2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

ThatBenGuy

Saddest Mission in GTA IV, TLAD, or TBOGT

ThatBenGuy

For me it’s the Roman’s Holiday mission from GTA TLAD. In this mission, I legit felt EXTREMELY bad for BOTH Johnny Klebitz AND Roman Bellic! The reason being that Johnny Klebitz was being dragged into a situation where it was either he had to kidnap Roman or his drug addicted girlfriend named Ashley was gonna be killed by the Russian mobsters who requested for Johnny to do such. It’s also quite self explanatory as to why I felt terrible for Roman as well when he was kidnapped by Johnny and Malc. Johnny and Roman are both characters that I am a HUGE fan of! I almost cried during that mission. It makes me VERY happy that Niko came through to save Roman in the Hostile Negotiation mission in IV! Niko is not only my favorite protagonist but my favorite character in general throughout the whole series and that very mission makes me love him that much more!

What missions did any of you guys find the saddest or most tear jerking within either GTA IV, TLAD, or TBOGT?

Algonquin Assassin

-That Special Someone: After all those years Niko finally tracked down the man he was after and when he found out Darko stabbed him and his friends in the back for a measly $1000 you can definitely feel his anguish. 

-The Holland Play (Dwayne): Admittedly I only done this to see what the alternative was to killing PBX and needless to say it's not something I've done on repeated playthroughs. It's just sad how Dwayne gives up without a fight and Niko regrets it immediately. 

-Mr and Mrs Bellic (Deal): Oh man this one hurts. Throughout the whole game Niko and Roman are together through thick and thin so losing him to being killed by a hitman at his own wedding is just messed up. Even moreso when Mallorie says at the end he was going to be a dad.

-Have A Heart: This might sound strange as I don't like Manny, but I have to admit it was somewhat shocking. Jay was an innocent victim and the whole idea of taking their bodies to a black market doctor for their organs to be sold just sent chills up my spine. It wasn't one of those moments that made me want to cry. It was just a harsh reality check.

ThatBenGuy
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

-That Special Someone: After all those years Niko finally tracked down the man he was after and when he found out Darko stabbed him and his friends in the back for a measly $1000 you can definitely feel his anguish. 

-The Holland Play (Dwayne): Admittedly I only done this to see what the alternative was to killing PBX and needless to say it's not something I've done on repeated playthroughs. It's just sad how Dwayne gives up without a fight and Niko regrets it immediately. 

-Mr and Mrs Bellic (Deal): Oh man this one hurts. Throughout the whole game Niko and Roman are together through thick and thin so losing him to being killed by a hitman at his own wedding is just messed up. Even moreso when Mallorie says at the end he was going to be a dad.

-Have A Heart: This might sound strange as I don't like Manny, but I have to admit it was somewhat shocking. Jay was an innocent victim and the whole idea of taking their bodies to a black market doctor for their organs to be sold just sent chills up my spine. It wasn't one of those moments that made me want to cry. It was just a harsh reality check.

Now that you mention it, yeah, those four would have to be the second, third, fourth, and fifth most heart wrenching missions within all of GTA IV/EFLC. That Have a Heart mission was just downright gloomy as much as I don’t care for Manny. I chose to kill Playboy X in The Holland Play. I found it to be BS how all Playboy X cares about is paying Niko really big and then wanting nothing to do with Niko ever again, whereas Dwayne, on the other hand, will become Niko’s friend and give him Playboy’s house as a reward. I also truly believe the killing Playboy X mission is a lot more realistic of what really happened. I would also NEVER choose the Deal ending! This ending is about ten times worse than option B. killing Michael at the end of GTA V (in my opinion). Sorry Kate, you’re hot and I like you, but I gotta choose the Revenge ending, especially knowing what happened to Roman in the Roman’s Holiday mission from TLAD. I also believe that Revenge is the most realistic ending by a LONG SHOT! It’s just my personal belief that TRUE GTA players pick the Revenge ending! 

Edited by ThatBenGuy

Algonquin Assassin

I also forgot to mention The Master And The Molotov. Up until that point Faustin was made out to be the bad guy, but I have to admit it was pretty sad killing him after realising it was Dimitri all along that was the snake. I know Faustin was hardly a saint, but didn't think he necessarily needed to be killed.

Night walker

Tbh i laughing a lot at Roman holiday mission especially Brucie balls part 

Utopianthumbs

IV- A Revengers Tragedy. Niko's pain and anguish is palpable in this mission. Though for me the saddest part came after the mission when Kate phones Niko telling him she'll be there if he wants anything and Niko responds by saying he wants Roman back, that was really heart wrenching.

TLAD- Get Lost. It felt like the end of an era, like all the glory days and brotherhood are gone for good and it's only downhill from here (V kinda reaffirms this)

TBOGT- In the Crosshairs.  I felt really bad for the cook.

Crossbones

-Mr and Mrs Bellic (Deal) is definitely the saddest among all of the missions in IV+EFLC. Roman gets killed on the HAPPIEST day of his life as he claims is the most saddest part of the entire game. I chose dealing with Dimitri just to know how the ending would change and then comes up this, and I am like WTF just happened, f*ck you Dimitri, sorry Kate but you are going to die, I can't lose Roman. 

-That Someone Special

Niko: You killed my friends for one thousand dollars ?

Darko: How much do you charge to kill someone ? 

