to get across the island your on. Liberty City in GTA 4 felt huge because of the skyscrapers and tight roads. Another this is in this game you can't swim which sucks since getting out of boats can be a pain. The lack of a girlfriend system and physics can also be another thing. The RC vehicles are some of the worst things in GTA history. The controls are bad, and those missions aren't very fun. Helicopters in Gta vice city have a pretty bad height limit that can be very annoying. Widescreen mode is the worst part of the game since the weapons are very inaccurate.

Losing all your weapons whenever you die and no mission checkpoints is something I took for granted. The controls in general are strange too. The vehicles damage is a bit ridicolous too, but the soundtrack to this day hasn't aged a bit.

But I was curious what everyone else thinks. Which game do you think aged pretty badly ?

• Like 4
TheSantader25

The 3D GTAs might have outdated mechanics but at least they are responsive. The games have rules that still work so you can adapt. 

However the controls in GTA 4 are so unresponsive. the cover system is so slow. I can't believe it but it's more enjoyable to ride a vehicle in 3D games as well. 

• Like 9
Algonquin Assassin

None of the 3D era GTAs have aged particularly well to me. I can look passed the graphics, but not the outdated shooting mechanics, physics etc.  Even when they were new they never felt as technically proficient as other games of the same genre which has sped up their aging process.  

It's pretty jarring going back to them when the HD era GTAs have cover systems, autosave, rideable taxis etc.

• Like 6
Laremi Story

As much as I love the 3D GTAs, I can't deny that the HD era has improved gameplay wise (slugginess on the character movement would be the exception and this is across IV, RDR and V)

• Like 4
Algonquin Assassin
2 hours ago, Am Shaegar said:

The shooting aspect is definitely the worst thing about 3D GTA's, but I have to disagree on the physics, esp., SA. They are spot on.

Even the AI in general is a big disappointing factor about the 3D GTA's. The fact that you can shoot in the legs and watch the enemies or cops crumple to the ground is again a great addition of the modern GTA's.

The issue is that the 3D GTA's have a lot more to offer than just shooting and driving, unlike the games like GTA 4 where I have spend so much time in enjoying the gunplay that its starting to get old and boring. It was great fun but not something that I found good enough to stay invested into the game even after ten years since release. This is where 3D GTA' have aged fantastically because of the amount of possibilities present in them to pass good time inside the sandbox. I can easily ignore the crappy gun play and sh*t AI since I tend to spend less time on shooting than freeroaming, driving and roleplaying in SA that those weaknesses hardly ever bothered me, at all.

GTA V with mods allows me to experience the same magic of gunplay and ragdoll that I enjoyed during GTA 4 years back, and that further discourages me to pick IV. 

Good for you.

I don't play on PC so mods are out of the question for me. I'm only judging them based on their console counterparts.

• Like 2
TheSantader25

I don't play on PC either however 3D GTAs have a lot to offer. There is literally nothing to do in IV when the story is finished. Hanging out with friends has always been boring to me. 

TBOGT is an exception. I always come back for some fun. 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 5
Officer Ronson

I can say GTA III to GTA VCS still feel fun due to the unique gimmicks they offer that other GTAs haven't explored, also they're still pretty addictive, especially the rampages in III due to the gore. 

However, if I had to say which game aged the worse, it would be LCS, it's not that it ins't fun, it's just the feeling of it and some of the clunky movement. 

• Like 3
Tycek

I guess my answer would be San Andreas. I like it very much in the days and I've completed it 5 times, but I simply cannot get back to it. This is quite funny because I don't have any problems with playing VC or even GTA 3, but San Andreas simply throws me off due to its clunkiness and lack of refinement. I guess older titles are more bearable due to their comic book like appearance, but San Andreas tried to get for the semi-realistic models, which became old very quickly. I also cannot stand it's wonky mechanics, like shooting, where CJ is aiming at the sky instead of enemies, broken alphas on vehicles, making the dents to appear in wrong areas, etc, which weren't present or were less noticeable in GTA 3 or VC.

I can play GTA 1 and GTA 2 without any problems, but I guess in this case it due to overall simpleness of aforementioned games.

• Like 2
Algonquin Assassin
26 minutes ago, Tycek said:

I guess my answer would be San Andreas. I like it very much in the days and I've completed it 5 times, but I simply cannot get back to it. This is quite funny because I don't have any problems with playing VC or even GTA 3, but San Andreas simply throws me off due to its clunkiness and lack of refinement. I guess older titles are more bearable due to their comic book like appearance, but San Andreas tried to get for the semi-realistic models, which became old very quickly. I also cannot stand it's wonky mechanics, like shooting, where CJ is aiming at the sky instead of enemies, broken alphas on vehicles, making the dents to appear in wrong areas, etc, which weren't present or were less noticeable in GTA 3 or VC.

