3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

spaceeinstein

GTAModding wiki

spaceeinstein
Posted (edited)

Since GTAModding.com is still down, I am currently attempting to transfer all our research over to Grand Theft Wiki. Unfortunately I haven't made a backup copy of the website since I never thought it would be down again for so long. I'm using the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine to retrieve the articles but do note that not all articles were saved or kept updated there. If you want to help out, please remember to list past contributors in the edit summary. For example, the GXT article has this as the edit summary when I copied it over:

contributions from myself, Blackbird88, DK22Pac, fastman92, GooD-NTS, LINK2012, Seemann, Silent, and Wesser

I was the most active and prolific contributor at GTAModding.com right before it kind of died, so if you have any questions you can ask me here.

Edited by spaceeinstein

codenulls

RIP. The wiki saved me so much time, I think I can start contributing by next week.

LINK/2012
Posted (edited)

The MediaWiki API is still working on there, so you might extract pages, content, history and everything else with up to date information.

The API is over https://www.gtamodding.com/api.php. This very same problem has happened before to other wikis, and there exists documentation on Google on Exporting and Reimporting an entire wiki by using the API.

I don't trust GTANet under responsibility of maintaining the wiki (or anything modding wise for that matter), but I don't know. A wiki about everything GTA (not only modding stuff) doesn't seem very coherent too. 

Maybe another wiki should be created. But then we get back on the problem of who to trust the maintenance of it.

This situation is really sad because unfortunately it will create a degree of fragmentation on the community.

Edited by LINK/2012

spaceeinstein

Thanks for the info, I never checked if the API actually worked. If another wiki is needed, I 100% trust gboyers at GrandTheftWiki. GrandTheftWiki was the first major wiki dedicated to GTA and he has been maintaining it ever since. I can ask him to create a dedicated website entirely separate from GTW if needed.

uNi

I already asked Tank if he could speed up the process and if needed, import the gtamodding wiki into our main wiki meanwhile: gta.wiki

grovespaz

To anyone who's still interested in this.

I've waited for a while to see if GTAModding would come back up but it's taking too long for me and in my mind every day we wait we risk losing the valuable content.

I've ripped the latest version of all pages on GTAModding through the API. I would gladly cooperate with anyone considered trustworthy to import the pages into a new wiki.

If no one is willing, I'm going to set up a new wiki myself and import all pages there in the hopes it can be useful to somebody.

I'd rather not do the second as the fragmentation is one of the biggest risks in the current situation.

I ripped:

• Pages
  • Talk pages
  • Templates
  • Categories
  • Files
    • Description + content

floof
5 hours ago, grovespaz said:

To anyone who's still interested in this.

I've waited for a while to see if GTAModding would come back up but it's taking too long for me and in my mind every day we wait we risk losing the valuable content.

I've ripped the latest version of all pages on GTAModding through the API. I would gladly cooperate with anyone considered trustworthy to import the pages into a new wiki.

If no one is willing, I'm going to set up a new wiki myself and import all pages there in the hopes it can be useful to somebody.

I'd rather not do the second as the fragmentation is one of the biggest risks in the current situation.

I ripped:

• Pages
  • Talk pages
  • Templates
  • Categories
  • Files
    • Description + content

Since the staff here have no intention of taking gta seriously on gtanet with RDR2 on the horizon I sent you a PM offering hosting for a new Wiki. I used the gtanet wiki almost daily so I've been pretty pissed with all the down time. I doubt it will be up any sooner.

grovespaz

I've set up https://gtamodding.wiki and imported all content from GTAModding.com into it. Feel free to use it, update it, etc. Should GTAModding.com come back at some point (and I suspect it will) I will do my best to re-conciliate any differences in content that have arisen since then and figure out the best way forwards. If not I pledge to keep this running for years.

Please know that this is not a stab at GTANet administrators. I'm very glad with all the work they've done over the years. This is purely about preserving knowledge and trying to prevent fragmentation.

If you notice any issues with the imported content or the wiki in general, please let me know. Some pages that have not been opened yet by anyone might sometimes take a while to load but should be fast afterwards. I've also decided not to import user pages because not everyone might want to be involved on this new domain and I want to respect that.

(PS: Thanks for your offer floof. I've messaged you back but I did not receive a response)

guard3

This is great, thank you ❤️ We finally have access to the latest added info before the site ceased to exist!

Tomas.

Some pages are still missing for some reason, e.g. RenderWare or Sanny Builder (they are accessible via the API)

grovespaz

Hmm, you're right. It seems the enumeration api is lying to me. Thanks for letting me know, I'll look into it.