Marcos18
Posted (edited)

Edited by Marcos18

iiCriminnaaL 49
Posted (edited)

Here are my thoughts of the saddest moments of the GTA IV trilogy:

• The Holland Play (Dwayne); "You a f*cking snake like the rest of them." Niko realizes that he's obeying a traitor's orders to kill his former mentor who has already suffered enough and is actually living in a sh*thole. (saddest in IV, equally as Mr & Mrs Bellic, IMO)
  • That Special Someone; "You killed my friends for one thousand dollars?"
  • Mr & Mrs Bellic (Deal); Roman's death as well. (saddest in IV, equally as The Holland Play, IMO)
  • A Revenger's Tragedy (Deal); "Roman never hurt anyone."
  • This Sh*t's Cursed; two reasons: Billy's arrest (even though he's a snitch, he's my favorite character), and realizing his planned set up (this doesn't apply for someone who's in his first playthrough while knowing nothing about the game's story anyway.)
  • Was It Worth It?; the fact that Jim has been tortured by Boccino's goon, and then killed by Niko.
  • Get Lost; by then, you realize that Alderney's chapter of The Lost has been ripped off. Jason's death, Billy's betrayal, Brian's civil war, Jim's death, and then the Pegorinos f*ck the clubhouse up. If anyone else is into TLaD's story, I'm sure they'll be touched by watching Johnny, Angus, Terry and Clay abandone the clubhouse. (saddest in TLaD, IMO)
  • None.
Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

GiveMeLiberty78

Controversial (or maybe really stupid) response from me but possibly the first mission, 'The Cousins Bellic'? Because Niko says "Hove Beach, by the docks" then later says that many immigrants don't seem to go far beyond it - already sets up the game for some disappointing outcomes. I did wonder why the first mission was so short and why the drive was such short distance but with hindsight it actually makes sense - immigrants don't always integrate with society.

Also, in the first mission when Niko is driving to what Roman calls "the mansion" - either Roman lied and knows it's clearly not a mansion, or he genuinely considers it a mansion, but either way it's kinda pathetic/sad.

As I replay the game I'll keep this thread in mind, thanks OP!

Penguin Bob
3 minutes ago, manana500 said:

Also, in the first mission when Niko is driving to what Roman calls "the mansion" - either Roman lied and knows it's clearly not a mansion, or he genuinely considers it a mansion, but either way it's kinda pathetic/sad.

Roman lied to Niko about having a "mansion". He also lied about having condos, sports cars, and the women. (although he didn't lie about Mallorie) I don't see how that's sad or anything but it is your opinion. 

OT: GTA IV: Mr. and Mrs. Bellic. (Deal). Although Roman is kinda of an idiot and I see why some people would want him dead, but this was one of the most darkest mission/cutscene in GTA history. Niko loses his own cousin just because Dimitri sent a hitman to Roman's wedding.(a.k.a, the most happiest day of his life). Not only to mention that the hitman was actually trying to kill Niko! Sorry Kate, but family comes first.

The Holland Play (Dwayne): One of the main reasons why I killed Playboy X instead of Dwayne. Dwayne was already depressed, and he was a low life. I would have done him a favor if I killed him. The execution was also pretty dark and sad. Even Niko couldn't even look at himself killing him. And you only get a couple a bucks for it. At least if you kill Playboy X, you get spend time with Dwayne and you get his apartment. Playboy on the other hand, doesn't want to speak with you and basically tells you to f*ck off after you kill Dwayne.

That Special Someone: Niko finally encounters the man he was trying to look for and he finds out that Darko killed his friends for $1,000. Once you killed him, Niko will still feel empty and regrets that he killed him. (Hint: It will look more sad and dark when you make it rain in-game!)

A Revenger's Tragedy (The Deal Ending): This was beyond sad. He kills Dimitri, but knowing that it won't bring back his cousin. These are the two quotes that hit me hard, "Roman...never hurt anyone." "I want Roman back.". It also rains throughout the entire mission. 

I will certainly list off TLAD and TBOGT but I just need to think about them because I haven't played those two games in a while.

GiveMeLiberty78
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Penguin Bob said:

Roman lied to Niko about having a "mansion". He also lied about having condos, sports cars, and the women. (although he didn't lie about Mallorie) I don't see how that's sad or anything but it is your opinion. 

<snip>

Yeah the more I get into replaying GTA 4, it seems that Roman just lied about it, but if he were deluded/genuinely thought he had a "mansion" in Hove Beach and all those other things then that would be sad (as in upsetting but also a bit pathetic).

About "That Special Someone" - does it rain automatically for that mission? I remember some missions in GTA 5 had specific music playing in particular missions but can't remember if weather events were scripted for some missions too. Rain would definitely complete the 'pathetic fallacy' and make it that much more sad and dark.

Edited by manana500

Penguin Bob
14 hours ago, manana500 said:

About "That Special Someone" - does it rain automatically for that mission? I remember some missions in GTA 5 had specific music playing in particular missions but can't remember if weather events were scripted for some missions too. Rain would definitely complete the 'pathetic fallacy' and make it that much more sad and dark.

No, it does not rain automatically. 

Penguin Bob

*continuing from my other post*

TLAD:  Roman's Holiday: I honestly felt really bad for Roman. I once slowed down the car and let him escape but of course I did the mission properly the next try.

Get Lost: It was a pretty good final mission where you had to shoot up a prison to execute Billy, but the fact that they burned down the clubhouse at the end makes it really sad and dark.

TBOGT: There's honestly no sad/dark missions on TBOGT. All of the missions felt alive tbh.

DutchSoldier

For GTA IV I think the wedding and the option that roman dies.