I can play GTA 1 and GTA 2 without any problems, but I guess in this case it due to overall simpleness of aforementioned games.

Don't ever try the "remaster" that was released in 2014. The HD makeover makes character models look like they were dipped in vaselline and it has more bugs than a pest control expert can manage. That's what happens when you try to paint an old, sh*tty Honda Civic to look like a Ferrari.

• Like 6
Tycek

I heard so much about that "remaster" that I would rather play original on PS2 or PC version. And since the remaster has heavily cut OST there is not a single reason to play it, unless you really want to get these few achievements.

• Like 4
Jack Lupino

I would say GTA 3 has aged badly.

While it was a groundbreaking game of its time the AI and clunky vehicle controls make it feel bad.

Also it has less features than other 3D era games.

16 hours ago, Mr_Long said:

As much as people hate on GTA 4 and GTA 5 for changing things up there's simply some things the older GTA's fail in. 

I think Gta 4 and Gta 5 will age pretty well. It's been 10 years since Gta 4 and I can still play it and feel like I'm playing a modern open world. Gta 5 will most likely be the same too, but older games didn't age as well. 

Overall I'd think I would have to say that Gta vice city might of aged pretty badly. Mainly because of this

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20080609101019

While there's a clear 80's vibe the map feels small. The reason this is since there's literally one road to get across the island your on. Liberty City in GTA 4 felt huge because of the skyscrapers and tight roads. Another this is in this game you can't swim which sucks since getting out of boats can be a pain. The lack of a girlfriend system and physics can also be another thing. The RC vehicles are some of the worst things in GTA history. The controls are bad, and those missions aren't very fun. Helicopters in Gta vice city have a pretty bad height limit that can be very annoying. Widescreen mode is the worst part of the game since the weapons are very inaccurate.

Losing all your weapons whenever you die and no mission checkpoints is something I took for granted. The controls in general are strange too. The vehicles damage is a bit ridicolous too, but the soundtrack to this day hasn't aged a bit.

But I was curious what everyone else thinks. Which game do you think aged pretty badly ?

I respectfully disagree.Yes the HD era has more realism,better physics,graphics etc.  3D gtas era has more replay value.

This is because i think 3D era gave more freedom to players in completing a mission.

I started to play both The Lost and Damned and Vice City Stories in 2018 i got bored to tears playing the first game. and i stopped playing.

While i am still currently playing Vice City Stories inspite of bad graphics and outdated physics.

Edited by Jack Lupino
  • Like 5
Ondr4H

GTA V singleplayer aged well.

Only fun now are chases with most annoying cops in gta history.It literally stuck in 2013 .

Johnny Spaz

GTA V aged like sh*t, I can still play all the others and enjoy them, but V is just complete garbage

• Like 2
TheSantader25

It's always nice to see people bash V even in a thread like this. GTA V may be many things but you all know damn well it doesn't feel old. Stop acting like kids it's getting ridiculous. 

Just because you didn't like a game you just can't bash it in ANY THREAD. I doubt the OP himself would believe seeing V as the one that has aged in the comments. 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 9
Hmmm nice bike

The mobile "remaster" of GTA SA. It's not worth it, and in some ways it's a downgrade. That game is the perfect example of why some games just shouldn't be remastered. A re-release like III and VC got would have been suffice, and thank god those games never ended up with the attempt at making the graphics look more HD, because it looked awful for SA.

Edited by Hmmm nice bike
  • Like 5
Mr_Long
5 hours ago, Jack Lupino said:

While i am still currently playing Vice City Stories inspite of bad graphics and outdated physics.

I never once in my original post mentioned graphics so Idk why people are assuming that. I said physics.

28 minutes ago, Johnny Spaz said:

GTA V aged like sh*t, I can still play all the others and enjoy them, but V is just complete garbage

? Why are you bashing on GTA 5 ? Gta 5 has barely even aged since its Rockstar's latest title, at least the game has better gameplay than GTA 4. 

• Like 6
TheSantader25
9 minutes ago, Mr_Long said:

I never once in my original post mentioned graphics so Idk why people are assuming that. I said physics.

? Why are you bashing on GTA 5 ? Gta 5 has barely even aged since its Rockstar's latest title, at least the game has better gameplay than GTA 4. 

You're new here. It's a trend to bash V in this forum(specially By IV fanboys) even in threads that aren't relevant. You'll get used to it. 👍

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 8
YellowJacket

The first one.

I mean, I would still play it, but, compared to the overall advancements in everything gaming since then.....it looks awful next to the most recent GTA games.

Laker23

I typically don't like going back to games that are too old, as I don't wanna ruin the nostalgia. Against my better judgement I tried playing the 'remaster' of San Andreas on the PS4, but just couldn't do it. 

The driving was OK, everything else turned into a chore that I just couldn't be bothered with.

It hasn't ruined my overall impression, though I won't be going back to the others as I know the feelings won't be the same.

• Like 1
Algonquin Assassin
5 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

It's always nice to see people bash V even in a thread like this. GTA V may be many things but you all know damn well it doesn't feel old. Stop acting like kids it's getting ridiculous. 

Just because you didn't like a game you just can't bash it in ANY THREAD. I doubt the OP himself would believe seeing V as the one that has aged in the comments. 

The OP stated "which GTA aged the worst". Not "which GTA aged the worst besides GTA V".And it depends on the platform too. He might only have GTA V on a last gen console which lacks the refinement of the PC and current gen versions. Then again maybe he just doesn't like the gameplay. A bit like you and a few others don't like GTA IV's, but THAT's ok right?

• Like 4
Sonny_Black

GTA 5 on the xbox 360 which I have mods, and still, it really didn't aged well. Worse than GTA 4 for example.

That's kind of normal since some gameplay elements were already dated at the release.

Except this game I can't pretty much play every GTA from III to IV. Vice City stories especially, is still a blast imo.

Edited by anthony
  • Like 4
TheSantader25
3 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

The OP stated "which GTA aged the worst". Not "which GTA aged the worst besides GTA V".And it depends on the platform too. He might only have GTA V on a last gen console which lacks the refinement of the PC and current gen versions. Then again maybe he just doesn't like the gameplay. A bit like you and a few others don't like GTA IV's, but THAT's ok right?

Told ya.  he DID get surprised. What do you mean lacks the refinement? In terms of Gameplay there is almost no difference between PC/CURRENT GEN with last gen. The only big difference is first person and graphics. And if The graphics are dated in V then every GTA has awful graphics now. NOT LIKING the gameplay doesn't mean the game has aged. 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 3
Algonquin Assassin
1 hour ago, TheSantader25 said:

Told ya.  he DID get surprised. What do you mean lacks the refinement? In terms of Gameplay there is almost no difference between PC/CURRENT GEN with last gen. The only big difference is first person and graphics. And if The graphics are dated in V then every GTA has awful graphics now. NOT LIKING the gameplay doesn't mean the game has aged. 

The current gen/PC version also improved lighting, textures, added new vehicles, weapons etc. I haven't played the last gen version of GTA V in almost 4 years and I'm confident if I did it would not feel that good.

Regardless of what platform he plays it on it's still a perfectly valid opinion since we're not talking about graphics.

• Like 1
TheSantader25
34 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

The current gen/PC version also improved lighting, textures, added new vehicles, weapons etc. I haven't played the last gen version of GTA V in almost 4 years and I'm confident if I did it would not feel that good.

Regardless of what platform he plays it on it's still a perfectly valid opinion since we're not talking about graphics.

Yes but we're talking about aging which is basically graphics, mechanics, physics. 

Having new weapons or cars can't make up for a game if it's aging. It's just additional content based on the main gameplay. Therefore in case of AGING there is no difference between this gen and last gen except for graphics. The physics/mechanics aren't improved in current gen

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 2
mustafa the king

i see gta 3 is worst gta

1- the story

2- you can't go any intireor just 3 palces

3- the best idea was removed like gta 1 charcters in gta3 childrens {love hurts} misson was removed

DOUGL4S1

GTA Advance, if I had to guess without previous knowledge, I'd guess it came out in the early 90s, not 2004.

• Like 4
ThatBenGuy

Probably GTAs 1, 2, and Advance. I never played any of them nor do I really care to. As much as I hate to say it based on the fact that I like III, VC, and SA, but unfortunately, those three have aged almost as bad.

• Like 3
  • 10 months later...
Dkent552

GTA V has aged terribly. Replaying the missions in that game are a chore because they are not fun. GTA IV has aged the best mostly because the game is fun, has some minigames and jobs within it, and the graphics are not gamebreaking. GTA San Andreas has aged great, so has GTA Vice City if you can take the graphics. GTA III has aged the worst, the game is fun, the graphics are terrible and it has the worst free roam.

• Like 3